Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See chapter 1
Wow! Thanks for all the great reviews. It made me work even harder on this chapter. Hope you like it.


Confrontations


Safe house


The house was nestled in between towering hardwood trees, creating a sense of privacy and comfort. The driving lane was mottled dark and grey where the half-moon shone through the leaves. Here and there leaves rustled, whispering in answer to the gentle breeze that danced among them.

Coasting along the lane, the lights of the car settled on the log cabin before gliding to a stop in front of the white washed garage door. Harry gave a glance at the dozing Major, not wanting to interrupt his much needed sleep. Looking around him, he opened his door, stood and stretched. The stillness was the first thing he noticed. No blaring of horns, no shouts of anger or indignation, no loud music. Silently closing the door, he went around the car towards the dark house. Taking the four stone steps in two, his feet sounded hollow when he stepped onto the wooden porch. Everything was neat and in order. Staring around him in the dim moonlight he could just make out the pot plants that stood to the left of him. Counting blindly, he felt the rough edges of the terracotta holders. The second one from the steps held his prize. His fingers closed around the house key, the metal cool to the touch.

Opening the screen door, he inserted the key and turned the lock. The click sounded loud in the stillness, it made him cringe wanting nothing more than to walk away. Entering, his hand touched the switch, bathing the living room with a sudden brightness that made him squint. Teary-eyed he surveyed the room. To his right two couches faced the fireplace, a rug lying in front of them with a small table set between them. The kitchen was set in the back, a serving counter built into the wall. Two doors led to darkened rooms that were probably bedrooms and bathrooms. Stairs in front of him led to a loft with the door closed. Walking towards a built-in closet next to the stairs, he was relieved when the opening door revealed blankets, pillows and bed sheets. Grabbing a pillow and blanket, he put it down on the one end of the couch. With nothing more to be learned from the current surroundings he left to wake the Major.

**********


Safe house



It was really hard to open his eyes. The thought of where his sons were currently being held, forced him to wake. His body was sore, black and blue marking his skin where he had slammed against the seatbelt, other random bruising the ones he had received from the sweepers. He was incredibly nauseous and he guessed that it was from the concussion the doctor had diagnosed. Swallowing the bile that was rising, he allowed the paramedic to help him from the car. The world took a spin and if not for the stabilising hand of the black man, he would have fallen. His nausea increased even more, if that was possible; and he held himself still while he waited for it to settle. Nodding his head from a concerned question, they slowly made their way towards his hiding place.


**********


The Centre – SL 27



The room was small, no bigger than a walk-in closet. Speakers were bolted to the wall, making surround sound seem like a cheap compromise to the purity of sound that could be achieved. A three-way projector threw images against the white walls, completing the experience to one of ecstasy; that is if you were to view your favourite movie.


J sat at the desk that stood in the middle of the room, the door facing the back of the chair in which he was currently seated. Sounds of violence emanated from the speakers, deafening his already overloaded senses. The walls radiated malice, greed, and death. It showed the full extent of humanity's degradation; numbing him even further. He tried to lean forward, to rest his weary head on the table. The straps across his chest brought him up short of his goal. A desperate scream made him jump, his eyes taking in the scene he never wanted to see. Retreating even further into his mind, he erected defences and walls; fortifying his already bruised psyche. He wasn’t aware of the whispered litany that left his lips; or of the shutting down of his already abused body. Sweat started to stream down his face, his cuffed hands trembling, creating a slow but increasing beat against the wood of the armrests. His eyes turned inward, his lips blue; accentuating the paleness of his skin as the straps across his body kept his convulsions in check. His last coherent thought before darkness took him into blessed silence was whether he would ever know if his dad survived the crash.


**********


The Centre – Sydney's office



Sydney could only remember one other time when he had been so angry. Opening the filing door he extracted a small bottle of bourbon he had kept for occasions like these. Grabbing his coffee mug he poured himself a good measure before downing it.


"There have been… questions regarding… your fitness… as Jarod's… mentor."



Keeping hold of both his mug and the bottle, he moved towards his desk, the conversation still brooding in his mind.


"You're… getting too personally… involved… Sydney."



Seated by the desk, he watched the swirl of the bourbon against the white enamel of his mug, trying do decide how drunk he wanted to get.


"I question your… commitment to the… Pretender Project. "



Taking another mouthful, he allowed the alcohol to burn a path down his throat.


"If need be, I will… have you removed. Will that… be necessary?"



Sydney could still feel Raines' beady eyes boring into his, his tone triumphant when he gave the ultimatum. Dance to the Centre's strings or leave Jarod in Lyle and Raines' hands. Despite everything he had allowed and had done in his life he would never be able to live with the knowledge that he had left Jarod in their hands. Raines had told him in no uncertain terms that he was to stay away from the Centre tomorrow. He will be allowed to see Jarod again on Tuesday morning. Just one day, he thought, what could happen to Jarod in one day. Tiredly he leaned into his seat, gulping the last of the remaining liquid left in his mug.


