Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I do not own the Pretender or any of the characters, they are used without permission.


The Love of the Chase
Part 9
Mr. Cox

by Andrea




When I first started at the Centre, my job was clear. Keep Parker and her brother out of the way.

I had been hired by Mr. Parker in Africa, during the time in which he had been in hiding. His job description to me was clear enough, watch things at the Centre, and report to him what was going on.

Ever since I had learned about the Centre, I had wanted a career there. Because I didn’t want to start out as a Sweeper, and work my way up, I had waited for the right opportunity. I had found it with Mr. Parker. He offered me a position, money, and prestige. All the things I wanted.

When I started, Mr. Lyle introduced me to the pursuit team. Sydney, Broots, and Miss Parker. When I had asked him what each person was like, he had told me about the two men, but the only thing he would say about Parker was: "Parker’s Parker."

I was puzzled, but I didn’t press the subject. I was interested in meeting this woman for myself. And I did.

I heard Parker, after Lyle’s introduction, call me a new "Player." That was an accurate assumption, I think. Lyle then called me a one-man internal affairs department. That’s accurate too.

The moment I saw Parker, I was entranced. I couldn’t wait to get to know her better.

A few weeks passed, and the next time I saw her was when she came to my "office" and confronted me about stalking her.

I, of course, denied any participation.

Miss Parker was contacted by her father once, something I didn’t know about at the time. He asked her to bring him the strongbox I had put in SL-22 in case of an emergency.

I hadn’t known what was in the box; he’d just given it to me, and told me to put in SL-22.

While Lyle ran the Centre, I supervised through the background, making sure that there wasn’t a huge disaster.

After a few months, Mr. Parker contacted me, and said it was time to put our plan in motion.

I started by killing Mutumbo. Then I accused her and Lyle of contacting their father. She covered up her visit with her father well, which I didn’t know about at the time.

Later, I snuck into her house, and planted the Z3 file that identified Brigitte as Mutumbo’s secret killer.

After Parker found Brigitte, and helped her with the birth of the baby, Mr. Parker and I went to the cabin, to finish everything. The gun was planted on Brigitte, and the house was doused in gasoline. Then I torched it.

My job was described to Parker and Lyle as their father’s inside man during his absence.

During his disappearance, I did everything I could to divert Parker from the trail of her father. Mr. Parker awarded me with a position high in the Centre, something I wanted, and new orders.

Now, I follow Miss Parker and her team many times, tracking their process. If she ever manages to catch Jarod, I am to take over, and make sure of his safe delivery. I’ve come to hate Jarod. All his little tips and tricks become very annoying after a while. I can’t wait until Parker manages to catch him, and I can be free, too.





Note: Once again, Mr. Cox’s part was hard to write, because not a lot is known about him. So I just took info, and added what I thought. I hope you liked it anyway.