Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See chapter 1

To all those who spent their time reading my fic, thanks. Hope the wait was worth it.


Escape


Jarod couldn’t breath. He knees buckled, unable to support him. His hand desperately grabbed Sydney, trying to keep upright, trying to stay conscious. He watched his father fall forward and with it Miss Parker. A gun appeared as if by magic in her hand, somehow he had missed the intervening time when she had picked it up. Denial vibrated around his head in an ever increasing crescendo, drowning all other sounds. He saw the gun in Parker's hand buck, the bullet speeding towards Alex, entering his body through the right shoulder. He saw Alex grimace, his body jerking sideways, pulling his gun away from his father, the barrel dark and menacing, pointing towards him. Darkness surrounded the edges of his vision, making it difficult to focus. He was aware of Sydney saying something but the words got lost as night finally closed in.

**********

Two days later


The warehouse had been abandoned years ago. The walls were covered in graffiti, discarded bins and rusting equipment littered the dust covered floor. The broken panes filtered rain through, increasing the feel of dampness. The flash of lighting was followed immediately by the deep rumble of thunder, startling the man enough to eye the dark clouds through one of the windows. The slight scuffle of rat's feet filled him with disgust.

This was not the way it was supposed to be. Giving the dark clouds one more look, he turned his attention to the centre of the room. His bargaining chip lay on his side with his arms and feet tightly bound. He stepped towards the body, watching it shift in response to his footsteps. He made for the small, rickety table that was close to the body; opening the dark, oblong case that sat on it. He uncapped the already filled syringe, kneeling by the boy. Pushing the shirtsleeve upwards, he coaxed a vein to appear.

Gagged and blindfolded, J could do nothing to protect himself. He felt Lyle's fingers on his arm. He held his breath when he felt the sharp point of the needle hovering over the sensitive inner side of his elbow. Turning his head slightly at his captor's hesitation, he hoped that Lyle had decided against sedating him again. The needle broke his skin, entering the blood vessel. He could feel the cool liquid making its way inside, killing the hope with disappointment. He thought he heard a phone ring above another deep rumble from the outside storm, before he succumbed to the sedative.

**********

He gradually gained consciousness. The first thing he was aware of, was a firm but comfortable mattress beneath him. Enjoying the luxury of the bed, he pulled the soft duvet over his shoulder, drifting back to nothingness again. The soft murmur of voices filled his ears, tugging at his consciousness. Ignoring their insistence he fell asleep again. At one stage, a gentle hand placed something cold on his fever-warmed forehead, bringing with it coolness and a feeling of care. Turning his head into the softness he allowed their comfort to drift him back towards sleep.

**********

"How is he?"

Turning from where she was seated next to the pretender, Miss Parker smiled at Sydney. Her hand held Jarod's, her thumb making small, comforting circles on the outside of his hand. He turned slightly at the sound of Sydney's voice, a frown fleeting across his face. Patting his hand, telling him it's all right, she rose gracefully. Leaving Jarod for the moment, they moved into the hall to talk without disturbing the recovering pretender.

"His fever broke last night. He should wake up soon."

"Any more nightmares?"

"No, not since..."

Both turned to the pretender when a soft moan escaped his lips. His eyes still closed, he tossed his head, soft words of denial escaping. His hands clenched tight on sheets, his right leg kicking out. His left leg was in traction, preventing any movement. Allowing Parker to enter first, they rushed over to the bed. Making shush-ing noises, she gently held his one hand, her other stroking his forehead almost hypnotically. Sydney held his other hand, watching as Parker's voice brought Jarod out of his nightmare and back into a healing sleep. Making sure the IV had not disconnected in Jarod's thrashing, he took note of his prodigy's pulse and breathing. Satisfied, he quietly mouthed that he would speak to her later, leaving her alone with Jarod.

