Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Sorry for such a long wait! And I'm afraid the wait for the chapter after this may be just as long! It's a WIP, and I usually have the whole story finished before I post, so this is a rather new ball game.
I apologize in advance for those of you who think I'm straying off-subject in some matters, but I would like you to note that the title is 'Portrait of a Killer'. It never actually specifies which killer. But as the piece was intended to be Lyle and Emily, it will return to just them in the end (their storyline, not them literally. No, I'm not killing Spider. I'm not that cruel.). But I needed to throw in some extra stuff along the way, just because those two can't do everything.
Thanks for the great reviews! Please, do not tear Jarod's head off...*laughs* He is going to be okay in the end. Next chapter holds some surprises, *SPOILER* as well as Major Charles and the Clone coming into the story.
Here it is! The next chapter in the Portrait of a Killer Saga! Chronicle! Thing! (LOtR fans: I'm with you all the way *grin*)
NOTE: This chapter, as well as some of the following, may contain minor language. Very small usage, but still there. Just a warning.


Portrait of a Killer

5/10

by RRP


Ben Miller looked out the freshly washed window, sipping tentatively on a cup of steaming coffee. He anxiously awaited the arrival of Catherine's daughter, and the son she had thought dead. He wondered what it would be like to finally meet the child he had mourned for with Catherine. He took another drawn-out sip of his coffee, just as a dark blue van pulled into the gravel driveway.

Miss Parker stepped out, and he gasped. It was like seeing Catherine for the first time- all over again. He hurried to the front door, and flung it open.

"Miss Parker!" She looked over suddenly, attention turned from the occupants of the van.

"Ben!" Ben left the porch, and within seconds stood next her, and the van. He embraced her, and she awkwardly returned the gesture. The passenger door swung open, and a man's head appeared on the other side of the van. Ben stepped away from Miss Parker, and looked the man over.

"You must be Lyle." The man nodded, but said nothing. There was silence in the air for several tense seconds, before a voice from the back of the van asked with a drawn-out sigh.

"Can we get out now?" Miss Parker laughed, and a smile appeared on Lyle's face. Miss Parker slid the door over, and immediately, four of the five children tumbled out. Spider squealed for someone to release him from his car seat, and Lyle slid the other door open to do so.

"I'll get him, Lyle." Miss Parker called out, reaching in to pick up Spider. Lyle reluctantly stepped back, and watched as she set him down. He was gone almost instantly, running in circles with the other children- all of them glad just to be out of the car.

"Would you like some coffee? Or tea?" Ben asked, breaking the uneasy stillness between the adults.

"That'd be great, Ben." Miss Parker answered for both of them, and Ben led the way inside the house. Miss Parker and Lyle followed, Lyle's step noticeably slower and lagging. They paused in the hall, and Miss Parker leaned over to him.

"You okay?" He nodded, and gave her a forced smile.

"Just tired. I'll be fine."

"Don't give me that, Lyle." Miss Parker snapped. "Or I'll shoot you in the knee. This is your vacation, if you're tired, go rest." She left him in the hall, and from where he stood still in shock, he heard her talking to Ben. "Which guest room do you want Lyle to use?"

"The light blue one okay? That's the one I was planning on." Ben replied.

"That's great. Thanks again, Ben." Miss Parker reappeared in the hall, and took Lyle by the arm. "Come on," He was half-dragged up the stairs, into a fresh smelling room with pale blue walls. There was a pine-frame bed near the window, with dark blue blankets. She pushed him towards the bed.

"Sleep, Lyle. It's been a long day." He nodded and mumbled his thanks, and collapsed on the bed. "Geez. You're worse than Spider. Take off your shoes, and get under the covers." Miss Parker reprimanded, arms crossed over her chest impatiently. He struggled to sit, and then tugged off his shoes. The last thing he heard was her retreating footsteps down the stairs, before everything faded into a dark bliss.

---

"Is she ready?"

"To move?"

"Of course, you idiot. What else would I be talking about?"

"I think so. We'll have to sedate her right before we take-off, but she's been vaccinated."

"Good." The raspy voice of a ragged throat finished the conversation between the two men, with one syllable. The white-cloaked doctor moved away, and disappeared down the hall. The now silent raspy voice moved the opposite direction, accompanied by the squeaking of an oxygen tank. After the squeaking had faded out of earshot, a dark figure stepped out of the shadows. He looked up at the camera, and sighed.

