Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The door slammed as me and my dad entered the van where Sydney and Molly waited for us expectantly. Shivering, I positioned myself in the backseat with what I knew was an anxious expression glazing my eyes. I clutched my backpack tightly to my chest. Dad had said to pack only things that could not be replaced and a change of clothes. Everything was so confusing lately. I had thought that we were finally coming home for once, but by the way it looked, we could be leaving here. Forever. My thoughts were interrupted as Dad spoke to Sydney and Molly, "Are they already in there?"

"Yes, Broots," Molly replied, "they're just waiting for your signal."

"Okay," he placed a headset on his head and adjusted the microphone so that it was in front of his mouth, "Miss Parker? Jarod? Come in?"

Their voices were crumbled as they came in through the radio speaker, but I could still hear everything.

"You forgot me, oh brilliant one," Emily reprimanded.

"Oops, sorry, Emily," my dad apologized.

"We can hear you on both walkie talkies," came Jarod's voice, "what time is it? We need to synchronize our watches."

"Uh, hold on just a sec, Jarod," he stopped and, surprisingly, turned around to face me, "what time is it, Deb?"

"Buh, um its uh 3:18," I hate it when I sound like my dad.

"3:18." There was a pause before they replied.

"Okay. You ready? We're on the East corridor near the sim labs," Jarod said.

"All right, I'm ready. There should be a sweeper coming up on your next right at the stair well."

This time, Miss Parker's voice was audible, "I'm going down those stairs. I have to find Angelo and get him out of here. Jarod and Emily are the ones who are going to the archives. I'll have my radio and they'll have one."

"Sure, Miss Parker, but what about the sweeper?" Daddy replied as I took a yawn.

I heard her snicker, "if this is truly it, then I have a lot of anger to take out on this place, and that sweeper shall feel my wrath."

"Something that none of us ever wish to come in contact with," Jarod kidded.

"Shutup, Wonder Boy. Go make some some magic in the mainframe."

"All right, I'm out. Jeez," he replied.

*****

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
3:21 AM

"This is it, don't get scared now," Emily whispered in a deep impersonating voice as she and her brother slipped around the corners of The Centre hallways. After hours of driving to Deleware, they had finally made it and now here they were, traipsing through this icy Hell as if were just an every day occurance- which Emily supposed it had been for Jarod for all of his life.

"Silence, cocky. You could get yourself killed in here," Jarod reminded her, illuminating the golden blood bond that the two shared.

"Ahh, but you forget who had a considerable part in taking out those sweepers last time we ventured through here."

"And why were we here in the first place? Oh yes, because Emily went and got kidnapped," Jarod resonded.

Emily grinned, "because I was searching for you!"

"Keep it down, children. Jeez, your sibling bickering is driving me up the wall," Miss Parker intervened, her Smith and Wesson cocked at her shoulder, "Lets just get this over with."

"After you, my lady," Jarod gestured quite gentlemanly.

She glared maliciously, "Don't you dare ever say that again or this lady will kick your ass, Labrat."

"Touchy," he muttered as she started toward the stairs. She appeared to be just the hunter that she was as she kept an arched back and somehow managed to silence the click of her heels while darting around the corner toward the stairs. It was no secret why she chose not to use the elevator.
Alone with his sister, Jarod murmured into the receiver, "We're headed to the mainframe system now, Broots."

"Do you know the way?" he answered.

"Now what kind of a question is that to a guy who grew up in the Centre?"

"Sorry," he studdered.

*****

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
3:24 AM

Sydney smiled at Broots as he cringed once hearing Jarod's reply. Even I had to laugh at that. I stared out the window at the pure night sky. I suppose it could be called an early morning sky. I was so tired, and so scared. Scared for Miss Parker. What if they were caught? I heard my dad rattle off some access codes and started to close my eyes, hesitantly. My eyelashes stopped fluttering as I began to drift to sleep. And then suddenly I was awoken by a loud sound.

"Daddy, what was that?" I sat upright and perched my head on the bench in front of me. Daddy was frantically tapping away at his keyboard and Sydney couldn't have said more than he already did with his fearful eyes.

"Daddy?!" I persisted.

