Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The Characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots and The Center are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and are used without permission. If I owed them we'd still be watching new episodes.



One Good Turn Part 5


Pain



By Phenyx


The world was a black void. There was nothing in the emptiness. Nothing but sharp, agonizing slashes of pain that clawed at him whenever he approached consciousness. So he turned away from the pain. He hid from it by submersing himself in the dark. The nothingness of sleep was a welcome escape and he pursued it eagerly.


There was no passage of time in this place. He floated in the abyss and wrapped himself in the eternity of silence that he found there. His mind tried to tell him that it was peaceful in this world but he knew better. He knew that he did not hover at the edge of tranquility. Instead, he teetered along the fringes of death.


One thing kept him from rushing into the darkness and embracing its vastness. A softness caressed his lips. Round pads of gentle fingertips cool with moisture, touched droplets of water to his mouth again and again until he was forced to respond. At first, his tongue merely tasted the drops. But the sensation of moisture that his body craved was more addictive than any drug.


He lapped at the water that dribbled across his face. Reaching out sightlessly in that darkness, he pulled the fingers closer and suckled the liquid from them. Like a vampire starved for blood, he clung to the hand while his tongue laved the droplets away. When the hand abruptly vanished, yanked from his meager grip, he cried out despairingly. But a moment later, a glass was held to his lips and the hand held his head while he drank greedily.


"Slowly, slowly." He heard a soft voice whisper through the emptiness.


He gulped down the contents of the cup. When the fluid hit his stomach, that tortured organ tried to betray him and he fought a sudden urge to retch. Bright, intense flashes of pain ripped through him again and he heard the sound of his own voice as he cried out.


His mind cowered from the agony. He fled once more into the blankness.