Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Shady Oaks, Virginia
Present day


Miss Parker stared at Mr Parker, eyes spotlighting him and mouth gaping, with the most intense glare, "You have no right to call me that."

"What are you talking about, Angel?" Mr Parker asked shrugging his shoulders. Jarod, whose forehead was meeting Mr Parker's loaded gun, glanced at Sydney who sat on the couch still with a fretful glint in his eyes.

"You are not my father," she stated simply, "and besides that, I've left the dark side, now, and will never go through what you have put me through all my life again."

He groaned, "You know, you and your brother are more alike than you think."

"If he really is my brother! Then again, that's something I wouldn't know either!" With her outburst she pulled the handy Smith and Wesson from the small of her back and aimed it between his blue eyes while her own flooded with pity and regret as she whispered softly, allowing her mother's half to shine. "Please. Don't make me do this."

"Angel-" he attempted to negotiate in a desperate plea.

"Don't call me that! Now put the gun down," she ordered calmly, "just do it."

Jarod's breathing deepened while Mr Parker replied, "What changed? Jarod is still the same person that-"

"Well, I'm not," Miss Parker replied, "Last chance. Put your gun on the floor or else I will shoot."

Mr Parker looked from Miss Parker to Jarod and then to Sydney, who was listening neutrally as was typical, "I'm just doing my job."

Suddenly there was a gunshot and Jarod took the oppurtunity to struggle with Mr Parker's gun. Miss Parker glanced just in time to hear another shot following it. She gasped to see her supposed father kneeling to the floor clutching his shoulder with a groan. Moving towards him, she caught sight of Lyle standing in the doorway, his face with a crusty scarlet design of blood streaking from the top. A herd of sweepers stood behind him, but it was his gun that had been shot.

"Lyle," she stated, "what a surprise."

"You think I'd miss this one, Sis?" The only reply he received was the wave of bitter emotions in her eyes.

"Miss Parker," came a weak moan from the floor.

She turned and gasped, whispering, as she hurried to his side, "Jarod, no."

"Not surprising that you would turn to the labrat as opposed to your family," Lyle muttered sarcastically, his gun trained on Sydney and Miss Parker methodically, "or do you know the truth as well?"

"You mean the fact that Mr Identity Crisis here has lied to me all my life, yeah I know that," she returned while she checked Jarod's wound, which was only on the side of his lower leg. The calf was bleeding impatiently until she wrapped a nearby pillowcase from Sydney's previous use to stop the flow.

"Did you also figure out that I am not your brother?" his eyes no longer portrayed his vindictive amusement at the situation, only seriousness, "I understand your pain, Miss Parker."

"You could never know how I feel, Lyle," she returned, not even staring back, but then her voice changed as she began to grasp the situation and the truth to his words, "you may have never known your mother, but she was never taken from you either."

"She was taken from me, before I even got to know her. And now I have no clue who I am or where I come from. As far as I know, I have no parents. It doesn't get worse than that."

"Atleast you have hope," she whispered, sinking to the floor in despair, "now I don't even know who my twin brother is."

Jarod coughed and then, through a scratchy passageway in his throat, spoke, "Angelo."

Miss Parker's head straightened as realization dawned on her, "Oh my God, Jarod, you're right."

He managed a small smile, "Now you know everything. That's where you come from."

She laughed in a sort of shock as she often did, "I guess I do."

"That's lovely you two, but now I'm not sure what I should do with the three of you," he gestured his gun towards Sydney, Miss Parker, and Jarod. Suddenly, Emily and Molly entered the room quickly, but halted in their steps.

"Oh no," Molly whispered.

Emily shook her head apologetically toward her brother, "We heard the gunshots."

"Its okay, Em," Jarod replied raspily.

"Well, well, well," Lyle spoke while stepping towards the two women, his gun brushing down the side of her face, "its good to see you again, Emily."

"Wish I could say the same," she uncrossed her arms and bat the gun out of her face, while kicking his feet out from beneath him.

"Here we go again," Miss Parker said as she shot an approaching sweeper.

"Angel!" Mr Parker shouted, "don't! I need you."

"Shutup! I don't need to hear it anymore," she yelled while aiming for another.

"Parker," Jarod glanced up at her, "Does there have to be so much bloodshed?"

"Its the only way," Sydney answered for her as he pulled his own piece out and aimed.

Jarod's eyebrows rose and he tried to sit up, but failed. During all of the commotion, Molly hurried to his side and helped him up, receiving a grateful smile. She grinned and helped him hobble out the front door while the war continued to rage inside the cabin. Jarod was placed in the backseat of the car and he urged her to stay, but she denied him.

"I'm sorry, Jarod. I can't leave my sister. I have to help." He nodded in understanding and awaited their return eagerly.

Back inside, Miss Parker stared around at all the bodies, four lay dead on the ground while another three had been handcuffed to the stair railing. She raked her hair back on her head and sighed as a tear trickled down her face for the loss of someone who hadn't even truly been there for her. She knelt down before Mr Parker and grasped his lifeless hand forcing his eyes to close forever.

"Rest," she paused hesitantly, "Daddy, rest for me now."