Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: They're not mine but if I were a big important producer person, I’d buy the rights to the Pretender and do what I please with the characters! And then the day is mine... well... um... errr.. Never mind just disregard that last remark. BTW if you are a big important producer person don't sue I only make $5.70 an hour, it wouldn't be worth it.




You Don’t Know What You’ve Got
Till It’s Yours
by Injury Princess




“Sidney I can’t take it, I just can’t take it any more.” Jarod explained into the phone.

Night had fallen but he had barely moved from his spot on the cliff. “I’m angry and upset all the time. I don’t care any more. I’ve seen people die before. But she didn’t deserve that. She… she never got anything she deserved. She used to be an innocent child, that child deserved to grow up in a normal loving home to become a successful happy women, not the bitter huntress she became.” The bitterness in Jarod’s voice was all too apparent.

“Jarod,” Sidney said calmly, “Miss. Parker made her own choices and no one, not even you, could change her. You were two very different individuals you know.” Jarod sighed.

“As different as we were we were still the same, never having the chance to make the choices that other kids did. Sidney when she fell I realized that she would never have the normal life that was meant for her and nether would I.” The anger built up inside Jarod. “I Just can’t stand it any more.” He shouted.

“Now Jarod please calm down.” Sidney recommended in his doctorly fashion.

“Why, Sidney, what’s the point?” Jarod asked bitterly.

“Jarod just don’t do anything rash that you’ll regret later.” Sidney warned.

“Rash? Like what Sidney? Like throw myself off a cliff?” The cold tone in his voice stunned and alarmed Sidney. He could sense that he meant every word.

“Jarod think about what you’re saying I beg you.” Sidney hoped he could reason with Jarod but feared that he couldn’t. “Sorry Sidney there’s something I have to do and someone I have to see.” Jarod said coldly, his mind made up.

“Jarod wait!” Sidney cried.

“Good bye Sidney.” The next thing Sidney heard was the line going dead but he couldn’t bring himself to hang up the phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Parker entered moments later whiles Sidney sat blankly staring off with the phone still pressed to his ear. He finally put down the phone when he noticed Mr. Parker had entered. At the sight of Mr. Parker sadness turned to rage.

“So, Sidney, how’s the search going?” He asked walking towards him.

Sidney lost it then, he sprung to his feet grabbed Mr. Parker by the throat and pushed him up against the wall.

“This is all your fault you son of a bitch! First your own daughter and now Jarod. He wouldn’t have killed himself if he didn’t feel it was all his fault but it’s really yours! You sit in your office and hide behind your family. You hid behind her just like you hid behind her mother and now they’re both dead.”

Mr. Parker, with a surprising burst of strength, grabbed Sidney and pulled his hands off of him.

“Now you listen to me Sidney, without Jarod your job here can be easily replaced and you can be just as easily erased, I’m saying this for your own good. Watch your step!”

Sidney backed off but never broke his gaze. Mr. Parker walked confidently out of the room but inside he was worried, how would he explain this one. He tried imagined what he would saw when he was questioned about Jarod.

Yes Jarod is dead. Yes, he killed himself. Why? Apparently over the death of my daughter. Yes I put her on the assignment. No I didn’t think that anything was going on!

Mr. Parker boarded the empty elevator in shock. Was there anything going on?! She couldn’t have been seeing him all that time. Mr. Parker thought thinking back on how long her search for him had lasted and how many times he had ‘kidnapped’ her, and how many time they had been alone together and she never brought him in. Mr. Parker felt he was about to be sick. She wouldn’t do that to me. He decided. That would be just like that rebellious little bitch to spite me like that. My own bitchy little Juliet seeing her lab experiment Romeo right under my nose! She was just like her mother; to daring for her own good! Mr. Parker stepped out of the elevator determined to go to his office and have a drink or two before making any phone calls.

***

~THE CLIFFS~

It had been and hour since he had called Sidney but Jarod still sat motionless with his cell phone in his lap. With a sudden burst of anger Jarod flung his cell phone over the cliff. Somewhere inside he was glad that he had locked the DSA player in a bank safe deposit box. He may regret throwing his past over a cliff if he didn’t throw himself over first. This rational side also decided that the temptation to do so was too great sitting only feet away from the edge. Jarod got up; his legs were uncooperative at first having been in one position for so long. But he knew he needed to be anywhere but here.

Jarod wondered his way through the dimly lit bar. Cigarette smoke hung thickly in the air. Jarod sat on an empty seat at the bar and waited for a bartender to come over. Seeing him walk in, the young female bartender walked over to Jarod. “You look like you’ve had one hell of a day. What can I get ya?” She asked somewhat seductively and somewhat sympathetically. “What ever will make me forget fastest.” At the moment Jarod didn’t care if she brought him Club Soda or arsenic, he just wanted to be drunk, wanted not to care.

