Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

One Good Turn Part 8


Partnership and Fury



By Phenyx



"Why don't the ice cream vendors sell their wares at night?" Jarod asked melodramatically. "I'm starving." He sighed heavily and shook his head. Leaning casually against a large tree, Jarod's dark clothes helped to blend him in seamlessly among the shadows.


It was well after midnight. The swings and slides of the nearby playground equipment had been abandoned to the night many hours ago. The soccer fields and sandboxes seemed ominous in a way. As if when deprived of the laughter of children, joy had fled this place, leaving only blackness and sorrow in its wake.


Jarod stood shrouded in that blackness, waiting. He was waiting for evil and the air seemed to quiver with the knowledge that the devil himself was coming.


"How can you think about your stomach at a time like this?" A disembodied voice whispered into Jarod's ear.


"I can think about ice cream," Jarod said to the empty air around him. "Or, I can think about how I am about to get my head blown off." He paused. "I prefer thinking about the ice cream."


"If you have doubts about this Jarod, we should go. Now." Parker's voice was clipped and brittle with tension.


"Are you ready?" Jarod asked in a soothing voice, trying to ease Parker's uneasiness.


"As ready as I'll ever be." Parker said.


Jarod put one finger to his ear, adjusting the radio receiver hidden there. "Are you sure you can do this?"


"Just stick to the plan Wonder-boy. I'll hold up my end." Parker growled. "Where are they?" She added in exasperation a moment later.


Jarod flashed a crooked grin toward the nearby hill where he knew Parker was hiding. "Patience, Miss Parker. Patience." He understood her anxiety. Jarod was just as nervous as Parker, but he hid it well. There was power in fearlessness and he would need that power in the next few minutes.


In the past twenty-four hours, their little band of misfits had begun a covert operation designed to weaken the enemy. Here, in this empty park, they would commence with a full frontal assault. It was time to make their declaration of war.


"Car." Parker hissed. "Coming from the south."


With a smooth motion, Jarod stepped back and completely vanished in to the shadows.


Sam eased the limousine to a stop near the playground as instructed. Hurrying out of the car, he was just in time to hold the rear door open as Mr. Lyle and Mr. Raines stepped onto the pavement. Willie and another sweeper exited the car on the opposite side.


'To hell with them,' Sam thought. 'They can hold their own damned door.'


Sam looked about warily. No one had told him what had brought the group to a deserted park in the middle of the night. And Sam hadn't asked. Sweepers who asked too many questions tended to not be sweepers for very long. They usually didn't remain breathing for long either.


Sam half expected this little midnight drive to finally be his personal ticket to the missing persons file. Miss Parker's disappearance just over a month ago had sent The Centre into a tailspin of accusations and recriminations. She had simply walked away, taking most of her team with her. Among those who knew the facts, there was a great deal of debate as to whether Miss Parker had stolen the missing pretenders or the two of them, Jarod and Angelo, had helped each other escape in a separate scenario.


As one of Miss Parker's frequent employees, Sam had been thoroughly questioned. He'd been dragged in front of a T-board and grilled for hours. He assumed that his days at The Centre were numbered at this point. He figured that they were going to pop him here in the park. That would explain the presence of Willie and his friend. Sam had seen the other fellow around but hadn't bothered to remember his name.


Sam stood obediently at Mr. Lyle's side. If this corpse-fucking madman was going to murder him tonight, then so be it. But Sam wouldn't give the lunatic the satisfaction of showing any fear. Sam was one of The Centre's best, and he knew it. That was why Miss Parker chose him.


Nearly twenty years had passed since Mr. Parker had pulled Sam from juvenile hall. Plucked from a cell riot in the midst of a knife fight with a rival gang, Sam had been prepared to kill or be killed that day. Sam had stayed in that same sense of readiness ever since. He wasn't afraid.


"Good evening, gentlemen." A deep voice purred from the darkness.


Sam pulled his gun from his holster and pointed it toward the shadows as did the other two sweepers. Mr. Lyle and Mr. Raines both turned with expectant looks on their faces.


Jarod seemed to appear from nothingness. He had a 9mm in one hand, pointed at Mr. Lyle. The lazy grin on the pretender's face made Sam nervous.


"Put that gun away, Jarod." Mr. Raines hissed. "We all know that you won't use it."