**********


Three days later



"I…no…like I explained…"


He nearly threw his only link to a possible future to shatter against the wall. He was desperate; somehow evidence had been planted in his hard drive insinuating his involvement in selling information to the competition. The first time he had called Raines, he had been told that if he did not surrender, a directive would be issued that he would be shot on sight. He had listened in shock as all the plans he had so carefully set out came to a crashing halt. And all because of Alex's failure to break Parker emotionally. When he phoned the sociopath, he had been assured that Parker was ready, instigating his manipulation of Jarod to reveal her "location". He had been impressed with Alex's choice, having no idea where the other had kept her in order to keep up appearances on his side. Now, the fact that he had the boy and tried to bargain with him had failed to impress Raines.


"Shit"


He had tried to explain that somehow someone must have planted the information, that he had no idea about the offshore bank account. Raines studiously ignored all his pleas, growling his anger and promising Lyle that he would come to understand pain on a whole new level when he sent him to Africa. Not a chance. It was time to disappear and just maybe the boy could be his way out.


**********


It was a stately four-bedroom home set on surrounding farmland in central Ohio. The sun had just poked its head over the quiet land, its rays painting the sky with red, orange and pink stripes. The sounds and smells of breakfast being prepared emanated from the kitchen, the soft cluck of chickens scraping away in the yard emphasising the general sense of contentment.


Inside, past the kitchen and the woman busy cooking, sat a livid Miss Parker and Sydney in a plush study where the walls were lined with books and hunting paraphernalia. The pretender was not alone, still sleeping in an upstairs bedroom that had been converted by Harry to house all the medical equipment that was needed after his collapse at Donoterase. His physical abuse had finally caught up to him, coupled with the drugs that Lyle had been feeding him and it’s a wonder that they had managed to get him that far. Harry had a friend look at Jarod's leg, stabilising the limb before they had started on the other less serious injuries. Aside from heavy bruising and one or two cuts that had needed stitches, Jarod had survived fairly intact. Harry was hopeful that Jarod would finally be able to wake up today, his estimate that the last dregs of the drugs Lyle had given the pretender to have run its course. Until then, they had agreed to have a meeting to try to determine if they had any more leads on Lyle and J.


"And?"

"Broots is tapping into the Centre communications portal to try and track a cell phone signal. Apparently Lyle had phoned Raines trying to cut a deal."

"I don't like the hand we've been dealt, Sydney. My brother is desperate and he might do something stupid. I'm worried for J?"

"I know, Parker but until Broots are able to triangulate the signal, we don't have much to go on. We just have to be patient."

Tapping her hand against her thigh, her eyes narrowed as a thought entered her mind.

"Have Broots check Lyle's movements of a month ago. I want to know where my brother was during the time he was away from the Centre."

"I've already had Broots do that, Parker. Nothing out of the ordinary except…"

Rising an eyebrow, she turned to Sydney, her voice dangerously low,

"Except what, Sydney."

Taking a folder out of the briefcase that sat next to him, he wordlessly gave it to her. She read through the file and then read again in disbelief. Sitting back into her chair, she pinched her nose before dropping the folder onto the table between them.

"My psychotic brother had been planning this…"

Rising, she moved towards the drinks cabinet, pouring herself a good measure of scotch. Taking a sip, she tiredly massaged the back of her neck. Abruptly, she put the glass down, her hand darting to the discarded folder. Reading the second page again, she followed the lines of words, coming to a stop three quarters down.

Coming to her side, Sydney asked her;

"What did you find?"

Pointing at a particular paragraph, she waited for Sydney. Finished, he looked at Miss Parker.

"If you’re right, it means that we might have a possible location for where Lyle could have taken the boy. I'll phone Broots and let him know."

Looking at the sentence that had caught her attention, she could only hope that it would be that easy.

**********

Somehow, his steady breathing was reassuring. Sitting by the window, he looked at Jarod, an open book spread out on his lap. The young man's pallor was a lot better than when they had first brought him here. He actually had a bit of color in his cheeks amidst the fading discoloring of bruises and cuts. Looking out the window, reflecting the last few days he was alerted by the slight rustle on the bed. Turning back, he watched as Jarod started to wake, his eyes fluttering before finally opening.

