Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Morgen
by J. Collins




The Centre

She watched him from behind a pillar as he walked quickly through the foyer, heading toward the elevators, tugging on his cuffs as he moved. A small smile curved her lips as she took in the midnight blue European suit, accented perfectly with a French cuffed peach shirt. The ensemble had been completed with a dark blue Italian tie, and silver cufflinks; impeccably classic, somewhat like the man who wore it. Parker rarely thought of him as the handsome man that he truly was, except upon those rare occasions when he was smartly attired.

The sultry voice from behind the pillar stopped him, “My, my, Freud, all dressed up with..... somewhere to go?”

He smiled, “As a matter of fact, yes, I do have somewhere to go, Miss Parker.”

He turned, moving off, but she fingered his sleeve, stopping him, “I’ve never seen this suit....”

An amused eyebrow arched at her, “No, you have not.”

She pulled him closer, sniffing, “New cologne.... Freud, if I didn’t know better, I’d think you had a hot date.”

“You don’t see me even having a date at all, do you Miss Parker?”

She frowned slightly, “Where are you going?”

He smiled, “To the ballet.”

The big grey eyes just looked up at him, an odd emotion swirling in them. He wasn’t sure if she was sad or slightly jealous, and the awkward silence stretched on.....

The Centre
January 3, 1971


She sat quietly in the chair inside her father’s office, as she did every day after school since her mother’s death, finishing up her homework, and reading. Her father had been in some meeting since before she had arrived,and now her homework was done, and she had finished reading her book. She looked around the office; not much in the way of entertainment. Miss Parker sighed, pulled out her notebook and pencil, and began sketching ballerinas.

She missed her lessons and her friends; but most of all, she missed going to see the ballets with her mother. Her eyes filled with tears of sadness as she sketched the ballerina figures on the paper. So engrossed was she, that she did not hear the door to the office open, and the deep voice from the threshold startled her.

“Miss Parker?”

She looked up from her drawing paper, to find Sydney peering into the room from behind the door.

“Hello, Sydney.”

“May I come in?”

The little girl shrugged, so the psychiatrist entered the room, walked over to her and peeked over her shoulder.

“Those are very nice drawings.” She eyed him suspiciously, and he continued, “Have you finished your homework?”

She sighed impatiently, “Yes.”

“Good...”

He knelt down in front of her, so that he was closer to eye level. Her sad eyes looked into his grinning ones.

“I just spoke with your father--”

The little girl’s face lit up, “--Is he coming back now?”

“Well, I’m afraid not, Miss Parker, but--”

The disappointed in her voice was unmistakable, “--Oh.”

Sydney looked down then back up at her, “He’s a little tied up today, but--”

“--When isn’t he?” Sydney didn’t have an answer, and Miss Parker continued, the ire colouring her timbre, “He didn’t even remember what today is.”

Had she been looking at the psychiatrist’s face, she would have seen the surprise there, but fortunately for Sydney, she was focused elsewhere. He recovered quickly, a tiny smile curving his lips, as an idea struck him.

“He didn’t forget Miss Parker.”

“Yes, he did, Sydney. My mommy wouldn’t have forgotten.”

He pulled out a pair of tickets from his pocket, “He didn’t forget, Miss Parker.” He handed her the tickets, adding, “He’s very sorry that he can’t go himself, but he asked me if I could stand in his stead, and I told him I would be honoured....”

Miss Parker grabbed the tickets out of his hand, reading them, “The Bolshoi on Tour? The Nutcracker! We’re going to see The Nutcracker?”

He smiled at her, “Yes. Tonight, for your birthday.”

Miss Parker’s excitement brightened her eyes, “He remembered, Sydney. And this was exactly what I wanted for my birthday!”

A slight tinge of sadness dimmed Sydney’s eyes, “Yes, he remembered.”

His smile lacked the lustre that it had contained when he had entered the room, but she was happier than he’s seen her in months, and that was what mattered.

He stood, stroking her hair, “We leave in an hour, all right?”

She looked up at him, “Are you sure Daddy can’t go?”

He tried to cover the hurt he feared would creep into his eyes, “I’m afraid that he can’t, Miss Parker, but it’s the thought that counts, isn’t it?”

She nodded, “Yes. I didn’t even think he heard me when I told him about the ballet. You were there, Sydney, do you remember?”

He tried to keep his voice even, “Yes, I remember. I’ll be back in an hour, okay?”

“Okay.” He turned toward the door, “Sydney?”

“Mmm?”

“If I forget to tell you later...thanks for going with me.”

He nodded and left the room....

The Centre
Present


Sydney looked down at the hand still resting on his arm, “Miss Parker? I do have to be going, I don’t want to be late.”

She snapped out of her reverie, and removed her hand, “Of course.” She followed his long strides to the elevator, “Syd?”

He hit the elevator button, “Hmmm?”

“I hope she appreciates it.”

A look of concern filled his eyes as he turned to face her, ”Parker?”

But she had already disappeared. He shook his head to himself as he stepped onto the elevator; whatever might be on her mind, it would have to wait. A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. This night had been a long time in coming.

#####################

Air Drome Airport
Dover, DE


As the Cessna slowly taxied to park, she felt butterflies flitting in her stomach. It was silly, she knew; she had known him for almost 30 years, and while they had been apart for 25 years of it, and she had married another man, her feelings for Sydney had never dulled. Not even a little. If there had been any doubt on her part regarding her heart, the last few times she had seen him had quelled it. Perhaps that was why she was nervous.

