Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See chapter 1

Thanks for the reviews. It is the reason we write.


Subjugation




Sydney's office - the Centre, 18:15




Lyle entered the psychiatrist's office without announcing his presence first. Things were really going well and he meant to keep the pretender's mentor off balance. He wondered how Sydney would react to the news that he was bringing.


Lyle seated himself in the leather chair across from Sydney, his face nondescript. Staring at the doctor he allowed a small smile to play on his lips.


"Sydney, have you heard anything from Jarod lately?"


Sydney sat back in his chair, imitating Lyle. He stayed silent, inspecting the words, scrutinising Lyle's body language and tone of voice.


"Well?" the tone questioning, an eyebrow raised.


"Lyle, you know as well as I do that Jarod did not have any contact with the Centre for over a month. Why are you so suddenly concerned over the welfare of Jarod when your sister has clearly been violently kidnapped?"


Lyle smiled inwardly at the exasperated tone from Sydney. Keeping his face neutral he continued with the game.


"Jarod would always be a concern for the Centre. He is our property and as such need to be reacquired. Miss Parker, on the other hand is just one more loyal employee. Her failure to pitch up for work will never take the place of Jarod's absence."


"Without Miss Parker, you will never capture Jarod. She is part of the game he plays with us and he will never willingly leave her to be assimilated in the Centre."


"I am disappointed in you Syd. Do you really think that my sister is the only reason that Jarod had not disappeared yet or for that matter the only one who is able to catch him?"


Sydney's eyes narrowed. Lyle was up to something and this whole debate they had going at this moment was superfluous. He was tired and wanted to go home. He missed Parker and he needed to do some more research on the dictum that Angelo had repeated when Raines had used the empath to find her.


"What is the real reason that you're here, Lyle?" he asked not even bothering to hide his irritation.


Lyle kept his expression innocent, "There is a project that Raines want you to help with. He needs you here tomorrow at six."


"What type of project?" Sydney asked disinterestedly as he started to get up from behind his desk. He was really not in the mood to handle one of Raines' failures.


"Oh, if I recall correctly it was called the Pretender project." Smiling he watched as Sydney slowly sank back into his chair.


"When?" came softly as he tried to process the news.


"He came in last night. Not that I care but Raines want Parker found."


"Can I see him now?" Sydney pleaded, hoping that Lyle would accede.


"Sorry Syd. Wonder boy needs his sleep." Lyle grinned as he stood up to leave. “I am sure you can spend some quality time together in the morning.”



**********


Dead Creek, 18:30



The crunch of feet stopped just a few inches from where J was hiding under the scrub brush.


His face and hands were scratched from the thorn bushes he had been forced to hide under. Sweat had created their own pathways down his dusty features, forcing him to bite his lip as they aggravated the cuts, creating a burning sensation were they intercepted one another. He had been on the run, playing hide and seek for the past four hours, trying to stay one step ahead of the trackers. He needed to find a place to rest for the night. The day had rapidly started to cool down and he had nothing besides his torn t-shirt to keep him warm.


“Find anything?” the harsh voice come from just above where he was hiding.


“No, let’s check the south trail again.”

Hearing the sweepers depart, J stayed where he was for another ten minutes. They had almost caught him twice when they had double-backed.


He leopard-crawled out of the small space, feeling his shirt tuck and then rip from where it got caught in the branches. Checking the surrounding area, he made sure that he was alone before slowly standing up. Glancing at the rising full moon he started to step furtively through the undergrowth.



The cave, Dead Creek – 19:00




“I want everyone to assemble at my current position.”


Mr White put the radio down as he walked over to where his irate prisoner was kept. Motioning to the guard he waited till the Major was on his feet, sandwiched between the two bulky sweepers.


“The success of my mission dictates that I have both of you alive. Your son has been outside without food or water for four and a half hours. Do you want him dead, Major?”


Staring at the soulless man in front of him, the major stayed silent. The sweeper on his right took a step to the side and before he could even think of turning he was back handed across the face.


“Major, I am normally a patient man but under the circumstances I am sure you’ll understand if I am getting a bit concerned with the amount of time a normal exercise like this is at present taking.” He paused slightly before continuing, “Do you have any idea where the boy would hide in these hills?”


The major shook his head, bracing himself for what he knew was coming. His head was slammed sideways again, his lower lip split open down the middle. Staring defiantly at the albino he straightened his shoulders.

“I will never help you to find any of my sons, no matter what you do to me.”


A sinister smile seemed to grace Mr White’s face.


“Who says we’re searching for both your sons?”


