Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



The Gift
part II

by Nicolette





Miss Parker stood in the small bathroom located off of her office. After she had unsuccessfully tried to remove the rest of the food from her suit, she finally gave in and changed. Critically she eyed the reflection in the mirror, the dark blue short-sleev silk blouse along with the matching blazer set off her eyes making them a deeper shade of blue. With a smile of satifaction, she returned to her office.

The file was sitting in the middle of her desk and caught her attention as soon as she entered the room. Good old Broots, he must have come in while she was changing, so he would have heard her cursing. The image of the balding man tiptoeing to her desk, carefully placing the file on it, scurring out even faster, lifted her spirit enormously. Sometimes she wondered if he really feared that one day she would take out her gun and shoot him.

She dismissed the thought as soon as she thought it. They had been working together for seven years now, and if she could trust anyone in the Centre than Broots and Sydney, were the most logical choices, and she was sure that they trusted her as well.

With a smile on her lips, she sat down on the black leather chair, picked up the file and started to read.

It was rather on the thin side, only three pages long. The first one consisted of the boy's medical report, amazing short. Stunned, she looked at the date of birth, from the way the boy had acted earlier, she had thought that he was at least 3 ½ or 4 years old. However, according to his file, the boy wouldn't turn 3 for another 7 weeks.

There was written in the space on the certificate regarding his parents. She snarled, what would they write in?

Father: Dr. Frankenstein. Mother: Test -Tube A.

Perfect parents. Miss Parker was about to read last page when it hit her. the boy was to young to be from Donoterase. After she saw him downstairs, she had automatically presumed that he was one of the last successful experiments from there. According to his file that was an impossiblity, she knew that the Centre had closed the lab a day or two after they had removed Jay, the other Clone, to the Centre. After all Jarod and his father had been there.

She could clearly recall the few minutes she had spent with Jay before they were to transfer him to Africa. He had been exactly like she remembered. Not only did he look like Jarod, he had been equally quiet and shy like him. A docile child and she could actually see her lost friend in him. The one she had met today, was a totally different person. What a temper.

Recalling the events, she could not completely suppress a thin smile, Mutumabo had left the scene surprisingly fast after he had ordered someone to bring some food for the brat. She wondered if he had experienced a similar encounter with flying food. This thought made the child almost simpatico to her. Almost.

Miss Parker rescanned the last two pages in the file; nothing useful. They needed to find the new lab. She tried to push away the images that invaded her brain about the failures she had detected with Broots at Donoterase. Since it took just over three years to manufacture a new clone, it seemed that the rate of success had not improved any.

Impatiently, she threw the file back on the desk. She had promised Jay to take him out of the Centre and let him lead a normal life like other children. She hadn't been able to keep her promise to him, so maybe it was time with young Ryan. She needed a plan and allies, since the boy had no parents to locate and be returned to the question was to find a family willing to take the little boy.

She knew Jay still lived with the Major, she had managed to miss them on several occasions over the past several years that she tracked them. Jarod, on the other hand, was a completely different case, he still played his little mind games. He had managed to reduce her social life to occasional visits on the Blue Cove graveyard. Otherwise she spet more time on board the Centre plane than at her home.

Jarod, she sighed inwardly, as soon as he got wind that there was a second clone, he would come and play his version of Robin Hood.

*****

Ryan sat at the table staring stubbornly down at the floor. This was a completely new experience for him. As far as he could remember, everybody would do just what he wanted, in order to make him work, or stop crying.

A strange man had visited him, but only briefly, but he was long gone. After some time past, the same sweeper that had gotten him the food, returned to cleaned up the mess. He had asked when he was allowed to go back to his room and when he would get something better to eat.

The tall man simply shook his head.

"Sorry, young man," he replied "you threw your dinner at the wrong person. Miss Parker gave orders, nothing more for you, today. She said as long as you can throw your food, you must not be really hungry." Than he had flashed Ryan a rueful smile.

The sweeper had really felt sorry for the little boy, granted he was new here and looked lost, but he had gotten himself into major trouble. He managed to mess with the ice queen in record time.

All to soon the sweeper had left him as well. The room was almost dark, the only really light spot was the plastic bubble in the middle of the room. He was really scared, now. Everything was so big and so dark here, that his imagination started to play tricks on him.

The shadows started to move, long dark fingers stretching out to grab him. He felt like crying, but he knew there where several surveillance cameras around that would record every move. He wouldn't give her the satisfaction of knowing that she won.

He had not meant to upset her. All he wanted was her to pay attention to him, after all he had never seen anyone so pretty. Yet, she had tricked him into eating, and that upset him, nobody had ever done that to him. He had regretted his action, the moment he saw the icy glare in her eyes. She would propably hated him now. The way the sweeper and Sydney referred to her, indicated that she was high up in the hierarchy, so she would have no reason to come back down here to see him. He wanted that, she intrigued him.

For the first time in his life, he felt so lonely. A distant thud that rolled like thunder in hi ears made him jump. He forgot all about what he had sworn to himself. Not letting them see him cry.

Ryan run over to the bubble, jumped in, closed the lid, then curled up in a tight little ball and started to cry, silently.

****

"Uh, Sydney, " Broots stared at the video screen, "I know Miss Parker was really angry about the incident with Ryan and the bean sprouts, but I'm sure she would not want this."

Broots pointed sadly to the monitor where he and Sydney were observing the little boy.

Sydney was surprised at how long the boy had managed to sit at the table, unmoved by the events of the day. For a child of his age he was pretty tough, but no matter how smart he was, he was still only a small child. To see him in the bubble crying, made his heart ache.

"Please, Sydney, " Broots spoke, again "No matter what Miss Parker ordered, you are in charge of him, go and ask her to take a look at the monitor. I'm sure she doesn't want Ryan to suffer so much. "

Everytime his daughter spent time with his boss, he had to hear for weeks on end, on how cool she was, from her enthusiasm, she knew that Miss Parker didn't hate children. On the contrary, she was pretty good with kids, when she wanted to be. It was a side reserved for a select few.

Sydney rose from his chair "You're right, Broots. I'll go get her, she needs to see this with her own eyes" Sydney stated and left the room.