Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Love and a 9mm
Part 1
A Change of Heart

by Miss Houk








The Centre
Sub-Level 27
Blue Cove, Delaware


"Jarod! Get out! There's a bomb!" Sydney yelled, his voice reverberating off the steel walls of Sub-Level 27.

Jarod, Miss Parker, Raines, Mr. Parker, and Willie all stared at them from the other end of the corridor, stunned. A silent
moment passed between them, when suddenly, they heard the unmistakable sounds of doors being blown off their hinges from the force of the bomb's blast, the fire rushing toward them. Jarod stared at Sydney, believing he would never again see the man who played such a major role in his life; the man who played the part of his father after he was stolen from his family. Jarod's eyes communicated everything to Sydney that he wanted him to know: How much he loved him, and that he had Jarod's forgiveness.

Jarod turned swiftly to Miss Parker and looked into her eyes. For the first time since their childhood, he saw feeling in her eyes; not the familiar anger and remoteness that usually dominated her icy blue eyes. In that fleeting instant, he understood her. He understood why she had become so hard, so bitter, so driven. For the first time in his life, he prayed to God, the God widely accepted on faith, and prayed that they survived this. There were so many things he wanted to tell her, so many regrets he had for stringing her along all those months and for all of the dirty tricks he played on her. He drank in her exquisite existence one last time and looked into her eyes once more, now ready to die, if that was meant to be. The feeling was fleeting when he noticed the look of sheer panic in her eyes; eyes that begged him to get them all out of this.

"Jarod." she whispered, her voice panicked.

He felt a rush of wind behind him. Acting on survival instinct alone, he grabbed Parker's hand and ran. As they passed Raines, her father, and Willie, she quickly reached out and grabbed her father's arm, pulling him along behind them. He did little more than slow them down, however, Jarod managed to find a small, unlocked room for shelter at the end of another corridor in Sub-Level 27. He dragged Parker and her father into the room, and slammed the steel door behind them.

"Is everyone O.K.?" he shouted, hoping they could hear him over the rushing wind and flames.

"Jarod?" Miss Parker whimpered, once all had fallen silent.

"It's all right." Jarod murmured gently, pulling her shaking form into his arms.

"Get your hands off of her!" Mr. Parker growled weakly.

"Shut up, daddy." she mumbled, inwardly resisting Jarod's comfort, but unable to tear herself away from him, because she needed his comfort.

"Get away from him, angel." Mr. Parker ordered.

"Shut up!" she shrieked irrationally, becoming increasingly confused by her conflicting feelings. "He saved our lives!"

"It's all right." Jarod said soothingly, rubbing her arm.

"No, Jarod, it's not all right." she replied, shaking with rage. "You don't understand anything, daddy."

"I understand that you're about to make a huge mistake." he argued.

"And what mistake would that be? He saved our lives!" she cried, shaking off Jarod's comforting arms, turning to face her father.

"Yes, he did. He was probably trying to make up for killing your mother! Or should I say, for his father killing your mother?" he sneered.

"That's a lie!" Jarod shouted angrily. "My father had no reason to kill Katherine Parker!"

"Didn't he?"

"No, he didn't! Katherine was trying to rescue us from the Centre, from this prison!"

"She didn't know what she was doing." Mr. Parker said simply.

"How can you say that, daddy?" Miss Parker asked, stunned. "Mom was trying to right a wrong!"

"How dare you!" her father roared, livid. "How can you trust the son of the man who killed your mother?"

"How can you put your daughter in this position while we're in a crisis?" Jarod growled. "We could die and your only concern is whether she believes you or not!"

"Shut up, Jarod!" she cried angrily, looking at Jarod witheringly. "And how can you talk about trust, daddy? You never even told me I had a brother!"

"I told you that your mother and I wanted to spare you unnecessary pain, princess." he said, adopting a kinder, gentler tone of voice, and attempted to stroke her cheek.

"Please, daddy." she said uncomfortably, brushing his hand away.

"This is just fine." he replied, attempting to seem dignified for his moment of weakness.

"I suggest we save this for another time and look for survivors." Jarod suggested, breaking the strained silence.

"How do we even know it's safe?" Mr. Parker asked coolly.

"There's only one way to find out." she replied, tightening her grip in her 9 mm.

"Do you want to stay behind, Mr. Parker?" Jarod asked condescendingly.

"Of course not! I don't trust you alone with my daughter, Jarod."

"Why don't you stay here, daddy? It's safer here." she pleaded.

"Yes, sir, you're in no condition for this." Jarod replied, smirking.

