Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Jarod, Parker, Broots...Own them? I wish! That ingeniusness goes to NBC, though. Also, the song's by Sarah MacLauchlan. Thanx for not suing.


History Repeats, Love Endures
Part V
by Oriana Lemke



5/7

Their first night at the factory, Jarod had disappeared sometime around six, giving no more explanation than 'going out for air.' When Broots returned with dinner an hour later, Syd set off in search of him.

He finally found him, sitting on the roof of the building, staring out at the stars. Sydney sat down next to him, allowing Jarod a few more moments of solitude before speaking.

"How are you, Jarod?"

"I'm fine."

"I don't think so. You've saved a girl from near death. That's not easy on anyone. And finding Miss Parker like that... " Syd took a deep breath to steady himself. Seeing Jarod carrying Parker away from the Centre had numbed his mind. "...Well, it would be hard on anyone."

"I really don't want to talk about this."

"Not now, but eventually you will, and... " Syd hesitated, unsure if he was crossing the line. Awkwardly, he placed a hand on Jarod's back. "This isn't the Centre. No one's here to judge you. To analyze your every move. It's just me, ready to listen...whenever. I'm here for you."

"Now. Where were you when I was young, Syd. Where was this fatherly attention then?" It was a low blow, he knew, but Jarod just wanted Syd to leave him alone.

"I deserved that. But it doesn't change matters, Jarod. I'm here for you. We all are." Syd stood up, and walked away.

Jarod sat for a few more minutes, lost in his thoughts. Finally, he got up with a slight sigh, and headed down to the others, slowly making his way down the stairs connected to the side of the building. He stopped, however, at the last metal step, and sat down. A foreign sound echoed in Jarod's ear: the beautiful music of Parker's laugh.

"Parker...the one mess I can't pretend my way out of." A rather silly grin spread across Jarod's face. "The one mess I don't want to pretend my way out of." He stood up, and headed inside.

In the makeshift kitchen, boxes of Chinese food had been spread out. At the table sat Broots, Syd, Parker and Emily, all joking and teasing.

