Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See chapter 1
Need more reviews. Enjoy!



Internment


Undisclosed vicinity – 20:00



The monitors were lined along the wall. Several showed a dishevelled Miss Parker from different angles where she sat against the wall. Her knees were drawn towards her body, her arms hugging them. Her hands were wrapped in cloth; patches of brown stains were the gashes had leaked through. Her jagged trousers made one think of Huckleberry Finn, especially since her bare feet was streaked with dirt.


It was very obvious that the woman on the screen was slowly succumbing to the mental deprivation that he decided on. Good. He knew Miss Parker, her strength that could also be her weakness. He needed to keep her off balance, to make her suffer and wither away before moulding her to the image that he needed. Once she understood her destiny she would come to accept her place in the Parker legacy. One way or the other.


**********


Safe house



Mr White and the sweepers encircled the table, a map spread out before them. It was a local topographical map of one of the farms. Spread out on it was red and blue markers.


“Sam, make sure that you’re team has these exit points covered,” he indicated the blue markers on the map to the east and west of the farmhouse.


Signifying to another sweeper he continued with his instructions, ensuring that everyone understood their role fully in the coming assault.


“We know that Michael Hardy has served in the Vietnam War and that he is a decorated officer. The boy had probably told him part of the truth and I expect that he would be wary. We have no idea what sort of ammunition he has but I suspect that he does have a hunting rifle. He is a good shot, so take him out if you get the chance. The boy must not be harmed. Am I clear?”


Looking at each man he made sure that they understood his commands.


“Very well, let’s get going.”


Entering the room where the major was kept he looked over at the bruised man.


“Major, your son would be joining you soon. If I were you I would get some sleep. We have a lot of travel before us.”


He left with the major’s enraged voice following before a grunt of pain ended the tirade.



**********


The Centre – SL 27



Jarod was back in his cell. He was exhausted, emotionally and physically. After he had performed the simulation, Lyle had him taken back here. Turning on his side, he tried to find a way of supporting his aching leg. All he wanted to do was sleep and forget what he had learned today. The slow pulses of pain kept his eyes open and he whished that he had never had this gift of becoming someone else. All he ever wanted was a family and to do the normal things others could.


She was still there; inside him just like all the others he had simmed. But somehow this was worse. It felt like he had violated something sacred between them. He felt the tears come again as he thought about the words on the mirror. He didn’t want to but her feelings came back again. The numbness, the shock she must have felt when she stood in front of that image. Her first impression must have been Tommy’s blood ridden face when she had found him that fateful morning. It could have followed with one of her mother’s supposed suicide.


Firmly, he pressed the memories down as he moved to the safe place he had created in his mind. He tried to ignore the spasms in his leg as he burrowed closer to the wall. The slow drip of the water in his cell was somehow reassuring and he concentrated on that till his breath deepened. He opened his mind to where he and his childhood friend were happy and once again exploring the world around them. Breaths deepening, Jarod relaxed as exhaustion overtook him.


**********
The monitor room - SL 27

Lyle watched his pretender drift to sleep. A small smile seemed to tuck at the corners of his mouth, his hand tracing Jarod’s outline on the screen. It stopped on the left leg, seeming to linger before he broke contact when he heard the latch on the control room open. Turning, he couldn’t believe it when Sydney entered the room. The psychiatrist was clearly upset but Lyle was now livid. How dare Sydney enter his sanctum?


“What are you doing here?” he asked; his voice cold.


“Lyle, I told you that Jarod was not yet ready for the sim. Do you have any idea what this could have done to him?”


Lyle stared at the older man. Taking two steps he entered Sydney’s personal space. His blue eyes were like ice, his whole demeanour aggressive.


“Are you losing your objectivity in your subject, Sydney? If so, I am sure that Raines and the Triumvirate would be very interested to know that their suspicions are true regarding your feelings for the pretender.”


Sydney ignored Lyle’s attempt at intimidation as he continued, “You know as well as I do, Lyle, that Jarod’s health is very important to the success of his simulations. If something is interfering with that, it is my responsibility to make sure that everything possible is done to ensure his safety.”


Taking a step back, Sydney returned Lyle’s stare. Leaning back slightly, he crossed his arms in front of his body, daring the younger man to refute what he had said. He knew he played a dangerous game but looking at the screen and Jarod’s sleeping form he was more than willing to do it.


“Jarod is still recovering from whatever has befallen him before he was returned to the Centre. Since I am kept out of the loop regarding that, though I do not doubt that you have anything to do with it, I have to use whatever means I can to try and protect his further well being. That includes when and how he is to perform these simulations, especially regarding Miss Parker’s.”


