Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Note: This story is based on the show The Pretender; I am just borrowing the characters for my story. And the reference to the political figure isn't meant to be amusing. I just didn't want to use any real names; you fill in the blank.


In Breaking News
part 2
by Nikita_Eve




******

Nikita sailed through everything on the FBI in a couple of hours, and rewrote Broots' program to get into any system in 30 minutes, and adapted it to break into Jarod's computer in 10 minutes. She also broke into the triumvirates email account and was monitoring all emails in the Centre. She intercepted an email from the triumvirate to Raines. She also did a discreet search (off screen) on the articles Raines had given her about the people Jarod had murdered. They were all alive and well. This infuriated her. Why had Raines lied to her- did he think she would bring him in only if he was a monster? Maybe she could get something out of Sydney.

"I'm done." she said to Sydney.

"Fascinating." Sydney said, leaning over Nikita's shoulder.

I have never worked with another pretender before now. You seem to have a more developed intuition than Jarod."

"Tell me about him." she said, testing him.

"What do you want to know? I've already told you everything I can think of ." He said shrugging.

Nikita reached over and turned the camera off. She turned her back to the surveillance camera that was in the corner, lifted up her shirt and pointed to the wire that was taped to her stomach. " We're being listened to. And we're being watched. " She mouthed, nodding in the direction of the surveillance camera. She ripped the wire off her stomach and removed her shirt and said into the bug, " sorry Raines, I'd like some privacy now." She crushed the bug under her feet and led Sydney over to the bed and threw her shirt at him. "Wait here." She teased.

She walked over to the surveillance camera and waved to it, "Bye, wheezy, see you in an hour or so." She added a little message to Lyle before unpluging it from the wall.

She did a quick scan of the room to make sure she hadn't missed any bugs, and patted Sydney down before she went back over to the bed. Sydney sat amused, and handed her back her shirt.

"Where did you learn that?" He asked, still amused.

"I saw a movie on laser disk on the plane. Ms Parker called it sex Ed 101? Whatever that means. "

"Ha, that sounds like Ms Parker ".

"I need to talk to you ," she sat down next to him, about to put her shirt back on; when Ms Parker and Broots opened the door.

"Aaah." Everyone screamed in unison. Nikita wrestled with her shirt and pulled it back on. Everyone was quiet for a second, and then all hell broke loose. Broots was the first to say something.

"Ms Parker..." Broots pointed at them with his mouth open wide, "....you were right. And look?" he said, pointing at the cameras.

"This isn't how it looks." Nikita and Sydney said.

"The video." Nikita explained. "He was just trying to see if I'm better than Jarod."

"Oh my god." Ms Parker screamed, throwing her hands up, turning her head away. "No wonder Jarod is so screwed up.

"No, that came out wrong " Sydney said.

"Nikita, I didn't want you to try what I showed you on the first guy you saw ". Ms Parker yelled.

"And what did you show her? " Broots accused with a grin, " a little manage `a Parker? ".

"Oh you are dead." She glared at Broots, " later ". "First, you two...." She said trying to calm herself and the situation down. "....what the hell is going on?"

"I was just trying to distract Raines so that I could speak privately with Sydney. He said if I wanted any, uhumhh, privacy I could unplug for a couple hours. I didn't want it to look suspicious " she said.

"Um, sweetie, do you call jumping on Sydney inconspicuous? " Ms Parker was exasperated. " but what the hell is Raines doing bugging us? ".

"I guess I'd better talk to all of you; this concerns all of you. "

"Well, what is it? " Ms Parker asked.

"I'll tell you if you tell me why the Centre really wants Jarod back ".

"You see, " Ms Parker opended her coat, revealing her gun. " I don't think you are in any position to bargain " She said pointing the gun at Nikita.

"Actually, I am " She said. "Only I know how to decrypt the email file. All his dirty little secrets die with him. And besides...." Nikita grabbed Ms Parker's gun and pointing it at her head. "Boom." She said pulling the trigger. "I removed your firing pin."

"Give me that." Ms Parker grabbed the gun from her. "And my pin." She held out her hand.

"Here." She handed it over.

"Fine."