"Are you sure you'll be all right, angel?" he asked, relenting, thinking more for his comfort than her safety.

"Yes, daddy, I'll be fine." she said tenderly, delighted by this rare -- and seemingly sincere-show of concern. She gestured with her gun for Jarod to lead the way, and replied, "Let's go, Jarod."

He smirked at her, well aware of how furious it made her, and quietly enjoyed her chameleon-like emotions. He knew she was benefit, and he could not wait to rib her about it later. He strolled confidently to the door and touched it. Satisfied, he pulled the door open wide and stepped into the corridor. He was not prepared for the sight that met his eyes. The once sterile environment was blackened and filthy. Doors lay on the floor, ripped off their hinges by the force of the bomb's blast, leaving them blackened and charred. He stared at the sight before him, and felt oddly sad.

"Oh, what's wrong, Jarod?" Miss Parker purred sarcastically. "Do you feel sad because your home is trashed?"

"Actually, Miss Parker, I do feel a little sad. I have lived here most of my life." he said honestly, without any of the usual malice.

Miss Parker turned to him, surprised, but tried to hide it. She watched him carefully as he bent and touched a charred door, a look of anguish touching his handsome face. She felt a wave of tenderness flood her and she touched his arm gently. He looked up at her bewildered. He could not believe that the only home he had ever known was partially destroyed and although he hated the Centre and thought of it as a prison, it was his home, he was surprised in turn by Miss Parker's compassion, the compassion he was secretly afraid she had long forgotten. Her lips turned up slightly, her eyes thawed slightly, and Jarod stood slowly.

"I do understand, Jarod." she said, her tone softer. "I remember how I felt every time I went home after mom died. The house felt cold and dead. Just the way this feels now."

"But there is a difference between us, Miss Parker. You didn't have a choice to go. I do."

"But that doesn't make the pain any different." she said softly, her expression hardening.

"I don't even understand why this hurts me!" he exclaimed, now angry.

"Syd says that emotions aren't always rational." she said, shifting from one foot to the other. "What I can't believe is that we're actually having this conversation."

"Why is our having this conversation so difficult to fathom?" he asked curiously.

"It just is." she said irritably.

"Why don't you ever open up, Miss Parker?" he challenged gently.

"Being soft is not an option for me, Jarod." she said icily.

"That isn't how you felt when we were children." he said softly.

"That was a lifetime ago, Jarod. It's dead and gone."

"The past never dies." he said, walking slowly down the corridor, glancing into the rooms.

"Like I said, Jarod, that was a long time ago."

"Is it?"

"Yes." she said harshly, growing tired of the conversation. "I remember the compassionate girl you were. The girl who used to come visit us when she could sneak away, the girl who always brought Angelo Cracker Jacks, who used to sneak into the lab at night and free the animals. Do you remember that little girl?" he asked softly, turning to face her. "You were so much like her, Miss Parker. Somewhere, you still are."

"I'm not like mom, Jarod. I've too much of daddy in me." she said sharply.

"I don't believe that." he said passionately. "I've seen glimpses of her! I heard you talking to Angelo yesterday. The tenderness was there! When he played Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star for you, it was off-key and you told him that it was beautiful. That was not the famed Ice Queen."

"Don't call me that!" she shouted, pain flickering across her face for an instant. "Do you think I like being known as...by that name?"

"No, I don't. But I don't understand why you continue the charade. I don't understand why you continue to believe everything daddy tells you."

"Can't you leave him out of this? Just for once?" she cried. "I know he lies to me, all right?"

"They why do you keep trying to win his approval? Why live your life in his image? Why can't you accept yourself and move on?" he challenged.

"I just do, O.K.?"

"Why? Why does his stamp of approval mean so much?" he pressed.

"Don't try an analyze me, Jarod. It won't be pleasant for you." she warned.

"No, that's not it, Miss Parker. It won't be pleasant for you and you don't want to face it because it will be painful. That would mean opening up and God forbid that Miss Parker should lose control like the rest of us weaklings." he replied cruelly.

"Stop it, Jarod." she said coolly, though her shaking voice betrayed her.

"Stop what? Reminding you of who you were? Are still, somewhere under..."

"Shut up, Jarod!" she shouted angrily, her angry words reverberating through the corridor.

"Sure thing, Miss Parker." he said, turning away from her to inspect the corridor.