She hesitated before standing up, pulling out her compact once more, checking her face in the mirror. She smiled at herself; she felt like a school girl. Putting her compact away, she picked up her bag, and walked to the door of the small plane. She descended the steps and had barely set foot onto the tarmac when she saw him standing there, smiling at her, the wind blowing strands of his hair down into his eyes.

Even in a crowded venue, he would have been impossible to miss; all six foot three of him, standing perfectly straight in a beautiful suit, a large bouquet of wild flowers in his hands. Their eyes met, and his smile brightened, deepening the curvature of his lips. He closed the distance between them, and held an arm out, pulling her into a hug.

She closed her arms around him, “Oh Sydney, it’s so good to see you.”

He kissed her cheek, “And you, Michelle.” He gently pushed her away, looking her over, “You’re positively radiant.”

“Thank you.”

He took her bag from her and slung it over his shoulder, and handed her the bouquet.

“Sydney, they’re beautiful.”

“Just like you,” he kissed her forehead, and slipping an arm around her waist, he guided her through the small room serving as a terminal and out toward the parking lot.

#####################

Sheraton Hotel
Dover, DE


He paced the length of the lobby, glancing at his watch. He still had to get them to Wilmington in time for an 8pm curtain. Michelle had checked into the hotel, and was in her room freshening up, when his cell phone rang.

“This is Sydney.”

“Where did you put the expense reports for last month’s little Jarod extravaganza in Iowa?”

He was momentarily befuddled, then he recovered, “There uhm, where I always put them. Top drawer of my desk.”

“No, they’re not. I’m in your office now, and they’re not here.”

His voice belied a slight irritation, “It’s 6:30 on Friday night, Miss Parker, can’t this wait until Monday morning?”

Her timbre matched his in annoyance, “No, Sydney, it can’t.” He didn’t respond, so she pushed further, “Where are you anyway?”

A slight smile lit his lips as he realized the reason for the call, “I remember what I did with them now, they’re in the lower right hand drawer.”

Parker opened the drawer and found the documents, “Oh.”

“If that’s all then, I really must be going....”

“Syd?”

“Yes?”

“Which ballet are you seeing?”

“The new staging of Morgen.”

“NYCB on tour in Wilmington.”

“Yes, so now you know where I’m going, and you can put that little nose of yours to rest. Have a good weekend, Miss Parker.”

“Syd, you--”

She stared at the receiver of the phone which was emitting a dial tone; he had terminated the call before she finished. Her eyebrows knitted together in irritation, but she knew that what she was really feeling, was hurt. Parker hated it when Sydney was secretive, she didn’t like being out of the loop, even if it wasn’t any of her business. A small smile tugged at her mouth as she realized that on some level, she felt that Sydney was her business, and she wasn’t about to let it go so easily.

Michelle entered the lobby as he was putting away his cell phone, and the look of consternation plaguing his face was unmistakable.

“Sydney, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing, really.” He took in her beauty, and kissed her cheek, “You look gorgeous, Michelle.”

“I had to if I was going to be seen with the likes of you!”

As they left the lobby, heading toward the carpark, the look of trepidation returned to his features. Michelle stopped walking and faced him.

“Sydney, tell me what’s bothering you.”

He realized that he still couldn’t hide from her, “I’m sorry. It was Miss Parker on the phone.”

“Miss Parker? As in the little girl from the Centre?”

He started walking again, and she followed him, “Little girl, all grown up. We work together these days.”

“Is there a problem at the Centre?”

“No, not really.” Michelle frowned, so he explained further, “When I was leaving earlier, she was trying to ascertain where I was going and with whom. She wasn’t all that happy when she learned I was taking someone other than her to the ballet.” He chuckled, but the joke was lost on Michelle, “I used to take her occasionally, after her mother died. When she called, she was just pushing me to find out where I was....”

Michelle stopped and stared at him, “Sydney, is there something going on with this woman?”

“Of course not. Miss Parker is like a daughter to me, Michelle, it’s just that--”

“--She’s used to being the only woman in your life.”

“Yes.” He moved toward the car again, “It wasn’t easy for her after her mother died, and in some ways, I suppose I became a surrogate parent. Anyway, she tends to be overprotective and overly curious when it comes to me. I used to think she did it solely for the annoyance factor, but a few years ago, I realized it’s more about her fear of losing people she....cares about, which causes her to occasionally step over the line.”

“Sydney, the entire time I knew you at the Centre, I had no idea you were this close to her.”

“Well, it wasn’t something that I had intended, and frankly, I thought it best to downplay anything which the Centre could use as leverage against me. During the past six years, we’ve been working together on a project, and--”

“--And she sort of considers you her property.”

“She’ll adjust as soon as she realizes that no one is taking her place.” He opened the car door for Michelle, “You should have seen her when her father remarried....I wasn’t sure that his betrothed would make it in once piece to the wedding!”

He closed the door and Michelle knew that she was quite glad she hadn’t seen Miss Parker’s reaction to Mr. Parker’s second marriage. She only hoped that her renewed friendship with Sydney would not be grounds for similar treatment.

#####################

Route One, DE
Sydney’s Car


“I meant to tell you earlier, that the shirt looks beautiful on you, Sydney.”

A smile lit up his face, “I have to admit I was a little dubious when you sent it, but I thought I’d give it a try.”

“And what do you think?”

“That even after all of these years, you’re still better at dressing me than I am.”

Her laughter filled the car, and his heart, “I knew you would never choose it for yourself, but when I saw it, I thought of you.”

He nodded, “I’m glad you decided to come for a visit. Really glad.”

“Me too.”

A moment of awkward silence filled the air around them; neither was yet comfortable with the direction their relationship appeared to be turning, nor could either of them deny the truth of their feelings.

