Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See chapter 1
Thanks for the reviews. Hope the wait was worth it.


Concession


Jarod
For Centre use only


The expanded room was divided into two sections. Darkness ruled the one side, occasional movement noticeable as vague forms shifted stances with breathing the only noise heard. Light spilled from the other side where a lone figure stood, unaware of the focus.


One of the forms shifted, moving slightly towards the light seemingly to reach toward a dream. Silently the movement draws attention as the focus draws closer. Watching, recording.


Words flow and are caught, only to be set down where it can never be lost. Almost silent, the words are given life in one gentle question.


“Jarod?”


The lone figure draws in another life giving breath and seems to hold it for eternity.


Refocusing, the silhouette becomes the only point of contact. Another slow breath is taken. The stance changes, the tall man seeming to shrink into himself. Slowly, almost imperceptibly he straightens again. The silhouette seems to mirror the transformation, becoming slimmer and almost more feminine.


Gradually the light is invaded. One step. Then another is taken painfully. Hands touch the bed, feeling the smooth texture of the silk. The body tired, stretches out and lies down. The hand finds the safety of the gun under the pillow. The back faces the darkness, unaware of the tenseness of the forms.


Dark hair spread on the pillow and with eyes closed, the right hand moves toward the phone. Touching air, the eyes open.


“I am tired, Sydney. I need sleep. Why can’t I be left alone?”


Unhurriedly, the one form shifts, concentration flowing from every pore and enveloping his being.


“Why?”


The body shifts, the forms relaxing slightly as the empty hand leaves the pillow. Sitting on the edge of the bed, the figure holds its head. Drawing a deep breath the answer comes swollen with a hidden ache.


“Someone had been phoning, interrupting my sleep. My head hurts. My body is exhausted.”


“Jarod, I need you to concentrate. What did Miss Parker do when she woke up?”


Once again, the focus is drawn back to the light. Another breath, another change in emotion.


“I threw the phone against the wall. I am angry now. I just want to be left in peace.”


Shifting, the figure stands. Balancing, the hand reaches and touches the dent. Feeling and inspecting the crescent shape carved into the wall. The words almost got away. The lips formed them so quietly; they seemed to barely whisper their meaning before they disappeared.


“I just want to be left alone.”


**********


The ranch – 14:30



“Son, I need you to wake up for me, ok.”


J whimpered as a calloused hand lightly slapped his burnt cheeks. His eyes opened and focused on the kind face of the rancher that had picked him up on the highway. Green eyes looked back at him, the worry in them very obvious.


“Can you drink this?”


Nodding, J took the glass and sipped at the cold water. He had never tasted anything better and he had to stop himself from gulping it down.


Keeping silent, he shifted slightly on the worn out couch he had lain on. His skin seemed to have a life of its own. The heat waves from it seemed to warm the air around him. Looking down he watched as the rancher removed his shoes. He saw him flinch. His feet were stuck to his socks, the colour forever changed to a red brownish tint. Shaking his head, the rancher got up and moved out of J’s sight.


Coming back, he put a basin filled with water by his feet. Gently he took one foot and slowly started to soak it. J’s grip tightened around the glass, the burning sensation of his sweat dried body overtaken by the open blisters. Silently, the rancher gently soaks his feet till the socks are loose enough to be removed.


**********


Jarod
For Centre use only



The figure was leaning against the wall, one hand caressing the dent. Looking up, his hand drops and he turns towards the darkness, facing it head-on.


“I cannot do this Sydney. My feelings are confused; I can’t make sense of them.”


One of the forms takes an aggressive stance. The other placates before refocusing on the lone figure in the light.


“Jarod, open yourself to her feelings, to what she experienced. We need to do this to find her.”


Closing his eyes, the body once again become still. Nothing seemed to stir the air as the focus drew closer and closer on the face. Eye lashes quivered. A lone tear escaped, travelling downwards before gravity pulled it to the floor.


The focus widened again as the silhouette moved from the wall back to the bed. Swallowing, the face darkened before another deeper breath was taken.


“I went back to sleep, Sydney. It didn’t happen now. The person must have snuck in while I slept. I was too exhausted. I didn’t hear anything.”


“That’s good Jarod. Keep it up.”


The forms watched as the pretender lay back on the bed. This time the hand did not stray to the pillow. The body seemed to relax, the breaths deeper as if asleep.


**********


The Ranch



J watched while the last of the bandage was wrapped around his feet. They felt better already. His face was glistening from the burn relief that the man had put on. It felt cold and good.


“Mind telling me why I picked you up on the highway with no water and heatstroke?”


J’s brown eyes met the rancher’s as he tried to determine how much he could tell the man.


“Please don’t lie to me. I was in the war and I know what a hunted human looks like.”


Deciding, J started his tale with regular sips from the glass of cold water that sat next to him.


