Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimers and such in Part 1



To Catch A Pretender
part 4

by SaraC




~~~~~~~

Jarod awoke to find Miss Parker wrapped around him like a second skin.

He smiled.

Never in his wildest dreams had he imagined waking up with her.

Then again, he had had some pretty wild dreams about her over the years.

"What are you smiling at?"

He turned to look into her eyes as she smiled up at him from his arms.

"The most beautiful woman in the world," he replied, seeing the tears shine in her eyes.

"You do know how to stroke a girl's ego, don't you?" she mumbled delightedly, leaning up to capture his lips.

She was amazed at how easy it was to suddenly show her emotions with the man she'd been chasing for the better part of four years.

She couldn't imagine not showing them now.

When they pulled apart, Jarod smiled.

"Come on, let's find out if the serum worked," he whispered, rising from the bed and again lifting her into his arms.

"I can walk Jarod, I'm feeling much better," she made her token protest, only to have it ignored.

"I like carrying you, makes me feel like the big strong man, protecting his woman," he teased, glad when she slapped him lightly on the arm.

"Watch it Wonderboy, you know I could take you in a heartbeat," she replied, glad to see him smile at her tone.

"That's the Miss Parker I know and love," he replied as he deposited her on a chair and headed towards his makeshift laboratory.

They chatted quietly about everything and nothing as he went about the business of checking her blood.

Miss Parker was surprised to find they had so much in common.

Then again, maybe she'd always known that. She'd just never allowed herself see their similarities.

"It's working."

His whispered words brought her out of her daydreams.

"What?" she asked, almost unable to believe what she'd heard.

"It's working, your immune system is starting to repair itself!"

Jarod's cry of joy was muffled by Miss Parker's body as she ran across the room and threw herself into his arms.

They were both crying as they held each other, neither needing words to express their relief.

For what could have been hours they held each other, crying tears of joy and happiness.

When they finally came back to reality, Jarod found himself smiling idiotically at the woman he loved.

Miss Parker returned the smile, something inside her finally letting go of the past and embracing the future.

"So, what happens now?" she asked as Jarod snuggled her closer to him.

"We keep treating you until your immune system is back to 100 percent. Then, we stay hidden until the government deadline is up, and we let them bring down the Centre," he replied.

She looked up at him, fear in her expression.

"But they'll be searching for us, looking for us, can we really elude them?" she asked quietly.

Jarod smiled.

"What do you think I've been doing for the past few years?" he replied with a smile.

She frowned.

"But you only had you to worry about, now you've got me, that is, assuming you want me with you," she trailed off, sounding uncertain.

It was a new expression for her, and Jarod found he quite liked it.

"I'll always want you with me, I'm never letting you go, ever again," he whispered, leaning down to seal his promise with a kiss.

In that moment, Miss Parker knew she was truly free.

"That promise works both ways you realize," she offered when they parted.

Jarod's eyes flashed.

"It had better," he teased, pulling her into his arms as he leaned back against the wall.

After a few moments, Miss Parker broke the silence.

"Think maybe we should call Sydney? I'm sure he's going crazy by now," she whispered after a few moments.

Jarod smiled and reached for his cell phone.

~~~~~~~~~

Sydney smiled as he ended the connection, forcing the tears of relief to stay hidden, not wanting to give anything away to the watching eyes.

But his heart lightened as he realized that everything was going to be all right.

Moving unhurriedly towards his office, his mind was awhirl with Jarod's instructions to get him, Broots and Debbie out of the Centre before it fell.

It was truly going to be a new beginning, for all of them.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Your plan failed Raines, quite momentously if I do say so myself," Lyle hissed as he paced in front of the long desk.

Raines was pale as death as he breathed deeply of his oxygen, but remained silent.

"How could you not realize Jarod would take her, find a cure, and not give it to us? Did that thought even cross your mind?" Lyle raged, knowing the Centre's fall was now imminent.

Well he wasn't going to be a part of it.

"I'm through here. I'm getting out before everything comes crashing down around us. I want no connection with this place whatsoever, and I am going to make sure all references to me are eliminated," he raged, moving towards the door.

"Too late."

Lyle stopped at the resignation in Raines' voice.

"What do you mean, too late?" he asked in a deadly voice, his ears already picking up the sound of boots running through the halls.

"It's over. "The Centre has fallen. Now you all will pay," Raines murmured quietly as the door flew open and a group of soldiers marched in.

"No!"

Raines tuned out Lyle's protestations and angry words as the soldiers dragged him away. He did not envy what the boy would be facing.

"Mr. Raines, we are ready to go."