Michelle smiled at him, “Are you going to tell me where we’re going?”

“No.”

“Sydney....”

“It’s a surprise.”

She cocked an eyebrow in his direction, “You’re feeling rather sure of yourself, aren’t you?”

His smile widened, and his timbre was playful, “Maybe.” She laughed, and again, it warmed him, “Michelle, it really is good to see you.”

“I’ve missed you too, Sydney.”

He tentatively reached over and took her hand in his. Bringing it to his mouth, he kissed it lightly, and held it all the way to Wilmington......

#####################

The Performing Arts Center
Wilmington, DE


Michelle found herself leaning closer into him as the evening progressed. It was a very modern staging of a ballet called Morgen. The music was by Richard Strauss, sung by a soprano, accompanied by orchestra. The choreography was exceedingly romantic, and as each movement progressed, grew in its sensuous nature. She couldn’t help but envision their lost youth together, as the dancers floated across the stage, entwined in each other, yet allowing the wind to dance between them. She hadn’t permitted herself to think of him in this way since the day she had married George; and still, the feeling of him, the essence of his presence had never left her.

By the time the strains of Winterweihe began, Sydney felt the warmth of her hand resting on his thigh. He gently lay his hand on top of hers, effectively holding it there. Michelle looked up at him, and they exchanged a contented smile. She returned her attention to the stage, but he found he could no longer keep his eyes off her. The length of her neck, bared by the simple black dress she was wearing, allowed only a strand of pearls to hover there. He longed to trail his lips along the curves of her throat, and feel her in his arms.

He could taste the scent of her perfume, a mild mix of rosemary, lavender and citrus; it was what she had always worn, and it drove him quickly back to the most intimate moments of their past. He yearned to be closer to her, taking in her beauty with all of his senses. Sydney swallowed hard, realizing that he had allowed his thoughts to stray where perhaps he had no right. He exhaled a slow and silent breath of air, forcing himself to once again look toward the stage; but his thoughts stayed with the woman sitting next to him.

#####################

La Bouchée
Wilmington, DE


The little sidewalk café was filled with patrons from the ballet, as well as the local theatre. Strings of small white lights entwined through the ironwork and plants, lent a feeling of gaiety to a perfectly balmy evening. They sat at a small table outside, a martini glass filled with chocolate dipped strawberries soaked in Chambord, between them. Sydney took a sip from his espresso, watching Michelle devour a strawberry over the rim of his cup, her red lips almost paralyzing him with desire.

He set the cup down and took a slow breath, trying to maintain his outward calm. Michelle pulled part of the strawberry from her mouth, dipped it into the Chambord, reached across the table, and parted his lips with it. She pushed her fingers with the berry into his mouth, brushing the flesh of his lower lip on the way back out. His eyes closed in response to the feel of her fingers in his mouth, and when he reopened them, she was staring at him serenely.

Michelle smiled at him seductively, “Is something wrong, Sydney?”

“Uh-uh.”

After a moment, his breathing calmed and he smiled at her, but his eyes were filled with concern, “Michelle--”

She stopped him by placing two fingers across his lips, and shaking her head, knowing what he was going to say. For a moment, they stared at each other, and then Michelle removed her fingers from his mouth, and took his hand with hers.

“Leaving you was the hardest thing I ever had to do, Sydney. I want you to know that I never--” He squeezed her hand in silent support, and after a moment she was able to continue, “I never got over you.”

He put her hand in both of his and brought it to his mouth, placing a gentle kiss upon it. The candlelight from the table reflected in the deep brown eyes staring into hers, the intensity of his gaze causing her to look away; and yet he said nothing.

Michelle brought her other hand up to stroke his face, “Was it as difficult for you?”

“More than you will ever know.”

Her voice grew softer, “Is that why you never married, Sydney? Or was it because of the pretender project?”

Sydney’s eyes filled with moisture, “Not one day has gone by that I haven’t thought of you....of us, and wondered.” He looked down at the table, and amazingly, the tears did not fall as his eyes shifted back up to hers, “I never stopped loving you, Michelle; how could I be with anyone else?”

Her own guilt for marrying someone other than Sydney caught up with her, and she couldn’t meet the soft brown eyes gazing into her hazel ones, “Can you ever forgive me for hurting you?”

“There’s nothing to forgive. I know you thought you were protecting me, it’s just.....”

His voice died away, and he looked down. Michelle gently brought his chin up with her hand, so that she could look into his eyes.

“Just what? You can tell me.”

The hurt on his face was palpable, “I can’t take losing you twice.”

She stroked his face again, “Oh Sydney, I’m not going anywhere. Not this time.”

Once again, he brought her hand up to his, this time, kissing it fervently.

#####################

Route One, DE
Sydney’s Car


They rode in comfortable silence back to Dover, Michelle holding Sydney’s hand in her lap most of the way. She had always loved his hands; for their strength as much as for their gentility. She softly caressed the large hand between her smaller ones, massaging each finger carefully, then his palm, the back of it, and starting once again. A soft smile had permeated his lips; he hadn’t been as content nor as relaxed in as long as he could remember. As they neared the turn off for the Sheraton, she spoke softly to him.

“You haven’t told me anything of your garden, Sydney. You always loved to maintain it. I would think at this time of year it must be quite beautiful, and in full bloom.”

“Yes, it is. You should see all the roses, they’re quite stunning. Maybe we’ll have time tomorrow, after the museum.”

She squeezed his hand gently, “I could see it now....”

“But Michelle, it’s pitch black, you wouldn’t be--”

He stopped short as the meaning behind her statement hit him. He glanced into her eyes, and the sincerity in them reached out to a heart which had ached for her for almost thirty years. He looked back at the road, swallowing hard, a fear rising up in him.