Mr. Lyle shook his head. "You're not going to shoot anyone, Jarod." Lyle grinned. "You haven't got the heart for it. You're too soft." He added wickedly.


"You're probably right." Jarod said with a shrug. Much to the surprise of his audience, Jarod calmly tucked the gun into the waistband of his pants.


Sam's sense of caution multiplied dramatically. The sneaky little lab experiment was up to something. Sam just knew it. As the cocky grin on Jarod's face grew, Sam became certain that serious trouble was brewing.


"But," Jarod said, whispering conspiratorially. "She doesn't have that problem." Jarod smiled beautifully. "Do you have any idea how badly she wants to put a bullet between your eyes, Lyle?"


Sam saw the red dot on Lyle's forehead before any of the others noticed it. Sam's admiration for his former employer grew as he realized that Miss Parker had a laser guided scope rifle trained directly on Mr. Lyle.


"You're bluffing." Mr. Raines wheezed.


Jarod gave a little shrug. "You were right, Miss P." He said. Jarod was obviously wired with Miss Parker listening in on the other end. "We need to show our guests that we mean business. Nothing serious, just get their attention."


The red dot moved swiftly and Sam tried to follow its motion but a heartbeat later, there was a hiss and a sharp poof of sound like a fist hitting a pillow. Sam dropped his gun as a burning shaft of pain sliced through his upper arm. The sound came twice more in rapid succession as Willie and the other sweeper cried out and fell to the ground.


Sam swiftly checked the damage. The bullet had gone through the fleshy part of his arm with no real permanent damage. The wound burned like hell but a tight bandage was all he would need to treat it. Glancing toward the other two sweepers, Sam felt a sense of pride as he realized that Miss Parker had been generous to him. She had known that Sam was there and she had shown him preferential treatment.


Where Sam's wound was little more than an annoyance, the other two men were rolling painfully in the grass. Willie was clutching his thigh where blood flowed freely from an injury located terribly close to the man's family jewels. The third, nameless sweeper stared down at his shattered kneecap in petrified shock.


Mr. Lyle looked down at the injured men contemptuously before he realized that the red dot had relocated to a spot on his lapel just over his heart.


Sam didn't try to retrieve his gun from the ground at his feet. He held his torn arm close to his side and waited for Jarod's next move.


Jarod casually strolled around the group and sat on the hood of the limousine. Swinging one leg lackadaisically, the pretender looked at the other men and raised his eyebrows. "Any questions class?"


"What do you want, Jarod?" Mr. Raines growled.


"Oh, nothing." Jarod said. "Nothing at all." The delightful grin reappeared on the pretender's face. "This is an informative gathering, so to speak. We have decided to make some new rules."


"What kind of rules?" Mr. Lyle asked.


"Rules for this little game we've been playing." Jarod said, tilting his head curiously. "You see," He continued. "I'm afraid that Miss Parker doesn't like being hunted. Well, you know how she can be." Jarod said with a shrug. "So from now on, there will be no more pursuits. No more sweepers chasing us across the country, no more photos of me out on the web. In essence, the party is over. I'm taking the game ball and I'm going home."


Mr. Lyle scoffed. "What makes you think we would agree to any of this?"


Jarod's grin sent wary shivers down Sam's spine.


"I think you will agree that it is time for us to end our acquaintance." Jarod purred. "As a matter of fact, I believe that in the next two or three months, you'll be willing to pay me large sums of money to go away."


Mr. Lyle and Mr. Raines glanced at each other. Jarod was threatening them and they were only just now beginning to realize it.


"You people taught me to be anything I want to be." Jarod said in a low, dangerous voice. "Now I've decided that I want to be your worst nightmare."


"You can't defeat The Centre." Mr. Raines gasped.


"Watch me." Jarod smiled. Glancing at his watch, Jarod pushed away from the car he was leaning on. "Our time is nearly up. I just need to make you aware that the uncomfortable conference call you will be having in the morning is just a small demonstration of what is to come."


Mr. Lyle scoffed. "There is no such call scheduled for tomorrow."


Jarod winked knowingly at the other man. "I suggest you arrive at work early." Jarod turned and strolled toward the shadows.