With that revelation he left the major to the sweepers, the sound of fists hitting flesh and the major's grunts of pain absorbed by the age old rock.



**********


Saturday morning 30th - Undisclosed vicinity – 1:00


Miss Parker gradually awoke. She was slightly surprised when she finally opened her eyes to find that nothing had changed. The square hole in the wall was still there, the imprint where she had sat in the dust unchanged, the discarded can opener still stained with dry blood. Her hands were stiff, the gashes red and puffy.


She had not spoken to another human being for a while now. She had not seen anyone for that matter. She didn't want to admit it but the loneliness was starting to get to her. She had never before claimed to understand Jarod's reluctance in coming back to the Centre. To her it was just another task to complete before she was free of the Centre's influence.


She allowed her internal cage a little freedom as she scrubbed her hands. Her eyes watered with unshed tears and she angrily wiped at them. She watched the blood drain away down the toilet bowl, her hands red and wrinkled from the exposure to the water.


"Just let me see your face!" she screamed at the impersonal grate, her voice echoing through the room until it faded away.


No answer, no noise. Nothing but her slow unravelling of sanity.



**********


The Centre – 5:00



Jarod awoke with a start, the nightmare images still filling his mind, shrieking and taunting. He was covered in sweat, his heart rate rapid. It took him a moment or two before the reality of his situation came crushing down on him. He was back at the Centre and Lyle had managed with one picture to disavow his promises he had sealed when he had left the first time. His nightmares were real. He would do the simulation; give in to save another life.


The clank of his cell door lifted his head and he watched as Willie parked the wheelchair by the bed.


"Get in."


It was the same terse command that Lyle had given yesterday. Sighing, he lifted himself into the chair. The day was just beginning.



**********


Dead creek



J woke stiffly, his body cold and aching from the previous day's exertions. He had finally found a place to rest, burrowing underneath some sagebrush. He was thirsty and he needed to find something to drink. He needed time to think without being harassed by his hunters. He needed to find a situation out of this for him and his dad. Too many things he needed to do and no resources.


Checking the surrounding area carefully he eyed the rising sun. Orientating himself he started a slight jog towards the north east.



**********


The Centre



Sydney couldn’t wait to see Jarod anymore. He was pacing the sim lab, checking his watch every so often. Lyle had not explained the circumstances of Jarod's capture to him. He had no idea what his prodigy is going to look like. He just hoped that Jarod had not been hurt too badly.


Sydney stood still and watched as Willie entered the room, pushing Jarod in a wheelchair. The pretender's hair was still slightly wet and from the look on his face Sydney knew that the shower had not been a willing affair. He waited as the dark sweeper parked the chair by the table. Nodding at Sydney, the sweeper left the room leaving him alone with his surrogate son.


"Jarod, what happened? Are you alright?" Dragging a chair across the room he sat down by Jarod, staring intently at the evasive pretender's face.


"I'm fine, Sydney. Just a little banged up." Sydney watched with growing concern as the lie flowed from Jarod's lips without pause. Touching Jarod on his arm, he tried to get the pretender to focus on him.


"Jarod, did Lyle do this?" he asked quietly, remembering the conversation he had last night.


Jarod refused to look at Sydney. Faintly shaking his head he remembered what Lyle had said to him this morning.


Willie had just helped him from the shower when Lyle had entered the room. Jarod sat with a towel around his shoulders, another one around his middle while he waited for the sweeper to bring him his clothes. The scars on his leg were a vivid white against his skin.


The chairman's son had knelt down, running his hand down Jarod's scarred leg, his fingers lightly tracing the lines. Meeting his angry gaze Lyle tightened his hand around his ankle. Pain seemed to blossom from the spot where his captor’s hand had curled, spreading like an opening flower. Jarod tried to keep the moan from erupting from his lips, the blonde man clearly enjoying the pain he knew he was inflicting. Abruptly he let go and stood up, smoothly warning,


"Jarod, be assured that Sydney will suffer the same consequences if he ever find out what happened to our little game in the park. To an old man I am sure that it could prove fatal."


"You touch him, Lyle and…" Jarod started to growl,
"And what, Jarod." Grabbing the pretender's face, he brought his closer until they almost touched, his cold eyes searching Jarod's features. Lyle's ringing phone saved the pretender from answering. With a warning look he left, only answering when he left the room. Jarod had sat there numbly, knowing that Lyle would make good on his promise if he told Sydney.



“Sydney, inquisitive as always, I see.” Lyle said, strolling across the floor towards where the pretender and his mentor sat. Placing the tray of green slop in front of Jarod he commented, “Bon appetite.”


