Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Please see Chapter 1 for the usual statements.



Hostile Environment
Chapter 2

By Callisto




Ivar’s restaurant
Seattle, WA


Jarod was enjoying a leisurely walk along the fashionable waterfront after a short visit with some of his stevedore friends whom he met nearby. The weather was being extremely temperate and from the crowds on the streets, most of the residents had been lured outside. He was walking slowly when he briefly glanced into the wide windows of a trendy restaurant and spotted a familiar face. From the startled expression on her face, she had seen him also.



An easy smile formed on Jarod’s lips as he quickly changed directions and entered the restaurant. At one of the tables facing the water, Jarod spotted his quarry and navigated a circuitous route through the sea of diners. As he approached the table he had a chance to get a look at the other person at the table.



“Mrs. Trask, what a pleasure it is to see you. Do you dine here often?” Jarod asked in a friendly voice while trying to ignore the predatory gaze Elena’s dining partner was giving him.



“Actually, no. We chose this spot on the spur of the moment. Jarod, may I introduce Karen Saunders? Karen, this is Jarod Muir, he is the man I was telling you about who helped save the company and kept Gareth out of jail.”



“What a shame!” Karen said with heavy sarcasm as she smiled hungrily at Jarod. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Muir. Please join us.”



Jarod was still curious about the strange exchange between his boss and his wife. He accepted the invitation, half regretting the pull of his curiosity due in large part to the overly interested regard Mrs. Trask’s friend was paying him.



Noticing a slight change in Jarod’s demeanor, Elena was in turn curious about Jarod’s reticence. He must know how handsome he was to women but instead of pandering to Karen’s obvious admiration, he seemed a bit put off by it. Elena filed this tidbit of information away in her mind.



“Forgive me but why is it a shame I helped to keep Gareth Trask out of prison?” he asked curiously.



“Karen has never been what anyone would call a ‘fan’ of my husband’s. Quite the opposite in fact, it’s because we have been friends since before my marriage to Gareth that I’m so tolerant with her,” Elena said with a laugh in her voice.



“She laughs it off every time,” Karen whispered softly to herself. Then almost literally shaking herself, she turned her attentions back on Jarod’s attractive features. “So, where has Elena been hiding you, Mr. Muir?”



“Please, call me Jarod and she hasn’t been hiding me any where. I’ve been working with Gareth for the last couple of months. May I ask why you dislike him? So far he seems to be a driven person and what he has been trying to do for the environment is very laudable,” Jarod replied politely.



Unaccountably at ease, Elena was beginning to thoroughly enjoy the developing situation in front of her. Karen was openly interested in this gorgeous man who didn’t return or bask in the attention. Karen wasn’t exactly a woman men ignored either and today she was looking particularly striking. Her friend’s long, blonde hair was fashionably cut straight. Her figure was attractively slim and her emerald green eyes were softly inquisitive, heralding the sharply intelligent mind behind them.



“I can see from the insouciant look on your face that you accept people the way they present themselves. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not suffering from a bout of prejudice—that would be positively ridiculous. It’s the things he does when he thinks no one is looking, the things he has gotten away with in the past and continues to get away with that irritates me and works me up into a fine lather of hatred,” she replied pleasantly. She carefully watched Jarod’s face as she gave her vague explanation.



Jarod’s interest deepened but he kept his expression neutral. He had finished his pretend however it was obvious from Karen’s hints that his pretend wasn’t exactly done with him.



“That sounds like it would be an interesting story to hear but perhaps we should wait for another time to have this discussion,” Jarod said with careful sincerity. He saw no reason to alienate either woman.



“I look forward to having that discussion with you. Unfortunately, I must get back to work. Mr. Muir—Jarod, it has been a pleasure. Elena, call me tonight,” Karen said gently to her friend as she rose from her seat. Reflexively, Jarod rose with her. Karen gave him a genuine smile and forcing her eyes to stay on his face she took her leave.



A few moments after Karen left, Jarod commented softly, “You’re friend is very beautiful and intriguing.”



Elena’s discomfort had started to return when Jarod made this statement and despite herself she found herself relaxing again. With a soft chuckle she replied, “You really think so? From your reaction to her, I was beginning to think that you were either very happily married or not interested in women. I don’t think Karen is used to men treating her so—nonchalantly.”



