Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc.and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Regeneration
part 8
by Gizmo




He fired once. He watched the chairman fall forward onto the glass and then turn. Mr. Parker met his eyes, a shocked expression on his face and he tensed when the chairman raised his gun. Blood streaked down the glass wall as the chairman slid to a sitting position and dropped the gun.

Lowering his gun, Major Charles stared at the people inside the tank until a hissing noise got his attention. The lid swung aside. He ran for the stairway.

Lyle was already in the water when he reached the platform. Sydney had lost his calm demeanor and ranted at the doctors to help, to get ready, to do something for God’s sake they took an oath. The technician and red headed agent fumbled at the control panel as the Major jumped in beside Lyle. They nodded to each other and dove under. He reached Miss Parker and Lyle grabbed the pretender. Kicking, they dragged their prizes to the surface. Hands hauled their treasures onto the platform.

Major Charles hung onto the edge, panting to catch his breath. He watched through watery eyes for a moment as the doctors worked. Turning, he frowned at the empty spot where he had expected Lyle to be. Looking down through the water, he saw the younger man sinking. He dove again and dragged Lyle to the surface. Parker’s twin sputtered and coughed at the surface. He shoved him up onto the platform and realized why Lyle had sunk. The man had been shot and was bleeding profusely. He had obviously used up all his energy in saving Jarod.

A hand reached out and Major Charles took it. Using all his strength, Sydney helped pull Jarod’s exhausted father to safety. They collapsed side by side on the platform to watch.

Miss Parker coughed and they turned her onto her side. Water came up and she breathed deeply. An oxygen mask was strapped onto her head and the gunshot wound she’d received while climbing the stairs was bandaged. When the doctors finally stepped aside, she saw Lyle for the first time since being revived.

“My brother,” she breathed. “He’s bleeding.”

The doctors rushed to the man crawling towards his sister. Within moments, Lyle’s shirt had been peeled back and the pumping blood revealed. Another moment and they had stopped the flow. Lyle rotated his face towards his sister and she reached for his hand. Holding tightly to each other, they turned together to watch.

Rachel poked the technician’s face gently and frowned. She didn’t have enough medical training to determine if the bones were broken by the sweeper who had punched, then shoved the technician over the edge. He thanked her anyway and she smiled. They turned to watch and somehow, found each other’s hands.

Jarod hadn’t moved, his eyes wide open and staring unseeing at the men above him. If he could have listened, he would have heard the hum as the shock paddles he hated warmed up and the hissing as the bag forced air into his lungs. If he could have felt, he would have felt the pounding and pushing on his chest. If he could have seen their distressed expressions, Jarod would have whispered words of reassurance.

But he wasn’t there. He heard and saw a woman who had been dead for twenty years.

“Is this what you wanted?” he asked her. “Was this your plan?”

“I needed to talk to you.”

“There’s Ethan…”

“No. I wanted this to be between us.”

He waited patiently for her to continue.

“I did blame you. Perhaps a small part of me even wanted you dead. When you came to the house in the woods – I used you.”

“I know.”

He felt her gentle smile. “That’s why you questioned my motives – it’s why you didn’t want to follow my plan. You knew.”

“Yes. You were desperate. I was the source of the trouble in your life so you felt justified in giving me the location of the disk. You wanted me to feel some of the responsibility for your death.”

“You’re half right. But you were never the source of the troubles. I was wrong! I blamed you and for this I need your forgiveness. This is why I had to meet with you. Mine is the first death you learned to take responsibility for and I cannot let this continue.”

“I should be asking for your forgiveness…”

“NO.” He felt a spark of something negative and withdrew a bit but she was still there. “Listen to me. You were never to blame. Not for my death or the deaths from your simulations.”

“It doesn’t matter anymore.”

“As my daughter would say – for a genius, you’re pretty stupid.”

Then, lights and sharp pain. His lungs felt full and he moved his lips as water rushed up and out. More pain ripped through him as he coughed involuntarily. Air, his mind screamed, he needed more air. Wrenching his body into an arc, he tried to suck all the air from the room but hands were pushing, shoving him down. He gasped, trying to shove more air into the sacs and passages of his lungs. A plastic mask was pushed in front of his nose and he felt tears gather. No, he wanted to scream but couldn’t waste the precious air, I need more air! People leaned over him and he pushed with his hands, trying to get to the air they blocked.

Miss Parker felt the tears overrun at his first gasp. When he moved against the doctor’s hands, she released her brother and thrust herself forward. She pushed one doctor aside and looked down into the panicked eyes of the pretender.

“Jarod!” she screamed hoarsely. “Look at me!”

He turned his gaze and she lowered her face until their foreheads touched. Tears dripped onto his face. She latched onto his hands with her own.

“Game over,” she whispered.

****

Three days later

Broots grabbed for his daughter but she skipped ahead of him.

“Debbie!” he warned. “This is a hospital. Slow down, young lady!”

“Come on, Dad!” she called. “I can’t wait to give them my cards!”

They approached what Rachel had dubbed the ‘Tough Guys Ward’ and Miss Parker stepped out. She smiled at Debbie, showing her teeth, and listened as the little girl rattled on about the cards she had made.

“Well, they’re awake but Jarod was just moved here today so you can’t stay long,” she announced. Debbie grinned and disappeared into the room.

“Jarod is out of ICU?” Broots asked with a smile.

“Yeah,” she replied. “They released Ethan and Sydney. Now, Jarod and Lyle are in a little contest to see who will get released from this joint first.”

