Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: They're not mine but if I were a big important producer person, I’d buy the rights to the Pretender and do what I please with the characters! And then the day is mine... well... um... errr.. Never mind just disregard that last remark. BTW if you are a big important producer person don't sue I only make $5.70 an hour, it wouldn't be worth it.



You Don’t Know What You’ve Got:
Till It’s Over

by Injury Princess




Jarod sat motionless on the edge of the bed. He looked around and noticed, for the first time, that it was morning. He couldn’t remember what time it was when he had arrived at the hotel. He remembered pulling into the parking lot: already knowing that some run down furniture, a warn out carpet, and an old lumpy bed awaited him. He could even remember asking for a room and hearing the old man ask him for a name, but he couldn’t remember what name he had given. The last four days were almost a complete blur. Suddenly the room began to spin, “Ugggh” he moaned, fighting a wave of nausea as he ran to the bathroom. After whatever contents that had found their way into his stomach over the past four days found their way out, Jarod fumbled around until he found the bathtub faucet. After making the shower water as hot as he could with out melting off his skin he began the seemingly difficult task of removing his cloths. A task which proved less difficult once he thought to take off his pants after removing his shoes. He sat on the shower floor, his arms hugging his knees tightly, letting the water pour down on him. The world began to melt together again, his body numbed, and he went farther down inside himself than he had ever gone in a sim. Life no longer had meaning; he no longer felt the need to help others when he couldn’t even help himself: when he couldn’t help her.

~THE CENTRE~

Mr. Parker hadn’t been seen in three days. Mr. Lyle made an appearance or two but was often nowhere to be found. Sidney and Broots had been given no further instruction on the Jarod project nor any word on the search for Miss. Parkers’ body. The Centre, for what seemed the first time in its history, felt silent and empty.

Sidney went back to his other projects, Broots kept himself busy by assisting Sidney and leaving work as early as possible to be home with Debbie.

Sidney sat at his desk hoping Jarod would call. It had been four days since he heard form him and he was very worried. When he spoke with Jarod that day he knew that he was destroyed. Sidney knew the moment his cell phone rang that it would be Jarod. He was in the car about five minutes away from his house but he pulled off to the side to talk to Jarod.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Sidney.” He said trying to make it seem as though he wasn’t expecting Jarod’s call. He waited quietly, from the other end he heard the sound of heavy breathing; sobbing. “Jarod. Where are?”

“On the side of the road.” He was able to choke out. “Sidney, why?” Was all he could think to say.

“I don’t know Jarod, I don’t know. People die, it’s a fact of life that we all must face.” Sidney waited to see if Jarod would respond.

“But why? What could be the reason?” He demanded.

“Some times things happen and we can’t see the reason.” Sidney really didn’t know what to say to comfort Jarod.“

”But. Why? Why couldn’t I save her?” Sidney could hear that Jarod as at his breaking point.

“Jarod you just need to relax, find a hotel and get some rest.”

Jarod cut in suddenly “It was my fault!” He shouted angrily. Sidney didn’t know what to say so he said nothing and listened to Jarods’ sobbing on the other end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sidney waited. He didn’t try to find Jarod, he didn’t dare, nor did he think he would get very far if Jarod didn’t want to be found. So he waited for Jarod to call.

~JAROD’S HOTEL ROOM~

“Jarod!” A woman’s voice called. “Turn off that water now, you’re going to give yourself third degree burns!” She demanded.

Jarods eyes darted back and forth through the steam. I don’t believe it! “Parker!” he cried as he turned off the water and flung open the shower curtain. There she was, standing calmly right in front of him. “But you’re…” He started

“Dead?” She asked raising her eyebrows. “No , I’m not.” She responded sweetly.

“But I saw you, you fell.” Jarod protested kneeling against the side of the tub. “No! Now get up. Give me your hand!” She said sternly holding out her hand. Jarod didn’t know what to think, it was possible that she wasn’t dead; with the Centre, anything is possible. But why was she here, why like this? One would think she came to return him to the Centre and she was now trying to keep him off guard. But he saw something in her eyes; her eyes made him trust her. Jarod started to lift himself up and reached out his hand for hers. He blinked, she was gone, and he was taking a header into the floor.