Neither said anything for a long time as they searched the rooms for any sign of survivors. They found nothing in each room except more charred, blackened rubble. After their angry words, they broke up, each inspecting a room by themselves. They never spoke to each other, but there was an unspoken understanding implying this, and they did not resist the impulse. As each searched the last rooms in the Sub-Level, they reluctantly returned to the corridor.

"Find anything?" Parker asked coolly, lighting up a cigarette.

"No. You?" he asked hopefully.

"Not a damn thing." she complained.

"Must you do that?" he asked, exaggeratedly fanning cigarette smoke out of his face.

"Do what?" she asked innocently, knowing damn well what he was talking about.

"One of your many disgusting habits."

"Get over it." she snapped.

"You're endangering the lives of everyone around you with that thing," he said irritably.

"Well, no one is forcing you to stand here."

"Sure, and if I walk away now, I'll end up with a bullet in my butt," he retorted.

"Well, that's the price you pay." she said airily.

"Do you always have to be this way?" he complained.

"What way is that?"

"Do you always have to start something?" he demanded.

"Excuse me?" she asked coldly.

"You're trying to start an argument right now."

"What are you whining about? Raines and Willie are probably dead," She snapped. "Broots and Sydney too. You're free now."

"I'm not worried about my freedom now. But I do need you to help me."

"Yeah, sure." she retorted and resumed her search in the corridor. "Let's just see who we can find, O.K.?"

He took her arm and turned her around to face him and replied, "After we find everyone..."

"There's nothing to say, Jarod."

"There's a lot to be said, Miss Parker."

"Let's go, Jarod." she said coolly, and walked away.

Jarod nodded, stung. He followed through the long, dark corridor, resenting her long silence. He forced himself to concentrate and listen for a sound, Sydney could still be alive and need his help. Miss Parker kicked a piece of twisted metal out of her path and continued to walk cautiously ahead. Behind her, Jarod began to check the doorless rooms once again. He rechecked behind metal shelves that had fallen to the concrete floor, under overturned desks, and any other possible objects that might be harboring victims of the blast. He was beginning to give up hope.

Miss Parker crouched down and picked up a small piece of metal. She turned it over repeatedly, running the pads of her fingers over it. Her brow wrinkled in frustration and she stood, tossing the metal fragment across the room irritably. She noticed a door leaning against the wall and it looked almost like a makeshift shelter. She cocked her head curiously and walked toward it carefully. She smiled contemptuously as the image of Raines and his sidekick Willie cowering behind the door crossed her mind. She walked up to the door and pulled it away from the wall. She looked down and saw Broots and Sydney both lying on the floor. Her eyes widened in alarm and she laid the door onto the floor. She crouched and felt for a pulse in each of them. Broots' pulse was strong and rhythmic, however Sydney's was weak but steady. She closed her eyes and silently thanked God.

"Jarod! Get your ass over here now!" she cried frantically.

Jarod stood quickly and rushed out of the room and down the corridor to Miss Parker's side. He saw her crouching beside
Broots and Sydney, and automatically the image of her beating both men senseless flashed into his mind. He scolded himself for this thought, for he knew that Miss Parker did care about them both. He forced himself to concentrate on the crisis at hand, and fell to his knees beside her. He realized for the first time that neither were moving nor were they making a sound. Realization dawned on him, and he felt as if the the building had collapsed on him.

"They're dead, aren't they." he said tonelessly.

"No! Jarod! They're alive!" she exclaimed excitedly, gently brushing dirt and ash from Sydney's face.

"We need to get them to the clinic. I can assess the damage there." he said calmly, touching Sydney's shoulder affectionately.

"How are we gonna do that, Jarod? Beam up there?" Parker snapped.

"We can use the stairs. We'll have to carry them." he replied, ignoring her sarcastic remark.

"Are you crazy!" she shouted, pushing her face into Jarod's determined one. "There is no way in hell we can carry these two up that many flights of stairs!"

"We can carry them one at a time."

"Fine, Jarod, whatever." she hissed, and grabbed Sydney's feet.

"What are you doing?" Jarod asked, confused.

"What the hell do you think?" she shouted. "We have to get Syd upstairs first. I can drag Broots up while you stabilize Syd."

"I'm sure that Broots will appreciate that." Jarod quipped.

"Jarod." she said warningly. "Just shut up and help me carry him to the clinic."

"Yes ma'am." he muttered, suppressing a grin.

"Don't even go there, Jarod. I need Broots and Syd, O.K.?"

"I didn't say anything." Jarod said innocently.

"You don't have to. I can see that look on your face." she continued, gaining momentum. "You see, Jarod, I know that as soon as you make sure we're all right, you're gonna take off again. And I need Broots and Syd to help me catch you."