Lyle’s mouth drew a thin line as he listened to Jarod’s mentor, his gaze never leaving the older man’s face. His face angry, he smoothly replied,


“Sydney, I think you are seriously misconstrued if you think that you are still in charge of the Pretender Project. Raines only asked you to help with the current simulation because of your relationship with Jarod and the fact that he needed results fast. As soon as Parker or her body for that matter is returned to the Centre, Jarod will become mine. If I were you Sydney, I would get my personal affects in order. I hear that Raines has become fed up with your interference.”


Sydney’s eyes narrowed at the hidden threat. He had not been aware of any changes regarding his mentorship and he knew that the time had come for him to make a decision regarding his prodigy’s future. Taking one last look at the screen of the sleeping form, he turned and left hoping that Lyle would once again underestimate him.


**********


The Ranch – 21:00



J sat in the dark with Michael, his breath short and fast, his ears straining to hear the crunch of footsteps. He was scared; things seemed to unravel fast and nothing was working out the way he had planned it.


Shortly after the sweepers had left he had felt safe until the rancher had tried to call his brother. When the only sound they heard was static, J knew that the Centre had found him. Calmly Michael had looked out the windows before closing the curtains.



J was startled as the slow crunch of the glass they had strewn across the porch betrayed the approach of one of the attackers. The comforting hand of the rancher helped calm him a little.


“We will need to make a stand. They left someone to watch the house. Are you up to this, son?”


Nodding, J slowly rose and followed the quiet directions of the rancher.




J felt the cold barrel of the twelve bore shotgun he held in his hands. He had never imagined it to feel this heavy. This whole day seemed like one big unreality.


“Son, this is how you load a shot gun. Point and shoot, the pellets will spread so you don’t have to worry about aiming. Press the butt firmly against your shoulder or the recoil will bruise you.”


Nodding J took the shotgun, expertly loading it the way he was shown. The look of surprise on the rancher’s face was quickly replaced with stoicism, accepting the fact that a seventeen year old teen that had never held a gun would be able to handle it like a pro the first time.



J kept his eyes closed as instructed when the first gas canister smashed through a window, creating a blinding flash before smoke started to roil from it. His breath sounded metallic, the gas mask ensuring safety from the smoke and teargas. His gun faced the front door, his finger next to the trigger guard.


“I have an exit tunnel that I built a long while ago. We will try and hold them, make them think they have us cornered before we make our escape.”



He heard the muffled shouts of commands as the sweepers breached the house in a military style. J jerked as the front door splintered open, the silhouette of a masked gunman standing against the backdrop of the moonlit sky. Closing his eyes, his finger entered the trigger guard, pulling before the thought of killing another human being could enter his mind. The blast deafened him. He had never thought that a gunshot would be that loud. Time seemed to stand still while he watched the black form fly backwards.


The smoke still swirled around him, making the whole battle unreal. He could see flashes from where Michael’s semi automatic spread a deadly arc of cover fire. Turning back to the door he felt his finger tighten as another figure tried to enter again. Slowly moving backwards he felt something brush his ear. Ignoring the stinging sensation he kept on retreating from the onslaught, the sound of the shotgun vibrating in his ear till all he heard was a click of the firing pin on air. He still felt his finger tighten on the trigger before he fully realised that it was his gun that was empty.


Discarding the shotgun, he entered the closet. Grabbing a pistol, he cocked it before searching for the latch that the rancher had shown him earlier. His panicked movements nearly made him loose it. Closing his eyes and ears he breathed, slowing his senses down before finding the latch covering. He felt Michael’s body next to his when the black maw of the hidden tunnel opened before them. Entering, he watched as the rancher threw the grenade towards the centre of the room. The cover closed as the grenade went of with a deafening blast, killing the sweepers that had entered the room. Chaos reigned in the house as the two fugitives made their way as silently as possible down the passageway.


**********


The Centre


“Broots, where are you?” Sydney asked as he entered the tech room. Looking around him finally spotted the bald technician sleeping on the spare bed set in the corner. Shaking Broots’ arm he waited as the tech jerked awake wildly before settling down.


“Sydney, uh…what?” he muttered as he wiped sleep from his eyes.


“Broots, I need you to find something for me.”


Broots, barely awake stared at the older man’s face. He thoughts were still jumbled, the dream he had of Miss Parker still lingering in his mind.


“Broots!”


Looking at Sydney, Broots felt surprise etched on his face. Never before had Sydney used that tone with him. Scrambling out of the bed he saw the psychiatrist’s tired face.


“Sydney, are you all right?”


Signing, he put a hand on the tech’s shoulder, silently asking his forgiveness.


“I need you to do a search of Lyle’s diary for the past month. Also of all calls that Lyle made that was not business related.”


“I can do it from here. I had installed a programme that allows me access to …”


“I just want the information, Broots. Please.” Sydney interrupted the technician. Leaving, he turned and said, “And Broots. Thanks.”



