Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.



Blue Skies
part 4
by 23





Miss Parker’s House
Blue Cove, DE

“Jarod, how did you escape?” Miss Parker said once she had recovered from her state of confusion. She held the phone tighter, closer to her ear.

“Your brother, as it seems to me, underestimates people.” “I enjoy being underestimated, however I am going to kill him for this. After I kill you.” “You really should see a psychiatrist about misplaced aggression.” “The one good psychiatrist I ever met was only on the job for a day, Jarod.” “Well, I’m sure he could return if you really wanted him to.” “I don’t.” “I’m sure he’s sorry you feel that way.” “I’ll bet he is,” said Miss Parker, clicking the phone off.

Jarod sighed. It had been a strenuous day. A seemingly non-finite number of things had happened to him that day. He went to go look for a spot to rest the night.

***

The Centre
Blue Cove, DE

“I can’t believe it! This place is in total chaos!” shouted Syd happily. Michelle glanced at him. “You look happy. Why is that?” “Lyle...they’re going to demote him. And Jarod! Jarod was mentally faced with his worst fear: a pretend he couldn’t win.” “And that’s good?” “He overcame it Michelle! He escaped from this place on his own! He didn’t need help anymore!” Sydney hugged Michelle in rapture.

Then his face fell. “He...didn’t need help anymore. He doesn’t need me anymore,” Syd said, realizing what he had been saying. Michelle looked at Sydney, sad, and nodded. “Sydney. That’s the worst part of taking care of someone. Once you’ve helped them...they become independent.” Sydney wandered over to his desk and began writing.

****

Middleway Street
Gilan, Massachusetts

Dan had been half-way across the states searching for Jarod. He had also taken to picking up jobs and leaving them shortly after. He was here to meet a person Jarod had helped. It was a convenient place because neither of them lived nearby, therefore preventing the chance of the Centre’s actual involvement. Dan waited there for what, Jarod later informed him, was 10.852 minutes, but seemed like forever.

The person he was meeting was Jonathan Neivan. Jarod had helped Mr. Neivan with a lawsuit a few years ago. Neivan needed help again that day, and had tried to contact Jarod. However, Dan was the only person available at that time. So, Daniel would have to pretend to be a pretender, a very self-defining concept.

****

Miss Parker’s House
Blue Cove, DE

Parker jerked forward in her sleep, then awoke. The phone rang. She jumped, then hit her head. She picked up. “What?” she asked. Syd responded on the other end of the phone. “Well, we’ve figured out where Jarod’s gone. Broots needs someone to be a sitter for Debby.” “Why? She’ll be fine, he’s always chasing Jarod.” “In Europe?” “Europe?” “France, actually. Specifically Paris.” “Why?” “You know Jarod. He probably wants to help someone.” “And make me kill my back while doing so.” “Well, would you sit for Debby?” “There’s no way I’m missing a chance to kill him.” “Guess we’ll have to bring her then.” “Sydney, we can’t do that!” “We can’t leave her alone, Miss Parker,” said Syd, adding as an afterthought “or at the Centre.”

***

Aboard a Plane
Somewhere in the Vicinity of the Northern Atlantic

Jarod was always glued to the window when he flew. He had 3/7 major coastlines of America memorized. Jarod’s pretends had rarely carried him this far away from his family, but there was someone he needed to see. Who it was, he didn’t know. But he had an unmistakable premonition that he needed to go to Paris.

Having memorized the coastline, Jarod looked to see what the featured movie would be.

***

Mr. Parker’s Office
Blue Cove, DE

“Yes, Angel, I know. Mr. Raines mentioned that you were headed for Europe,” Mr. Parker said to his daughter. “Raines?” asked Miss Parker. “Yes - what’s wrong?” “Oh, nothing, I just figured that he didn’t care.” “He really seemed to. Didn’t really seem like he wanted to go, but offered anyway. He’s a loyal man.”

***

The Centre
Blue Cove, DE

“You’re telling me that Mr. Raines knew?” asked Broots, no more panic stricken than normal. “Not just that,” responded Miss Parker, “he even volunteered to go.” “Well, he can’t go - can he?” “Apparently my father thinks he can. What is he up to?” “In order to understand a person, you have to go inside his mind,” said Broots “according to Sigmund Freud.” “That man’s mind is one biohazard wasteland that Jarod’s not bringing me into. Why have you been reading Syd’s books?” “Jarod sent some very interesting information on the subconscious.” “Jarod gives the term ‘quack’ a whole new meaning.”

***

Boarding a Centre Helicopter
Blue Cove, DE

“Je ne comprends pas. I do not understand,” recited Broots, listening to his “Learn French in 41 minutes and three seconds while on a helicopter without forgetting everything immediately afterward” tape which had been among the books Jarod had sent. Miss Parker glared at him. She bothered to say “Je suis malade,” before eliminating Broots’s existence in her mind for yet another time. (Broots later discovered that was French for “I am ill” and stopped repeating the phrases on the tape.)

Debby, in back with Sydney, was reading the latest Harry Potter book - written in French, of course - and wondering how her dad would fare. Sydney was reading synopses of soap operas that he would be missing. Meanwhile, Mr. Raines was flying the plane without demonstrating any hint of emotion.

****

The Eiffel Tower
Paris, France

Jarod looked out at the sunset. It was different from up high; so was everything. He was dressed in a curious antique painter’s outfit, and spun the magnificent colors on his wooden pallet to the canvas. Almost finished, he put white lines which made it appear as though the canvas had been cracked, and later pieced back together.

****

Centre Helicopter
Landing

Miss Parker was glad to get off the plane; she was the first one off. Nervously, Broots rose and went to accompany Debby. Sydney sighed, and put his synopses away. As the three were about to leave, Miss Parker yelled Jarod’s name, and Raines immediately ran past them, oxygen tank speeding.

Jarod was there, but he knew his way around and was running. Raines fell, having been block by a young kid, who was about to help him; he ran away seeing Raines’s face.
Sydney came to help him, and Broots held Debby safely away from the Centre operative. Miss Parker continued to run after Jarod.

Jarod twisted his ankle, at a very inconvenient time. Miss Parker held her gun and aimed at him. Jarod was in a dead end, at a green colored house. He rang the doorbell. Miss Parker said “Don’t move!” and steadied her gun. Jarod looked at her. Hurt showed in his eyes. “Why do you think I brought you here?” he said. Miss Parker didn’t say anything.

“I missed out on most of my childhood. You missed out on part of yours,” Jarod said, trapped, but not wanting to leave. Miss Parker’s hands trembled. The door opened. Her gun fell to the floor. It was her mother.


TBC


Please tell me what you thisnk about it! icelerrin@aol.com