He had to be sure, “It’s too dark to see the garden properly, there isn’t even a moon tonight....”

Her fingers began to run through his hair, “It would be beautiful at breakfast, I’m sure. Things always look different in the morning.”

As he drove past the exit for the Sheraton, he pulled the hand from behind his head and kissed first the back of it, then turned it and placed an open kiss in her palm. Any rational thoughts of trepidation were left somewhere on the highway between Dover and Big Stone Beach.

#####################

Sydney’s House
Big Stone Beach, DE


He pulled into the driveway of his house, and put the car into park. As he got out of the car and walked around the back of it to open Michelle’s door, he realized his hands were shaking. He took in a steadying breath and opened the door, taking her hand to guide her. He closed the door behind her, and led her up the walk to the front door. Michelle smiled as he fumbled slightly with his keys in the lock.

She ran a seductive hand up under his jacket, “Relax, Sydney....”

It had the opposite effect on him, and the keys fell to the ground. She stopped him from picking them up by putting her hands on his arms. Staring into his eyes, she gently brought his head down toward hers with her hands, and placed a soft, slow kiss on his parted lips. Michelle pulled away, to find him momentarily paralyzed; the longing of the past thirty years was shining in his eyes, along with the fear of being devastated again. She picked up the keys, placed them in the lock, and opened the door. Taking him by the hand, she led him into his own house, closing the front door behind them.

Michelle set his keys down on the side table, and walked over to where he was standing, silently watching her. Once again, she reached for his face, and placed a soft kiss on his lips. Pulling away, she could see that his calm had returned. It was in the way he was looking at her; or rather, straight through her. She had forgotten his ability to silently peer into her heart, and it was that quickly that the tables had turned, and it was she who was powerless to move.

Yet he made no move toward her, allowing her a moment to steady her heart, which he knew was pounding inside her chest. Michelle closed the distance between them, and slowly slid her hands up the front of his suit jacket. She caressed his face with one hand, and reached under his jacket with the other, wrapping one arm around his waist. He stood perfectly still, piercing her eyes with his, waiting for her lips to reach his, his hands remaining at his sides.

Gently she touched her lips to his, lightly at first, in short successive kisses, each one more ardent than the last. Her other hand slid under his jacket and wrapped around his waist, pulling him into her. He broke away from her mouth, his head drawing up, looking into her eyes. Then he allowed his gaze to slowly move down the curve of her neck, to her shoulders, and then to her breasts. His right hand reached up, lightly fingered her neck, then moved to her throat, and out to her shoulder, barely touching her skin. A shiver ran through her.

His left hand moved to her neck, caressed her throat and brushed out to her shoulder, which was followed by his mouth, causing Michelle’s breath to catch in her throat. As he continued to leave a trail of wet kisses on her skin, her hands instinctively moved down, running over his hips and then gently caressing his buttocks. He moaned as her hands moved in light circles, and his mouth worked its way back up to lips.

He placed his hands on her shoulders and softly rubbed his fingers along her chest, as his mouth reached for hers. His lips pressed lightly on hers at first; she had forgotten how soft they were. Then she felt his tongue gently push into her mouth, moving in and out slowly as he took more of her mouth into his. Reaching back up with her hands, she slid his jacket off of him, pulling his arms away from her for a moment to shrug his jacket to the floor.

His arms came back up and wrapped around her, crushing her into him, his tongue continuing its rhythmic thrusting in her mouth. She could feel his erection straining through the fabric of his pants, bulging against her. The moisture exuded from her, as the pressure between her legs began to build, her body responding to his. Sydney’s hands slipped under the bottom of her dress, and ran up her thighs, bunching the black garment up around her waist. His hands moved over her hips, and down her backside, taking the time to caress her well muscled bottom, before moving around to the front of her. His hand drifted down her tummy, pressing harder over her pubic bone and rubbed once across her clit.

Michelle broke from his mouth, a gasp of pleasure interrupting his kiss. He slipped his hands into the top of her pantyhose, and began to pull them down over her hips and thighs. In the heat of her desire, Michelle grabbed one of his hands, and placed it at her wet opening, causing a low grunt to emit from his throat as his hand felt the moisture without the barrier of her nylons. A moment later she felt one of his fingers gently press into her, and in response she began rubbing a hand over the bulge in his pants.

Sydney moaned as she pressed harder through the fabric with her hand, pulling his face toward hers with her other hand. Fiercely she thrust her tongue into his mouth, kissing him hard. He felt his control slip, and he quickly slid his finger out of her and with his other hand, gently restrained her from continuing to rub his swollen cock. She looked at him, a question in her eyes.

He pulled her back into him, his breath short with lust, “I’ve thought of you like this so many--”

Michelle kissed his mouth gently, stopping his words. After she felt him calm slightly, she reached up and began untying his tie. Sydney smiled down at her, and without breaking eye contact, he lifted her into his arms, and carried her toward the stairs. Michelle pulled the tie from his shirt and dropped it to the floor, before reaching to unbutton his shirt.

He started up the stairs, kissing her throat once again, and her arms wrapped themselves around his neck. Sydney stopped halfway up, to kiss her deeply, allowing his tongue to penetrate the velvety softness of her mouth. With one hand supporting her, he used the other to rip her pantyhose off the rest of the way, tossing them haphazardly on the bannister, her shoes dropping on the steps. Michelle nuzzled into his neck, and he carried her the rest of the way up the stairs.