**********



The Ranch



J wiped his sweat covered face, their breathing audible in his ears. They had dropped their gasmasks halfway down the tunnel. At the command from the rancher he doused the flashlight. Darkness seemed to highlight the spot lights that seemed to dance in front of his eyes. Closing them, he waited five seconds before opening them again. He felt the reassuring grip of the pistol in his hand as he waited for the next move. The rancher slowly lifted the trapdoor to scan the area for any sweepers.


“Clear” came the soft whisper.


Slowly, silently the exited the tunnel. Crouching, they crept towards where Michael had left his Dodge Ram.


They were halfway there when the universe seemed to stop. J was still putting one leg down when he watched the rancher jerk back. To him it looked like an invisible rope had been tied to Michael’s back, pulling him first left than right in an illusion of a dance. By the time his foot touched the ground the rancher was flat on his back, his face turned away from him. J saw something dark spread slowly outwards from the body as hands grabbed his arms, twisting the gun from his hand. His gaze couldn’t leave the sight of the rancher as he was pulled backwards. Rough hands pulled his face around. Looking into the light gaze of the Albino he felt the cold links of the cuffs on his wrists.


“Tell me Gemini. Did you really think you could outrun the Centre?”


His shocked face still tried to focus on the outline on the cold desert floor. Moving back to Mr. White’s face he felt tears drip down. The events of the past two days seemed to press down on his mind, creating a whirlpool of images that culminated back to the moment when Michael’s body jerked as the bullets entered it.


He felt a slight prick on his arm. Ignoring it, he looked back at the widening pool. He thought he saw his reflection edged in the viscous liquid before everything went dark.



**********


The Centre



Lyle had just entered his car when his cell phone rang.


“Lyle”


Listening to the voice on the other side, his eyes glinted, a smile spreading across his face.


“Good. I want them here as soon as possible.”


Closing the phone, he whistled tunelessly as he started his car and drove home.


**********


Sunday morning 31st – the Centre – 4:00



Jarod awoke with a start, the clank of his cell door still ringing in his ears. Before he could focus, a black bag enveloped his head. Shouting, he tried to remove the obstruction. His right hand made contact with someone’s body. Grabbing the cloth his left made a short jab. Another pair of hands pulled him from the bunk, forcing him to loose his grip on the other’s clothes. His breath was coming in short gasps as he twisted and turned, trying to get rid of the suffocating mask he had on. He felt the cold links of the shackles as the closed on his wrists before pulling him in a standing position. His arms stretched passed his head, his muscles straining against the uncomfortable position he was held in. He body shook as his top was forcibly removed. He could hear the buttons pop, the material loudly ripping; leaving burn marks across his skin. Bringing his breathing under control, he knew without doubt who it was that had orchestrated what was to come.


He heard the clank of a bucket. Bracing himself he waited for the cold splash of water. When nothing happened, he relaxed slightly. His gasp filled the cell when the water splashed over his head, molding the bag to his face. Gasping, he nearly panicked when the wet bag made him gag watery air. Once again, they waited till he calmed down.


“You have been a good boy, Jarod. Doing what you’re told. But there is still the little matter of our previous meeting down in the basement of the house where you had locked in Parker and me.”


Jarod could hear Lyle circling his swinging body. What made him cringe was the sound of what Lyle had in his hand. The crackle of the cattle prod sounded loud in his ears. He tried to brace himself but was still surprised when the two prongs touched his ribs. He felt his body convulse, his screams echoing around the room. Closing his mind, Jarod felt himself drift off while Lyle continued his fun for what he reckoned another thirty minutes.


**********


Undisclosed vicinity



He carefully arranged Parker’s body on the mattress. He meticulously positioned her head on the plush pillow he had genially decided to give. Brushing finely at a stray hair, his fingers continued their touch. He traced the softness of her lips, his finger gliding gently across her cheek. For a solitary moment he found himself savouring the helpless state of his captive. He allowed a slight smile to betray his personal enjoyment of having total control over her. Rising, he grabbed the filthy clothes she had been wearing and threw it into the bucket that held his cleaning equipment. He continued to tidy the room. Replenishing the bottles of water she had drank, cleaning the can opener. He left everything exactly the way she had found it the first time, except for one thing. Opening the cupboard he removed the photo. Unzipping the bag that hung from his side, he took out a red notebook. Opening it, he once more gave it a look through. His eyes travelled back towards where Parker laid, a sinister smile gracing his features when he ritualistically places the notebook into the empty space of the cupboard.


Gathering all his equipment, he made another round ensuring that everything was precisely as he wanted it. Grabbing a rung of the ladder he made his ascent, leaving a clean and bandaged Parker behind.


**********


Please let me know what you think. It hastens chapters. ;-)