"I see. And it's nothing more than professional interest?" he asked, his eyebrow quirked.

"Of course it is, stupid." she retorted.

"Uh huh."

"What the hell does that mean?" she demanded angrily.

"Nothing." he answered innocently.

"Don't even try to bullshit me, Jarod. There's something else behind that remark and I want to know what it is." she said icily.

"Well, I just thought that since you, Broots, and Sydney have spent so much time together, that naturally you would begin to thaw a little."

Parker scowled at him, too angry to speak. She was even more incensed that Jarod had seen right through her explanation concerning Broots and Sydney. This meant that he knew a lot more than he was letting on and that really pissed her off. She had one thought in her head at that moment, and it required her gun and Jarod's body. The thought brought a half smile to her face; however she banished it and quickly glanced up at Jarod.

"Let's just get them upstairs." she said through clenched teeth, enunciating each word.

*******

Centre Clinic
Blue Cove, Delaware


"Sydney, can you hear me?" Jarod murmured, leaning close to the older man.

"Jarod." he muttered faintly.

"Yeah Sydney, it's Jarod." he said quickly. "What happened Sydney? Why did you do this?"

"For you, Jarod." he whispered, taking a breath. "For all of the children."

"For the children?" Parker puffed, hauling Broots into the room, dragging him by the arms.

"Ssh." Jarod replied, a trace of irritation in his voice. "Sydney, what do you mean 'you did it for the children?'"

"To prevent..." he started and coughed.

"To prevent what?" Parker said sharply, walking over to the two and hovering over Sydney.

"Miss Parker, please! Let him finish." Jarod said impatiently.

"To prevent this...from ever happening again."

"What do you mean?" Jarod asked gently.

"You. What happened to you, Jarod." he wheezed. "It could not...happen any more...no more children...for the Centre."

"You were trying to prevent more testing of children?" Miss Parker asked, surprised.

"Yes, Miss Parker." he answered, a smile in his voice.

"Sydney, stay with me." Jarod pleaded, checking his pulse.

"Jarod, what's wrong with him?" Parker asked, concern marring her features.

"I don't know. I need to get his BP and run some tests." Jarod explained.

"Can I...can I help?" Parker stammered, confused by the overwhelming urge to either cry or throw up at this news.

"Yeah, you can." Jarod replied, smiling up at her.

*********

"He's got a broken rib and a concussion." Jarod said, the relief in his voice evident.

"Is that all?"

"Isn't that enough?" Jarod retorted.

"What about Broots?" Parker asked, trying to keep her temper in check.

"He's fine. Mild concussion, some abrasions and burns. He'll survive."

"Good, I need him to hack in to the Centre's mainframe." Parker said, absently lighting a cigarette.

"Couldn't you do that outside? This is a sterile environment." Jarod asked irritably.

"Jarod, cut the crap. We don't have time for yet another of your little lectures about my failing health and destructive habits." she snapped sarcastically.

"I'm not harassing you about it, Miss Parker. I'm trying to keep Sydney and Broots in a sterile environment."

"Whatever." she said furiously and stalked out of the room.

Jarod smiled and shook his head. He glanced down at Sydney again and walked over to the cot where Broots lay. He sat down in a chair sitting beside his cot and checked Broots' pulse. The sleeping man jumped and sat up quickly. His eyes darted around the unfamiliar room, looking for anything familiar to him. His eyes came to rest on Jarod's face, and he eyes widened in alarm. Jarod smiled and patted his arm reassuringly.

"Hello, Broots."

"H-hi Jarod." Broots stammered, shrinking away from him.

"It's O.K., Broots. Do you remember the explosion?"

"Uh, yeah. I followed Syd to SL-27. You, Miss Parker, and everyone else were already down there too. She had her gun pointed at you."

"Yeah, I think you remember everything." Jarod said dryly. "But you need to lie still for now. You have a mild concussion and a few burns and abrasions."

"How's Syd?" he asked, concerned. "I know the door hit him and knocked him into me."

"Sydney's condition is fair. He's got a concussion and a broken rib." Jarod replied calmly, praying that his voice did not betray his true feelings.

"Is he gonna be O.K.?"

"Yeah, he's going to be fine."

"Well, well, Sleeping Beauty has awakened." Miss Parker replied sarcastically.

"Please Parker." Jarod replied, his tone pleading with her to behave.

"What the hell is going on, Broots?" Parker demanded, completely ignoring Jarod.

