Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Jarod, Parker, Broots...Own them? I wish! That ingeniusness goes to NBC, though. Also, the song's by Sarah MacLauchlan. Thanx for not suing.


History Repeats, Love Endures
Part II
by Oriana Lemke



2/7


She felt so happy, so peaceful. She was sitting in the sand, with her eyes closed and her alert ears echoing the calming lap of the ocean. She had rested her head on someone's shoulder...she felt her hand being clasped by the person next to her, and their fingers entwined. She released a small sigh of contentment...

"M-Miss Parker?" someone whispered nervously.

She lifted her head off the shoulder...

"Miss Parker, y-you really need to w-wake up," Broots was practically begging. He needed to wake her up, but he was certain that shaking Miss Parker awake was a suicide mission--even if you succeeded, you were gonna get hurt.

She opened her eyes to see who this man was. Who it was offering her such a feeling of love and strength...

Already wincing at the pain he knew he was about to endure, Broots reached out a hesitant hand, and shook Parker's shoulder.

Snapping awake, Miss Parker fought down the momentary sense of alarm she felt--this definitely was not her bedroom. Soon, however, the memories of what she had done that night -or rather, early morning- came to her. Looking around, Parker soon realized that she was still in the room of that little girl, who was sleeping peacefully. Now aware of where she was, Parker could feel anger and annoyment rush over her--of all the dreams to miss...

"I'm s-sorry to wake you up, Miss Parker, but this probably isn't a place you should be." Broots said from behind Parker. She felt indignant at once, but when she turned to look at him, Parker noted the concerned look on his face and found herself deciding whether to snap at him for telling her where she could and could not go, or thank him for retrieving her from an area she had no business in, before she was caught. Not liking either choice, Parker opted for the best emotionless look she could muster.

"I'll be out in a minute," Parker replied coolly, turning back to the girl before Broots could answer. He walked out to wait for her in the hall, but couldn't resisting peaking back inside. He grinned at what he saw: Miss Parker was tucking the covers in around the girl and smiling lightly. Broots knew that smile well enough; it was the same one he had on his face whenever he tucked Debbie in for the night. Closing the door to give them some privacy, Broots was still grinning; maybe Jarod wasn't the only seeing that the Ice Queen had a heart of gold.

~~~~~~~~~

"So how did you know where I was, Broots?"

"Melanie," Broots answered simply. They were standing in Miss Parker's office, waiting for Sydney.

"Melanie? In Security?" Parker knew Broots had a thing for the petite redhead. She hadn't known the feeling was mutual.

"Well, yeah, you know...s-she was just being helpful. She spotted you on one of the cameras, asleep next to that girl, and called me. I'd say you were only out an hour by the time I got here." Broots avoided Parker's unwavering gaze; she hadn't even said thank you, but instead brushed past him and gone home. Now here she was, during business hours, finally asking for an explanation. Parker opened her mouth to reply, but was cut off from Syd hurrying into the room.

"We've got a lead on Jarod."

~~~~~~~~~

"The box was produced here, about 3 years. The company boomed, and bought a larger warehouse. More recently, this building was part of a very interesting investigation centering around a doctor falsifying records. Needless to say, it didn't take a genius to realize that the doctor's apprehension was due to Jarod." As Syd finished his thorough report, Miss Parker continued to snoop around the office they stood in. Everything seemed to be as it should be for a place abandoned three years ago. In fact, if it weren't for the red notebook lying on the floor next to a pile of empty candy wrappers, Parker would be snorting about yet another false lead in a long series of dead ends.

Parker knelt down and picked up the red notebook. Flipping it open, she was greeted by the usual collection of newspaper clippings. As she flipped through the articles with a look of infinite boredom, something fell from the notebook and fell soundlessly to the floor. Her interest piqued, Parker reached down and plucked up what turned out to be a photo. It showed an older nurse holding a young girl. Parker's eyes narrowed as she looked closer at the girl, but soon grew wide in recognition. It was the same blond child now in a recovery unit inside the Centre. Turning the photograph around, Parker found a short message written in Jarod's familiar penmanship:
Thanks to the Centre security cams, I see that you've met my little friend.
She was stolen from her parents a year ago. Angello's been keeping her company.
Her name is Emily. I thought you might want a permanent keepsake of her.
At this rate, she'll die soon.