Everything was blurry. Trying to focus, his hands felt the softness of the light sheet that covered his body. The pain was still there but more distant, more a memory than a constant reminder. Breathing deeper, he smelled clear air, not the recycled Centre air. Wincing at protesting muscles he shifted slightly. The constant burn and pulsing shoots of pain from his left leg that he had become used to was gone. Now only a dull ache remained.

Objects slowly began to come into view; he could gradually make out the traction set that kept his leg immobile. Hearing movement, he turned his head to see a vague figure rising from a chair by the bed. Frowning, he tried to figure out who it was. All he could see was a pink blob where the face would be, gray surrounding it. He tried to bring saliva into his mouth, trying to form a question. He couldn’t quite hear what the other was saying, his mind suddenly bringing him back to the last time he had been awake.

His father falling…


His chest started to constrict, making it increasingly difficult to breath. The tears that were starting to form further impeded his vision; trying desperately to escape the confines of his bed. A firm hand pushed him down, the voice murmuring soft words of comfort. A drinking glass was pushed against his lips;

"If you don't drink this, then Miss Parker…"


Trying to deny Lyle's voice, he tensed before obediently taking a sip. He heard the person say his name. Not wanting to face the memories just yet, he tried to ignore the voice; tried to go back to where he didn't have to think. The voice wouldn't let him. He felt the bed dip, a hand insistent on his chest. It was warm, the fingertips hard with calluses. Trying to ignore the voice of Lyle demanding obedience, he turned his head towards the person. Slowly the image started to reveal the person sitting next to him. Frowning, he tried to deny what he was seeing, his eyes showing his confusion.

I must be dreaming…

There it was again, the voice questioning and persistent. He barely recognized his own when he said;

"Dad?"

The head nodded in reassurance, his hand clutched in the others.

"You …were shot…"

He watched his father smile, answering his bewildered statement.

"I knocked the gun off course when he pulled the trigger, enough for the bullet to only graze me. It knocked me unconscious for a minute or two before I came to. By that time Miss Parker had shot Alex and you had collapsed."

"You're ….alive…"

Still trying to come to terms with his father sitting next to him, he laid back, just enjoying having somebody at his side. A thought occurred, a brief flash of something his father had said in his cell.

"Where's J?"

His eyes sought those of his father, the flash of hidden pain giving a silent answer.

"I'm sorry, son. Lyle managed to escape with J. We couldn't search for them, with both of us hurt and the Centre…we barely managed to escape as it was."

Sighing, Jarod wondered when they would ever be free of the Centre again. His eyes closed, he tried to keep them open, focused on other answers he needed but he failed. He was unaware of his father tucking him in as he drifted back into sleep again.

**********


He was seated in a rickety chair, one leg a bit shorter than the rest. He swallowed at the remembrance of the last time he had some water. His mouth was dry, the gag forced into it increasing his discomfort. He heard the familiar sound of Lyle's angry footsteps approaching. He felt Lyle's fingers tugging at the knots that held the gag in place. Leaning slightly forward at the promise, he followed the instructions his captor gave him. Surprise filled him when the blindfold was also removed. This was the first time he had been allowed to see where he was. Blinking his eyes in the twilight that filled the room, he focused them on Lyle that stood before him.


"I want a number to contact the Major, Gemini."


Shaking his head mutely, he defiantly glared back at the other. Unease filled him when Lyle didn't retaliate with violence or threats. Nodding to himself, his eyes glinting dangerously, Lyle stepped back from the boy. J followed him as far as his precarious position on the chair allowed. Listening to the fading footsteps, he was filled with dread. Lyle was becoming more and more unstable, increasing the unpredictability of his actions. Eyeing the water bottle that stood on the table not far from him, he wondered if he would make it that far before his captor returned.



**********


"He woke up briefly before drifting off again. I didn't tell him about Margaret and Emily. You were right, Sydney. The timing wasn't right."

He looked into the room from the hallway at Parker sitting by Jarod's bed.

"Major, its better this way. Let Jarod find out when he is more lucid and rested. Where are they, I saw the car leave earlier?"

Smiling ruefully, the major ran a hand across his face.