"Miss Parker, can I talk to you outside?" Jarod asked, taking her firmly by the arm and dragging her out of the room.

Once the door was firmly shut behind them, she jerked her arm from his grasp and hissed, "What the hell do you think you're doing? Don't ever manhandle me like that again, got it?"

"Miss Parker, I'm going to introduce you to two new words: Patience and tact. Start practicing them or you're on your own." Jarod growled, glaring at her.

"Don't threaten me, Jarod." she said icily.

"I'm not threatening you, I'm just making a friendly suggestion."

"Why don't you keep your 'friendly suggestions' to yourself," she said mockingly.

"Why don't you act like a human being for a change?" he retorted, his temper rising rapidly.

"Kiss my ass!" she shouted, for lack of anything better to say.

"That was a good one." he said mockingly.

"God damnit, I'm so sick of you!" she screeched, her hands balling into fists.

"The feeling is mutual." he murmured.

"You bastard!" she shouted, slapping his face as hard as she could.

His eyes narrowed and he smirked that annoying smirk at her. He touched his face briefly and replied sarcastically. "Nice. You always have to pick fights with and slap the white knights who rescue you?"

"No one rescues me,. Jarod." she growled, her eyes narrowing dangerously.

"Oh really? I thought that's what I did back there." he retorted angrily.

"Oh yeah, Jarod, you're a real big hero." she snapped.

"I certainly thought so. I risked myself for you and daddy dearest."

"Well, I guess it the least you could do since your darling daddy murdered my mother!" she cried, willing her voice not to betray her.

"My father is not a murderer!" he roared, grabbing her shoulders roughly.

"Get your hands off me!" she shrieked, wincing unconsciously.

He noticed this and pushed her away in disgust. He had forgotten himself for a moment, and though she was slim and delicate in appearance, it was deceptive. She was strong and lithe and capable of beating the hell out of any man. He took a deep breath to calm himself and looked away from her. He clenched and unclenched his hands, noticing a thick substance on his hand. He glanced down at the red smear on his hand and back up at her swiftly. This did not go unnoticed by Parker and she glanced down at her left arm quickly. She nearly fainted when she saw the deep gash in her arm and grudgingly thanked God that Jarod was there to catch her sagging form.

"God Parker, why didn't you say anything?" he demanded, inspecting the wound carefully.

"I-I didn't notice it." she said weakly, berating herself for the lack of strength in her words.

"Come on, I've got to clean this." Jarod replied briskly, half dragging her back into the clinic.

He lifted her onto an exam table and gently asked, "Miss Parker, could you take off your jacket?"

She looked up at him dazedly and muttered, "I can't."

Jarod smiled tenderly at her and gently eased the jacket off her shoulders. He pulled first her right arm then her left from the sleeves, taking care not to touch the wound. He looked into her dazed eyes and smiled uncomfortably. He had a choice: Either remove her shirt or rip the sleeve off. He quickly ran the scenarios; remove her shirt and face her wrath, rip the sleeve off her designer shirt and face her fury. He chose the lesser of the two evils and ripped the sleeve off, easing it over the wound. She winced and he felt compassion for her stir within him. He wanted to touch her cheek and whisper that everything would be all right; however he knew he would be rejected and probably shot on the spot. He knew Parker was stubborn and bullheaded; he personally believed that she could remain conscious and kicking with half of her body caught in a bear trap. He was astonished to find her head slumped to one side, passed out cold.

"Parker?" he murmured incredulously, touching her good shoulder softly.

She stirred slightly and he grinned broadly. This would be perfect blackmail material, he thought wickedly. This would drive her wild for months! However, his compassion for human suffering, and Miss Parker, was to great to allow petty retribution to stand in the way. The gash itself was not fatal, but should he put off treatment any longer, infection could set in. Should that happen, she would most certainly die and he was not prepared to have that on his conscience.

"Parker, wake up." he said, shaking her roughly. "Come on, wakey wakey."

"Wha'?" she asked irritably.

"Wake up. I need you to help me."

"Can't." she murmured.

"Parker, this cut is really deep. You've lost a lot of blood and I need you to talk to me."

"Wha' for?" she demanded weakly, opening one eye tiredly.

"Stay with me! Do you want to die?" he demanded irritably.

"D'ya want me to shoot ya?" she shot back weakly, her eyes gleaming defiantly.

"There you go. There's the Miss Parker we love to hate." he joked, truly happy she was returning to her usual demeanor.

"Just sew it up Jarod and get on with it." she snapped tiredly.