**********


The Centre – Monitor room



"Shit!"


Sam took another look at the still figure in the room. His fingers flipped two switches, closing the circuits that entered the room. Picking up the phone he dialled the infirmary, requesting immediate assistance. He rushed towards the room, slamming the door open. He expertly loosened the straps, releasing the cuffs and dragging the body into the hall. He could see the medics rush in towards them and he stepped away from the boy to give them room to work. He watched as they jerked his shirt open, hooking him to the heart monitor, the screen flat lining. With nothing more to do but watch as the medics fought for the boy's life, he turned towards one of the sweepers, instructing him to stay with the boy at all times. With that done he left to let Lyle know what had happened.


**********


Monday morning 1st – The Centre – 6:00



Jarod pushed breakfast away, dropping his heavy head onto his bend elbow. The sedative still coursed through his veins, not enough to push him back to unconsciousness but still sufficient to keep him drowsy and compliant. His hair was cut short in the same style he had had for ten years; despite all the protests he had put up. His wrists hurt and had been bandaged, here and there red patches had leaked through from the deep cuts he had managed to give himself last night. Hearing the familiar footsteps of his nemesis, he pushed upward, his bleary eyes trying to focus on the blond man.


"Eat, Jarod. You need the nutrition to perform optimally."


Dragging the plate reluctantly closer, he tried to swallow a spoonful of the green slob. He wanted nothing more than to force-feed Lyle his breakfast and made a note to keep it in mind when he escaped.


Swallowing another mouthful, he dropped the spoon on the plate.


"Jarod."


"No, I had enough."


Jarod braced his body for the punishment he expected from Lyle. When Lyle didn't move, he relaxed slightly.


"Where's Sydney."


"It's time for you to start work. Broots should be here shortly to help with the search for Parker."


Jarod could feel his heart settle somewhere in the pit of his stomach. He remembered last night and the circumstances under which Sydney had left.


"I want to see Sydney."


He didn't like the smug smile that formed on his captor's face, even less, when Lyle answered him.


"Sydney is irrelevant to the current phase of your assignment. But,” increasing his smile, he tilted his head slightly, raising his eyebrows in a questing manner, “I always wondered; if you had to choose between Parker and Sydney who it would be.”


**********


Undisclosed vicinity



Alex dropped the postman’s hat on the table, a sigh of contentment escaping his lips. The package had been delivered; the idiots are no closer to his location than they were yesterday. Breaking the seal of the water bottle, he took a swig before turning to the screens. Adjusting one of the dials, he zoomed in on the sleeping form of Parker. He wondered why she had never seen through Daddy’s deception, why she had tried so hard to please someone that was obviously manipulating those feelings towards his own selfish means.


“Soon,” he promised silently.


**********


Sydney's house – 7:00



The incessant ringing in his ears finally registered as the phone. He turned, folding his pillow over his head in the hope that whoever it was would give up. Ten minutes later Sydney gave in.


"This is Sydney."


The pained voice of Major Charles brought him to full alertness, forgetting momentarily the drinking of the previous night. Rising out of bed he grabbed his head when the full brunt of his indiscretion left him reeling, forcing him back down on the bed.


"Sydney, are you listening?"


"Just give me a minute." Opening his bedside drawer, he grabbed two painkillers, swirling them down with water. Taking a deep breath he picked up the phone.


"I'm here."


"We need to talk. Can you meet me?”


“When?”


“Two hours from now on the Macy farm road by the bend. Do you know where it is?”


“Yes,” giving his watch a glance, “I’ll meet you there.”


Terminating the call, he felt relief flow into him. At last he had help in organizing Jarod’s escape.


**********


The Centre – Renewal Wing


J looked around him. Finally he was safe. The fortress rose steadily in the air. Something funny about it though. He had never seen the clouds swirl and speed across the atmosphere like that before. Smiling, he focused on the walls again. They were steel grey, each block carefully placed on the other till it formed an impregnable barrier. The walls were topped of with rolls of barbed wire, the hooks glinting dangerously; warning anyone coming to close that death awaited them. Something was tugging at his body but he ignored it. No one will hurt him here. This was safe.



"We managed to resuscitate the boy but I'm afraid it is a bit difficult at this stage to determine the damage to the brain. He's in a coma and seems very determined to stay there."


"I need the boy able to work, doctor. I do hope you understand my predicament. I want you to use all means, but get him awake. You have twelve hours."


Leaving the incredulous doctor behind, Lyle stepped out of the room. He had not thought that the boy would have such a bad reaction and he needed to keep that in mind for later.