"Margaret had decided that Jarod needed some clothes and she and Emily needed some more supplies for the kitchen. When the Russell women decided something there wasn’t much a man could do to stand in their way."

Laughing at the implication, having already experienced Emily's stubbornness they made their way towards Jarod's bed. Parker was stroking his arm, smiling at his slowly awakening eyes.

"Hi, sleepyhead."

He answered in turn with a similar smile, before noticing Sydney and his father.

"Feeling better?"

Nodding at Sydney's question, he allowed Parker to shift him into a sitting position, the pillows soft behind his back.

“Where are we?”

Parker grinned at the major, before deciding to answer Jarod.

“Central Ohio…the preverbal middle of nowhere.”

With his eyes glinting mischievously, he winked at Sydney before asking

“Brave, Sydney. Even I wouldn’t dream of dragging Miss Parker all the way here…”

Parker’s reply was cut off by the sound of car doors slamming shut. The sound of women’s voices drifted through the open window. The expectant faces of the others brought a brief frown as he tried to figure out the significance of the voices and the people who were around him.

It couldn’t be…

He heard one of the boards on the stairs creak, his eyes drawn to the doorway. His mouth suddenly dry, his palms sweating. Irrationally, he suddenly wondered if he looked presentable. Combing his fingers through his hair, the stopped when he saw his mother. He felt tears form, unable to say anything. She seemed to sense his emotion, moving forward.

Enfolded in her embrace, it was everything and more that he had ever imagined. He smelled her hair, fruity with a hint of jasmine. Allowing himself to be comforted, he felt the tears when he murmured against her neck.

“I have been searching so long…”

“I know.”

Lifting his head, she kissed him lightly on his cheek before pulling him back into her embrace. Rocking him slightly, she murmured soft words of love. The others left mother and son alone, giving them the privacy.

Held in his mother’s embrace, he closed his eyes, feeling safe for the first time in a long while.

**********

Five days later


He heard Lyle’s footsteps returning, shifting slightly so that he could see the other. He was dragging something, one of the big army tog bags. Lyle dropped the bag in front of him, his manner relaxed despite the exertion he must have spent. A sadistic smile settled on his face. Unzipping the bag, he shifted it so that whatever was inside rolled out. J’s anger increased when he looked at the body of a young Asian woman, blood covering her face and shirt she had on. Lyle took out a phone, flipping it open. Tilting his head, he waited, his hand hovering over the buttons. His voice thick, J recited the emergency number he had of his dad, once again looking at the unconscious girl.

The phone was pushed against his ear. Glancing at Lyle, he listened to the sound of ringing on the other side. He briefly closed his eyes when he heard his father’s questioning voice. Swallowing, he answered quietly.

“Dad,” glancing at Lyle again, he continued, “it’s me, J.”

“J, where are you. Are you ok?”

J had no idea what Lyle wanted him to say, the phone still pressed against his ear. He answered his dad, hoping that it was what Lyle wanted.

“I’m fine, dad. Lyle is here, I think he might want to talk to you.”

Lyle smiled his praise as the phone was pulled away from J’s ear.

“Major Charles, how much do you love your son?”

Walking behind J, he pulled the boy against the back of the chair. He could feel J stiffen beneath his hand.

“I lost everything because of your interference. Do you think J could be payment enough?”

“What do you propose?”

His hand encircled J’s neck, tightening slightly, warning the boy to be still.

“I want to speak to Jarod.”

“No. I won’t…”

Lyle’s eyes darkened, his hand increasing its grip.

“Major, I don’t think you understand. Let me speak to Jarod… now, or you will listen over the phone to the last breaths of your other son.”

He watched J struggle for breath, a tight smile on his lips. He could hear the panic in the Major’s voice.

“Lyle, wait. I can’t. Jarod is still unconscious. He…”

“I think you’re lying, Major and I don’t like being lied to. Say goodbye to Gemini.”

He flipped the phone closed, releasing his hand from around J’s neck and patting him on the head like a household pet. Kneeling by May Lin, he tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear, allowing his hand to linger on her cheek. Turning, he winked at J before opening his knife.

