Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Note: This story is based on the show The Pretender; I am just borrowing the characters for my story. And the reference to the political figure isn't meant to be amusing. I just didn't want to use any real names; you fill in the blank.


In Breaking News
part 4
by Nikita_Eve



******

Nikita could taste the tension, the anticipation in the air as they pulled into the abandoned lot. They exited the car in silence and entered the building. They sat at a table across from each other; each sensing the other's fear.

Nikita bit her lip and furrowed her brow. Her eyes widened, like a confused wounded animal. She leaned forward and touched his face. Running her hand down the side of it, stopping at his chest; where she felt his heartbeat. She felt his heart rate quicken at her touch. A little startled, she removed her hand. Returning it to his face for a moment more, tracing over it one more time. Then let it fall back to the table. She looked at the surface of the table, wishing she could just disappear. He stared at her as he took his hand and gently brushed it against her cheek. Tilting her head up to his eye level. He was close enough to feel her heartbeat. He brushed back an errant strand of hair and looked into her eyes; showing nothing but support and understanding. She held her concerned, almost pitiful face.

"What is it?" He asked, brushing away a tiny tear that had escaped the corner of her eye. " You can trust me, " he took her hand into his.

Her lip trembled as a few more tears escaped. Her eyes dropped back to the surface of the table. She removed her gun from the holster and emptied the clip as she sat it on the table.

"You're so real " she broke the silence.

"That's because I am real." Jarod offered an assuring grin.

"I don't want to lose you."

"I'm not going anywhere." Jarod squeezed her hand, holding it tighter.

She looked up at him doubtedly; but her eyes were showing some hope. " I don't know who to trust." Nikita's voice quavered.

"I trust you. " his deep eyes penetrated hers.

He removed his gun, took the clip out, and set it on the table next to hers. " If you wanted to hurt me, you would have by now " Jarod added.

He put his hand back in hers and waited patiently for a response. She raised her free hand and rubbed her tears away; looking into his eyes. She could see his soul, see that he was a good man. She felt shame and guilt now more than anxiety.

"They sent me to bring you back. " she mustered.

"Who?" he asked, already knowing the answer but wanting to be sure.

"The Centre." She whispered.

" You're project Scorpio?" All the pieces fell in place.

"Yes, and Ms Parker wants to help us, " she added. He recalled the email from the triumvirate to Raines, that made sense.

"Hey " He pulled her closer to him and stared into her eyes. " you had no way of knowing what they were doing ".

She pulled her hand free, retreating to her side of the table. " I've hurt innocent people. "

"And now that you are on the outside you can help innocent people. I want to show you something " Jarod reached into his briefcase and pulled out his computer.

He showed her a DSA, the one of him doing the Apollo 13 sim. " They did the same thing with me." He shut the briefcase.

"But I'm not on the outside. Since you escaped, they implemented several new features to the pretender project: a kill switch and a GPS tracking device in my skull. " she pointed to her head.

"We can get around that. We're geniuses, remember? I have something else to show you."

He printed out an article on his computer and then a picture. He handed her the article. Tears flooded her eyes as she instantly recognized the article- the tragic accidental death of her parents.

"Now look at this picture, " It was of a woman and a man.

"So?" She asked.

"This is your mom and dad, Nikita."

"Thank you." she paused, taking another look at the photo. " I didn't remember what they looked like. "

"Look at the date. "

Her eyes scanned down to the bottom- 1980. The blood drained from her face. " Are you saying they didn't die in a car crash? Are they still alive?" her eyes were wide with hope and begging for a yes. She had often fantasized about them being alive.

"I don't know. I traced back this picture, hoping to find some tie to the Centre, but I couldn't. Your parents faked their own death."

"To try to rescue me," she finished, the color returning to her face.

"Oh my god, Jarod, how can I ever repay you for this? " She took him into her arms hugged him tightly. " I was afraid you would hate me, once you knew I was connected to the Centre".

"I don't call being their prisoner having connections with them. And you won't be theirs any more. " He held her tighter.

She looked up to him, tears still flowing freely from her eyes. " What do we do now?" She asked.

"We play a little game of cat and mouse with the Centre." He said grinning.

"Cat and mouse?"

"We are the cat and they are the mouse." He explained.

"Oh " she revealed a small mischevous grin of understanding.

"Now lets get out of here. You have so much to learn, about . . . About being free! After we get that thing out of there, of course". he tapped her head.

He took her arm and led her out of the building.

******

The Centre:
Blue Cove, Delaware:



"You've located Jarod? " Raines asked Ms Parker, Broots, and Sydney.

"Yes. we'll have him back first thing tomorrow." Ms Parker assured.

"There has been a slight change of plans. " Raines grinned, leaning back in his chair." I will deliver Jarod to the Centre." He said, grinning.

"What? " Ms Parker screamed. " Listen, you pathetic little wrinkled, wheezing carcass." She leaned forward into his personal space. " We found him, we'll bring him back. 'Kay? " she said in a condescending voice, flipping her hair.

"Triumvirates order." Raines handed her the memo. " Sorry."

"Bet you are." Ms Parker snorted, trying to add as much insult to her comment as possible.

"Come in Lyle." Mr. Raines responded to the knock.

Ms Parker glared at Lyle as he entered.

"The jets ready." Lyle said to Raines. " Sis" he acknowledged her.

"I'm sorry Raines, I thought we were having an argument." Ms Parker sneered

"Argument's over!" He retorted.

" Come on, let's blow this freak show." Parker replaced her sneer with a smirk.

After they exited the room, Lyle commented. "That was too easy. Do you think she's up to something?"

"Just in case she is. I want you keeping an eye on her tomorrow."

" Got it." The thumbless man left.