Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Jarod, Parker, Broots...Own them? I wish! That ingeniusness goes to NBC, though. Also, the song's by Sarah MacLauchlan. Thanx for not suing.



History Repeats, Love Endures
Part IV
by Oriana Lemke



4/7


"You realize, of course, that you just passed our exit?"

"I know, I know. I'm turning around up here."

"You know, that billboard is starting to look awfully familiar."

"Well, they say third time's a charm, but in our case, let's just hope it's the fifth."

"Broots, are you sure you don't want me to drive?"

"Nah, I'm fine, Syd. Besides, you've been driving longer than I have. I'm sure I'll catch the right exit this time, then it's only about 20 minutes to that resort Jarod mentioned." At the sound of his name, Jarod shifted slightly, but didn't wake up. While Broots and Sydney took up the two front seats, Jarod and Miss Parker slept in the back, with Emily tucked snugly between them. Syd turned slightly in his seat to look back at the dozing three, and smiled at the sight.

"How're they doing back there?"

"Fine. We'll have to stop soon, though. Miss Parker hasn't changed her bandage in over four hours. She has to rest, but that wound needs constant tending."

"All I know is, you're gonna be the one to wake her. She's still got a gun," Broots said determinedly. Syd shook his head, smiling.

"I'll wake her," came a soft voice from the back seat. Syd glanced back at Jarod. "Once we get to the resort. For now, just let her sleep."

"How's Emily?" Syd asked quietly. Jarod placed a hand gently on the young girl's forehead, and smiled.

"She's not nearly as warm as she was a few hours ago. I think she's gonna be okay. Hey, wasn't that our exit just now?"

"Damn."

~~~~~~~~~

Miss Parker was vaguely aware of someone lifting her, but she was far too tired to oppose to being carried. It took too much energy just to open her eyes. Her only thought, a rather foggy and far-off one, was that whoever this was, was warm and rather comfortable.

Jarod glanced down at his precious bundle. Broots, with fatherly insistance, had gathered up Emily and headed for the elevator that led to their rented penthouse. Syd had followed with the luggage, filling up the open space of the elevator. So Jarod waited for the elevator to come back down.

It was late, nearly two in the morning. They had driven a day to reach this beachfront spot in Virginia, careful to stop only in secluded areas. Parker had insisted that bandages weren't necessary, but a dizzy spell that left her near-faint around six this morning had only made Jarod more determined. He glanced down again at Parker, cradled securely in his arms, then let his gaze wonder to her wound. Jarod's heart skipped a beat as he thought back to finding her, unconscious and bleeding on the floor. Finding that the shot had only grazed her brow had sent an undescribable surge of relief through him, but he hadn't lost the need to stay close to her. Jarod had this fear that if he let her out of his sight for just a moment, she would be gone forever..

Parker sighed slightly, and cuddled closer to Jarod, getting a small grasp on his black t-shirt, exposed beneath a black leather jacket. The elevator doors slowly opened, and Jarod entered, pressing the appropriate button before replacing his arm underneath Parker's shoulders.

~~~~~~~~~

It had been a glorious sunrise, with yellow and pink reflecting on the blue ocean. The crashing waves and cries of seagulls were music to Sydney and Broots' ears, as they sat on the large balcony sipping coffee. Upon waking, Emily hadn't spoken a word, but climbed into one of the patio chairs, reached for a small plate of Mickey Mouse pancakes and fruit -ordered by Broots especially for her- and ate, stopping once and awhile to watch a nearby seagull. She did, however, reward both Broots and Syd with a bright grin when they passed her a fork and a cup of orange juice. Having her fill, Emily pushed the plate back a little, and scooted out of her chair, heading inside the main room. She stopped at a plush love seat and sat, cross-legged with one hand propped under her chin. Syd followed the girl's line of sight from his place out on the balcony, realizing that she glancing back and forth between the doors leading to Jarod and Miss Parker's rooms. She's watching over them, Syd realized.

A door clicked open, and Jarod entered the room, rubbing his eyes and the back of his neck. He had been exhausted last night-- after tucking Parker into a large bed inside the master bedroom, he'd stopped only to collect his own duffel bag from a small pile of luggage before retreating to the closest bedroom. It wasn't until he'd slipped under the covers that Jarod realized he'd picked the room right next to Parker's. Better yet, they were adjoining.

Emily's position didn't change, but her eyes lit up when she saw Jarod. He grinned back, and sat down next to her.

"Waiting for Miss Parker?" Emily nodded, her eyes moving back to the bedroom door.

