Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
4:11 AM

The chair toppled to the cement floor just as Jarod did when Miss Parker thrust her body towards him, clearing the path for Briggite's bullet. With Jarod on his back and Miss Parker lying on top of him, she quickly turned to her back and, relishing in Briggite's shocked expression, launched a duo of bullets toward the blonde. Briggite dropped to the ground, barely in time and rolled behind a computer mainframe that stretched nearly to the ceiling.

"Go get her, Parker," Jarod nudged with a whisper.

"The only door out of here is behind me. She's not going anywhere."

Miss Parker stood quietly, proud of her soon-to-be victory. With long prideful steps, gun outstretched, she suddenly whipped around the mainframe. To her astonishment, nobody was there.

"Damn it!"

Jarod hobbled to her side, "where did she," he looked at the ventilation hole in the wall, "oh. Breathe, Parker."

Clearing her throat loudly, Emily spoke from across the room against the wall, "Excuse me, but um, remember me?"

It took a moment for either of the two to react. Miss Parker eventually was at Emily's side. Jarod hobbled back to the computer and immediately began typing, although it was clear what, or rather who, was on his mind.

"Miss Parker, I'm sorry," Emily whispered.

"For what? You havn't done anything," the pacing woman replied.

The former simply shrugged, "you just have so much to juggle. Its not fair to you. And... I'm sorry."

"You're damn right its not fair," she stopped pacing, "but it isn't your fault. Don't worry about it."

"I can't help it."

She smirked, "must just be a family gene or something."

Emily gave a weak smile but remained worried.

"Hello? Is an-anybody th-th-there?"

Miss Parker sighed and mumbled 'Broots' before picking up the receiver, "what?"

"I- um are you okay? You havn't been responding to my signals."

"That would be largely due to the troll who crashed our party."

She could have sworn she heard him cringe, "B-Briggitte? Uh, what happened?"

"She disappeared and that means we have to get the hell out of here before she sicks the whole building on us."

"Oh."

"Does it get any clearer than that?"

"I suppose not, um, is Jarod still--"

"Yes."

"Okay, um, just checking. Call us when you're out."

She handed the radio to Emily and crossed the room to where Jarod was working intensely. She leaned over with one hand on the back of the chair and the other on his shoulder. Her creamy brown hair slipped over her shoulder and brushed his face causing him to intake a gasp of air quickly.

"You close?" she whispered, her eyes on the screen, which was producing a soft blue glow on her face.

"You certainly are," he whispered back with a grin on his face as he glanced at her. She returned the smile and shook her head.

"Jarod, we really have to get outta here."

"I'm almost there. Gimme five minutes," the prodigee's eyes narrowed intently.

The girls waited less than patiently, listening to the constant tapping of the keys. At long last, they heard a distinctive chime emitted from the computer's speakers and both girls looked up into Jarod's eyes. The typing had ceased and Jarod was staring at the screen, while crinkling his face up slightly in an attempt to ward the tears back.

"Jarod, what is it?" Miss Parker whispered.

"My file. My original file. It-it should have everything I've always wanted."

"You should really just download those and read them later, Jarod. We've got to go," Miss Parker said these stern words with a multitude of compassion.

"Yours are here, too. All the red files," it was as if his eyes could not be torn from the screen.

"Later, Jarod! We need to leave," her voice cracked slightly, "help me with Emily."

Jarod took a deep breath and slipped a disk into the cartridge and watched as the bar slowly filled blue with data on his life transferring into the palm of his hand. The computer spoke, 'file finished' and Jarod slipped the floppy disk into his pocket.

Together, Jarod and Miss Parker helped the wounded Emily toward the door. Jarod lifted her into his arms and carried her as Miss Parker reached for the door handle, gun armed.

The door opened before she could grab it.

"Not again, Miss Parker. Not again." Briggite stood with gun aimed and about 15 sweepers surrounding her with even more threatening weapons. Miss Parker knew her Smith and Wesson would be no match against this small army. Glancing at Jarod first, she read the understanding in his eyes, as she lowered her weapon.



[this is the last of the pre-written parts and i changed it a bit in order to progress the story. hopefully over this break, i'll write some more. if you're good. ;)]