Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Thanks for all the reviews. Makes writing worthwhile.

Discoveries

Broots was hurrying down the hallway towards Sydney's office. Reaching the office, he grabbed the door handle. Entering he glanced around till he saw the older man behind his desk staring at him in surprise.

"S…Sydney, you have to come. Quickly. Angelo is freaking and no one knows why. Mr…mr R…Raines sent me to fetch you."

Sydney rose from behind his desk and hurried to follow the anxious looking tech.

"Where is Angelo, Broots?" Sydney gasped as he tried to keep up with the running man.

"Down in SL 25. Mr Raines was trying to f…find out if Angelo could determine where Ms Parker was. When he saw the mirror he went ballistic. Sydney, I have never seen Angelo like that. "

Broots continued the tale as they stood waiting in front of the lifts.

"He was jumping up and down, throwing things, screaming all the time. We couldn't make out what he was saying at first. Two cleaners tried to hold him down but they couldn't. His eyes kept on rolling back into his head. It was the freakiest thing I've ever seen in my life. "

The pair entered the lifts as Sydney tried to make sense from what Broots was babbling. Something significant had definitely affected Angelo.

"Broots, can you tell me what Angelo was screaming?"

"I, um, I'm not really sure. If it was English I couldn't make it out."

The lift stopped at SL 25 and the doors slid open. Angelo's enraged screams seemed to fill the corridor. It was like a hunter stalking its prey, filling the hallways, sneaking into corners. Sydney could feel the malice in the barely heard words as he hurried down the corridor towards the ever increasing sound. Turning the corner he saw the panicky face of a sweeper as he stood outside a sim lab. The nameless guard was staring towards the door and nearly jumped out of his skin as Sydney touched him.

"What is going on inside there?" the psychiatrist asked as he tried to determine how to best proceed.

"I don't know, Sir. The freak took out Willie. Nothing seems to be able to hold him down. Mr Raines left. I was just hoping that he would calm down enough for us to take him back to his space."

Sydney looked disparagingly at the sweeper as he heard about Raines' departure.

"If I understand this correctly, you just left him in there in the hope that he will calm down? Do you have any idea…? Merde!"

Throwing his arms in the air Sydney turned away from the sheepish looking sweeper. Slowly, he opened the door and looked in on total chaos. Angelo was in the centre of the room and seemed to have calmed down from what Broots had described earlier. The empath was rocking back and forth, Parker's bedding wrapped around him like a shroud. The words still leapt from his mouth with increasing hoarseness as Angelo's voice succumbed to the abuse inflicted on it.

Sydney listened to the words that recycled continually.

"cogita mori, cogita mori, …."

The psychiatrist moved unhurriedly forward. Kneeling by the empath he gently mouthed, "Angelo?" The man-child stayed as he was, the words slowly coming to a close until the voice stayed silent. Rising silently, Sydney joined Broots outside. Keeping his voice steady he gave the sweeper instructions regarding Angelo's care.

Drawing a shaky breath, he motioned to Broots as he walked back toward the lifts.

Standing in front of the doors, a visible relieved tech asked Sydney, "Do you know what Angelo has been shouting?"

Nodding his head, a drained Sydney replied, "Remember death."


**********

Closing the door of his office, Lyle allowed his self control to play out just a little as a smile caressed his face. The unfortunate departure of his sister has cemented his position even further in the Triumvirate's eyes. That and the added bonus of fantasising what is possibly being done to Parker are really improving his outlook on his day. He had one more duty he needed to take care of before he would go out for some supper. He thought about the new oriental restaurant that had opened. Berating himself, he decided to stay away for the moment. If things worked out as he planned there would be plenty more time in the future for some added fun.


He seated himself behind his desk and reached for his phone. Dialling a memorised number he waited patiently as he listened to the dial tone on the other side.


When the person on the other side answered Lyle revelled in his power when he heard the fear in the other man's voice.


"Are you still following the instructions I left you." Listening to the timid voice his face darkened as the answer was given.


"Maybe I was not clear when I explained to you what would happen to your wife if you did not do exactly as I asked. Would you like me to explain again in great detail?"


Lyle felt a little appeased as he heard the anxious voice telling him that he understood and that he did not need any further explanations. Cutting off the agitated rambling voice he hissed "Make sure that you follow them to the letter." he paused slightly for the added effect before putting a more commanding tone in it. "Am I clear?"

Putting the phone back onto its base he leaned back. His mood darkened slightly by the incompetence of the man on the other side he never less decided he was not going to let it spoil his evening. After all, by the end of the week he would have in his hands the future.