**********

“Lyle!”

Shouting once more in the dead phone did not calm his nerves. The cold and unemotional utterance left him weak and terrified for J’s safety. Calming his nerves, he started down the stairs.

“Dad?”

Turning on his heels, he saw his son holding on to the lintel of the doorway to keep his balance.

“Jarod, you shouldn’t be up. You need to be in bed.” Moving forward, he slipped one hand underneath Jarod’s arm, fully intended to return him. Jarod stopped him, his eyes searching the Major’s face.

“What did Lyle want?”

Shaking his head, he tried to coach Jarod back. Jarod’s quiet voice tore at his heart; he couldn’t afford to lose him again.

“Please…dad.”

Looking into Jarod’s brown eyes, he saw all the years of loneliness and pain buried deep. Increasing his grip, he pulled his son into an embrace. The ringing phone interrupted their thoughts, breaking them apart. Settling his son on the bed, he answered, aware of Jarod’s gaze on him.

“Lyle?”

“Dad, its me. Lyle wants to speak to Jarod.”

He could hear the pain in his son’s voice increasing his worry.

“J, did he hurt you?”

He hurt J gasp, a low moan whispering over the line.

“Lyle, leave him alone…Lyle!”

The major’s eyes filled with panic when he called for a third time, hearing the quiet sobs his son was suppressing. His face darkened with anger, his hand white where it gripped the phone.

“J can’t come to the phone right now. If I were you Major, I put Jarod on the line. Else, you can listen as I…”

Holding the phone out to Jarod, he looked at his son’s eyes, silently asking for forgiveness.

Jarod growled a low greeting, aware of the background noises from the other.

“Well well, if it isn’t wonder boy. You know, Jarod, you caused me a lot of trouble and I want you to undo it.”

“Undo what? I woke up yesterday for the first time, Lyle and before that you had me under lock and key.”

“I do not underestimate your skills.” Lyle snapped, “I want you on route 26 in two hours.”


Before Jarod could respond, the call was disconnected.


**********


“Jarod, I cannot believe that you think you are going to do this on your own. How do you think you will drive with that leg of yours?”


“Parker, I cannot put anyone else in danger, he wants…”


“No, Jarod. We did not save your ass to watch you hand it back to my demented brother on a plate.”


Folding her arms, she leaned back, lifting one delicate eyebrow.


Sighing, Jarod looked at his toes sticking out of the plaster. He tended to forget how obstinate she really could be. This argument had been going on for fifteen minutes, and he was still nowhere in convincing her to stay away.


“Have you ever considered that I might know what I’m doing?”


“Really, and here I thought you were a genius.”


**********

Warehouse – 12:00



He stopped just inside the doorway, allowing his eyes to adjust to the light. The warm breeze ruffled his hair, tingling his senses with its touch. He could just make out the dim interior from where he leaned on his crutches, the darker shadows from discarded equipment barely perceived.


Parker had dropped him of at the gate after another heated discussion, finally relenting to his plan with another stern warning.


"Jarod, I will never forgive you if you manage to get yourself killed. Remember that."



He watched in disbelief when she drove off, wheels screaming in anger as the car fishtailed before she brought it back under control. He could only hope that someday in the distant future he will fully comprehend all the pieces that made up Parker.


He noticed an old table and chair towards the back of the warehouse. The reason it had drawn his attention was due to the laptop screen that shone a blue halo around it. Leaving the sunlight streaming through the door, he made his way further into the dusky interior. Pulling the chair closer, he leaned his crutches against the table. He nearly fell over, the one shorter leg pulling the chair sideways. Grabbing the table, he managed to prevent his tumble, careful now to balance his weight on the rickety seat. Clicking on the mouse pad, he opened the screen that stared back at him. His fingers started tapping on the keyboard, scrolling through the application programs loaded on the laptop. He was halfway through when the slight scrape of a foot against cement warned him that Lyle was behind him. Keeping his hands on the keyboard, he sat still, waiting for the other.


"You followed my instructions, exactly."