Like a family, Jarod thought. He leaned on the doorframe, with his arms folded and still wearing the same grin.

~~~~~~~~~

"Do you think Jarod will like the gift I got for him?"

"Are you kidding? Anyone that gets Jarod a Pez dispenser he doesn't have yet, is guaranteed to be a friend for life." Emily gave Parker a happy smile, then began to eagerly look out the window at the approaching factory. The shopping excursion had been a good idea, Parker decided as she pulled up the old building. Not only had they gotten Emily some desperately needed new clothes -Debbie's things were a bit too big for her- but the few hours away from dark, serious atmosphere of the factory seemed to do the girl a lot of good.

"Okay," Parker said cheerfully as she pulled the car up the entrance, "Let's get your stuff, so we can go show Jarod his surprise." Emily grabbed a shopping bag from the back seat, then jumped out of the car and ran inside. Parker shook her head in amusement before getting the other bags and heading for the large metal door. Struggling with keeping the bags balanced, she managed to get the door open and slip inside.

"Hey, where is everybody?" Emily called from the middle of the large, empty room. She was looking around her in confusion, not understanding where Jarod and the others could have gone without a car. As for Parker, alarms were going off in her head. She moved protectively next to Emily, quietly taking her .9mm Baretta from its place beneath her business suit. Spotting the weapon, Emily's eyes grew wide in fright, but she didn't say a word. Parker silently thanked the young girl for being smart enough not to make any noise. Something wasn't right, and the last thing they needed to do was attract attention to themselves. With her gun in one hand, and Emily's hand in the other, Parker cautiously made her way through the all-too-quiet corridors of the factory, searching the rooms that had been arranged as living quarters for the five.

Nothing.

Parker's well-trained mind calmed the fear stirring in her thoughts, but she kept Emily right next to her side, just to be safe.

It was then that she spotted the shadows of three, obviously armed, men through a nearby wall-length window. Parker pressed Emily against the wall, and clicked the safety off her gun. She was no idiot--Parker knew that those sweepers would have taken care of the car by now. There was no escape, at least not without gunfire, which definitely wasn't an option; she had a young girl with her, and as for Jarod, Syd and Broots... Parker's heart crumbled as she realized that if they had been captured, they probably weren't alive.

Parker knelt down, so that she was eye-to-eye with Emily. The young girl was trying her best to brave, but she couldn't keep her chin from quivering. Parker could feel her own eyes water, but she forced her voice to remain strong and certain.

"Okay, Emily, listen to me. In a few seconds, we're going to go back outside and down into the ditch next to the road. It's very important that when I tell you to, you run as quickly and quietly as you can, okay? Do you understand?" Emily nodded, her eyes still wide with fright.

"Okay...now!" Not letting go of the child's hand, they raced down the corridor to the big metal door. Barely slowing down, Parker thrust open the door and continued to move on.

Within seconds they were hidden in the deep ditch next to the gravel road. Parker checked behind them, but the sweepers seemed to be unaware of their escape. At least, there weren't any armed men in sight. Turning around, she kneeled back down to Emily's height, glancing her over once to be sure that the girl was all right. Now came the hard part. A lump formed in Parker's throat, and for a moment all she could was look at the innocent child in front of her.

It was then that Parker realized she couldn't leave. Now without knowing what had happened to the others. To Sydney and Broots. To Jarod. If they were still in there, if they were still, somehow, alive...Words were coming out of Parker's mouth before she was even aware of them.

"Emily, do you remember Jarod's friend? The one that lives in the blue house, three blocks from the end of this dirt road?" Emily nodded, thinking back to what Jarod had told her the night before, when he had driven her up the same house: 'If anything goes wrong, if we're hurt or you're in trouble, you come right here, Emily. My friend Mr. Crawford knows we're in town, so he'll be expecting you. Day or night, if anything happens, you come straight here, understand?'

"Emily--" Parker's voice choked for a minute, as her tears began to slip down her cheeks. God, this was too much for one girl! "Emily, now I want you to listen to me, okay? I want you to run there. I want you to run there as fast as you can, and don't stop, no matter what." Parker thought of the horrible scene the sweepers could make with a target like herself. "You keep running, and no matter what you see, no matter what you hear, don't ever look back, do you understand?" She grabbed Emily's shoulders to emphasize. "You never stop running!" Emily nodded again, her eyes welling but not shedding tears. She made herself be strong, like Miss Parker.

"Go!" And she was off, going as fast as her legs would carry her, through the ditch, down the long stretch to the end of the dirt road. Parker could only stand there and watch. She watched Emily, until the young girl was a small dot nearing the end of the ditch. Then Parker turned back to face the factory, and forced herself to take a deep breath. She slipped into her Take No Prisoners/I Am Invincible attitude, and walked back to the building vehemently.

"I swear," she muttered under her breath, "If any of them have been hurt, someone's going to pay." With a firm grasp on her gun, Parker moved alongside the stone wall, in search of the nearest sweeper.

~~~~~~~~~

His head was spinning. Pain was shooting through his left arm, and blood had made its way from the bullet wound -a small graze, but still pretty damn painful- down to the tips of his fingers. And lying on the cold cement floor wasn't doing much for his aching back. Just how many times did that guy hit me with his gun, Jarod wondered.

Weakly, he sat up, causing even more pain to radiate through his battered body. He tried to ignore it, instead focusing on checking Sydney and Broots. The latter was propped up against the nearby wall, rubbing a bruised spot on his head and muttering. As for Sydney, he was actually standing, staring out a window carefully, as if searching for something.

"It would seem I'm the only one they took the pleasure of beating senseless," Jarod half-heartedly joked. He stood, refusing to wince, and headed over to Syd. Realizing that they should probably be forming a plan, now that their own personal genius was up and walking on his own, Broots joined the others.

"They've locked the door, and we're six stories up," Sydney informed the others. "There are two cars parked down there, which means a sweeper team of about ten."

"W-why haven't they taken us anywhere yet?" Broots spoke up. "Please don't say we've conveniently let them catch us in a place where no one would find us."