He walked through the bedroom door, and gently lay her on the bed, crawling on top of her. He ran his right hand through her hair, taking her mouth with his in a plunging kiss, his left hand sliding along the smooth skin of her thigh, moving up under her dress, to caress her. Michelle finished unbuttoning his shirt, and pulled it from him, not bothering to remove the cufflinks. It landed somewhere off to the side of the bed, near his shoes, which he had kicked off a moment before.

It had been so long, that she had forgotten how smooth and supple his skin was, and how she enjoyed feeling it beneath her hands. While she softly caressed his back, his left hand slid under her bra, cupping her breast, his thumb softly stroking the hardened bud he found there. Michelle moaned as his mouth devoured her neck, and with a sudden pitching motion, she rolled on top of him.

Sydney’s mouth broke away from her in surprise and he looked into her face. She smiled at him, and reached for his belt, undoing the buckle. Never removing her eyes from his, she slowly unzipped his pants. His breath sped up in anticipation, his hands moved around her back, unzipping her dress and releasing the clasp of her bra in a smooth motion. Her hand moved lightly down the center of his chest, increasing pressure as it went, sliding under the waistband of his briefs, causing his breath to catch as it rubbed the area all around his erection, but never touching it.

His patience waning slightly, Sydney pulled Michelle’s dress and bra over her head, discarding the garments on the floor, his hands tenderly caressing her body. She leaned down to kiss him, and as her tongue gently pushed into his mouth, she grasped his cock with her hand, causing his breath to catch in his throat. As she increased the pressure of her lips on his, she slowly moved her hand up and down the shaft of his penis, allowing the friction to build.

Sensing that his excitement was close to overtaking him, she pulled her hand away, gently kissing his mouth, then releasing his lips, she allowed him a moment to catch his breath. Smiling, she gently slid her hands along his skin, down the sides of his hips, taking his underwear and pants with them, down his legs and off his feet, throwing them to the floor. Michelle ran her hands up his chest, behind his neck and into his hair, lying her naked body close against his. Once again, she kissed him sweetly, and the kisses began to descend down his neck and chest, moving toward his tummy. Sydney moaned as she neared his pelvic area, and she built the anticipation by kissing him all around his engorged cock, never touching it.

Her hands rubbed his thighs and up the sides of his hips, pressing across his pubic bone, and down again. He licked his lips in anticipation as she lowered her head toward his crotch, but she licked the inside of his thigh, moving to take one of his straining testicles into her mouth instead. A deep moan escaped from him, his hips beginning to push upward in response to the throbbing in his cock. Michelle continued to lick the inside of his thighs, and gently rub his balls with her hands.

His voice was tight, “Michelle, please....”

In answer, she kissed the tip of his penis lightly, swirling her tongue around its opening. Sydney cried out at the feel of her hot mouth on him, and she then slowly slid down his shaft, until she had managed the entire length of him. His breathing was becoming ragged as she pulled her lips tightly around him, sucking hard as she moved back up to the tip, almost removing her mouth, but then pushing back down again. Michelle built a steady rhythm with her mouth, accenting it by gently tugging downward on his testicles as she moved up his shaft, and pushing softly up with them on the down stroke. Several times, when she felt him on the brink of orgasm, she would cease all movement until he was calm enough for her to begin again.

Sydney’s hips thrust slightly with her motions, and after several times of being brought to the edge, he knew he was losing control.

He gently pushed her mouth away from him, “Michelle.... it feels too good.”

She dipped her mouth quickly down and back on him, smiling as he grunted with pleasure, releasing him once again, “We have all night, Sydney. I want to taste you.”

Just hearing her say the words almost caused the explosion within him, but he let out a slow breath, and his heart calmed. She waited, holding his eyes with hers. Finally, in answer he cupped the back of her head with his hand, and slowly pushed her toward his erection. Michelle once again began the rhythm of her mouth on his cock and her hands on his balls, until he screamed, exploding down the inside of her throat.

For several minutes, he couldn’t move, paralyzed by his insides shaking with the power of the orgasm. Michelle lay on top him, lightly caressing his chest and arms with her hand, her head resting in the crook of his neck. She felt his pounding heart slow, and his breathing returned to its normal rhythm before she spoke to him.

“I’ve missed you, Sydney.”

He kissed the top of her head, and pulled her closer to him, enjoying the feel of her warm skin next to his. Sensing that some of his strength had returned, Michelle took his right hand in hers, and pulled it down toward the wetness which was pressing for its own release. Sydney rolled slightly onto his left side, and gently ran his fingers into the heat of her. He rubbed his fingers along the ridges of her vaginal lips, before settling on the one spot that he knew would cause the moaning he was now hearing. He increased the pressure of his middle finger, while rolling the tip of her clit between his thumb and index fingers.

Gently, he rolled her onto her back so that he could run his left hand along the length of her body, while keeping the rhythm of his right on her clit. He eased his hand down across her chest, taking the time to gently rub each breast. He leaned down and took each nipple in turn, into his mouth, flicking it lightly with his tongue. His left hand continued down her tummy, and pressed on the top of her pubic bone, causing her to arch her back and her hips toward him, a groan of desire escaping her lips.

Sydney lay closer to her, placing his left hand behind her neck, and increasing the pressure of his middle finger on her. He placed a few soft kisses on her lips before taking her mouth into his, rolling his tongue in it. His mouth moved down to her neck, and slowly toward her hardened buds, gently nipping at each of them on his way. He placed soft kisses all the way down to where his right hand had been rubbing her; and taking a last look into her eyes, he allowed his mouth to replace his hand on her clit, his tongue softly running across it. Michelle cried out when she felt his fingers penetrate her a second later, slowly pressing into her, while his mouth continued to massage her most sensitive spot.