“Ouch, that time I should have known.” He said to himself rubbing the side of his face. This was the third Miss. Parker he’d seen in four days. Three identical women visited him in four days, none of which was the real thing. He knew it was part of the stress, he knew that in time it would stop, that he wouldn’t be chasing ghosts all his life. But part of him didn’t want it to stop, didn’t want her to go away, even if it wasn’t the real Parker. Besides that’s what he had been doing the whole time he was free, wasn’t it? Chasing a ghost of a past that he could barley remember, one that could never be given back. Jarod grabbed a towel and pulled himself to his feet. Drying himself off he thought back on his life of freedom.

Since I’ve got out all I’ve done is help others, but is it helping me? People are always in some kind of danger, people can’t keep control forever; there must be chaos. Sidney taught me that. Why am I so compelled to find the life that I lose so long ago?

“I grew up, I made it out. I am a man now. Lots of grown men don’t have their parents any more. Kids lose their parents to car wrecks, or freak accidents and grow up never knowing the people who gave them life.” Jarod searched through his bag for something to wear finally pulling out a pair of black pants and a black shirt. He thought it was appropriate for the way he was feeling. “ At least I knew my parents, I know who they are, and I know if I stay away they’ll be safe.”

Jarod sat back down on the edge of the still made up bed. Slumped over, he rested his elbows on his knees and looked at his cell phone.

~THE CENTRE~

“This is Sidney.” He had barely let the phone ring he just hoped that Jarod was on the other end. The only response was silence. “Jarod, is that you? Please answer me. Are you alright?” But the line went dead.

“Who was that?” The old man wheezed.

“No one.” Sidney replied truthfully. Raines glared at him and took in another loud breath.

“Remember that finding Jarod is still most important.” Something inside of Sidney snapped but he held on and continued the civil like talk.

“Oh forgive me for mourning the loss of a co-worker, Rains.” Rains walked closer wheeling his oxygen tank along with him.

“Look, we still need Jarod back. That is still your job; with or without Miss. Parker your job is still to bring Jarod back to the Centre.”

Sidney had had enough out of the wheezing demon for the day. “I’m just not sure weather it’s possible any more. We’ve always been able to catch up with him because Jarod has always wanted to be caught up to, always leaving clues, always keeping in contact with either Miss. Parker or myself. But Miss. Parkers… He may fell he no longer has reason to keep in contact for one reason or another. He was already distraught over Zoey’s death now who know how far over the edge he may have been pushed.” Rains just continued to glair Sidney before wheezing loudly once more and squeakily walking away.

~JAROD’S HOTEL ROOM~

A knock at the door brought Jarod out of his stupor. “Mr. Barnes, I thought you might like some fresh sheets and towels.” The old man called from the other side of the door. Still dazed Jarod got up and absent-mindedly answered the door. “Well young man, Jason it is? Took ya a while, been knocking for some time.”

“I’m sorry, I was sleeping.” Jarod lied half-heartedly. The old man looked over at the bed in shock. “Where!? The bathtub? That bed’s barely been sat on.”

“I’ll take the towels.” Jarod said grabbing them from the man who continued to look at him puzzled. The old man walked for the door but then turned back. “I know it’s none a my business but ya seem kinda down young man. Well when I’m feelin’ low I go sit down by the creek, help me calm down.” When Jarod didn’t respond the man reluctantly turned and left. Jarod stood at the window for a while counting the cars that randomly passed. Jarod sighed after the third blue car passed. This wasn’t helping him. Jarod shoved his hand into his bag and blindly searched around until he found his sunglasses.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarod sat back against the tree that grew next to the small creek. It was a beautiful spot but Jarod didn’t feel up to enjoying it. So he just sat there looking into the water. The flowing water was very tranquil and calming but he didn’t to feel calm. If anything he felt sorry, sorry for himself, sorry for her. Contrary to popular belief he had never liked seeing her suffering or hurt. He always thought she should be free: free from the Centre, from a place that destroys the lives of innocent children, free from the memory of her mothers death, and most importantly free from the man who she called daddy.

See I didn’t wish her pain, she just never left me much choice, she wasn’t an innocent child any more, she was my huntress, willing to do Daddy’s bidding, believing his every promise and lie. Jarod looked down into the water, his eyes focused on a rock at the bottom. They didn’t move, they didn’t do anything; they just sat there as the water moved over them. Slowly a reflection began to appear in the water.

“Can’t I even mourn you in peace?” He asked not turning around.

“No.” she simply replied.

“Well what do you want?” He asked impatiently.

“What do you think I want?” Miss. Parker asked.

“To torment me like I tormented you.” He answered.