"Want some company?" She smiled in response, but kept her eyes locked on the door. Jarod realized that Parker may not be up for another few hours. He also realized that Emily would probably stay here waiting that entire time.

"How about we look at the comics while we wait." He didn't wait for an answer, but got up and walked out to the patio table. Jarod exchanged 'Good morning' greetings with Broots and Syd as he dug through the paper, then walked back inside. He spread open the comics section and laid down on the floor. Emily contemplated for a moment, then crawled down from the love seat to a spot near Jarod. He picked something up from a nearby coffee table.

"Pez?"

~~~~~~~~~

Parker groggily came to. Her head was throbbing. She sat up in bed, amid the tangle of comforter and sheets, and glanced around her room. A hotel room, obviously, but a nice one. Much more like she was used to, not the dirty rat traps her race for Jarod often left her in. Sunlight was streaming in through a set of balcony doors, illuminating Parker's face and warming her skin. She sat up in bed and stretch her arms, sighing in contentment. This was great.

The rustle of a newspaper from another room caught her attention. Jarod and the others. Judging from the sun outside it was around eight in the morning. Between last night and most of yesterday's car ride, she'd certainly had enough sleep. It was time to face the others--they still had to figure out where to go from here. Parker moved reluctantly out of bed, finding a pair of slippers left conveniently next to the bed and a robe hanging from a hook on the closet door. As she headed to the door leading to the main room, Parker spotted another door to her far right. Adjoining rooms, Parker thought. I wonder who's sleeping so close to me? Close...that word brought up some interesting thoughts. Like whoever had carried her up here last night. And Jarod.

"Jarod," Parker murmered in slight amazement. "Why is it everything in my life has to do with him?" She stood, paused at the door, not really sure why she was so hesitant. "What is the matter with me? I've got to be losing my mind." Parker opened the door vehemently, and walked out into the main room.

At the sound of her door opening, Jarod and Emily looked up, and Parker was greeted with two bright, grinning faces. She wasn't sure which was happier to see her.

Jarod was pleased to see the new-born excitement bubbling across the young girl's features. She climbed eagerly over the sprawled-out figure of Jarod, and reached for a small plastic toy placed on carpet near the coffee table.

"Pez?"

"Jarod, you've brainwashed her."

~~~~~~~~~

"Jarod, you look exhausted. Pull over, I'll drive."

"I'm fine."

"No you're not. Now would you pull over?"

"No."

"Yes."

"Not gonna happen."

"Wanna bet?"

"It's odds I'd take in Vegas."

"You need to relax."

"No, I don't."

"Yes, you do," Jarod insisted. They continued their bickering, neither really caring about who won but both having too much fun to give in.

"Jeez," Broots muttered from the back seat, "You'd think they were married."

"What?!" Both Jarod and Parker cried in surprise at the same time. Emily just smiled.

"Uh...you know, in a good way." Broots stuttered.

"Nice save," Syd whispered when Parker and Jarod had turned their attention back to the road. Up front, Jarod glanced at Parker from the corner of his. She was gazing out the window, oblivious to Jarod's attention. He looked back at the road in front of him, and smiled.

~~~~~~~~~

Two more hours of driving found the group pulling up to an old factory at the edge of Charlotte, just as the sun was setting. The jolts of the car as it drove along the gravel road brought Emily and Parker out of their naps.

"Not exactly another penthouse, I know," Jarod apologized, noting the unhappy look that crossed Parker's face, although he was happy to see that she wasn't obnoxiously pointing out the fact that she was displeased. "Since this place closed down, no one even drives down the connecting road anymore, so we should be safe here for a few days. Plenty of time for you to heal," he couldn't help adding, not even aware of how strong the concerned glance he shot Parker was.

"I don't need to heal," Parker insisted, "but Emily deserves a few consecutive hours of sleep." Parker stopped talking, watching as the young girl climbed out of the car. "Besides," she continued once Emily was inside the factory, "Staying in one place for a few days can't hurt. Closest thing to stability we can offer her now."

"Unfortunately, we can't get relaxed right away. I've got to point out the escapte routes," Jarod reasoned. Parker frowned, and glanced out her window to where Emily had entered the factory. "I know, I don't like it anymore than you do. But we have to keep this real to her."

"They nearly killed her," Parker snapped. "We're dragging her around the East Coast. She doesn't even know where her parents are. Damn it, Jarod, her childhood's been screwed beyond repair. This is as real as it gets."