Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See part 1

07/26/03

-

The Last Notebook

Notebook Part 3

By Phenyx
-

Life is good.

I didn't write in my journal at all yesterday. I was too busy.

My flight landed at the airport and I spent the better part of the morning trying to locate the real estate agent about the condo. I managed to get an appointment to see the place and by mid-afternoon, we were haggling over the price.

I couldn't have cared less really, but I went along with the game for appearances sake. By evening, the keys were mine. I promptly caught a cab into town and did some shopping. I needed linens and towels and such. I stocked the refrigerator really well.

It made for a full day. But I paid for it dearly during the night. I had another of those horrible headaches. This time, the flashing lights were colored, as though they came from the top of an emergency vehicle. A high pitched sound whined in my ears like a siren to make the police car image even more complete.

It hurt more than anything I've ever experienced before in my life - and that says quite a bit. I know a great deal about pain. There was nothing I could do but curl up in a ball and wait it out.

Today I am going to take it easy.

I have a deck chair propped on my section of the beach. From here, I watched the sun rise up out of the ocean. Absolutely magnificent. Golden sparkles skittered across the cresting waves for as far as the eye could see. Pink, mauve and orange light shifted across the sky in a beautiful kaleidoscope of colors.

The plan is to sit here until the stars come out tonight. Tomorrow I'll find a doctor and get something for the headaches. But for today I will just sit here and watch the world go by. I have my journal and a cooler full of icy, imported dark beer. The boy next door, a fourteen year old visiting his father for the summer, has agreed to go to the boardwalk for me and bring back whatever tasty treats strike his fancy. I gave him fifty dollars to buy us food and promised him another fifty for himself if I approve of his selections.

The sand feels nice and warm as I bury my toes. The beer is good, nice and cold. There are children playing in the surf and two pretty college-aged girls in delightful swim suits have strolled passed more than once. I noticed them. They noticed me. We all admired the view.

Yes. Life is good.

If the kid brings back cotton candy, it'll be like heaven.

--

Things I'll miss:

Sunshine, The smell of rain, Pez, The sound of thunder just before a storm, The laughter of children, Ice cream, Chocolate sprinkles, Garlic bread, Kisses, Music, Piloting airplanes, Hot showers, Twinkies, Cartoons, Books, Late night phone calls, Dr Pepper, Her voice, Warm towels fresh from the dryer, Cold pizza, Buttered popcorn, Watermelon, Sydney, Stars, Crickets, Flirting, Christmas, Red-hot chili, Fast cars, Perfume, Friends, Hiking, Motorcycles, Sex, The ocean, Swimming, Games, Drawing, Laughing, Fruitcake, Insta-cheese, Fresh apples, Warm bread, Snow, Marshmallows, Fireworks, Parades, Art galleries, Toy stores, My family.

--

It is beginning to get dark. The stars will come out soon. Cody, my new errand boy, has been called home to supper. The college girls, Mandy and Karen, have gone to change for a party. The four of us spent the day swimming and sun bathing, eating and drinking. The girls are on summer break. In the fall they'll go back to New York to start their senior year of college. They invited me to join them at the party but I declined.

I suppose that I could have had one of them stay the night if I had wanted. Hell, if I'd tried I might have been able to convince them both. But to be honest, sex with a stranger just isn't on my agenda of things to do before I die. - Been there, done that.

Thinking about it now, I guess I've never had sex with someone who wasn't a stranger. None of the women I've been with ever really knew who I was. Nia was the only lover I ever told about The Centre. But we were only together for a few days. Can two people really know each other in so short a time?

I don't think so.

There is only one woman who ever really knew me. Sex with her would probably be a lot like riding the bulls in a rodeo - dangerous and life threatening but one hell of a rush. I wonder what she would say if I told her that I have dreamed about her. She's is a beautiful woman after all, with great legs. Of course, hot dreams of her always turn into nightmares. Smooth flesh and cold steel intermingle, the aroma of her perfume entwines with the tangy stench of blood.

Now there's a bit of Freudian dream imagery that will send Sydney into fits of psychiatric rapture. When he reads this he'll highlight the entire paragraph and analyze every aspect for at least a month.

I'm assuming that he will read these entries one day.

I haven't decided what to do about my Centre associates yet.

I could cook up a few scenarios, leave a clue here or there, make them think I'm in various places around the country. It wouldn't be difficult. A credit card and a few emails set on delayed send would be all I need. Once I've left this world, my grave is less likely to be ransacked if no one at The Centre knows about it.

I need to give it some more thought.

It's getting very dark now. The colorful arcade lights of the boardwalk glow from the pier. A full moon has risen, giving me barely enough light to see the page. But I don't want to run the risk of straining my eyes too much. I wouldn't want to trigger another episode.

It's time to call it a night. A hot shower to wash off the salt and sand, followed by a pint of maple fudge ice cream is just what the doctor ordered.