Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Chapter Seven

“A smoky horizon is calling me back

The light fades to gray, and then onto black”



Jarod sat on the couch, stunned. Lyle sat on an oversized chair not ten feet from him, and Cox sat at the kitchen table talking to Parker in low, hushed tones. Lyle was looking around the cabin, attempting to look as if he actually wanted to be there, in Jarod’s presence. He wasn’t doing a very good job. Jarod concentrated on the floor. The silence was broken by Lyle’s bemused inquiry,

“Why is there a spoon in this chair?” Miss Parker’s twin held up a sticky, syrupy spoon that bore the remains of vanilla ice cream. Jarod leapt up, snatched the spoon with a rushed, “I’ll take that.”, and took it to the kitchen sink. Lyle studied Jarod’s irrational behavior for a moment, and then glanced at his sister to see her fighting off a deep crimson blush.

“Ohhh...” Lyle nodded with a knowing grin and a chuckle. “Ohhh...”

“Shut up!” Both Jarod and Parker chorused at the same time. Cox choked back a laugh, and the next thirty seconds found the small party carefully studying the floor, the table, anything that was down.



The car drove off, leaving Jarod and Parker alone once again. Jarod looped his arms around Parker’s shoulders, and kissed her on the top of the head.

“So, where are they going again?”

“Lyle’s going to spend a few months at Ben’s, and Cox is returning to Delaware.” Parker replied, leaning back into Jarod. She sighed and looked up at him, as his chocolate eyes filled with concern.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea? Do you trust Cox?”

“I trust him enough.” Was the simple answer.

“Let’s go camping.” Jarod suggested suddenly, looking down at her with a grin. He gave her a slight squeeze, and strode into the cabin, calling back over his shoulder. “I’ll start packing the food and stuff like that. Grab some clothes.” Parker let loose an exaggerated sigh, as she fought a smile, and went inside to select some things to wear.



Jarod sighed out of pure satisfaction, and the sigh was quickly followed by a yawn. He sat with his back to a log, and bare feet stretched towards the small campfire. Parker was leaning against him, and his arm was wrapped protectively around her.

“Parker?” He whispered, thinking she would be asleep.

“Hmm?” He slipped the velvet box out of his pocket, and fingered it thoughtfully. It was now or never. Now or never.

“Parker, will you...”

“What?”

“Would you ever consider...”

“Spit it out already!” Parker snapped sleepily.

“Will you marry me?” Jarod finally managed to say, popping the velvet box open and displaying it before her. “Will you?”