Jarod turned his eyes on Elena and smiled charmingly making it clear that he found her equally attractive. Elena knew her discomfort level should be rising but it wasn’t, instead she was enjoying this tête-à-tête.



“Tell me something about yourself, Jarod. Are you married? What brought you to this corner of the world?”



His smile faltered a bit before he responded, “No. I’m not married but I would like to have a family of my own someday.”



“Someone with your obvious gifts would be quite a catch. I can’t imagine you having any difficulties finding a suitable candidate.”



“And I suppose you have the perfect person in mind for me?” he asked with a highly amused smile.



“I just may have a certain blonde friend of mine in mind,” she answered with a laugh. They spent another hour chatting and getting to know each other. Elena insisted on Jarod ordering some food and she sat with him, watching this beautiful man who seemed completely unaware of his extraordinary good looks finish his lunch. They were talking so companionably and absorbed in their conversation that they were unaware of two sets of eyes watching them attentively.



In the same window where Jarod had spotted Elena over an hour ago, Gareth also found his wife talking to his new financial executive. Gareth stood stock still taking in the scene and had just convinced himself there was nothing to them having lunch together when he noticed his wife placing her hand over Jarod’s. The world suddenly went black for a moment as all of Gareth’s focus honed in on the slight physical contact the two were sharing.



Inside, the topic of conversation turned to Gareth. Jarod mentioned that the firm was once again on solid financial ground and he had hoped to have time to explore more of Gareth’s numerous environmental as well as some of his humanitarian projects. Elena’s brow furrowed at this information and in her own earnestness to make sure Jarod understood her, she reached out and briefly covered one of his hands with her own, stopping him in mid-sentence and commanding all his attention.



“Please Jarod, listen to me. Gareth is a very generous and determined man but he is also very spoiled. He has rarely had anyone around him who could measure up to his own intellectual prowess, until now. This lack of challenge has made him…um, I guess arrogant for want of a better word. When you found the source of his financial troubles so quickly, it was a blow to him. All I’m trying to say is to tread softly around him,” she advised solemnly as she stared into his eyes.



“You don’t seem to me to be an intellectual slouch,” Jarod said cautiously. He felt he was close to finding out the reason for Karen’s intense dislike of Gareth.



“I’m just a woman, in his mind I don’t really count. Although there have been times when even I have felt the ramifications of his need to constantly be the most intelligent person in the room,” she said softly. She was about to continue when she looked up to find her husband heading towards their table. Jarod saw her stiffen and a fleeting expression of fear appear apparition-like in her eyes. When he looked up, Gareth had just reached their table.



“Hello, I hope I’m not interrupting anything,” Gareth said with forced lightness in his voice.



“No, of course not. Jarod found me here dining with Karen and he agreed to join us,” Elena explained hastily. She quickly continued, “Karen returned to work a few minutes ago, you just missed her.”



“My loss. Darling, there are some things I would like to go over with you concerning the party next week,” Gareth said smoothly. Then turning to Jarod he said, “Please excuse us.”



Elena rose and leaving her seat she started to walk away with her husband when she abruptly stopped and returned to the table. It was as she was leaning over to retrieve her purse when Jarod looked over at her and the material of her blouse fell slightly open, revealing an ugly healing bruise on her chest. Jarod remained silent and watched solemnly as she and her husband left the restaurant.



During his numerous pretends as a doctor, Jarod had seen almost every variety of bruise in every stage of healing. The bruise on Elena’s chest was a few days old and had almost faded away. The paleness of her skin made it still visible and hinted at the severity of the injury. Now he suspected the reason for Karen’s dislike but unwilling to jump to hasty conclusions, Jarod decided some more investigation was in order. If it hadn’t been for Elena’s warning and the strange exchange between husband and wife the first time he met Elena, he probably never would have guessed. Jarod decided that the sooner he had that little chat with Karen the better, as he resolved to extend his pretend.



Another set of eyes watched the entire scene with growing interest and amusement. This situation was turning out to be far more entertaining than one of those convoluted, soft porn, daytime dramas.



Thirty minutes later, when he had returned to the office, Jarod found Gareth sitting in his office. Jarod had already decided on the best way to handle the situation and said as he walked into the room, “Gareth, I’m glad you’re here. I realized once you left the restaurant how the situation might have looked. I hope I haven’t done anything to offend you by having lunch with Mrs. Trask.”