**********

Jarod
For Centre use only



The figure on the bed shifted, stretched. Arms slowly retracted, one hand sliding under the pillow.


“Something is not right, Sydney. I never wake up with the sun on my face. Somehow the curtains had been opened.” A brief pause is noticed, the hand sliding from the pillow empty.


“My gun is gone. My heart rate is increasing. There has to be someone in the house.”


Furtively, the body shifts to a sitting position. Hands reached down and seemed to grab something.


“I need to find a weapon. I grab some clothes to put on, something that will give me some freedom in my movement.”


Standing painfully, the head moves slowly, searching the room.


“I don’t see anyone. My door is closed. I’ll check the bathroom first; it is the best tactical move for the moment.”


Slowly, two painful steps are taken, a hand reaching toward the door to swing it open completely. Another step before the figure stops. The head lifts and the body becomes sculptured, every muscle edged to a standstill.



**********

Secondary Safe house – 16:00



Major Charles sat on the bunk, his eyes on his cuffed hands. They had dropped him in a cell with a guard. He had no idea where he was or what the Albino’s next move was going to be. He only hoped that they would leave J alone, though he knew that it was a fool’s hope.


Mr White was in the next room with a huge map of the Midwest spread out before him. The sweepers had surrounded the table as he pointed at the surrounding farmhouses.


“The person who picked up the boy has to be a local. I want teams of four to search these indicated farms. Be aware that the boy is hurt so be on the lookout when you’re at the farms for any first aid rubbish. We have two day leeway to find the boy. Make sure you do.”


**********

Simlab - The Centre



Jarod’s eyes through Miss Parker’s met the words. It seemed to be the only thing that he could focus on for the moment. They seemed to have a life of their own. He felt her chest constrict, her breath stolen away by the pulsating words. They seemed to lift from their mirror image in a violent tornado. She become the centre of the eye as they seemed to swirl around her body, teasing and bullying her senses till all he could do was cry for refuge. His words seemed to be assimilated in the whirling clamour that seemed to be all around, deafening him. He wasn’t even aware when his body hit the ground, curling tight on itself in an effort to protect himself…herself. He didn’t know who anymore as his cries kept on coming. Then he felt arms around him, arms that he knew well. His head slipped familiarly into the crook of his mentor’s neck while he was rocked as if a child. The clamour slowly died down, the words reluctantly returning to their place. Jarod felt safe as Sydney’s arms surrounded him in a cocoon of love. He felt his stomach heave and heard the sobs that left his body. He scooted even closer, trying to bury what he had seen.


**********


The ranch



J awoke to voices from outside. He felt his sides clench when he heard the familiar voice from one of the sweepers that had hunted him. He stayed where he was, hoping that they would leave. Hearing the slam of car doors, he relaxed as he heard the cars drove off. His door opened to reveal the rancher.


“I told them that they had better leave before I called the sheriff. I guess they don’t want any involvement with the law.”


“Thanks.”


“Tomorrow morning I’ll drive you to the city. My brother should be able to help us.”


J was grateful. After he had told the man of his escape he had agreed to help him. They were going to try and find where his dad was being kept. With the resources he had he hoped that he would be able to come up with a plan to save his dad while keeping out of the clutches of the Centre.


**********

Simlab - The Centre



After a while, Sydney slowly loosened Jarod’s grip.


“Jarod?” he asked softly, his concerned gaze settling on the pretender’s ravaged face.


Nodding, the pretender tried to burrow deeper into the warmth of Sydney’s embrace.


“I need to know what you saw.”


The older man watched with concern as Jarod shook his head. He looked for a moment like the frightened little boy he had consoled once. Loosening his grip further, he softly said,


“Jarod, remember why you are here. I need you to concentrate. I will be with you the whole time.”


The pretender seemed to close his eyes for a moment. He answered with a hoarse voice,


“The words on the mirror frightened her. It was the reason it was put there. To terrify and inflict pain. It was the reason that he could sneak up on her. He hit her with some solid object. She didn’t see his face. She, oh Sydney, I…I feel lost.”


Sydney’s arms surrounded him again, a warning look to Lyle.


“Jarod, you did well. I am very proud of you.”


Jarod felt his heart lighten when he heard the words. Hugging Sydney, he slowly let go.


Raising unhurriedly, mentor and prodigy kept hold of each other. Turning from the darkness they faced the mirror. The jagged words stayed where they were; as if they knew that their power is broken. Jarod saw his reflection between the words, split by the malevolent red markings. To Miss Parker those words must have burned and pillaged her already vulnerable soul. He could only hope that she would survive intact. Moving from his broken image he once more gave his attention to the menacing markings. Slashed, ugly they stood and glared back, saying:

Destroyer of love



**********

Would love to hear your views, may hasten the next chapter. ;-)