Jarod drunk himself into a daze, he was barely even conscience of tell his entire life story to the equally drunken man next to him.

The bartender walked back over. “Look I’ve been listenin’ to your story, and yes most of it is crazy, but I think that’s ‘cause of the massive amount of alcohol that you’ve consumed tonight. But I caught the part about Miss. Parker,” she said sympathetically, “and I have to say that you can never let go of love. You sound like you really miss her so if she left you than you should go after her and beg for another chance. And if you left her I think you should giver her another chance, any woman who dose to a man what she’s doing to you now, deserves another chance, no matter what.” The bartender smiled as she handed Jarod his bill.

He handed over some of the money in his pocket and got down off the barstool. His legs adjusted to walking as he stumbled his way through the fog of smoke. Jarod left the bar thinking that she was right; they both deserved another chance, and there was only one way to get it.

***

~THE CENTRE~

It had been three days since Jarods call. By all accounts he was dead. Someone had somehow got hold of a copy of the conversation and with it convinced all of the board members that Jarod was without a doubt dead. Sidney had been marched into a meeting to confirm this theory, which he did. He had been promptly been handed a new case study on personality disorders and was immediately sent to meet his first volunteers. Sidney did his job, that’s what he was there to do. But the science, along with the lies, no longer held his interest.

***

~THE CLIFFS~

Jarod stood atop the cliff as he did countless times within the last few days, each time barely pulling himself back from the brink of suicide. This time he’d made up his mind. It’s funny, he thought, how drinking makes everything so much clearer. He loved her and now she was dead, it was his fault so he himself must die. “It’s that simple.”

Jarod stood on the edge preparing to jump. Just one step. He thought. And gravity would do the rest. Just one foot over the edge, a slight shift of weight and… Maybe I’ll see her again, was the thought he couldn’t bring himself to think, maybe she’ll forgive me.

The alcohol made his judgment a little blurry but he still couldn’t’ do it. “I have to face it I’m nothing now. I haven’t pretended to do anything in weeks, I did shake the Centre, but that’s only because all I do is eat, sleep, and come here. Hell I can’t even remember the last time I ate!” He took a deep breath. It was time!

“Lose something?” A familiar voice from behind him asked. He turned to face the women dressed in a long yellow flowered sundress and flat white shoes.

“You again!” He replied in a drunken anger to Miss. Parker. “Look I don’t need this now! You may look like her and sound like her but when it comes down to it every time I try to touch you, you blow away in a cloud of imaginative smoke.” He slurred. “I maybe very drunk but I know that you couldn’t track me when you were alive so you can’t be real.”

She nodded towards his feet. “GPS chip in your shoe. You aren’t the only one who can sneak into a room late at night.”

“No! You’re not real! So, go away and let me do what I have to do. I need to see her and you just don’t cut it any more.” The image moved closer to him.

“Oh really?” She said as she took his hand. He turned instantly and looked into her eyes. “My mother isn’t the only Parker who can fake her own death.”

“Parker?” he asked unsurely. She nodded yes in response. “But how? I mean I saw you fall, I saw you die.”

“You saw what I needed you to see.” She answered quietly.

“But how did you do it?” She smiled and walked cautiously to the edge. From under the ledge she pulled up the tethered end of a bung cord. “I got the idea from an Aerosmith video.” She smiled again.

“I guess that explains this.” He said lightly touching the faded scar on her check.

“That, four stitches, and a bruised rib, but that was better than I’d hoped. I came up with the whole plan within a week. I knew the cliffs blind folded and I set the alarm on my cell phone to sound like I got a phone call. Everything went exactly to plan when I reached this point I had only seconds to pick up the clip, attach it to my belt, and draw my gun.”

He looked at her in a dazed amazement she smiled sympathetically again. “I’m sorry I tricked you but I needed everyone to think I was dead. I couldn’t take any chances if I wanted to join you.”

His face was full of surprise, she continued. “Let’s face it we belong together we had our lives torn apart by a place we were afraid to leave behind.”

Jarod couldn’t believe his eyes or ears. Here stood the women of his dreams, literally, picture prefect in a beautiful yellow sundress telling him she wanted nothing more than to be with him, he must be more drunk than he originally thought.

“How do I know it’s really you or that this isn’t some trick?” He asked whishing he could believe her.

“It may be the oldest cliché in movie history but I can think of only one way to prove it to you.”

Miss. Parker moved closer and placed her hands on the sides of Jarod’s face. Slowly she brought her lips to his and they kissed. Thought it lasted only a few seconds it felt like a small taste of heaven, simple, sweet, and eternal.

~THE END~