**********


Macy farm road – 9:00



It was a warm summer’s morning, the day only just starting its promise. A dust cloud indicated Sydney’s arrival, it slowly settled till the air was clear again. Taking another look through the binoculars, the Major made sure that no one had followed the psychiatrist. Getting up slowly, he waved to Harry. Scanning the sky again, he made sure that there was no distant spec that could be a Centre helicopter. Finally satisfied, he carefully made his way down the hill towards the waiting car.


**********


The Centre – Simlab



Jarod only half-heartedly focused on what Broots were doing. He had found the most likely location where Alex held Miss Parker an hour ago. Now he wanted to think without any distractions or too much interruption. Directing the tech on another useless search pattern, he tried to concentrate on means of getting out of the Centre. He needed to disable the cameras and he needed help with that. He needed a brace to help support his leg and he needed help with that. He probably would be able to make a makeshift one that would hold him till he got out but that still left the woods and road to traverse. The one he had used for the sim would work better. The one conclusion he could make unequivocally was that he needed help if he was going to escape.


**********


Macy farm road



“Major, what happened? Are you alright?” Sydney asked with concern when he saw the state that Jarod’s dad was in.


“Lyle’s ‘Sniffer Dog’ thought I would give up the location of J if he used my body as a punch bag for his sweepers. Unfortunately he still managed to capture J.”


"J's back at the Centre? I'm so sorry, I had no idea." Looking into the Major's eyes, he could see that Jarod's father knew that Jarod was back too.


"How is Jarod? Have you seen him?"


Sydney could hear the worry in the Major's voice.


"Jarod's hurt, but otherwise fine. Lyle had put in a hospital for the past month before bringing him in about a week ago. His leg had been broken quite severely. I do not know if he will ever be able to walk without a limb."


"J's hurt too. The last time I saw him he had sunburn, some marks and scratches and limping quite badly."


Grabbing a map from his car, Sydney spread out the blue print of the Centre on the bonnet.


"I had started an escape plan for Jarod. We will have to amend it to include the boy. I'll get Broots to help us with the more technical aspects like the cameras…


The sun steadily rose while the three men continued to amend and discard plans to get Jarod and the boy out of the Centre.


**********


The Centre – Simlab – 10:00



Lyle entered the Simlab, a brown envelope in his hands. Dropping it on the table, he directed his attention to where the prodigy sat with the tech. He was aware that he had Jarod's attention and he liked that.


"This came for you. You don't have a lot of time so I suggest you open it," looking at his watch, "now."


Wheeling over to the table, Jarod gave a suspicious look to Lyle. Taking the envelope he wondered what was going on when a phone dropped from the brown packet.


Crouching besides Parker, Alex traced the softness of her skin. A smile tucked at his lips when he entered the number in the phone. Satisfaction creased through when he heard the click and the tentative answer. His right hand held the phone to his ear, his left still lingering on one spot.


"Did you know that she has a beauty spot just between her third and fourth ribs on her left side?"



"Alex," he growled, his grip increasing on the phone.


"How did you figure that one out? Maybe you are as good as they say?"



"What do you want?"


Alex chuckled, his hand moving lightly over her skin. This is going to be fun.


"Why assume I want anything. You know…, Lyle is right. She really is beautiful when she's angry."



Jarod closed his eyes, breathing deep. Alex was playing with him, trying to make him lose focus. Concentrating, he managed only slightly to bring his emotions under control.


"Why Miss Parker? Everyone assumed you were dead. Why not disappear?"


"This…makes life more worth living, don't you think." Tucking a stray hair behind her ear, he traced her features, enjoying the feel of power.


"You should have seen her reaction when she read the article of your death. It was heartbreaking. I really think she has feelings for you."



"You …."


"A…ah. No swearing, Jarod. If I don't like this conversation, she dies."


Breathing deep, his left hand pounding in frustration on the armrest, he focused on his voice,


"I'm sorry. You have me at a slight disadvantage. Why the phone call?"


"From one pretender to another, did you enjoy being her?"


Jarod ignored the question. It was irrelevant, Alex was only baiting him. He already knew what he went through.


"Have you ever thought what the Centre would do to you if they found you again?"


Very good, Alex thought. But you're still as ignorant as always regarding you're own worth. Tucking the phone against his shoulder, he finished dressing Parker. He decided to answer Jarod's question with one of his own,


"How's the leg? I hear batting practice started a month ago. "


"I'll survive. As always. Tell me, Alex," Jarod looked directly at Lyle, "did you do all this by yourself or did you have help."


Taking the red notebook, he threw it into the bucket with all the other cleaning equipment. He was slightly irritated by Jarod's question but decided it was not worth it to correct him on it. There was other ways of having fun.


"I hear Lyle has something special planned tonight for just the two of you."