Sydney did not miss out on the looks that passed between the two. He concern deepened when Jarod broke eye contact first and took up the spoon. Following Lyle he grabbed his arm before the younger man could exit.


“Lyle, I want to know why Jarod is in a wheelchair.”


“What can I say, Syd. Jarod is accident prone. He somehow shattered his left leg. He is lucky we found him before he could hurt himself further.”


“Lyle.” Sydney’s accented voice reproached with a look of disbelief on his face as suspicions formed in his mind.


Lyle’s angry gaze met Sydney’s, all civility gone from his voice, “Sydney, if I were you I would be very grateful for the chance to work with the Pretender again. If it were up to me, you would have still been moping about Parker’s disappearance upstairs. Don’t test my patience.” Making sure that he had the psychiatrist’s full attention he continued, his words low and menacing, “Make sure you and wonder boy over there do as you’re told. I am sure that you are aware of what failure would bring.” Jerking his arm from Sydney’s grip, he left the simulation lab.



**********


Dead Creek – 11:00



J was grabbing his knees, his heaving chest trying to suck in air. He used one hand to wipe at the dry sweat streaks across his face. The open areas of skin was burned an ugly red, his lips blistered and dry from dehydration. Hearing the sound of baying he stumbled forward, trying to get his bleeding feet to obey his commands.



**********

The Centre



"Do you want to take a break?" Sydney asked, hoping that Jarod would agree. Nodding the pretender closed the file he had been working on. The older man was worried. Something had obviously happened between Jarod and Lyle and his ward had not spoken to him besides what was required as a response. He could see that Jarod was tired and that the exertion required was tapping the limited resources that he had. He knew that Jarod was not yet ready for a full simulation nevertheless with Lyle hovering they had no choice but to proceed.


Jarod watched as Sydney sat down across from him.


"Why won't you tell me what happened" was quietly asked.


Shaking his head, Jarod found that he still couldn’t face his mentor. Every time he looked at him he heard Lyle's words.


"Jarod, be assured that Sydney will suffer the same consequences if he ever find out what happened to our little game in the park. To an old man it might prove fatal."



He did not want to be responsible for another death, especially Sydney’s.



**********


The Cave



“What do you mean you lost him?”


“Somebody picked him up at the highway. We must have missed him by ten minutes.”


“Ok, I’ll send Joe to pick your people up. We’ll meet up at the secondary safe house.”


Closing the phone with a rare display of anger, the albino motioned to one of the guards.
“Pack up. I want us to be mobile in five minutes. Make sure that our package does not manage to slip out of our grasp. I want him secure. Be warned, if the major escape, you die.”


“Sir”


Mr White watched with disinterest as the major was dragged to his feet. His hands were shackled behind his back, the gag secure. A black hood was placed over his head before he was lead out of the cave.


Major Charles stumbled his way down towards where the Centre’s men had parked their vans. He couldn’t see and his body was bruised from the beating he had taken the previous evening. The sweeper’s hands gripped his biceps harshly, pulling him regardless of his failing feet. All those paled in comparison, but the words swimming around in his head.


“we lost him…we lost…lost…”



His one son was free and that was all that mattered.



**********
The Centre

“Jarod, are you ready to do this?”


Sydney made sure, asking what must have been for the tenth time.
“Sydney, I’ll be fine. I just need a brace for my leg. Is everything else set up? Exactly the way you found it?”


Sydney and Jarod looked up tiredly from there deliberations when Lyle walked in with a leg brace in his hand. He handed it to Jarod and then looked towards the right where a sliding door separated the sim lab in two. A secret smile seemed to form for a second, his eyes glazing over with a hidden sense of pleasure.


Jarod could not believe what he was seeing. It seemed that Lyle was enjoying the moment a lot more than he should. Any sensible man would have been worried sick about what was possibly happening to his sister. Lyle did not only seem unfazed, it was becoming more and more apparent how psychotic he really was. Whatever was hiding behind the door was starting to scare him.


The pretender slowly rose from his wheelchair. His left leg was ensconced in the brace. His muscles protested but he felt confident that he would be able to perform the sim. Limping badly towards the partition he started to clear his persona from personal feelings. Taking deeper breaths he went through the relaxation technique he and Sydney had developed for difficult simulations.


Bracing himself mentally he nodded his head. Closing his eyes he waited while the cleaners rolled the partition out of the way. When he stopped hearing the rolls he took one more cleansing breath and opened her eyes.


**********


Reviews, as always, welcome