He slowly thrust his fingers in and out of her, and her hips began to buck against his mouth as he worked his tongue lightly back and forth across her clit. Her moans matched each forward thrust of his fingers, until the throbbing of her vagina matched the pressure of his mouth on her, and her inner muscles pulled taunt with the release of her orgasm. Michelle moaned in pleasured pain as the contractions within her continued. Sydney gently removed his fingers from her, and lay next to her, once again caressing her with his hands.

Michelle pulled him into her arms and held him close. As she pushed him into her body, she felt his renewed arousal. Michelle tenderly kissed him, stroking his face lightly with her hand. He responded to her, slowly kissing her, continuing to rub his hand along the front of her. Although she had never forgotten the feel of his mouth on hers, and the touch of his hands, the reality of being next to him after so many years fueled her passion for him. She kissed him with so much desire, it took his breath away.

Sydney lay close to her, lightly kissing her mouth. The scent of her hunger caused a heady feeling that was nearing intoxication for him. For almost thirty years, he only had the memories of how she felt lying beneath him; to actually have her again brought an emotion into his heart that was overwhelming in its intensity. He rose to his knees next to her, gazing powerfully into her eyes. Gently he parted her legs, wanting to feel her in the most intimate way, and her eyes told him she desired nothing more than to feel him inside of her. Never removing his eyes from hers, he stroked the length of his own shaft a few times, in anticipation of entering her.

Carefully he lay between her legs, positioning his cock at her opening. He kissed her lovingly, and gently pushed his tip into her wet vagina. Michelle gasped, and he lay still.

Her voice was low with desire, “Go slowly, I need to adjust to you.....”

He kissed her lightly, “Okay.”

Sydney slowly pushed forward, gradually allowing her to get used to his girth; it reminded him of their very first time, and he felt his eyes fill with moisture.

She touched his cheek with her hand, “What?”

He kissed her softly again, “I was just remembering....”

“Our first time?”

“Yes,” he kissed her harder, his full lips crushing into hers, helping her to know his heart.

He eased his hips forward slightly again, and the tightness around him felt like nothing else in the world. He was wrapped in the sanctity that was Michelle; the most inner part of her, and he cherished being there. Sydney continued to lightly kiss her lips as slowly, he made his way into her. After several more gentle pushes, he had fully penetrated her, and his cock was completely engorged in the only woman he had ever loved.

He lay still for a moment, allowing her to become completely comfortable, while enjoying the tightness around him. She kissed him deeply, letting him know that she was ready. Slowly, Sydney eased his hips back, pulling almost all the way out of her, then pushing gently back into her. Michelle began to moan on his downward stroke, and gasp slightly on the upward one. Sydney was lost in the feel of the contraction of her inner muscles around his penis as he pulled almost out of her on each backward stroke. He wanted nothing more than to speed up his rhythm, but knew well what Michelle enjoyed.

He kept the slow rhythm, down and back, thrusting and pulling. When her moans began to deepen, he started rubbing her clit with his thumb, watching her writhe in the pleasure he was giving to her. He could feel his cock throbbing and straining, urging him to push harder and faster, but still he maintained the rhythm which brought her the most enjoyment, matching his thrusts to her moans.

Michelle gasped loudly on his upward thrust and he knew that she was close to release. He pressed his thumb harder against her wetness, and slowly pushed himself forward into her, feeling her muscles loosen around him on the downward strokes, delighting in the tightening around him as he moved back. He pushed again, and pulled back, and Michelle’s breaths began to come in short pants.

“Oh....Sydney....”

He thrust gently down again, “Come on Michelle, let it go.”

As he pulled back, she screamed, her body convulsing wildly beneath him. The involuntary contractions of her vagina, squeezed tightly around his cock, causing him to groan as he thrust into her again. Removing his hand from her clit, he lay closer to her, placing his hands on the bed next to her for leverage. The friction against her pubic bone with his on his forward thrusts were pushing him toward the edge. Michelle caressed his buttocks lightly as his thrusts began to come faster and harder, and she sensed that he was close to his own orgasm.

Sydney moaned on each downward thrust as he neared completion, and he began driving his cock into her, his rhythm picking up speed. The friction against his penis finally caused him to scream in release as he exploded inside of her. After a few more thrusts, he collapsed against her, completely spent. She softly caressed his back as his breathing calmed, and he snuggled into her neck.

His voice was a light whisper against her bare skin, “I love you, Michelle.”

“I love you too, Sydney. I always have, and I always will.”

A moment later she felt tears falling hot onto her skin. She pushed away from him, and he tried to look away, but she caught his face with her hand, gently pulling it so she could see him.

“What’s the matter?”

“I’ve missed you so much....”

A small sob escaped his throat, and Michelle wrapped her arms around him tightly, trying to comfort him. He cried hard into her, and it hurt her to hear the anguish he had buried in his heart for so many years. It all came tumbling out, his emotions having risen to the top, and she knew he couldn’t stop them if he tried. Michelle hadn’t realized how deeply affected he might be if they opened this side of their relationship again. It was Sydney who had lost not only the woman he loved, but also his son; it was he, who had been cheated out of the life which should have been his. She had married and lived with a family, although her heart had never forgotten the love of her life. But he had remained alone, with only his memories to comfort him at night.

“Shhhh,” she rubbed his back trying to calm him, “it’s okay, I’m here now.”

Michelle lay quietly in the dark, hours after he had fallen asleep in her arms. She pulled him closer to her, placing a soft kiss on his head. Sydney had always been a deep thinker, and a deep feeler. Apparently all the years at the Centre had been unable to touch the inner soul of the man she had loved more than any other. But their lives had become so different, and too much time had passed for them to recapture their youth. She glanced down at him; she still loved him, that had not changed. But everything else had.