Raines turned to smile at the soldier waiting patiently for him.

"Let us go then, before the government soldiers really arrive," he replied, following the man from the room.

As he reached the doorway, he paused, stopping to take a long, last look at the placed he'd called home for longer than he could remember.

The Centre was no more.

It would be over within a few days.

And he would be far away from it all, living out the rest of his days in peace.

"Jarod, I hope you and Miss Parker get what you deserve," he whispered softly, a strange smile on his face as he stepped over the threshold and closed the door behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~

Epilogue (One year later)


Parker smiled as she turned into the driveway, happy to note Jarod hadn't beaten her home today.

Good.

She had plenty to do before her husband arrived home from his job as a college professor.

Her husband.

She smiled as she looked at the gold band on her finger, still almost unable to believe she was a happily married woman.

They had married three months after Jarod had found the antidote and the Centre had fallen, torn to pieces by vicious government agencies.

While she knew most of the Centre's operatives had been captured, she knew Raines had not been one of them. The thought that he was still out there sent a chill down her spine, but she'd learned to ignore it.

He had no power over either of them, or their small family, anymore.

Because they wouldn't let him.

Humming to herself, she entered their home and set about preparing dinner.

She wanted everything to be just right for his birthday.

An hour later she smiled as she heard a car turn into the driveway. Looking out, she smiled as she saw Sydney, Michelle, Nicholas and his wife emerge. Close behind them came Broots and Debbie, followed by Ethan and Angelo. Margaret, Major Charles, Emily and Jarod's clone who had adopted the name Michael, pulled up soon behind the rest.

She smiled as she welcomed everyone, getting an especially hard hug from Margaret. She thanked God that she and Jarod, working together with Sydney and Broots had been able to find his family.

A task made much easier when word hit that the Centre had fallen.

They had tracked Margaret to Los Angeles, where she'd been working with a fringe detective agency to decipher what she knew of the scrolls.

In the end, Jarod had finally found his mother and with the help of their new friends, discovered the prophecy that the Center would fall, by Jarod's hand.

And it had.

Although to this day, Parker was still not sure how much of what she'd seen through their connection with Angel investigations, she believed.

But the end results were the same.

The Centre was gone.

Jarod had been reunited with his family.

Now the two of them were determined to enlarge that family.

And today, she had a very special birthday present for her husband she hoped would do just that.

Exchanging greetings with everyone, she got them settled around the house, glad that she had this time to catch up before the party got into full swing.

She knew Jarod wasn't due home for another hour, which was fine by her, since people kept arriving.

They had made many friends in the six months they'd settled here, most of whom were more than happy to help them celebrate Jarod's birthday.

Many of the people Jarod had helped over the years had sent cards and gifts, a few even making the trek down south to attend the party. Parker found herself still amazed at how many people owed Jarod their lives, or had helped save his, and she took great pleasure in meeting each and every one.

She smiled as Margaret moved to her side as she finished stirring the spaghetti sauce.

"Everything looks beautiful, Jarod will love it," his mother whispered, giving Parker a hug.

She smiled, tears in her eyes as she realized how lucky her mother had been to have a friend like Margaret.

"She would have been so proud of you," Margaret whispered, knowing her daughter-in-law was thinking of her mother.

"You think so?" she asked, almost hesitantly.

Margaret smiled.

"I know she's smiling down on us all right now. As are Faith and Thomas, and your father," she replied, wiping away the tear that slipped down her cheek.

Neither woman had words as they silently absorbed each other's strength.

Finally, Miss Parker pulled away as she heard the commotion in the living room.

"I think your son has finally arrived for his party," she teased as she followed the older woman into the living room.

Her heart stopped as it always did as she caught sight of her husband.

Jarod was laughing, hugging friends and family as he made his way through the crowded living room.

She smiled, realizing she had never seen him happier.

Until he met her eyes across the room.

She caught her breath as his glowing orbs seemed to light with fire, love and adoration as he gazed at her.

She felt the blush climb her cheeks as he moved towards her, uncaring of the amused looks he was getting from those around him.

She smiled as he reached her, and swept her into his arms, kissing her as if he'd not seen her in weeks.

Weak kneed and trembling, he finally let her feet touch the floor, only then becoming aware of the applause and laughter behind them.

"I missed her," he offered unrepentantly as he wrapped his arm around her waist and turned to smile at their guests.

Parker simply smiled, happier than she'd ever been.

And the best was yet to come.

Smiling she let him lead her into the crowd of friends and family, knowing they were both finally home, with their families, with each other, where they'd always belonged.