Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See chapter 1
NEED reviews. It helps a lot, especially seeing that this is my first fic. I started to include date and place as it would help me keep track of where I'm going.




Despair


Friday morning, 29th - the Centre


Jarod was shivering. He hugged himself in an effort to bring any kind of warmth to his chest. His leg was aching; more so because of the cold, dripping pants that he had on. He curled tighter into a ball to try and save some warmth.


He couldn't believe how easy it was for Lyle to abduct him. Lyle had casually pushed him from his room into the lift going down to the lobby. He had kept his hand on Jarod's shoulder, silently reminding him not to do anything to compromise the woman in the photo. Dr Kearney had waited for them at the main nurse station, where the doctor had signed the release papers.


Looking into the Kearney's eyes Jarod saw the anguish and worry. The woman in the photo came to mind again. Jarod remembered Red Rock and what Lyle had done then to ascertain the cooperation of the local law enforcement. Jarod had no doubt that the woman trussed up in the photo was Kearney's wife.


Guilt flooded him and he knew that there was no Kyle that could make a surprise rescue attempt. With his hands gripping the armrests of the wheelchair, he looked over to where the guard was standing by the door. Lyle bent down unhurriedly and whispered in his ear, "If you want more people on your conscience, then go ahead and call him."


Jarod allowed his hands to loosen their grip as Lyle pushed him out the door, giving the guard a wave with his hand. One of the Centre's dark saloons was waiting by the driveway. Lyle helped him enter the back seat before closing the door on the outside world. Jarod watched in helpless rage as Sam stood by the doctor, waving them goodbye as the car drove off, knowing that the doctor and his wife would soon join other victims of the Centre who had outlasted their usefulness.


"Why?" had left his lips before he could stop it.
Jarod felt the cold steel as they bit into his wrists, slowly being tightened one niche at a time till they broke the skin. He couldn’t avoid flinching and that seemed to satisfy Lyle even more. His captor sat back and casually replied to the almost forgotten question.
"Why what, Jarod?"
Jarod looked at the malevolent grin on Lyle's face. That was all that was said as he moved as far away from Lyle as possible.


In parody of the previous time he had been here, Lyle had allowed Sam to smash Jarod's body onto the bars of his cell as the powerful surge from the fire hose flowed over him. When they had finished they left him dripping wet on the floor, new bruises angrily forming across his torso where he’d been pinned against the bars. He remained there not having the strength to move towards another part of the cell. Trying to keep his teeth from chattering, trying to purge the images of a dead Kearney and his wife from his mind, trying to remember how he had survived the last time he was here.


**********


Undisclosed vicinity


Miss Parker had no idea how long she had been in this hell hole she was kept in. She had awoken again with a metallic taste in her mouth. Somehow she was being drugged and she had no idea how. It couldn’t be the food or drink. She had been careful, taking only a sip before waiting at least an hour. She had done the same with the tin when her stomach had let her know quite loudly that she was hungry. 'It has to be airborne,' she thought as she slowly started some stretches.


Whoever was holding her was obviously enjoying playing mind games. She knew for a fact that she had forced herself to eat half a tin of baked beans and had drunk at least one bottle of water. When she had woken up she had noticed that everything was back to exactly the way she had found it. The freak had even brushed her hair.


She wondered what she would find behind the door this time. Walking across, the now familiar clanking followed in her wake, before she opened the door. Inside was a photo of her mother. Her hand shook as she took the print from its place, anger marring her face. The photo image was damaged, slashed by knife strokes.


Dropping it back in the cavity she moved towards what she dubbed the food and drinks court. Grabbing a tin she threw it across the room. Hearing the satisfying thud she envisioned the moron's head on the wall. Another tin hid the wall on the same spot, creating a slight dent. Narrowing her eyes she moved closer. Feeling across the dimple she felt the slight grains as they moved against her fingers. Hurrying towards the box, she looked for the tin opener. Grabbing it she went back to the hole. Hitting it against the gap she watched as more grains dropped to the floor. Starting in earnest, she began methodically to try and widen the hole.


**********


SL 27 – The Centre



The clang of the door being swung open raised Jarod’s head. He watched as Lyle entered, pausing slightly as he looked him over. Moving over towards where Jarod lay, he dropped to his haunches. Tilting his head slightly, he reached out his hand, touching the pretender on his cheek.


“How are you doing, Jarod?” he asked in mock compassion.