"Yes."


He intentionally altered his posture and voice to be non-threatening, part of his plan hinging on Lyle's belief that he was the one in control. The cold muzzle of a gun settled on his neck, reinforcing the danger he knew he would be in. Staying still as commanded, Lyle's hands roamed his body, making sure that he had no hidden weapons or any other unwanted communications equipment. Keeping his gaze lowered, he responded mechanically when Lyle asked him to acknowledge who he was. Only then, did Lyle step away.


"I'm disappointed, Jarod. You should not have left when you did. Your training was progressing so well. Now we will have to start again and I cannot promise that it will be easier this time. You will have to make up for all the anguish that I experienced because of your absence."


He ignored Lyle's threats, instead rising and turning slowly, keeping his balance by leaning one hand on the table.


"Where's J?"


"Ah ah, Jarod." Lyle sneered, "I might consider reuniting you and J in the near future. It all depends on how well you convince the Centre that the information had been planted on my pc."


"How am I supposed to do that? You, of all people know what the Centre is like when it has its bloodhounds on someone's trail. I'm sure Raines or is it daddy, had not forgotten how many times you had switched alliances to benefit your own ambitions."


Jarod ducked, Lyle’s swinging arm failing to connect to his face. Stepping into Lyle’s body, he gave a short jab into the other’s ribs. The blond man grunted in pain, before using his body to tackle Jarod to the ground. The table gave way beneath their bodies, crashing with a loud tearing sound as the rotten wood snapped under their combined weight. Jarod tried to protect his leg, his body still weak from his previous incarceration under Lyle. He fended Lyle’s blows off as best he could, unable to shift the others weight from his body. One vicious blow left his head reeling, his vision fading in and out for a brief second or two. Lyle’s body lifted from his and he shifted onto his side, shaking his head from side to side to get rid of the ringing in his ears. He could hear Lyle walking past him, his breaths loud in the open space of the warehouse. Finally able to focus, he watched as the chairman’s son gave the now defunct laptop a kick.


“That was not a smart move, Jarod. Why is it that for someone with your vast intelligence, that you fail to follow the most basic of instructions.” Circling the pretender, Lyle continued his tirade, “If only you had remembered your place. You are forcing me to hurt you and your brother. You do know that, don’t you?”


Dropping to his haunches, he pushed Jarod’s head back, forcing the other to look at him. Defiant eyes glared back, igniting Lyle’s anger. Turning Jarod onto his stomach, he cruelly snapped handcuffs around Jarod’s wrists. Kicking the crutches out of the way, he made his way behind the old crates he had stacked against the wall earlier. Grabbing the boy, he proceeded to drag the body over to where the other lay.


“What have you done with him, you son of a…”


Lifting Jarod’s upper body from the floor, he backhanded the Pretender more violently than Jarod had prepared for. The blood started to well from the cut to his lip, while Lyle moved to stand behind J, a smirk on his face while he taunted the other.


“I would be careful in the way I address my superiors. Gemini might just experience the consequences of your inability to learn respect, Jarod. And you do remember what I did the last time to make sure you understood that lesson, don‘t you Jarod.”


Nodding his head slowly, Jarod moved into a sitting position.


“I want you to say it, say that you understand, Jarod.”


“I don’t think so,” a voice said from behind Lyle, the sound of a gun being cocked loud in the ensuing stillness. Jarod saw Lyle grimace, before the chairman’s son swung around.
“I wondered when you would be here. You know, I had always had my suspicions regarding your loyalties and it seems that this only confirms it. So, are you and the lab rat lovers?”


Parker smiled, a dangerous glint in her eyes as she looked Lyle up and down. Lowering her weapon slightly, she enjoyed the widening of her brother’s eyes.


“You wouldn’t dare.”


Lifting an eyebrow, she glanced at Jarod asking him if he was all right. Keeping her gun trained on Lyle, she took the risk and gave a longer look at the inert body that lay next to Jarod.


“Uncuff him,” she demanded, “and Lyle,” waiting for him to look her in the eyes, she warned, “this is your one and only warning, try anything and you will find out how a nine fingered eunuch survives in this world.”