“How are you doing?” he asked politely.

“Doctors gave me a clean bill of health yesterday.” Broots smiled widely, thinking of how grateful the nurses had probably been to be rid of their demanding patient. She certainly looked fit in her short skirt and tight blouse. “How’s that project you’ve been working on coming along?”

“I’m done with my part.” He told her with a self-satisfied grin. After the FBI had cleared out of the Centre, everything had been left in complete disarray. With the chairman dead and the tower preoccupied with defending the Centre from legal allegations, Broots had complete, unrestricted access to the Centre’s computers. The results would be here soon. “Is the whole family here?”

“No. They’ll be coming a little later. Major Charles went to see Maggie’s brothers.”

He nodded and smiled secretly. If they arrived within a few hours, the timing should be perfect.

“Sydney was here earlier,” she mentioned.

“I saw him yesterday. He’s doing a lot better.”

“He and Jarod talked for a long time. I took Lyle for a wheelchair spin while they talked.”

Broots laughed. “This place will never be the same.”

“Well, perhaps we ought to see if your daughter has driven them up the wall yet.”

Inside the room, Debbie Broots was perched on a cabinet. Both Jarod and Lyle were admiring homemade cards and the girl smiled widely. Broots took a minute to study the two men.

Jarod’s face was bruised and pale but there was something new in his eyes. Peace, Broots realized. Jarod had settled some inner demon. Hopefully, whatever it was that had driven Jarod to perform pretend after pretend – treading precariously between justice and revenge – had died inside that water tank.

A sense of tranquility was evident in Lyle’s eyes too. A sparkling mischief also danced there and Broots grinned a little. Lyle had somehow obtained or perhaps, regained an ability to tease and laugh. His good-natured humor would be a good counterpoint for Emily’s seriousness, he thought with a smile.

Jarod’s dark-haired sister had visited several times. The awkwardness she displayed around Lyle only confirmed what the rest of the family was reluctantly accepting. She was attracted to their former nemesis.

Ducking between the maze of IV stands, Broots stepped between the two beds and pointed out some features on the cards. Both men made sounds of approval and then turned to admire the bruises adorning his face.

“Well, I am surprised at you, Mr. Broots,” Lyle teased. “I would have expected you to be in much worse condition after surviving a punch by Willie.”

“Yeah, well, I guess I feel lucky to be alive. For a minute there, I thought I was going to fall off that platform for certain.”

“Saved by a beautiful woman,” Jarod interjected. “I know the feeling.”

“Actually, I have a date tonight with that beautiful woman,” Broots stated proudly. “Miss Parker is watching Debbie for me.”

Jarod grinned at Broots. Rachel had visited while he resided in ICU and they had found an easy friendship. He thought Broots and Rachel would make an interesting couple.

“Are you sure you’re up to babysitting?” Lyle asked his sister. Nodding towards the girl, he continued. “She looks like a handful.”

“Debbie and I are going to be just fine.”

“What are you planning?” Jarod asked.

“Girls night. That means none of your business.”

“I’m ready for a boy’s night out,” Jarod sighed. “How about we sneak out of here tonight and go spy on them?”

“With or without the catheters?” Lyle quipped.

***

That evening

She tried to push through the door but someone was leaning against it from the inside. Pushing harder, the red haired girl stepped aside and the nurse glared menacingly at Maggie before looking around the room.

“There are too many people in this room! These men need rest. This isn’t a party!”

The people gathered quieted and stared at her like she had grown horns. She had heard snatches of the wild story about how these two handsome young men had come to be in her care. But it wasn’t her business to find out how they got here. It was her business to get them out of here.

“Okay, everyone out! I have to get some things done!”

They grumbled but shuffled reluctantly out. Going to the man who had been dangerously ill just yesterday, she began checking vitals and writing on his chart. He watched her checking the IVs and spoke for the first time.

“The dosage can be reduced by…”

“Are you a doctor?” she asked with her back to him still.

“I can be.”

“Well, unless you intend to be your own, I suggest you let your doctor do his job and let me do mine.”

The other man laughed uproariously and she glared at him.

“Listen, young man, unless you want your next pain killer injected somewhere uncomfortable, you’ll keep your sarcasm to yourself.” She added a finger waggling to her lecture then turned back to her original patient who was trying to stifle his own humor.

She untied the hospital gown and began checking his wounds. Clucking her tongue, she made sounds of disapproval.

“You’ve been moving around too much. See how you’ve reopened these cuts! This one bled right through this bandage. I will haul you back to ICU if you don’t learn some self control, young man!”

“Yes, Jarod, learn some self control,” Lyle teased loudly.

“Just wait for your turn!” he returned with an eyebrow raised and a slight smirk. “We’ll see who has more control.”

When she had finished, she glared at the visitors as they shuffled back inside then headed for the nurses’ station. Sitting, she concentrated on recording her observations until someone cleared their throat to get her attention.

“I’m, umm, looking for my son. I received a message that he’s a patient here.”

Glancing up, the nurse gave the woman her most annoyed glare. She took in the woman’s appearance and immediately made the connection.

“Your son is in room 312B.”

The woman gave her a perplexed look. “I haven’t given you his name.”

“Well, your daughter is there and she looks exactly like you.”

This seemed to perplex the woman even further but she turned and followed the room numbers to 312B. Knocking tentatively, she waited until the door was opened from inside before disappearing into the room. The door shut quietly behind her.

The End?



feedback please : Unreal8@aol.com