Jarod was shivering constantly, his lips blue, his leg cramping from the cold and sending a warm surge of pain with each contraction. Closing his eyes, he tried to move his head from under Lyle’s leather glove.


“Don’t move.”


Jarod stopped his attempt, not because Lyle told him but because it took too much effort to move.


“Jarod, I want you to look at me,” came the suave voice.


“W…what do y…you w…want?” the pretenders voice quivered in time with his shaking body, his eyes trying to focus on Lyle’s.


“Your cooperation.”


Jarod let out a short burst of laughter that almost turned to a sob as another powerful surge left his left leg rigid.


“You know this is for the better. People change their mind all the time. Even you, Jarod.”


Jarod tried to shake his head as he whispered, “I…I won’t…”


Lyle shushed him, putting a finger to Jarod’s lips.


“Do not say things you know you do not mean. Things change, you will see.”


With this he gently smoothed the pretender’s hair from his face. Jarod tried to pull away from the unwelcome touch all the while trying to deny what his captor was saying. He remembered the previous manipulation attempts of Lyle; he also remembered his nightmares when he didn’t cooperate. This time was different. He knew that his father and the boy were safe. Lyle had no bargaining power besides fear.


“No, things w…will not c…change. Y…You h…have nothing. Y…you couldn’t bre…break me last t…time and I…I will not b…break this time.” Jarod tried to keep the shivering from breaking down his speech but it still came out halted. He knew that he did not sound as confidant as he felt. He suppressed a groan at another flare from his leg.


He felt his stomach plummet, an icy feeling crawling along his spine. Lyle did not get angry, did not even answer his challenge. The dapper young man stood slowly, a cold smile on his face. Walking out the door, he turned.


“We will see, Jarod. Keep telling yourself that.”


Closing the door he left the pretender to his misery, trying to curl tighter in the hope of more warmth.




Monitoring room – SL 27



"I don't …. want him catching … pneumonia." Raines wheezed, dragging in another painful breath, "We need … him to find… Parker."


"Like I told you, I know how he thinks. This," Lyle stretched his hand to the video screen showing Jarod, "is part of the process."


"I hope … you know … what you're …doing. I want him … to start the … simulation …tomorrow. "


"No problem. Jarod will do as he is told." Lyle replied with confidence, a self-assured smile playing on his lips.



**********


Dead Creek, 2:00



"So what is this circle of fire place where we are going?" J asked as he held onto the bar of the Jeep as it bounced over yet another stone.


"It's a cave where Bodie took Jarod. I had my dream quest there a few years ago and Jarod had his. I'm pretty sure that is what his email meant."


J looked gratefully at his dad as the Jeep came to a halt. A big outcrop of sandstone rocks stood about four miles to the south, curving in a lazy shoehorn towards the east. The major jumped from the Jeep, grabbing a rug sack. Throwing it to his son, he took the second one.


"Now we walk." He grinned at the mock groan from his son. He knew that J loved hiking and he was looking forward to spending some time out here with his two sons.




**********


SL 27 - The Centre



Jarod was lying on the hard bunk in his cell trying to get some sleep. He had never thought that he would feel warm again. Sam had come in earlier with dry clothes, changing for the wet pants that Jarod had on. He had helped him to the bed and then left. He knew that Lyle was up to something, he just couldn't figure out what.


Hearing the door open he sat up slowly, following Lyle with his eyes as he entered his cell, pushing a wheelchair. Stopping by his bunk, Lyle set the brakes and then motioned to the chair.


"Get in."


Jarod thought about it. He didn't have the strength at the moment to resist and would rather save what little he had for what was to come. He knew that Lyle could easily call in sweepers to make sure he did what was asked. Grabbing the hand rests he maneuvered into the chair, trying not to put any pressure on his left leg. When he was seated, Lyle released the brakes and pushed him out the door.


Lyle propelled him down the hall and into the guarded sim lab. A half smile formed on his lips at Jarod's angry growl. Parking him by the table, he applied the brakes. A bandaged Willie entered the lab. Walking over to where Lyle and the steaming pretender were waiting, he handed Lyle a blue folder.


"Jarod, I have a project I would like you to do for me." Lyle's smooth voice rolled over the pretender, reminding him of the previous time he had heard those exact words.


"Forget it." Jarod angrily snarled back as he tried to release the brakes on the chair. Willie stood directly behind him, preventing the pretender from going anywhere.


"But you haven't even looked at what I am asking." Pushing the folder over the table he watched with satisfaction as the pretender caught it by reflex.