Once Jarod turned his back, Mr. Lyle moved to grab him. The soft hissing sound came immediately and a chunk of grass and soil jumped at Mr. Lyle's feet. The entire group cast their gaze toward the nearby hill, looking for the origin of the gunshots. When they looked back again, Jarod had disappeared.


"Damn." Mr. Raines whispered.


"Oh, Lyle." Jarod's amused voice called to them through the darkness. "Good luck with that IRS audit next week."


The look of shock on Mr. Lyle's face blended so beautifully with helpless rage that Sam nearly laughed out loud. With effort, Sam was able to keep a straight face. Moving cautiously, so as not to bring too much attention to him self, Sam picked up his gun and returned it to the holster. He helped the wounded men into the car and waited expectantly for Mr. Raines and Mr. Lyle.


Once everyone had piled into the limo, Sam put the car in gear and maneuvered the vehicle out of the park. He had a bullet hole in his arm and blood was ruining his suit. He'd been shot but Sam was still alive. That was a hell of a lot more than he had expected from this evening.


Not only that, but Sam had also gained a new respect for the courage of the nut case he'd been chasing for the past six years.


At that moment, the nut case in question was riding shotgun in a silver jaguar as it sped down the deserted highway. Eyes bright with excitement, Jarod grinned delightedly and grabbed the dashboard as the car screamed around a curve.


Jarod glanced toward the driver's seat. Parker had the wheel clasp firmly in both hands as she expertly operated the powerful vehicle. She wore a grim look on her face and checked the rearview mirror repeatedly for signs of pursuit.


Jarod couldn't stop smiling. Everything had gone exactly as planned. Now that the danger had passed, Jarod felt an adrenaline rush similar to the feeling of parachute jumping. With Parker driving like a demon through the night, Jarod felt a surge of triumph so strong he felt like he could fly if he tried.


The car slowed imperceptibly as Parker shot a look at Jarod out of the corner of her eye.


"Do you realize that you are grinning like an idiot?" She growled at him.


Jarod bubbled with laughter. "I can't help it." He said. "That felt great."


Parker sighed and Jarod's elation diminished a few notches. Parker wasn't as thrilled with the evening's events. Jarod knew it was difficult to shoot at another human being. He could count on one hand the number of times he'd been forced to do it. Jarod hadn't wanted Parker to be the shooter tonight. He knew that this would bother Parker and he had tried to protect her from it.


But the situation had demanded strong measures. Lyle and Raines only understood violence. When Jarod had originally simmed these events, he had reversed the roles that he and Parker played in the scenario. However, when he had shared the plan with Parker and the others, they had argued this point.


Parker was undoubtedly the better shot they had claimed. And ultimately it would be more difficult to convince The Centre henchmen that their lives were at stake if it was Jarod behind the trigger. To Lyle and Raines, Jarod would always be the experimental lab-rat that they could control. Parker on the other hand, had been and always would be a dangerous rival.


In the end, Jarod had been out voted. The group had decided that Parker should be the one to handle the rifle and Jarod would do the talking. The pretender had been rather annoyed. He'd never had his plans altered in such a fashion. In the past, Jarod's simulations had been led, tested and completed by Jarod alone. He was not used to collaboration.


Jarod had exhibited his distress by pouting for the better part of an afternoon. But Parker had ignored his sulking while Sydney and Broots both wisely chose to stay on neutral ground. The other members of their little group had quickly learned to stay out of middle of any disagreement between Jarod and Miss Parker.


The troubling fact was, as their time together wore on, Parker and Jarod tended to argue more frequently. There were times when the two of them seemed so in tune with each other that words between them were unnecessary. But at other times, they railed at one another like bitter enemies.


Jarod had quickly learned that their little clan was devoutly loyal to Miss Parker. Each person in the group would support the pretender's endeavors, but aside from Sydney on occasion, no one would oppose Parker's wishes. Jarod retaliated at such times by becoming withdrawn and sullen. His reaction was childish, Jarod knew. He was just having a little trouble adjusting to the fact that his thoughts and needs were not always going to be the same as the rest of the group. Jarod had spent the last thirty years being the focal point of a lot of people's lives. It had resulted in a slightly self-centered view of the world. Changing wasn't going to be easy.


To make matters worse, Parker would gloat whenever she won an argument. And it irritated Jarod immensely. Jarod dealt with this annoyance by needling Parker at every opportunity. Their relationship had quickly degenerated into a ridiculous battle of wills over trivial things.