Trask looked up and watched the other man cautiously. He had been struggling to keep his rising jealousy in check. “I’m not offended, I was just surprised to see you two together.” Gareth decided to keep to himself the knowledge of seeing them holding hands. He felt that Jarod still had his uses but the minute the other man outlived his usefulness to the company, Gareth was determined to explain a few salient facts to his over-confident financial advisor.



Jarod saw the struggles and the calming resolution that came into Gareth’s eyes. It was like analyzing a page from a book that had been left open for anyone to read. He decided to find Karen’s phone number the second he was alone and to contact her before the week was out.




Canlis restaurant
Seattle, WA

A few days later, Jarod was enjoying the dinner reservation he had made for himself and Karen Saunders. She was dressed in much the same manner as the day he met her however, her manner was more subtle than before.



“You certainly can issue a provocative invitation, Jarod,” she said softly as he held her chair politely. His invitation came with a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a note stating he needed to speak with her regarding the welfare of their mutual friend.



“I wanted to make sure you would show up. There are a few questions I would like you to answer for me. I would also like to continue the discussion we started the day we met,” he replied concisely.



“So, I take it that Gareth can’t help showing his true colors even to you. It’s amazing really, the man can’t seem to help himself,” she said with deep disgust.



“I’m not quite sure what you mean. I have noticed that he seems a bit jealous of his wife’s friends but I would like to know the reason for your dislike,” he said decisively.



“Why? What does it matter to you, what I think?” she asked abruptly.



Jarod paused for a few moments, ostensibly to gather his thoughts. “The day Elena introduced us, I stayed after you left and had lunch with her. Gareth walked up to our table and insisted that Elena leave with him. When she leaned over, I noticed a healing bruise on her chest.”



Karen’s jaw flexed and her eyes were burning with anger. “That bastard has put his hands on her again,” she stated vehemently. “You see, whenever Gareth starts feeling insecure or uncertain, he decides to beat on Elena as a way to validate his manliness.”



“I was afraid it would be something like this,” Jarod replied as he leaned back in his chair steepling his splayed fingers together under his chin.



“You know someone who is a victim of domestic violence?” she asked curiously.



“In a manner of speaking, I worked as an abuse hotline counselor once,” he answered distractedly. “How long has this been going on?”



“Almost from the start. Elena said at first he would only intimidate or push her around. It’s been in the past few years, after he started his environmental crusade, that he started actually punching her. It’s as if he were slowly getting her inured to the abuse. Unfortunately, it worked. She’s an expert in hiding the bruises and she refuses to talk about it or seek help.”



“Has Elena ever tried to leave him? Has he threatened to kill her or himself if she does?” he asked earnestly.



“Are you in love with Elena? Is that why you have this sudden interest?”



“No, but I have a strong distaste for bullies. I tend to take it personally when someone picks on, or carelessly hurts another person because he believes they are too powerless or weak to prevent it. Call it a pet peeve of mine,” he answered with a dangerous smile.



“Then I doubt it will come as a surprise to you that Elena isn’t willing to leave him. God help her but she still loves that miserable excuse for humanity. I’m glad you’re on Elena’s side. After what you did for Gareth, I was afraid that you were his man,” she stated probingly.



“I’m no one’s ‘man’ but my own. Tell me about their routine, I think it’s about time the bully gets a taste of his own medicine,” Jarod said with a conspiratorial grin.



“Look, I won’t pretend that I haven’t harbored thoughts of retaliation myself but everything I come up with doesn’t solve the problem. Trying to draw in the police is a waste of time. If the victim isn’t willing to cooperate and there are no visible marks or bruises or they aren’t called in to investigate in the middle of an argument—forget it. Gareth is too smart to actually hit her in public and Elena is in a state of denial. She doesn’t want to admit that she is a victim. You would need some kind of proof of what he’s doing to her without his knowledge, something like pictures, to get the cops involved.”



“The victim’s resistance is usually an issue but in this situation there is also Gareth’s standing in the community which also complicates matters.”



“Something you helped solidify. Now you’re getting an idea of what we’re up against,” Karen said resignedly.



“Someone once said, ‘where there is a will there is a way’. I’m a strong believer in that axiom,” Jarod replied with a cheeky smirk.