"No!" Jarod's angry eyes met Lyle's as he dropped the folder back on to the table. Before Jarod could react he felt Willie snake his arm around his neck. Pulling him tight against the back of the chair he tried ineffectively to pull the suffocating hold from his adams' apple. Willie's other hand held his head in place as he whispered threats into his ear, telling him to stop struggling. Jarod dropped his hands to his lap, trying to relax as Willie only slightly lessened his hold. His head was held immobile in the grip and he tried to shift his body in a better position. He stopped moving when he felt the dark sweeper tighten his hold again. Keeping as motionless as possible he watched as Lyle walked around the table.


Lyle perched himself on the edge of the table, keeping his eyes on Jarod as his right hand slid the discarded folder closer to his body. Picking it up, he opened the folder, aware of Jarod’s attention on him.


“Come on Jarod, are you not even a little bit curious as to what is in this folder.” he taunted.


“Go to hell.” the pretender managed to sneer before Willie’s choke hold tightened, cutting of his words.


"But you're already there. And this," Reaching into the folder he took out a photo, "should convince you of it." Standing smoothly, he stuck it in front of the pretender's eyes; his smile evil as he waited for the reaction he knew would be forthcoming.



Jarod couldn’t believe his eyes. It took him almost a full minute before he began to struggle against the dark sweeper’s hold. He had never been so willing to kill another human being. When darkness began to close his vision he realised that he couldn’t breathe. Willie’s hold was so tight that all Jarod had managed to do was crush his larynx against the sweepers arm as he had tried to reach for the blonde man. Coughing and spluttering he dropped his hands, his eyes filming with unshed tears.


“Better now?” Lyle’s mocking voice filled his ears.


Jarod tried to ignore the voice. Closing his eyes brought no relief. The image was burned into his corneas. He had never realised how disturbed Lyle really was.


“Jarod, are you ready to do what I have asked?” the cool voice came as he placed the folder in front of the defeated pretender.


Dropping his eyes Jarod whispered softly, “Yes.”


Smiling triumphantly Lyle looked at the sweeper, “You can let him go. I am sure that Jarod will behave,” as he refocused on the silent man, “won’t you.”


Jarod kept his gaze lowered, his hands gripping the armrests as an almost inaudible agreement left his lips.


“Good boy, Willie will make sure you have all the necessary research material. Tomorrow Sydney will help you perform the simulation. I will only expect the best from you, Jarod. Am I understood?”


Swallowing, the pretender kept his head bowed, refusing to answer to the traitorous taunts in his head.


Grabbing Jarod by the hair he pushed his property’s head back, his voice commanding, “Am I understood, lab rat?” his other hand flashing the photo.


A forced assent satisfied Lyle enough to let go. Turning, he left the pretender slumped in his chair with Willie hovering over him.




**********



Dead Creek, 14:30



The major took a big swallow from his water bottle as he surveyed the surrounding area from the rock he was standing on. J was leaning against the cool rock behind him, wiping of his sweat with a dirty bandanna. Spread out before them was the rocky formations of sandstone and limestone. Small creeks ran in between the cliffs and hills with shrubbery trying to scratch out a living in the harsh desert conditions.


“Dad, this is wicked. How come we had never been here before?”


"J, you say that with each new "adventure" we go on." Charles laughed as he turned towards his son. "You'll probably say the same thing when we're in the caves."


"Aw, come on Dad, I'm not that predictable. If I have to work out the math, I'll say…" a shout left him as water from his dad's bottle splashed over him.


"You know that now its war." He spluttered; a huge smile on his face as the major grinned back.


"Well son, I would never discount my many years experience at splashing know it all's with a little sustenance."


"Yes, but do remember that I am a certified copy of a genius." J bantered back as his bandanna did overtime soaking up the sustenance.


Continuing in the light tone they made their way towards where the black mouth of the cave waited.


The major took the lead as they entered the cool confines of the cave mouth.


"J, I want you to stay behind me. Some of the turnoffs lead to sinkholes and if you don't know what you're doing it could be fatal."


J nodded as he followed his dad, placing his feet as they walked deeper into the warren.


"Dad, why would Jarod wait for us in here and not outside?" J pointed out, a shiver going down his body as he suddenly became aware of all the rock seeming to be pressing down from above.


"I don't know Son but I'm sure that there is a very good reason for it. Jarod never did anything without assessing the situation from all angles."