Her heart felt contentment as she lay there next to her dearest lover; but her mind would not be silenced.

#####################

He awoke to the annoying sound of an impatient doorbell. He gently untangled himself from Michelle, being careful not to wake her, and grabbing his pants, he pulled them on as he headed out of the room and down the stairs. Irritated, he opened the door, and all the colour drained out of his face.

“Morning, Syd,” she said casually, noting the pants and lack of shirt, looking as if he’d rushed out of bed to answer the door.

“Uh....Miss Parker. What are you doing here?”

“Sleeping in late these days, huh Freud?”

His voice was tight with exasperation, “Parker--”

She stopped him with a hand, “I came by because there was a ten car pile up on the One last night, you haven’t been answering your phones, and I wanted to be sure you were all right.”

“Oh.”


”Besides, you look like you can use some coffee.”

She started to push past him but he restrained her with his arms, “Miss Parker, I appreciate the concern, but I don’t want any coffee just now.”

Parker stared at him, “Come on, Syd, you like my coffee better than yours, you’ve said so yourself.”

Before he could retort or shore up the reinforcement of his body blocking the door, Parker shoved her way past him and walked into the foyer.

“Parker....”

But it was too late; her eyes were moving across the jacket on the floor, the tie at the bottom of the stairs, the pantyhose on the bannister, and finally the high heeled black shoes on the top steps.

He watched in horror as she walked over to the jacket and picked it up off the floor, “Nice redecorating. Your idea, or hers?”

Sydney crossed his arms and glared at her, not dignifying the comment with an answer.

Her eyebrows arched at him, “I didn’t think you still had it in you, Freud. Who’s the babe?”

“The ‘babe’ would be me.”

Parker turned toward the voice on the landing, and she recognized the woman standing in Sydney’s peach shirt, as Michelle Stamatis. A frown creased her brow as the implications of it hit her. Parker glared back toward Sydney, who was now looking down at the floor, shaking his head.

She turned back toward the woman above, “You’re Michelle.”

“And you must be Miss Parker.”

“Yes.” Parker smiled evilly, “Fancy meeting you here....”

“Yes, isn’t it.”

Sydney had no more patience, “Michelle say good bye to Miss Parker, she was just leaving.”

He grabbed Parker hard by the elbow and pulled her toward the door, but she pushed away from him.

“I just got here, Sydney. And you invited me in for coffee.”

He rolled his eyes, and Michelle couldn’t keep the amusement from lighting her face. Miss Parker was every bit as difficult as had been rumoured when she was a child; it was obvious that she wasn’t about to leave until Sydney at least tossed her a bone.

Smiling, Michelle descended the steps, “I’m sure Sydney would be happy to make his mother’s old coffee recipe, wouldn’t you, honey?”

Sydney stole a sidelong glance at Parker, and caught her flinching at Michelle’s use of the demonstrative term.

A tiny grin began to tease the corners of his mouth, “That’s a great idea, Michelle, I don’t believe that Miss Parker has ever had my mother’s coffee.”

Parker’s brows furrowed together, “You don’t have a coffee recipe from your mother, Freud, or I’d know about it.”

“Actually, Miss Parker, I’ve only made it for Michelle.”

As soon as the words left his mouth, he regretted it, as Parker’s face filled with hurt, and it had stemmed from pure orneriness on his part. He nodded to Michelle, who quietly went into the kitchen, leaving them alone.

He walked over to the young woman he loved as a daughter, “Parker, I didn’t mean it the way it sounded. I haven’t made that coffee since Michelle left me all those years ago.”

Her words carried a double meaning that was not lost on Sydney, “I understand the pain of losing a loved one.”

“I know you do.” He smiled at her and gently took one of her hands in his, “Parker, you’ve been the only stable female presence in my life since you were a little girl; in many ways, you’re like a daughter to me. No one will ever take your place in my heart, and you have to know that. But, I do love Michelle, and I want to spend as much time with her as possible. You can understand that, can’t you?”

“Of course.”

He put an arm around her, and hugged her to him, “Now, come on, it’s long past time that you should taste this coffee.”

“What the hell’s so great about it?”

“You’ll see.....”

She followed him into the kitchen, and watched him put 4 cups of milk in a saucepan, stirring it over heat. He dumped several heaping tablespoons of espresso into the saucepan, and kept stirring. When the tiniest of bubbles appeared on the sides of the milk, he haphazardly dumped some sugar from a sugar bowl into the mixture. After another few minutes, he pulled it off the heat, and strained it into three mugs. He handed one to Michelle and one to Parker. She sipped the liquid cautiously, and a smile lit her face.

“I’ll admit Freud, I was less than confident about this.....”

“And now?”

“Sold.”

#####################

Sydney’s Car
Route One


The air in the car was full of tension. There had been nothing but strain between them since the phone call had come. They had gone to the hotel to check Michelle out, and she was packing her bag when the phone rang. Sydney had answered it.

“Hello?”

“Bon jour, Madame Michelle Stamatis, sí vous plâit.”

“Qu’est-ce qui demandez?”

“Roget Larousse.”

Sydney frowned and handed the phone to Michelle, “Messieurs Larousse.....”

He watched her closely as she spoke to the man on the phone, and from her end of the conversation, he gathered that a job had been offered, and accepted. She hung up the receiver and smiled at him.

“I’ve been offered a position at the Psychological Research Institute in Lyons.”

He was less than enthusiastic, “And you took it.”