Parker felt her heart clench. She knew that Jarod was right, Emily wouldn't make it much longer. Glancing up, Parker noted that Syd still had his back to her, and Broots was still in another room. Quietly, Parker tucked the photo into the inside pocket of her form-fitting black business jacket. The photo wasn't really necessary, Parker knew, but she had this strong need to keep some piece of Emily near her.

~~~~~~~~~

"Syd, we need to talk." It was late, and only a few dimmed lights illuminated the inside of one of the Centre's private jets. Broots was curled up, fast asleep and softly snoring. Sydney had been typing something up on his laptop, while Parker looked out her window without really noticing the clouds or stars. The words had popped out of her mouth before even Parker knew what she was doing. Still, once the words were out, the urge she felt to talk to Syd about this overwhelmed her. Sydney glanced up, and politely awaited whatever was on Miss Parker's mind.

"What do you know about the Endeavor project?" It was blunt, and straight to the point. After all, at this point it wasn't a question of if, but how much Syd knew. All projects that included child experimentation had him involved in some way. A look of mild surprise came across his face, but lasted only a second. Of course Miss Parker would know something about the Endeavor project. Even in a place like the Centre, rumors were bound to start, and Parker was a great investigator. It was one of the many things that made up the strong woman he was so proud of.

"What would you like to know?"

"I know that it's started. It's not just a proposal anymore. And I know that at least one innocent child is being hurt because of it," Parker could hear the anger in her own voice, but didn't care. "What is the Endeavor project, Syd? What are they trying to accomplish?" Sighing, Sydney typed a few commands on his laptop, and turned the computer so that the screen was facing Parker. The light of the machine cast an eerie glow across her face, and accented ever angle of her face. As Parker read on, Syd could see her face change from disgust to anger. It was the exact look Parker had worn upon learning that Brigitte was going to marry her father.

"I've got to get Emily out of there." Sydney looked at Parker with a look of shock and concern. How could she know about Emily? And what did she mean, get Emily out?

"Miss Parker-" Sydney started gently.

"I'm getting her out, Syd. Either help me, or stay the hell out of my way."

"Even if he won't, I will." Broots volunteered quietly. Parker and Sydney glanced over to the man who had just spoken. "You'd be surprised, the kind of stuff that comes across my desk sometimes. I read the original proposal when it first came up. I didn't think even the Centre was capable of such a thing. I mean, everyone's got limits, right? But here we are. What they're doing is wrong. It makes me sick. I'll do whatever it takes to help get her out of that place."

~~~~~~~~~

It had been two in the morning when they arrived back in Blue Cove. After quietly agreeing to meet at her place at seven the next night to discuss their plan of action, everyone had gone their separate ways.

Miss Parker sat on her couch, wearing silk pajamas and staring at the photo of Emily. There was a small, but determined, voice in the back of her head still insisting that she ignore this whole mess, and just go on with her so-called life. Her mind was made up though. Parker knew firsthand what it was like to grow up in the Centre.

"I'll be damned if I'll let them raise you like they tried to raise me," she whispered to the photograph.

"At least one of us is able to hope that she'll live long enough for them to raise her." The dry comment, hinting at anger, startled Parker, but her well-trained mind forbid her to jump or shriek. Instead she simply turned her head towards Jarod's voice. He stood in the shadows in a corner of her living room, calmly regarding Parker while noting with interest that she didn't reach for her gun.

Miss Parker stood and walked over to Jarod, stopping only a foot or so away. She looked him straight in the eye, and as Jarod met her gaze he saw in those blue eyes -somehow not as icy anymore- the intelligence and vehemence he remembered so clearly from their shared childhood moments. She only stared for a moment, obviously debating whether this was even a safe idea, telling him their plans. The voice at the back of her head was screaming, 'Are you insane?! Go for your gun, take him down, do your duty and get your freedom!!'

Despite the mental turmoil, she spoke, her voice much more steady than she felt. Even as the words came out, Parker was impressing herself at their smooth flow, each word certain and determined, but obviously spoken with care: "The Endeavor Project is headed by Mr. Raines. A scientist in England, Dr. Hewllin, was paid millions to find a way to change a child without as many genetic requirements into a Pretender. He succeeded. All information, research and such, is kept in SL26 at the Centre. As long as the child is no older than four when they start, it's believed to work without a glitch. The procedure is expensive and takes three years to form a full-fledged Pretender. Or so they think. Emily is the first human test subject. She's four, and gone through a year so far at the Centre. She handled it well until about two months ago, when they increased the speed of the procedure. Mr. Raines got impatient, and wanted results sooner. Mentally, speeding it up worked at first--she went from understanding Mrs. PiggleWiggle to reading Moby Dick in a week. Physically, though, it was too much of a strain. At-" Parker's voice tightened a little, but she forced herself to go on. "At 4:30 Thursday, Emily lost consciousness in her cell. She was rushed to the infirmary, where they confirmed that she was suffering from brain inflamation and heart failure. Mr. Raines inten-" Her voice choked for a moment with unshed tears, but she pushed herself to speak. "He intends to continue the procedure with Emily, despite reports from the doctors and scientists that continuing will mean that she'll die within a matter of days." Despite her control, a single warm tear slid down her cheek.

"I know," Jarod whispered. He was just as pained as she was, but he could tell how difficult it was for her to accept this side of the Centre, a place she had been taught to protect. He would have to be strong for them both. They had been separated as children, forced to become enemies, but right now all that was important was helping Emily. Together. They were stronger as a group of four, then as two separate rescue missions.

"We will get her out of there," Parker insisted softly. She sounded certain, but her blue eyes were silently imploring Jarod to promise her that it was true.

"Yes. We're going to free her. Together. I swear it. We will succeed."

They stood staring, finding silent comfort in each other's gaze. Each offering the other refuge. They stood there in the shadows, the hunter and her prey.