**********


Jarod stretched and then wormed his way further under the covers. He felt warm and fuzzy and allowed the comfort to send him further into pleasant dreams.


Kearney sighed as he put the syringe in the pocket of his doctor's jacket. Looking at Jarod's relaxed face as the pretender slipped further into a drug induced sleep he felt his heart constrict. He had done as Lyle asked and he only hoped that God would forgive him someday for what he had been forced to do.



**********


Parker awoke to a metallic taste in her mouth. She was lying on her side, her shoulder aching from the pressure. Her nose was pressed into the dusty sheet that covered the mattress. Groaning she turned on her back, whishing fervently that all the memories coming back was a badly constructed nightmare. Her eyes opened and seemed to be drawn to the now closed cupboard door. Slowly she slid her back up the wall, leaning her head back and closed her eyes. All she wanted at this stage was a bottle of scotch and a cigarette. Her eyes flared open as she looked down at her clothes. Someone had changed the slacks and shirt she had worn to a dull grey uniform. The pants were loose fitting, the top reminding her of the ones that Jarod used to wear at the Centre.
'You bastard' she thought, as violent images flirted across her mind to what she would do to the man who had dared to touch her.


She steadied herself against the wall as she rose to a standing position. She eyed the closed cupboard again. Determined, she pushed from the wall and tried to stalk her way in full Parker power to the mausoleum. It didn't quite work out the way she planned. The chain around her ankle seemed to drag the leg down and what she managed was a stumble and fall to her knees. Expletives left her mouth as she got back to her feet. More aware now of the clanking weight she shuffled her way to the door. Coming to a halt in front of the wall she remembered the last time she stood there. She couldn't seem to get her hand to lift to the handle, to open the door.


"Oh, Daddy." she whispered softly. She felt the traitorous tears form. Her heart seemed to lift toward her suddenly dry mouth. She could feel regret and grief's wings enfold her, surround her till all she could focus on was the small square hide away. Things seemed to whisper in her mind, the whispers becoming harsher and more intense as she tried to shut it out. Darkness surrounded her vision and she felt herself lift off as the wings unfolded and with a strong beat take her away from the fear hidden in front of her. She almost revelled in her new found freedom before she allowed her safety net to catch her. She watched as she clipped the wings, powerfully holding them tight. The cage slammed down, preventing freedom, preventing everything.


Firmly, in control, she watched as her hand rose, reached out and opened the door. She gasped in surprise, the cage rattling but kept tight, as all that stared back at her was an empty cupboard. Turning toward the supplies she noticed no half empty water bottle, everything packed exactly the way she found it the first time.


"You want to play, bring it on." left her in a low, deceptive growl as she slowly tightened the chains around the cage.



**********


Major Charles looked up as his laptop toned a new message. Putting the paper he had been reading on the table next to him he moved over to where the computer was sitting on the table." You've got mail" blinked back at him as he entered the site. It was an earlier location then the current one he and Jarod had set up. He moved the mouse pointer over to the highlighted wording. Not knowing why Jarod would use an earlier site he clicked on the link.


Refuge

Found sister. Meet 2:30, Circle of fire, 29th.



That was all there was. The major wondered about the short message. Something was bothering him regarding it but he couldn't see any obvious reason why. Hearing the front door open, he closed the message.


He saw J enter the room and drop his backpack on one of the chairs.
"We have a message. Jarod wants to meet us in two days. You up for some travel?"


J smiled at his dad as he replied "Yeah, why not. It will be good to see big brother again. When are we leaving?"


"Today, get your butt in gear and pack." The major good heartily said as he slapped his son on the back.



**********


Jarod woke up gradually. He was conscious of movement around him and the soft voices of people. Ignoring it, he concentrated on the relaxed feeling of his muscles and allowed it to drag him back to where he felt safe.


Jarod finally allowed his eyes to open. Letting them to drift around the room he saw that someone had left his supper tray on the table. Inwardly frowning he wondered how long he had slept.


Moving into a sitting position, he scratched at the band-aid stuck to the back of his hand. Somehow they had removed the IV line without waking him.


Jarod had just finished the green Jel-O when Kearney entered the room.


"Had a good sleep?" he asked while he started taking Jarod's vitals trying not to let the pretender see his nervousness.


Jarod nodded as he followed the man's hands as they took his blood pressure and pulse.


"You might have some visitors tonight." The doctor softly whispered as he kept his eyes focused on his examination of Jarod's leg. He felt Jarod tense as he busily smoothed the covers back over the leg.


