Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

The disclaimer is the same: don't own them just like to play with them. Contact to archive. Shannon



Recovery
' Battle Lines '
by Shannon










Part VII

The guests of the Manchester Woods Country club filled the grand ballroom like royalty gathering for a lavish wedding. Black-tuxedo clad servers swept the elegantly costumed crowd, offering trays of crystal flutes filled with expensive champange, or butterfly shrimp in garlic sauce, or fried conch in black cherry glaze. The flames on the white tapers in the many silver candelabras flickered orange-red, casting unearthly shadows off glass windows and walls, while strains of "CHE GELIDA MANINA" from Puccini's opera La Boheme was played beautifully by the orchestra.

Parker and Jarod gracefullly descended the red-carpeted staircase to be greeted by Reginald, dressed as an english lord. He was accompanied by an older ash-blonde woman dressed as a southern belle.

"Jarod. Faith, my dear! Don't you look ravishing. Absolutely breathtaking, my dear," Reginald gushed.

"Thank you, Reggie," Parker smiled, coyly.

"Dr. Brazelton, its wonderful to see you again," the southern belle drawled, extending her hand to him,"This must be your lovely wife?. Reggie has done nothing but lavish high praise about you, my dear. I'm Sloane Montgomery, MD."

"Another collegue of my husband's. Pediatrics?" Parker inquired, taking hold of the hand that she offered to her as well.

"OB and GYN, so when you decide to add to that growing family, you look no farther. You hear?" the woman smiled, her hazel eyes twinkling.

Parker turned her head to cast a sideways glance at Jarod and tightened her grip on his hand, pressing her well manicured nails into his palm. She smiled,slightly, as he grimaced at the pain. He was beginning to think she was more trouble than this pretend. Perhaps he would work alone from now on, that is if Parker didn't kill him first, instead of returning him to the Centre. Something she still had not agreed to do, yet.

"When I decide to add to my delightful little family, you will be the first one I come to , but right now my hands are full with the two I have."

"Two?" Reggie quiered, a puzzled look on his face.

"Of course, Reggie. Jarod here is a handful. I never know what he has in store for me. I constantly have to chase him down, it can be totally exhausting," Parker quipped.

"But you love to chase me around, don't you honey?" Jarod wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer, before planting a delicate kiss on her lips. Parker felt her cheeks redden at the contact of his lips on hers. That was not part of the program and she would make that perfectly clear later.

"Oh my! Young love. To bring a blush to your wife's cheeks, how sweet," Sloane Montgomery said," Please excuse me, but I must mingle. As head chair of this fundraiser, it my duty to raise the funds. It's nasty work but someone has too?"

"Sloane, before you leave to pick the pockets of these unsuspecting people, just how close are we to the goal?" Jarod inquired.

"That my dear young man, is my little secret that shall be revealed just before dinner. Let me just say that a guardian angel has blessed us. If all goes well, we may break ground in the spring. Sister Joslyn claims that we received a generous donation this afternoon put we have to concede to a few requests. Just waiting to hear from Samantha Ravington. Unfortunately, she was delayed but her father-in-law arrived with apologies. Now I must mingle. See you both at dinner. Come Reggie."

"Interesting couple," Parker muttered.

"Couple, that's funny. Don't let Sloane hear you say that. She'll eat you alive. She detests the little worm but he is co-chair for this masqurade."

"So who is Samantha Ravington and Sister Joslyn?"

"Mrs. Ravington is the hospital's legal counsel and Sister Joslyn is the chairman of the board. Why, there she is now. Come, you really should met her. She is a remarkable woman. She use to work with Father More." Jarod said quietly, as he watched Parker turn to look him in the face, her blue eyes wide.

"Did she know . . . .?"

"Your mother, maybe. Ask her?"

"Does she know about the babies?"

"No and I don't want to tell her just yet. It's to dangerous."




PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK!!!! Giglbarbe@aol.com