Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.



He Runs, She Chases
part 7
By Schmidt



January 20th 2002, 8:05 a.m.
Mr. Raines’ office
The Centre Blue Cove, Delaware


When Mr. Raines came into his office, he moved in only a week ago, his new-found son Lyle was already waiting for him to come. Lyle was looking out of the huge window behind the desk, rubbing the place his thumb should be.
After a short while of watching his son, Raines asked:

“Already here, Son?”

“Yes, I’ve been waiting for you.”

“Well, what gives me the honour?”

“Oh, I only wanted to hear what your meeting with Dear Sis was like. But I see, you’re still alive, Dad.”

“Yes, I am, but your sister can be very furious, right?”

“But she didn’t suspect anything, did she?“ Lyle finally turned to face his father.

“No, she didn’t. But she was very close. I fear that she’ll figure it out soon, when we don’t do anything to stop her. Now, I’m expecting a suggestion from you, Lyle.”

“We could bring her to the Renewal Wing and…”

“No. Once I tried it with Catherine, the brainwash didn’t work. Parker is too much like your mother. After a short while she’d remember everything, she knew about the…thing…before.”

“Well, what’s your suggestion then, Dad?”

“I think we should give her the proof, that it WAS love between Catherine and me.”

“And how…?”

“I’ve got something in mind. And I need your help.”

“Sure…”

“Listen, Son, we both know, that you are the heir of the Parker legacy. But she could be dangerous, when she ever finds out all the things we know, about The Centre or about our family…she could ruin everything. It’s like I said she’s too much like Catherine for her or our own good.”


January 20th2002, 9:30 a.m.
Oakew Lodge


After a long night of driving, Jarod finally arrived at the Oakew Lodge. The last time he had seen it was three years or so ago. At that time he had been hiding of The Centre, together with Angelo, a little child, Raines wanted to exploit like he’d done with Jarod and with Miss Parker.

Jarod hoped Louis would still own this place. After he’d gotten off his car, he went to the front door to ring. About two seconds after he had rung, Louis came out and said hallo to him:

“Good God, Jarod? I didn’t think I’d ever see ya’ again.”

“Hi, Louis. How’re you?”

“Fine, thanks. But where’s that gorgeous girlfriend of yours?”

“She isn’t my girlfriend she’s…” For the second time in two days he had to answer the question what Miss Parker was to him. He really didn’t know.

Some decades ago he would have said that she was his best friend and the girl he dearly loved. About four years ago he would‘ve said that Miss Parker was his worst enemy, the woman who made his life to a living hell, the person he hated, but that had never been so, even he was too proud to admit it. Almost a year ago he probably would have said that Miss Parker was a person he wanted to help, even she had still chased him through the whole country then. But now? What was she to him now? A short time after they had almost kissed on that island?

As he had phoned her, immediately when she was back at The Centre, she had told him very clearly, he should keep playing their funny little game, called ‘You Run, I Chase’. After then, however, at the phone both of them talked as if nothing had happened. Neither of them lost a single word about it He thought that he should talk to her anytime to make sure what his feelings for her really were. Hatred, friendship or love.

For now, however, he had to keep searching for clues on his family so he answered what he always did on that question:

“Well, it’s complicated between the two of us.”

“Uh, I see.”, he answered with a boyish grin on his face, “But why do you visit me so unexpected. I can hardly imagine you missed me.”

“No, to be honest, not. I come again because of my parents.”

“Uh, didn’t you still found them?”

“No, but with your help I could change that.”