"Do you know who?" followed the apprehensive question as Kearney was leaving the room. Keeping his back to the pretender he shook his head before hurriedly walking out, keeping his eyes to the front and not allowing them to drift to the big man sitting outside the door.



**********


Jarod was anxious as he tried to sim several escape routes. He reached the same conclusion on each of them. Without a wheelchair he was bound to the bed. His leg was not strong enough to support him. As he tried to look for anything that might be remotely useful to him he became aware of a presence in the doorway. He didn't need to look up to know who it was. He felt his stomach tighten, his heart flutter as his eyes met the blue globes of Lyle.


"Missed me?" came in a deceptively cool voice as the chairman's son sauntered closer.


"No" came the sharp reply as memories began to flash in Jarod's mind.


"We had so much fun the last time, Jarod. How could you forget?" Lyle smiled as he stopped by the foot end of the bed.


Jarod was hyperventilating as he felt his mind overload. Lyle's voice brought back images that continued to cascade through his brain.


He was running through the woods, his breath coming in gasps as Lyle’s taunting voice followed him. Stumbling, he veered left as another sound crashed from the right. He was frantic, trying to find a way to escape. He knew he was being herded like an animal but still he could not prevent it.


"Memories is such a powerful tool, isn't it Jarod"


He didn't see the bat before it was too late. He ran full force into the wooden handle held waist high. His breath exploded out of his body as he crashed onto his knees, wheezing in high octave as he tried to draw air into his frozen diaphragm.


"Breathe, Jarod."


He felt hands grab his arms, roughly pulling him upright, forcing his bent body straight. He still could barely draw in oxygen. One hand grabbed his hair, pulling his head up, increasing his fear.



Lyle folded back the sheet that covered Jarod's leg.


Jarod watched as the chairman's son stepped from behind a tree, a broad smile on his face. Grabbing a baseball bat from a nearby sweeper he stepped up to the pretender. Jarod felt the breath caress his face as the voice whispered smoothly in his ear, "Remember what I promised the last time we met."


His fingers gently caressed the scars seeing the change of emotions on Jarod's face.


Lyle stepped back and Jarod almost dispassionately watched as the bat connected with his leg. He heard an animalistic scream and it took a second or two before he realised that it was him. Red hot flame was shooting up his leg, spreading rapidly. He felt himself dissociate from the scene as the bat connected again, bringing with it a sharp wet crack as the broken bone splintered through his flesh.



Lyle was slowly tightening his hand around the leg, enjoying the sheen of sweat that was forming on his prize's forehead.


Jarod had never experienced pain like this. The viciousness of Lyle's attack is leaving him breathless and on the verge of unconsciousness. He could hear the whimpers that left his body as he was kept upright by the arms of the sweepers.


"Look at me."


His eyes tried to focus. He'll do anything to try and move away from the intense throbbing that spread with each heart beat. As his gaze cleared he saw the bat move into his line of sight. The last thing he noticed before darkness claimed him was the satisfied smile on the psychopath's face.



The pain brought him back. A groan left his mouth as Lyle kept his hand on his leg. Jarod focused his glare on the man as his hands crumbled the sheets.


"Beautiful, isn't it. There is almost symmetry in these marks, don't you think?" the rhetorical question seemed to fill the air.


Jarod just glared back, waiting for Lyle to finish his gloating.


"Tsk, tsk, Jarod. We really should do something about your attitude." Lyle reproached as Sam entered the room with a wheelchair. “Now, be a good boy and put these on.”


Jarod looked down at the clothes thrown onto his lap. It was the same dark uniform that he had worn for half of his life.


“No.”


“Come now, Jarod. I am sure your vocabulary is better than one negative. You can either do it yourself or allow Sam to do it for you. Your choice.”


Jarod looked down at the clothes clutched in his hand. From under his eye lashes he watched as Sam closed the door to his room before stepping towards him.


“Jarod?” Lyle’s impatient voice brought him back to the reality of his choice.


“Can I at least get some privacy?”


Lyle rolled his eyes as he replied with a terse, “What do you think?”


Angrily Jarod pulled the top over his hospital gown. Looking at the pants he tried to find a way of putting it over his legs. Shame filled him and he looked away as Sam grabbed the pants and dressed him. His leg protested at the rough handling but there is nothing he could do about it.


He didn’t like the glint in Lyle’s eyes as Sam picked him up and dropped him in the wheelchair.


Simulations of escape ran through his mind until a photo was dropped in his lap. ‘No’, he closed his eyes as his captor’s hot breath entered his ear, “You try anything, she dies.”


His shoulders slumped, his head hung in defeat as Sam opened the door and Lyle pushed him towards misery.


Reviews welcome :-)