Moving behind Jarod, keeping his hands in view, he released the pretender. Rising he stepped away, his eyes glaring daggers at his sister. She stepped closer, eyeing the unresponsive boy again.


“Key, Lyle. Now.”


“Parker, you have to think about this. Why throw away your legacy for the resident lab rat. He is nothing to you, but we are family. Together there is so many things that we’ll be able to do.”


“If I’m so important in your equation, why did you conspire with Alex to kidnap me and hold me in isolation?”


Lyle allowed a brief smile to centre on his face. Taking a step closer, he answered, “Is that what he told you. Why believe a pretender who knows how to spread dissent and lies. I always had your best interest at heart.”


“Really, I’m flattered Lyle. With brotherly love like yours…that is far enough.”


Rising her weapon, they glared at each other over the barrel, the two pretenders momentarily forgotten. Her finger tightened when the familiar sound of helicopter blades invaded the tension in the room, breaking the stare contest in two. Her shot went wide as the knife he had had in his pocket jerked her head sideways in order to avoid the projectile. She saw him disappear through the doorway that led to the other rooms in the warehouse. Helping Jarod drag J behind the crates, she ran to the doorway leading outside. Glancing, she swore before accepting the reality of the Centre helicopter that had landed. Taking note of the sweepers that alighted from the aircraft, she smiled briefly before going out to meet them.


**********


“Sam, take the flank. My idiot brother is in here somewhere. I want him found.” Indicating two others to go with her, they started the slow hunt. She briefly looked in the direction of the boxes lining the one wall, hoping that Jarod and J were safe.


**********


Jarod watched the sweepers and Miss Parker disappear through the door that Lyle had fled through. Taking a small skeleton key out of his plaster, he proceeded to uncuff the boy. Checking for any other less obvious injuries, he noticed the telltale bruising and puncture marks on J's inner arm. Lifting the boy's eyelids, he saw the irises retract. J had been drugged heavily by a sedative and from the looks of it, it will probably be another two or three hours before the boy will wake. Opening the clamshell phone that Parker had left him, he proceeded to dial, leaving a short message on the answering machine.


**********


Her gun led the way into the darkened interior of the debilitated warehouse. Pointing to her left and right, she took the centre doorway, leading into a small packing room. Old crates and boxes littered the floor, the light diffused that came through the painted windows set in the right hand wall. Kicking a small broken crate out of the way, she made her way slowly inwards, aware of all the hiding places in the room. The small scrape to her left had her instantly swing to that side, before Lyle's body violently slammed into her. She hit the wall with a thud, her gun hand losing its grip. Elbowing her brother, she used the breather to lunge for the gun. He swore loudly, grabbing her wrist and twisting it cruelly behind her back. His other hand encircled her throat, pinning her body against the wall.


"Give it up, Parker," he breathed heavily.


She bucked against his body, trying to get some leeway but he only pushed her arm higher, increasing his grip on her neck. Icy fingers ran up and down her spine, and she shuddered when his lips brushed against her cheek. Her face darkened in anger but she had no physical outlet, held immobile by the grip he had on her.


"You know, you really are beautiful when you are angry. If only you could understand that what I did, I did for the Parkers. For us."


"And by giving me to Alex you achieved what?"


His breath was hot on her face and she closed her eyes as he whispered his reasons.

"It was for your protection. I needed you somewhere safe until I could implement my plan. Alex failed to follow instructions as I set them out. But you remedied that when you killed him."


He pushed her from the wall, watching as she fell on the dust-covered floor. Picking up the fallen gun, he kept an eye on her and the door. Looking into his eyes, she started to rise, her pose regal and her voice low as she asked.


"Why go through the farce with Jarod, then? You had him a month before, why wait before you brought him back. I'm sure Raines would have been ecstatic."


Lyle smiled, his eyes cold and distant.


"Timing, Sis. Haven't I told you before - timing is everything and my, should I say, fortunate meeting with Jarod meant that I had to put him on ice for a month. We both know how slippery he is, so I had to make sure that he would stay put. Having a lame pretender was an added bonus and it meant his mobility was greatly reduced making my task so much easier."