"There is that possibility," Jarod mused, "But if that were the case, they would have killed us already. My guess would be, they're keeping us alive because we're the only ones that know where Emily and Miss Parker are."

"I saw a sweeper earlier, checking the grounds. They must believe that we've hidden the two somewhere close."

"S-so, what's the plan?" Broots asked the two. "We do have a plan, right?" Sydney and Jarod looked at each other, and Broots could practically hear their minds at work.

"If we're lucky, Parker won't be back with Emily for awhile," Syd pointed out.

"If we were lucky, they wouldn't have found us in the first place," Jarod said. He began glancing around, examing first the door, then the windows. "We need to get out of here. We know which mall they're at, so all we need to do is get them, then leave town." He paused at the farthest window, and slid it open. "We're going to have to climb out."

"Cl-climb? As in, down six floors?" Broots stuttered. There was no way he'd make it even one story.

"The stairs leading to the roof pass us, about four feet below the window. I'll go first. Broots, you follow, and Syd can go last."

"When we get out of here," Broots said to Syd, as Jarod went through the open windowframe, "remind me to never agree to a hideout with more than one floor."

~~~~~~~~~

Parker could hear the sweeper, as she moved slowly along the north wall. She peered around the corner, and spotted a door closing. Parker also noticed two black cars parked in front of the east side of the building.

"One against ten," she murmured. "I'd say the odds are in my favor."

"Four against ten would be better," pointed out a familiar voice from behind her. Stunned, Parker spun around, keeping her gun level.

"Lyle," Parker said through clenched teeth.

"As I was saying," Lyle said, pausing to smile at her gun, as if humored by the fact that she was ready to shoot him, "Your chances would be much better, if you were with your friends. Actually, I suppose three against ten would be more accurate. I doubt your Wonder Boy has regained consciousness yet." Parker's eyes narrowed as her blood began to boil.

"What did you do to him?" Lyle only smiled, and walked a few feet closer to his sister.

"Just following orders. Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it."

~~~~~~~~~

While Parker was occupied with Lyle on the north side of the factory, Jarod and the others were making their way, as quietly as they could, down the stairs on the far side of the east wall.

They leaned against the brick wall, listening for any nearby sweepers. Jarod studied the two cars for a moment, before turning to face Sydney and Broots.

"Time to put to use one of the greatest talents I've gained since I got free."

"What's that?" Broots whispered.

"Hot-wiring a car."

~~~~~~~~~

"Where is he?" Parker hissed.

"If I were you, I'd be worrying about myself. You're not exactly the Centre's most valued employee right now. In fact, you've managed to tick off quite a few important people."

"My heart's breaking," Parker bit back sarcastically.

"Our dear old dad was positive that you'd been brainwashed or something. Though you must admit, it's rather ironic how you turned out so much like our mother--you free the little tike, and get shot in front of the same elevator. Personally, I found that little scene a stroke of sheer genius--Brigitte just couldn't pass up the chance to kick your butt--"

"You mean to tell me that I was shot by that blond bitch?" Of all the insults, that had to be the worst.

"Well, yes, while I kept Jarod busy and you were distracted by a sweeper in black getup. But let's just keep that our little secret, shall we? Can't have the head of the Parker clan thinking his own wife isn't trustworthy."

"I've had enough of this. I'll deal with Brigitte later. Now, where is Jarod?"

"I'll make a deal with you. You tell me where Emily is, and I let you slip away with lover boy."

"Here's a better deal--you tell me where Jarod is," Parker took a step closer to Lyle, "and I don't shoot you." Lyle just smiled, that arrogrant grin that always got to her.

"Come now. We both know you could never shoot your own brother."

~~~~~~~~~

A single shot rang in Jarod's ears, as the three ducked down instinctively. They glanced around, trying to determine it's origin, and Jarod fought down a feeling of panic. What if the sweepers had gotten Parker, he wondered frantically. Emily was too valuable to the Centre, but Parker was expendable.

Jarod was up and running before Sydney and Broots could gather their wits. He forced his legs to move as quickly as they could, covering the long track of space making up the east wall in a matter of seconds...