"You know, you really should be nicer to me."

"Oh, ya think?" she snapped mockingly.

"Yeah, I do. What have I ever done to you, Miss Parker?" he asked honestly.

"What have you ever done to me? she cried, incredulously. "Try ruining my life, for starters."

"What do you mean?" he asked, astonished.

"You're the reason my mother was murdered!" she shouted, her voice breaking. "It always comes back to you!"

"Yes, it seems that it does." Jarod replied, looking away.

Miss Parker looked at Jarod's shaken expression and instantly felt guilty. She knew, deep in her heart, that Jarod was not totally to blame; however she was not ready to embrace that truth with open arms. She acknowledged-in rare cases of weakness such as this-her feelings for Jarod, but quickly pushed them aside. It was too dangerous for her to admit that she could feel, much less embrace the fact that there were warm, fuzzy feelings where Jarod was concerned. So to be safe, she chalked the feelings up to nostalgia, willed herself to feel nothing, and returned to the pursuit of Jarod. It had not been easy for her to do so after he had asked her to be his Valentine, and she had allowed those feelings to get in the way of her pursuit. Now, it would be easier since she could use the fact that his father had killed her mother as a crutch. In her heart, she agreed with Jarod that his father did not kill her mother, but she could never admit that consciously to herself and never aloud to Jarod. Life had dealt her a rotten hand and she was trying to make the best of things.

"Look Jarod, just stitch the damn cut up and get back to Syd and Broots." she said, with only the slightest trace of irritability in her tone.

"Whatever you say, Miss Parker." he mumbled and proceeded.

********

Broots listened carefully to everything Jarod and Miss Parker had said to each other, while pretending to be asleep. He
triumphantly congratulated himself, proudly telling himself that Jarod was not the only gifted person in the room. He listened hard hoping that Jarod would reveal her first name. To his disappointment, he never once uttered her name. This disappointed him, and he decided that if he continued to fein sleeping, Jarod might yet reveal her name. He was not quite sure why this information was so important to him. The burning desire to know her name could be good information in the future, and it could be put to good use. If he was not supposed to be incapacitated, he would have grinned wickedly. He did not notice that the room had become silent, as he was so lost in thought.

"Quit faking, Broots." Parker hissed in his ear.

"Shit!" he yelped, nearly falling out of his cot. He looked up fearfully into her maliciously grinning face and asked, "How did..."

"Jesus, Broots, you stunk of panic." she retorted. "What are you sneaking around for?"

"I'm not sneaking around about anything." he protested.

"That's not what it looked like to us." Jarod replied looking at Broots calmly.

"I swear, Jarod, I wasn't sneaking around. I-I just didn't want to interrupt your argument." he lied.

"Sure, and I'm Mary Poppins." Parker retorted.

"Miss Parker, we forgot about your father." Jarod interjected.

"Son of a bitch!" she shouted, jumping to her feet. She swayed and her knees buckled. "Ohhh..."

"Good one." Jarod teased, and helped her to her feet. "I told you to take it easy, Parker."

"Shut up and let's go, Jarod." she snapped, her voice weak.

"Yes, yes your majesty." he muttered, and followed her out of the clinic, back to SL-27.

********

The Centre
Sub-Level 27


Miss Parker walked as quickly as she could, which was actually pretty quickly considering, toward the room where they had left her father. She tossed the door open, her eyes darting around the room quickly, searching for her father. She found the room empty and she rushed into the room, searching for him. He was nowhere to be found.

"Daddy?" she called worriedly.

"Miss Parker, he's gone." Jarod said softly, touching her shoulder.

"No, he can't be." she said, ignoring Jarod.

"Parker, he's gone." he murmured gently.

"No!" she cried, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Ssh, it's O.K." he said, pulling her into his arms.

"Let me go!" she shouted, fighting him.

"We'll find him, Parker." he said soothingly, patting her stiff back.

"Where could he have gone?" she wailed, resting her forehead on his shoulder.

"I don't know, but we'll find him. I promise." he said firmly.

"God Jarod, I can't lose him again." she half-sobbed.

"I know." he soothed, stroking her hair.

"Jarod, promise me we'll find him." she said, looking into his brown eyes, eyes she longed to lose herself in.

"I promise." he vowed.

"Do you remember..." she said, trailing off.

"Yes, I do." he answered. "Have you ever wondered what it would be like again?"

"Jarod!" she gasped.

"I have." he murmured, leaning close to her.

"It's too dangerous." she said evasively.

"I don't care." he whispered, capturing her lips with his own.