"You're insane."


"Psychological assessments are so subjective, don't you think. Besides, if not for your meddling, I would have been in the chairman's seat already and you would have been sitting right next to me."


Parker laughed, a mocking one that increased Lyle's anger.


"Why don't I believe you? You're the most selfish s.o.b I know. ."


Lifting the gun, his finger tightened. He snarled her words into silence, "Be careful, Parker. I'm the one with the gun and I have no compunction of becoming an only child. Be grateful that for the moment I need you."


Glaring at her, he told her to turn around, his eyes hardening when she failed to follow his directive. He gave it a second time, his tone more aggressive and she relented, turning her back on him. Following his directions, she made her way past the boxes stacked against the wall to a small opening in the wall. She had to bend her body to fit in and he pushed her forward into the darkness.


**********


Jarod placed his crutches underneath the co-pilots seat, while his dad made J comfortable in the back. He wiped the sweat from his brow, looking around the empty lot where the helicopter had landed towards where the warehouse stood. He would give her another five minutes and then they would have to leave. They had planned for this, knowing that if she could not make it back to them in time that they would meet up at a byway ten miles up the road.


For one brief moment, there seemed to be an absence of sound and air before Jarod was pushed against the door, the helicopter rocking on its skids. Dust and bits of rock and debris started to rain around them and when he turned, he found the warehouse in flames. Dark clouds of smoke roiled upwards into the blue sky. His eyes watered, his ears ringing from the loud clap of resonance that filled the void.


His dad grabbed him and only then was he aware that he had been on his way back, adrenaline giving strength to his broken leg. Tears mixed with the fine dust that had settled on his face and he slowly became aware of his dad's voice telling him that they have to leave. Turning towards the helicopter, his dad's arm around him they made their way slowly towards the black bird.


"Jarod!"


The cruel voice brought him to a halt. Turning to his left, he saw Parker in Lyle's grip, the gun tight against her body. He felt immense relief to know that she had not been in the warehouse when the building had blown up.


"Lyle, let her go. You have nowhere to go. Its over."


Increasing his headlock, his gun made a track towards where Jarod stood with his father. Lyle smiled coldly, shaking his head in denial.


"It's never over. You owe me Jarod, and I intend to take what's mine."


Jarod could feel his dad move his arm behind him, grabbing the pistol he had tucked into his back. Trying to keep Lyle's attention from what his father was doing, he goaded the other man.


"So, how many times do you think you can play this rise from the dead strategy you keep performing? Why did you blow up the warehouse or was that just another one of the countless mistakes you’ve made?"


Taking a step forward, forcing Parker to move with him, Lyle took aim at Jarod's father.

"I'm not in a good mood, Jarod… Remember Kyle," watching the tightening on Jarod's face," I thought so. Unless you want to experience the same scenario with dad, I suggest you make your way to the helicopter."


Jarod looked at Parker, trying to convey their plan to her, hoping that she would understand. He took a step forward, crumbling on his leg. His stumble and fall act drew Lyle's attention, and Parker managed to jab him with her elbow. Lyle grunted, bending slightly before her right leg jabbed backwards, her stiletto-heel making contact with his foot. Bellowing loudly in pain, Lyle lost his grip on her. Jarod heard the shot, already hopping to his foot while Lyle crumbled to the ground, a red stain spreading over his shirt. Parker helped him into the cockpit, and he started flipping the switches. His dad joined him in the front seat and he could see the black Lincoln cars that were speeding towards them from the road. They lifted off, and the last view he had was of sweepers surrounding the body of Lyle.


He allowed a smile to spread, looking at his dad and then at Parker who had J's head on her lap. He knew that the Centre would still come after them, but for now, everyone he cared about, was safe. And in his world, that was all that mattered.


**********


If you read this far, it means that you might have liked the story. So, send your views and let me know if you want a sequel...and what you thought of the last chap. In any case, thank you for reading my story. ;-)