“Of course I did, honey, it’s the opportunity of a lifetime. You know the work they do there.”

“Yes.....but Michelle, it’s in Lyons.”

She moved closer to him, “I know. Sydney, I applied for this before we....well....” She kissed his lips lightly, “You could come with me. There’s nothing keeping you here now.” He frowned at her and she continued, “What, the Centre? You should have left there years ago.”

“Michelle, it’s not that simple.”

“Oh but it is that simple. Stay here at the Centre, or come with me to Lyons. Nicholas will come and visit periodically, so you’ll see him probably more than you do now. Sydney, we could have the life that was stolen from us thirty years ago.”

He stepped away from her, “That life is gone, Michelle. I have other....concerns at the Centre.”

“Miss Parker?”

“Yes. Miss Parker, and Jarod....Michelle, they still need me, and I can’t just leave them.”

“They’re full grown adults, Sydney, not children. They can fend for themselves and you know it. Come with me.”

His eyes were full of anguish, and his voice a bare whisper, “I can’t.”

Fresh tears were spilling down Michelle’s face, and she did nothing to stop them. Sydney had all he could do to keep his own from falling; he was about to lose another person he loved, and this one for the second time.

#####################

Air Drome Airport
Dover, DE


He set the bag down on the tarmac, shoving his hands deeply into the pockets of his suit jacket. He swallowed hard; how could she have promised him he would never lose her again, and in less than twenty four hours, it had happened? He slammed his eyes shut against the pain in his heart. He wasn’t sure he would survive it.

Michelle moved close to him, taking his face in her hands, “Sydney, don’t look so sad. We’ll see each other again.”

He couldn’t say anything, for fear that he would only cry. She put her hands on his face and pulled his lips to hers, softly kissing him. He didn’t move, nor did he say a word, he simply stared into her eyes as she pulled away from him.

Her voice was soft, “Mon bien-aimé, mon seul un....je t’aime.”

Sydney couldn’t bring himself to speak to her. His heart was breaking into a million pieces, and he knew if he tried to utter a sound, or worse, if he touched her, he would break down right there on the tarmac.

Tears filled her eyes and she stroked his cheek, “À bientôt....”

She picked up her bag and turned away, and he finally found his voice, but it was laced with profound sadness, “Non, ma Cheri, n’est vrai pas.”

Michelle frowned at him, “Sydney--”

“--I’ll miss you, more than you could ever know.” Michelle managed to nod, and he tried to smile at her, but his eyes filled with tears, “Au revoir, Michelle. Avec tu marches mon cœur.”

He placed a lingering kiss on her lips, turned quickly, and went into the terminal, terrified to look behind him.

#####################

The Centre
Sydney’s Office


He sat at his desk, fingering the pocket watch. He couldn’t bring himself to open it. The inscription inside would only cause him more pain. He opened the top right hand drawer, and gently set the watch inside, closing it.

“What good does a watch do inside a drawer?”

He looked up at the woman standing in his doorway, “Not much, I suppose.”

Parker took a good look at him, and frowned; he seemed so sad.

“You okay, Syd?”

“Mmm-hmmm, fine.”

She stepped into the room, “You’re a lousy liar, Sydney.”

“You don’t like what I’m offering, you know where the door is, Miss Parker.”

“Ooooo, trying to alienate the co-workers today. What would Carl Jung have to say about that...”

He stood up, “I have work to do, Miss Parker, so if you’ll excuse me.....”

Sydney tried to walk past her, but she caught his arm, holding it tightly, “Not so fast, Dr. Strangelove.”

“Let go of me.”

“You’d never let me off that easily, so forget it, Sydney.”

He looked down, his bottom lip pushing out slightly, then he glanced back up into her eyes, “She’s gone.”

It was a simple statement, but Parker knew exactly what he was saying, and how much hurt him.

Her voice softened, “What happened?”

A sad smile tugged at his lips, “A job in Lyons.”

She frowned, sensing she didn’t have the whole story, “That was it? She just left?” He looked down, and she prodded, “Sydney...”

“She asked me to go with her.”

Her eyes were charged with a slight fear, and he could see her fighting with herself; one part of her wanting him to go and be happy, and the other wanting to keep him at the Centre.

“You told me once when I had the chance, to go.” She looked deeply into his eyes, “Why didn’t you?”

“Unlike you, Miss Parker, I am older and have other...... commitments.”

Her tone belied an annoyance, “Jarod.”

“And you.”

Parker’s eyes filled with emotion, and it took her a moment before she could speak.

“Is there anything I can do for you?”

He shook his head, “No, but thank you.”

Parker nodded and walked to the door, turning back toward him, “Syd?”

“Hmmm?

“Go to the ballet with me tonight.”

His eyes filled with tears, “Maybe some other time, Miss Parker.”

She walked over to him, stopping close, looking deeply into his eyes, “Uh-uh.” He glared at her, and she smiled, “It’s The Nutcracker.”

“At this time of year?”

She shrugged, “It’s the local company at Dover, we’re lucky they’re doing anything at all.” He chuckled slightly, and she reached up and gently stroked his face, “I’ve never seen The Nutcracker with anyone but you. I don’t want to break tradition now.”

His eyes were full of tears, but not one dared to drop, “Then I suppose I can’t refuse.”

She kissed his cheek, “It’ll get better, Syd, you’ll see.”

“I know.”

“Meet me in my office at six, and we’ll go see what all the little nuts are cracking....”

He started laughing at her bad joke, and not a moment later, the laughter had turned to sobs, his heart tied up in a knot.

Parker pulled him into her arms and held him, “It’s okay. I’m here now. Things will look different in the morning.”

fin