And nearly ran into Parker, who had turned to head in his direction. For a moment, neither spoke, instead choosing to revel in each other's presence. A groan broke Jarod out of his reverie, and he peered around Parker's shoulder to see Lyle sprawled out on the ground. With a bullet in his leg, he wouldn't be getting anywhere very quickly.

"We've got to get out of here," Parker said, already hurrying to the nearest car. "You heard that shot, there's no doubt that the sweepers did too." She slid into the driver's seat, and reached down. When the other three had gotten inside the car, they watched as she quickly and expertly hot-wired the car. She turned to look at Jarod in the passenger's seat, smiling at his impressed expression.

"Buckle your seatbelts, boys. I'm driving."

~~~~~~~~~

The squeal of tires brought a few curses to Lyle's lips. A sweeper came running around the corner, in search of the source of the gunshot.

"She shot me!" Lyle seemed to be in complete shock.

"Where is she, sir?"

"They've already escaped."

"They, sir? How?"

"Does it really matter?!" Scowling, Lyle struggled to his feet, limping towards the nearest door. He reached for the doorknob--only to be struck square in the head as the metal door swung open, resulting in a string of curses. Another sweeper stepped out into the sun.

"Sorry, sir. You okay?"

~~~~~~~~~

"Are you all right?" Jarod asked, as they sped down the gravel road towards Mr. Crawford's house.

"Fine. That half-wit couldn't hurt me if he wanted to," Parker smiled. "What about you?"

"Fine."

"You're not fine, Jarod," came Sydney's voice. Parker's brow creased in concern as she checked Jarod over with her eyes. For the first time, she saw the dried blood on his hands.

"Jarod?"

"I'm fine," Jarod reassured her. "It's just a flesh wound." Her concerned look didn't budge. "I'm fine."

"I'll argue with you later. Right now, we need to get Emily and get out of here."

~~~~~~~~~

Outside, crickets were chirping in the night. A lone car was making its way down the two-lane highway leading to Chicago. Inside, three of the five passengers were sound asleep; Sydney and Broots were managing to doze in the backseat, while Emily lay nestled in Parker's lap up front.

Jarod allowed his eyes to sneak over to the passenger's seat for a moment, pleased with the picture he saw--the two had begun to bond, he was happy to note. It was amazing Emily had even let herself sleep, Jarod realized. Since they had retrieved her from Mr. Crawford, the young girl hadn't once let go of Parker's hand.

Parker felt someone's eyes on her, and turned her head to catch a glimpse of Jarod watching her, before he quickly returned his sight to the road. She allowed herself a tiny smile Jarod didn't even notice, but made no mention of catching his eyes on her.

"I gather from the road signs," Parker whispered, not wishing to awaken Emily, "that we're heading for Chicago." Jarod nodded in confirmation.

"I have a friend that lives there. He's on his honeymoon right now, in Cancun, and won't be returning for another week or so. He's planning on leasing his apartment then, since his wife has a house in the suburbs, so he offered it to me." Jarod grinned as he realized that he was finally returning Parker to the city, where she would no doubt be much happier than some grimy old factory. "I think you'll approve--it's large, furnished tastefully, and has a great view of the city, especially at night." He himself stifled a yawn, then added, "Did I mention the wonderfully large and comfortable beds he has?"

"It should be like a family trip," Parker said a few minutes later, when the thought came to her.

"What?"

"Emily's been through a lot--hell, we all have. And Debbie would be much safer with us than her aunt, as long as we figure out a good way to get her here without being seen. We could take the girls to a few museums, the movies, out to dinner... Shopping would be an absolute must, of course... I'd say we've all earned a little fun, and what would make a better cover than a regular family on vacation?" She really is getting attached to Emily, Jarod thought. She actually sounds excited about this family trip idea. Happy to see Parker so eager about something, Jarod was more than willing to go along.

"Sure," he said, smiling at Parker. "It sounds great."