“No.” she said again. “It’s wasn’t your fault you know.” She continued.

“Because whether you believe me or not I didn’t always find it my job to torment you.”

“I know.” She replied.

“No, you don’t. You’re just a part of my subconscious that wants me to feel better.” He was getting fed up. “Well guess what, it’s not working so why don’t you just go away.” Jarod growled. He saw the image fade in the water “No wait!” He cried remorsefully. But when he turned around she was completely gone.

Jarod locked his jaw and threw his head back against the tree, his eyes fixed up at the sky but not looking at anything at all. Anger was beginning to take over and he let it.

~THE CENTRE~

Sidney had been secretly working with Angelo all morning in hope to get the empath to give him some incite to how Jarod must be feeling. Unfortunately the only thing he had been able to accomplish was making Angelo upset over Miss. Parker’s death.

“It’s ok Angelo.” Sidney assured as two Centre employees came in to bring him back to his room. As Angelo was being escorted out Broots peeked in around the door, Sidney was standing with his back to him. “Come on Jarod, call.” Sidney commanded aloud.

“Uh, Sidney.” Broots said meekly as he entered the room.

“Oh Broots, any sign of Jarod?” He asked hopefully.

“Uh, no sorry Sidney. It just seems like he fell off the map.” Sidney’s face fell as he considered the worst but he quickly recovered. “He has done that before. I’ll call you the moment I get anything.” Broots added helpfully.

Sidney smiled sympathetically. “I know you will Broots.”

Broots started to leave but stopped. “I’ll met you in the parking lot at four.” Broots said. Sidney could see his features sadden. Sidney nodded and Broots walked out of the room.

Sidney’s cell phone rang. “Jarod?” Sidney asked picking up the phone.

“Yes,” he answered, “but I don’t really have anything to say.” Jarod said not really even knowing why he had called.

“I wont tell you anything that you already know.” Sidney said slowly, Jarod knew Sydney was getting at something but he didn’t know what.

“So they found her.” Jarod said not know weather it was a question or a statement.

“No. No Mr. Parker thinks there should be closure.”

“Yet another empty Centre grave.” Jarod said bitterly.

“Are you telling me you don’t know that Miss. Parker’s funeral is today at five in the cemetery on the west end of Blue Cove.” Sidney asked; Jarod just sat on the other end silently before hanging up the phone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarod walked down the hill from his car and stood on the outskirts of the crowd. It was a rather large crowd for a women who seemed to hate everyone in her path. Jarod swallowed hard and let the tears run down his cheek as he made his way through to the front. He placed the flowers on the casket and broke down crying in front of many shocked Centre employees. When the shock had worn off three, maybe more, sweepers grabbed Jarod and dragged his limp unresponsive body to a Centre van. At least that’s how Jarod imagined it looking through his binoculars from a safe distance. At least he could say he went he thought to himself. But this wasn’t mourning, not in any normal sense of the word, no this wasn’t the place. He started the car and pulled back on to the road.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sidney heard the car start but he didn’t turn around, he didn’t need to. He was happy that Jarod had been able to attend Miss. Parker’s funeral at least now he might be able to begin to move on. Sidney reached over and placed his rose on the empty casket, he prayed for the women who he loved like a daughter and he prayed for the man he loved like a son.

~THE CLIFFS~

Jarod walked towards the cliffs, glad at least to be on the ground. He had never been airsick before he thought remembering the look on the face of woman seated next to him when he reached for the airsick bag. He walked around letting his feet decide the path. He stopped instinctively at the cliff, only a little ways up past the spot where Zoey died. He looked around full of anger and hatred.

“I can’t do this any more!” He shouted bitterly to the sky. He had had enough of this feeling. He was ready to just give up and that’s when she appeared. Each time she came she looked different than the last. The first time, in the last suit he saw her in and a red shirt, then a skirt instead of pants, always changing but he couldn’t figure out why. This time a gray shirt and black pants came into view. The tears formed in his eyes at the sight of her. She said nothing, only looked at him. The strain was too much and he fell to his knees crying.

She quickly appeared at his side, he caught a glimpse out of the corner of his eye, he could hear he words, soft and soothing. He let the tears drop as her voice seemed to be farther and farther away. He kept his eyes closed as she comforted him through his tears knowing that when he opened them he would be alone.

Somewhere a child was laughing, two young lovers were kissing, a couple was dancing, and an old woman was smiling, all blissfully unaware of how cruel life could truly be.