Ms Parker said. " I'll play your little game. But if you are lying- just to mess with me" she grabbed her wrist. " I may not have authority to kill you, but I can make your stay very unpleasant."

"Okay." Nikita said printing out the email on the computer. " this is from the triumvirate to Mr. Raines" she said, handing a copy to each of them.

Ms Parker read over the file, first impatiently, then completely engrossed; her expression fell and she slumped onto the bed. " Daddy." She whispered. "Oh my god, if we bring back Jarod" she said. Blinking back tears, Parker stared at the rest of them. She let the email drop from her hand. "We will just be 'confirming suspicions of sabotage of the Jarod capture' ." she quoted the email. Everyone else sat quiet. " That son-of-a-bitch " she seperated each syllable. " Raines is going to serve up my father to the triumvirate." her expression hardened.

"And we're the appetizer." Broots added. The termination list included
them.

"Not if we get to him first." Ms Parker looked up at the rest with cruel smile. "I'll personally dismember Raines for the Centre. "

"Thank you, Nikita " Ms Parker said, wiping away her tears and gave Nikita a hug, still in a little shock from the news. Ms Parker took a deep breath. " Sydney, you tell her " Parker looked over at the older man.

" The Centre wants Jarod because he is a pretender, just like you ".

"And . . .? " Nikita probed.

" That's all " Sydney assured her.

" Nikita, have you ever wondered what the Centre does with all of that research you churn out like a little rat in a wheel?" Ms Parker asked.

"They use it to develop new drugs and make significant leaps for the good of humankind." Nikita said as if she had rehearsed it; as if she had wondered it, as if she was half asking.

"And did they tell you this before or after they locked you up and threw away the key?" Ms Parker raised her eyebrow in a doubting manner.

Nikita was silent.

"And did they tell you how you got to the Centre? Let me guess the stork brought you? " She snorted.

"My parents were killed in a car crash when I was 4 " tears came to her eyes.

"I was an only child, no other family. The Centre took me in. If it weren't for them . . . "

"So what, you think you owe them? Let me tell you something, you don't
owe anyone anything."

"Nikita." Sydney said " I talked to Jarod. He told me that he thought the Centre might be responsible for your parents death."

"What?" Nikita demanded. "Why do you believe him? Ten minutes ago you said that he was a psycho killer. How do I know whom to trust? This could be another simulation, to test my loyalty to the Centre." She looked around her for any surveillance equipment " I may not even be in Texas."

"Relax, Nikita. God, what kind of hell have they put you through? Look at me. Everything Raines told you about Jarod is a lie. He would never tell you something about your family just to torment you. He's looking for his family".

"So we can trust Jarod?" tears filled her eye, threatening to escape.

Everything she had known was a lie, her reality was slipping away from her.

"Yes, sweetie, we can." She took Nikita into her arms and held her. " I won't let Raines hurt you anymore, I promise."

Nikita was crying heavier now, but she seemed to be comforted by Ms Parker's reassurance.

"Come on, its getting late." Ms Parker said.

"Will you stay with me until I fall asleep? " Nikita asked, her eyes pleading.

"Of course." She helped Nikita into bed and tucked her in.

She motioned to Broots and Sydney to leave.

She leaned down to the younger woman's side and brushed back her hair in a maternal manner.

"We can work out a new plan tomorrow, okay?". Ms Parker gave her a gentle kiss on the forehead. She was asleep in minutes.

She quietly left the room and went over to Broots' and Sydney's room.

"Hey." they said answering the door.

"How's she doing?" Sydney asked.

"She's asleep " Ms Parker replied.

"What the hell are you doing Ms Parker? " Sydney asked in a neutral manner.

"I have no idea." She responded. ' It's what my mother would have done' she thought.

"But we better figure out a way to save our butts; maybe we give Jarod a get out of jail free card " she entertained the thought aloud.

"Are you suggesting that we help Jarod." Broots asked, lowering his voice as if someone might be listening, even he knew no one was there.

"I never thought I'd hear you trying to help Jarod." Sydney said.

"Yeah, well there need to be some changes at the Centre " Parker half glared, half smirked at the two before returning to her room.

******