~~~~~~~~~

When they finally arrived in Chicago early the next evening, Parker -who hadn't had the time for a wink of sleep since the factory incident- was beyond exhaustion. Her mind was fuzzy, and it took everything she had just to stay awake. She was vaguely aware of Jarod parking in front of a building, and seeing Sydney and Broots lead Emily inside. Jarod must have known how weary she was, because he chose to ignore the bags for the time being, instead holding the door open and beckoning her inside. She gratefully headed for the door.

A slight giggle caught Jarod's attention as he held the door, and he glanced behind him to notice a family of three walking down the sidewalk. The child, a girl about 5 years old with red pigtails, was giggling has she tugged a helium balloon behind her. The parents, a couple around the same age as Parker and himself, were holding hands and smiling lovingly at the child, then each other. Realizing that Parker was probably already waiting for him at the elevator, and in her light-headed state probably hadn't heard him mention the apartment number earlier, Jarod walked into the building. Sure enough, Parker stood outside the elevator doors.

As Jarod reached Parker, he heard cheerful whistling, and noticed a man carrying a basket of laundry down the hall. Wanting to give the right impression, he thought back to the couple outside, and reached down for Parker's hand. The man walked by, smiling at the couple. As he carried his laundry basket towards his own apartment, he marveled at how happy the young man at the elevator had seemed. Of course, the man thought as he chuckled, having a girl with looks like that would put a smile on any man's face.

Back at the elevator, Parker slowly realized that she wasn't dreaming, that someone really was grasping her hand. She glanced in confusion at Jarod, who immediately wiped the happy grin off his face.

Neither said a word about it, but neither bothered to will their hand loose.

After all, they both justified in their minds at the same time, the more realistic the better. They were doing this because they had to keep cover. Really.

~~~~~~~~~

They had separated hands quickly enough when the elevator doors slid open to reveal Broots waiting out in the hall. He'd had his back turned to them, but both had guilty looks nonetheless.

The moment she got inside, Parker headed for the nearest bedroom. She didn't say a word to anyone, instead saving what energy she didn't even know she had left to make it under the covers. Unbeknownst to her, Jarod followed.

She was already falling asleep when she was positive she heard someone whisper, "Sleep well. If you need anything...well, I'm in the room right next to you." The door clicked shut, and Parker surrendered to her dreams.

~~~~~~~~~

"Just what the hell were you thinking?"

"Daddy, please, try to understand, I--"

"You betrayed us, that's what you did."

"Daddy, I didn't betray you. I was protecting--"

"Jarod. You were protecting Jarod. What did you think, that I would just let this slide? That I would be leniant, merely because you're my daughter?" A picture was forming, to mix with the words: Jarod, on the ground and barely conscious. Blood everywhere. God, what had they done to him?

"Daddy, if you would just listen to me--"

"No more listening. It's time for this to come to an end."

She saw the gun. She saw it aimed towards Jarod. She couldn't think, just act. Parker raced across the room, hoping to come between Jarod and the bullet she knew would be shot.

"Jarod, run!" The panicked scream of a sleeping Parker echoed through all the rooms, jolting Jarod out of his own dreams. While the others were still waking up and looking around their rooms with bleary eyes, confused about the noise, he was already in the bedroom next to his, sitting on the edge of the bed close to Parker, who was whimpering.

"Parker," Jarod whispered into her ear. "Parker, come on, wake up." A pair of eyes shot open, blue met brown, and Parker burst into tears. She leaned into him, and he wrapped his arms around her; with every sob his chest muffled, Jarod could feel his heart break even more.

It was a sign of weakness, she knew, and her pride would feel the blow later, no doubt, but at that moment all that mattered was being near him.

"You were gone," Parker managed in a quivering voice, the sound of a gunshot still echoing in her mind. "He killed you."

"I'm here. I'm right here," he assured her in a soothing voice. She wrapped her arms tightly around Jarod, not wanting to ever let go. "I'm not going anywhere."

"Promise me."

"I swear it."

Broots and Syd exchanged a glance that said it all: Space. They definently need space. So they gathered up Emily, who was still rubbing her eyes, and headed towards the door.

"We'll just go get some breakfast," Syd clarified in a low voice. Jarod, who sat facing them, nodded while he continued to hold Parker. He began to rub her hair, and slowly rock back and forth.