Jarod realized that they were making the other members of their group uncomfortable with the situation. Sydney in particular tended to get caught in the middle of the battle. Jarod felt badly about it and tried not to involve Sydney, but like children fighting for the favor of a parent, Jarod and Parker seemed to constantly struggle for Sydney's approval.


Jarod abruptly noticed a sign at the edge of the highway and said, "There's a Denny's at the next exit."


"So?" Parker asked coolly.


"They're open twenty-four hours a day." Jarod responded. "I think they have ice-cream on the dessert menu."


"We are not stopping." Parker snarled.


The last of Jarod's good mood vanished. For the next week, he and Parker would be forced to work together with no one around to run interference between them. The next few days would be fraught with danger. The others were hiding out in a safe place while Jarod and Parker were taking all the risks. It had been decided that the two of them had a better chance of success and would make a more intimidating impression than any of the others.


Jarod wasn't going to let Parker reign over him for the rest of this week. He was risking his life for her. The least she could do is show him a little kindness.


"I am hungry." Jarod said slowly and firmly as though he was talking to a small child.


"You are always hungry, Jarod." Parker sighed. "We have to be in Washington in two hours. Do you want to miss our flight?"


"We won't miss it." Jarod groused. "Besides, we can always catch another flight."


"No." Parker clipped.


Jarod sighed. "Why don't you let me drive for a while? You could get some rest."


"Nice try, Franken-rat." Parker said wryly. "Forget it."


Jarod made a sound somewhere between a sigh and a growl. He crossed his arms over his chest and hunched down in his seat.


"Oh, act your age." Parker hissed icily. "You're sulking like child."


Jarod turned and silently studied Parker's profile for several long minutes. After a long pause, he tilted his head to one side and said softly, "This isn't going to work, is it?"


"What?" Parker asked anxiously. "The plan? It's working fine so far."


Jarod shook his head. "No, no. I think that will all go exactly as we figured it would." Jarod turned and stared out the window to watch the blackness zoom by. "I mean this." His hand fluttered meaningfully between the two of them. "This thing we have going between us just isn't going to work."


Parker was silent for a long time. "You are going to leave." She finally said quietly. "When this is all over, you will leave."


"Do you want me to?" Jarod asked bluntly.


Parker shrugged. "That's entirely up to you."


"Don't pull that crap with me, Parker." Jarod said with a caustic laugh. "I know you better than anyone else. I know how frightened you are."


"Frightened?" Parker snarled cruelly. "Of a guinea pig like you? Not hardly."


"You're scared to death." Jarod said gently. "Because I've gotten passed those walls you built so carefully around your heart. For so very long you hid behind those walls, all alone, while the rest of the world was locked out on the other side. But I'm not locked out anymore, am I Parker?"


Jarod tilted his head and looked at her inquisitively, as though he could see right through her. A sad smile curled the corners of his mouth.


"You turn around and there I am, so close, so very close." Jarod's voice dropped to a low whisper. Reaching out, he tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear. She flinched away from him. Jarod's grin grew. His words had hit their mark. He went on. "It startles you to find me so near. In response, you slam that emotional door in my face again and again in the hopes that one day I'll simply go away."


Jarod leaned toward her within the confines of the car. She couldn't step away from him. There was nowhere to go. Parker's body was rigid with tension. Jarod had the upper hand this time and he knew it. Whispering erotically into her ear Jarod purred. "But I won't go away Parker. There can be thousands of miles of distance between us and I will still be closer to you than anyone else will ever be. You need me."


Parker took one hand from the steering wheel. Pressing against Jarod's chest she shoved him back into his seat. Glancing over at him, Parker could see the devilish, triumphant gleam in his eyes. "Bastard." She whispered, struggling to keep her tears at bay.


Parker knew he was right. She wasn't sure which was worse, the fear that Jarod would one day leave or the terrifying knowledge that he couldn't.


Parker lashed out in a defensive reaction. "Who really needs whom in this strange duo?" She ground out between clenched teeth. "Allow me to psychoanalyze you for a moment, why don't you?"


Jarod's smile slid away and he glanced at Parker warily. He wasn't sure he wanted to hear this. But Jarod had started the conversation. He had no choice but to see it through.