Once again ignoring me he spoke into the micophone with an urgent tone, "Miss Parker? Jarod, Emily?"

Molly looked at me sympathetically, "That was a gunshot."

*****

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
3:38 AM

"What? I told you that--" Miss Parker leaned down and tilted the I.D. badge on the sweeper's shirt, "Horace would feel my wrath."

"You scared us over here, Miss Parker," Broots replied through the static.

Miss Parker shook her head and sighed, "where would you all be without me?"

"Long gone," Jarod answered her instead of Broots.

Miss Parker let that one go as she continued down the stairs until she reached an airvent. There was a deathly silence, unnerving her slightly. Discreatly, there was no struggle as she tore the cover off of the air vent. She guessed that Angelo had already opened this several times in his life. After doing one last check around at her surroundings, she climbed in and pulled the vent up behind her. Defiantly, she crawled on her hands and knees into the dark. Maybe this wasn't as good an idea as she had originally thought.

*****

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
3:39 AM

"What are they doing here? They're not supposed to be here for--" Jarod checked his watch, "21 minutes."

Emily gazed at the two sweepers talking to eachother at the entrance to the control room. She sighed and whispered back, "Like Miss Parker said, they're gonna have to feel our wrath."

Jarod frowned and didn't reply at first, "I don't know, Em. There must be another way. I don't know if I can go through with it."

"You have to. If you don't, we'll never find our parents," she took his hand, "unless of course you're just going to make your little sister do it alone."

Jarod smirked, "Be my guest."

"Hey!" she playfully punched his arm.

"Okay, okay. You're right. Let's go." They took a few steps toward the sweepers, a defiant glint smooth over Jarod's eyes, with their guns secure at their hands. The slamming of a door startled Emily and Jarod swept her back against the wall with his arm, quickly camaflouging themselves beneath the shadows.

"I told you to be on your first alert you half-witted imbeciles!" Briggite ridiculed, "there has been an infiltration on the East Wing and somebody was supposed to be monitoring it. Splendid job!"

The sweepers glanced at eachother bemused.

"Go!" the fair-haired fiend ordered with a pointed finger.

Alone, Briggite slammed her hands against her hips and pursed her lips.

Jarod and Emily held their breath, making eye contact with eachother, as they became the chameleons they were so accustomed to.

*****

Blue Cove, Deleware
The Centre
3:45 AM

The beautiful hunter cursed as her kneecap melded with the head of another bolt in the airvents. If she didn't find Cousin It pretty soon then she didn't know if she'd be able to even walk out of this Hell hole. She turned to the right and realized she had no idea where she was going. There were quite a few tunnels in The Centre air shafts and her brilliant idea to scout out the decieving Centre monkey was proving more and more fatal as the minutes went by of slithering through the dark unknown. A pinch of light seemed to be calling out towards her, but she was hesitant to believe it was anything more than an optical illusion of her own mind deceiving her, not for the first time in her pitiful life. Eventually, the spark grew in size until she was certain it was more than just a bead of false hope. Miss Parker intensified her speed as the anticipating adrenaline pulsed through her frigid veins. Finally, she emerged from the mouth of the vent.

"Daughter go. Sad. Jarod sad."

"Angelo?" she said, her whisper directed toward the shadows surrounding her.

"Daughter go. Sad. Jarod sad," the akward man crept out of the dark with a tormented pain etched upon his face, "here."

It took a moment for Miss Parker to remember, "Yes, Angelo. This. This is where I really left you and Jarod. I can't believe I'm back here."

She stared around at the scene where decades ago she had been seperated from the only two friends she had had-- the core of the ventilation system. The two old friends remained silent until Angelo leapt from his hunched position to shake her shoulders roughly and screamed in her face, "What the hell do you think you're crying for, huh!? Answer me!"

Angelo's voice echoed off the metal. Taking a deep breath, she tried to mask the fear that the memory of her father's words planted inside her heart.

"No, stop," Angelo took her hands, releasing her shoulders, "stop hiding."

"I don't think that I can, Angelo," her voice quivered as a tear waltzed along its treck down her face.

"Heart hurts," he spoke, distracted, placing his and her hands over her heart.

Her azure-lined eyes screamed out, and yet her voice was soft when she replied, "A lot."