Stopping, the major turned and noticed the pale look on J's face and the palms that he kept on wiping down his pants. He knew that J did not like closed spaces from his time that he had spent under Raines.


"J, why don't you wait by the entrance? I should be back in about fifteen minuets. I'm sure that Jarod won't mind."


"Thanks, dad," J gratefully answered as he moved back towards the entrance where the blue sky was inviting to big open space. Charles waited till the boy had safely traversed back and seated himself in a corner that looked out on the plain. Turning, he continued deeper into the hill towards the cave where he had dreamed of his son and his son had dreamed of him.



**********


Undisclosed vicinity



Miss Parker looked at her raw palms and grimaced. She had spent the last few hours digging a hole about a twenty centimeters across. Things had gone well till she managed to dig through the dry cement. The can opener had hit something more solid causing her hand to slip downwards, hitting the edge and creating yet again another gash. When her eyes looked for the reason behind the stoppage, she had slid down the wall not caring that she plopped down in the small pile of loosened cement. The edge of a tree root had checked the thoughts of making an escape from the suffocating room. At least now she knew. She was somewhere underground and the only way out seemed to be the grate set in the roof.



**********


Dead Creek, 14:40




Charles entered the cavern where he had left his handprint. He was eager to meet up with Jarod and find out what his son had been up to for the last month. His mouth went dry as the cold barrel of a gun met his neck. The click of the gun being cocked sounded loud and seemed to vibrate through the cavern. A harsh voice whispered instructions. He carefully lifted his hands, spreading them wide.


A man stepped into his view. The major nearly felt his legs gave way as he remembered the description from Jarod. 'A finder of people,' the albino was standing in front of him, scrutinizing him, his light blue gaze intent.


"Major, where’s the boy?" the low threatening voice came.



"Somewhere safe"

A small smile seemed to fleet across the albino face, his gaze without mercy as he watched the sweeper tighten the cuffs around the major's wrist.


"Gag him; I don't want him to alarm the clone. He must be waiting by the entrance. "


The gun in his neck kept him still as a filthy rag was pushed into his mouth and then tied behind his head. He was pushed through the entrance, back the way he had come as the major wondered why he had not seen this coming.



**********


Dead Creek, 14:50




J stepped into the fissure, his face turned to the entrance as he watched his dad being shoved into view. He had heard the muffled scream as his dad had came around the corner.


"You idiot. I told you to tighten the gag. Now we have to look for the boy."


Pointing to one of the sweepers he gave instructions, "He couldn't have gone far. Alert Gar, he should be able to track the boy."


J squirmed silently further into the fissure. He watched as his dad was forced to kneel on the floor, a gun kept to his head. His stomach clenched when he heard his father's painful grunt as the gag was tightened. Swallowing, he turned his face away from his father as he quietly moved deeper into the ever widening fissure. It meandered downwards, the light diffused from an opening somewhere in front.


Following the increasing brightness he stopped as he carefully eyed the opening which was about two feet across and his height. Hearing voices he looked back before stepping towards the aperture. A straight drop of eight feet met his eyes. Looking back, he heard the voices increase in volume. Taking a deep breath he stepped out in the air.


His feet burned where he had made contact with the stone in the small creek. Hunching over he stepped under the overhand as the sweepers came to the fissure opening. He listened to the disappointed voices as they disappeared back inside.


Keeping his back to the wall, he inched his way to the left. He knew that in order to keep the hope of escape alive he had to evade the cat while rescuing the mouse.



**********



Dead Creek, 15:30



"No sign, sir. He seemed to have just vanished."


"Dammit, phone Sam. Tell him I need two trackers out here."


"What about the major, sir?"


The albino looked towards where the older man was thrown. The major was laying on his side, facing the wall, a sweeper standing guard close by.


"Leave him. Maybe the pup will came back for him. We should be ready for that eventuality."


He watched as the sweeper stepped away, reaching for his cell. Looking out at the rocky formations he wondered how long the boy would last before being brought to heel. After all, he is a copy of the real thing.



**********


Sim lab – the Centre, 18:00



Lyle whistled as he stepped into the room. Jarod was slumped over the table in an exhausted sleep; the research strewn around him in a haphazard order. Motioning to Willie, he instructed, "Take him back to his cell. Make sure he eats his supper before allowing him some more rest. I want him ready tomorrow at six."

"Yes, sir."


Taking one last satisfied look at the worn out man, he left to tell Sydney the good news.



**********


Reviews, as always, welcome.