"You are such a genius." Parker said angrily. "All your life people have told you how brilliant you are. Deep down, you think that your only value to the world is in what your mind can do."


Jarod blinked at Parker cautiously as her tirade spun on.


"When it comes to outsmarting the rest of us you are so confident, so self- assured. But in everything else you're timid and cautious. After all, who could love a freak like this?" She snarled rudely. "That's why you want to find your mother so desperately." Parker hissed. "Like that old saying: 'He's a child only a mother could love.' You think you're unworthy of anyone else."


Parker glanced away from the road long enough to flash a tear-filled glare in Jarod's direction. The words came tumbling out of her mouth with no thought. She couldn't stop them. "All the horrible things you thought up, all those people who died. You honestly believe you need to pay penance for what was done to you. That's why you've never gone after The Centre before now. Part of you believes you deserved what they did to you."


Jarod waited quietly for Parker to catch her breath after her outburst. "Are you finished?" he said coldly.


Parker's silence hung like thick fog in the car.


"We have a real talent for hurting each other, don't we?" Jarod asked gently.


Parker stared intently at the road ahead.


"Why do we do that?" Jarod asked. "There has been so much pain in our lives. Such loneliness. There is not another person in the world who understands my sorrow like you do." Wide brown eyes stared sadly at Parker in the dim light. "Why do we push each other away so fiercely?"


Jarod saw the single tear that escaped and rolled down Parker's cheek. But she didn't answer.


The rest of their trip to D.C. was made in silence.


-


"Would you like another blanket, Sir?" the pretty blonde flight attendant asked.


Jarod smiled at the girl. "No, we're fine. Thank you."


Congratulating himself on springing the extra cash for first class seats, Jarod stretched out as well as he could and snuggled down to get some sleep. Parker was curled in a warm ball at his side, having fallen asleep almost as soon as the plane had left the ground. She had a blanket tucked around her and her head pillowed against Jarod's shoulder. Jarod carefully pulled one corner of the shared blanket across his body. Not that he was cold. He was simply enjoying the sensation of being close to Parker in this relaxed and unguarded way.


Though the drive in had been tense and uncomfortable, once they had reached the airport, they had fallen into their cover roles with the ease of a long time partnership. Posing as a married couple headed to a missionary school in Africa, the argument in the car had seemed to vanish as Parker smiled and chatted amiably with other travelers waiting with them in the queue at the check in desk.


They had arrived with plenty of time to get through security before their flight. Jarod had finally found an open snack stand and had gotten his ice cream. Parker had rolled her eyes at him melodramatically when she'd seen him savoring his treat. They had fallen into a playful, teasing banter that Jarod thoroughly enjoyed.


"Is it good?" Parker had asked, gesturing toward the soft serve cone.


"Excellent." Jarod had hummed. "Better than sex."


Parker had grinned at him with her eyebrows raised in surprise. "If you think ice cream is better than sex, then you must be doing something wrong."


Jarod chuckled. "I've never had any complaints." He had answered laughingly.


Parker had leaned toward him conspiratorially and said, "But you haven't had too many repeat customers either."


"Hey, that's not true." Jarod had defended himself. "I had a semi-steady girl friend once."


"Once." Parker had nodded knowingly. "Not a very impressive resume, Jarod."


"I get the job done." Jarod had purred.


Dozing now on the plane, Jarod smiled again as the remembered sound of Parker's giggle wafted through his mind. Jarod hovered in that elusive place between wakefulness and sleep. He was aware of other travelers talking quietly, the flight attendants moving about and the steady rhythmic hum of the engines. But his senses focused on the soft warmth pressed against his ribs and the featherlike touch of the hair brushing against his chin. The scent of jasmine and spice wafted to his brain.


Warm, comfortable and nearly asleep, in this dreamy half conscious place, Jarod knew that he could never walk away from the incredible creature beside him. She could verbally and emotionally tear him into little pieces for the rest of eternity. Jarod would welcome it. Because for every harsh word and cruel comment they shared, there seemed to be a corresponding smile or tinkling laughter. Jarod would allow Parker to drag his body though broken glass if his reward was another moment like this one, wrapped protectively around her slim curves.


Too close to sleep to realize he was doing it, Jarod turned and brushed his lips across Parker's hair. He snuggled closer to his pretend wife and allowed himself to drift fully into unconsciousness.