Jarod felt cold fingers running down his spine. Alex might just be lying, but knowing Lyle he didn't doubt that the statement could be true. He really did need to get out of here.


Throwing a blanket over the sleeping figure, he relished in the fear he could feel from Jarod. Bending down, he gave her a goodnight kiss on her forehead. He could imagine the pretender's discomfort. With one last lingering touch, he rose and continued,


"Have you ever considered how long a person can go without any human contact? Miss Parker has had no contact with any one for nine days. What do you think would be the implications if she was kept isolated from anyone for a month? No human contact to keep her sane, no Jarod to help her cope with Daddy's little secrets, no Sydney to lean on for a father figure." Holding his breath, Alex waited. Jarod's answer was as predictable as if he read if from a script.


"I'll find her."


Laughing silently, his voice was filled with amusement,


"Oh, of that I have no doubt. The question is, will you be in time to save Miss Parker's soul?"


Closing the cell phone, Alex felt pleased. Jarod was slowly succumbing to the stress. He could hear it in the pretender's voice and he doubted that he could sim the tremor. He opened the cupboard and inserted his last item. This should be the final straw that would break Parker into a million pieces.



Putting the phone into Lyle's outstretched hand, Jarod turned his chair around and started to wheel from the lab. Willie stepped into his path and he tried to wheel around the black man. His head dropped slightly when Lyle applied his brake before pulling him back against the chair.


"Where do you think you're off to?"


"I need to think. I need to have some time alone."


Jarod felt Lyle's glove on his neck, the grip increasing slightly while the chairman's son laughed.


"Jarod, you need to really learn to understand this. You have no rights. You do as you're told when you're told. "


Jarod tried to ignore Lyle, the taunts and the grip. All he experienced was Miss Parker's turmoil. Alex's question had left him open and he couldn't help but to feel her anguish. Shaking his head, he leaned forward in the hope that he could shake the grip.


"I need to see Sydney. Now."


A gasp left him when Lyle angrily pulled him back by the short hairs on the back of his head, forcing him to look into his captor's eyes, his head angled over the chair.


"You're mine, Jarod. Sydney will be removed permanently if you act up again. You will see him when I deem it appropriate. Not before. Am I clear?"


Jarod knew there was no choice. He had to let Lyle think he had the overhand. Hoping that he would get to see Sydney soon, he acceded. He allowed the Chairman's son to wheel him back towards the table. Pushing his anger and resentment down, he started to answer Lyle's questions regarding the phone call.


'Just hold on, Parker, please. I'm coming,' he silently promised having no idea how he was going to get out of this mess.


**********


Undisclosed vicinity – 11:00



It's gone. The notebook is gone.


Ignoring the blanket, ignoring the new clothes she searched frantically for the one thing that showed her at least some part of the real world. Whoever it was that changed her clothes, kept her room in check had removed the one item she wanted to keep.


She needed to think, to rationalise what she felt and why. Moving back to the bed she seated herself on it. Picking up the blanket, she revelled in the feel of its softness. Pulling it like a shroud around her, she burrowed into the bed, facing the wall. She knew that something new would be waiting behind the door. She didn't want to see it. Only hurt and pain came from there. She could almost feel the evil vibrating the door, trying to force it open. Whimpering slightly, she wanted nothing more than to let go and give in. But she knew, Jarod would never allow her. Despite what she read, he would come and rescue her. He was still alive, still breathing. Tommy's face was being replaced by Jarod's and there was nothing she wanted to do to prevent that. It scared her, meaning she was opening herself to more hurt, more pain when all this turned out to be one big hoax. She imagined she heard the door rattle again, wanting to be opened, needing to witness her destruction. Trying to bury even further away from the menace behind her she felt the heat from it burn her back.


'Jarod, I need you.' She silently cried, clenching the blanket tighter against her body. She needed him to save her from the demons behind the door. To be her holy warrior and fight against the horde bombarding her from all sides. She was so tired. She didn't want to pretend anymore. Willing her body to relax she fell asleep while thinking how Jarod's hands felt when they held her own in the car for that brief moment before she drew hers away.


**********


Safe house – 12:00



Major Charles was seated on one of the couches, papers surrounding him as he poured over the plans they had started this morning. Harry was in the kitchen organising lunch for the two of them. Major Charles was really grateful for the chance to have a say in the rescue of his sons.


Sydney had promised to find out what he could concerning J and where in the Centre he was being held. Between the three of them and Broots they should be able to pull this off with success. His body still hurt and he had to break every half hour to let his eyes rest and just give his headache some respite.


Leaning against the back, he felt a draft caress his hair. Sitting up, he turned and looked at the now open front door, the sun bright that entered through it. His eyes widened when he finally recognised who stood in the doorway.


**********


Use the button down here and throw me a note on your views. ;-)