Next, he stepped over to a large window, which the two other men had been standing before. The figure of a woman was inside, still and motionless on the bed. Her chest moved up and down, proving that she was still alive. At least in body. Mind was another matter. The dark clothed figure sighed again, and watched the woman for several minutes. Suddenly, she moved.

Within seconds, she was at the glass, banging and screaming. The dark clothed man jumped, but didn't move away. He already knew, as well as she did, that she couldn't she him. It was a one-way glass. She screamed words, but his trained ears refused to hear them. Minutes again passed, and she sank to the ground sobbing.

The figure turned, and walked quickly down the hall, a purpose held in his firm steps. It wasn't until three floors later, in front of a door marked, 'STORAGE', that he adapted and began using stealth. He sneaked into the room, and browsed the many shelves. He found a certain box, and jerked it off the shelves. It was full of unmarked DSAs, and he grabbed one.

He was off again, down the halls. Back down to the level he had started on, only feet from his original standpoint. Instead, he entered a room, and a startled watchman looked up.

"Hey,"

"You want me to fill in for you, for a couple minutes?" He offered. The watchman nodded enthusiastically.

"That be great. It's all yours, I'll be right back." The watchman left the room, and the figure sat down. He glanced at the screen for only a minute, before opening a tiny disc tray, and grabbing the DSA within. He set the blank one in the tray, and pocketed the used one. The watchman returned a brief minute later, and reclaimed his seat.

"Thanks."

"No problem." The figure left the room, and again changed floors, riding silently on the otherwise empty elevator. He had just betrayed the Centre, and it wouldn't be long before they found out, but he was confident that it was worth it. He entered another room, this one larger than any of the others. Another man sat in the center, at a desk with a computer and other electronic equipment. He looked up suddenly. The figure tossed the disc to him.

"Here, Broots." The figure spoke, "That's for Miss Parker."

"What is it, Sam?" Sam looked around him before he answered.

"Important." And with that, the Sweeper left the room.

---


Miss Parker was about to sip her coffee, when her cell-phone rang. She sighed, and set the coffee down. Lyle was bent over Spider, wiping the little boy's mouth off, and Ben was serving Charlie and Aric Joel more pancakes. She grabbed the phone, and left the room.

"What?"

"Miss Parker!" Broots' voice greeted her nervously, and she sighed again.

"What is it, Broots?"

"Uh, well...Sam gave me this DSA..." Broots began.

"Sam the Sweeper?" Miss Parker asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah. I really think you should see it."

"Not possible right now. Just tell me what's on it." Miss Parker ordered. Broots lowered his voice to a mere whisper.

"They're moving Emily to Africa!" Broots blurted out. Miss Parker's eyes widened.

"What?"

"Tomorrow! There isn't any more time! There's no way we'll ever even see her again if she goes to Africa!"

"Okay, Broots, listen very carefully. I want you to find Sydney and Sam. Find out why Sam gave you the disc, and then meet with Sydney on the beach behind my house. Take Sam with you if you think he's telling the truth, understand?"

"Yes, Miss Parker. But-"

"Broots, I want all three of you to be there at noon today. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Miss Parker." She hung up on him, confident that he would carry out her orders to the T. She returned to the kitchen, and made an announcement that was rather startling to the other two adults.

"Ben, I need you to watch the kids for a few days. Lyle's coming with me to Delaware."

"What?" Lyle's head snapped up, and he looked at her with wide eyes.

"Come on," She grabbed his arm, and pulled him outside towards the car.

"What are we doing?" He asked frantically, as he snapped the ends of the buckle together.

"Saving your life." Was all Miss Parker would reply.

---


"What?" Miss Parker answered the phone harshly, as they neared Delaware. The car trip had been silent for the past hour- Lyle had given up trying to get information after the first thirty minutes.

"Hello, Miss Parker. So nice to speak to you again." Jarod greeted her in return. Miss Parker sighed, and tightened her grip on the steering wheel. Lyle noticed, and leaned forward to hear what was being said.

"Jarod," Miss Parker was upset for a reason unknown to her, yet at the same time, strangely comforted knowing that Jarod would be able to help. She was afraid she wouldn't be able to contact him in time.

"About the games we play with ourselves-" Jarod began giving her his usual cryptic clue, but she cut him off.

"And the games the Centre plays with people and planes and Africa." Miss Parker hoped he would catch on. But knowing Jarod, and his lack of common sense, she didn't place her hopes too high.

"They're moving her?" Jarod exclaimed in surprise. Miss Parker blinked.

"Well, what do you know? Wonderboy caught on reasonably fast! Yes, they're moving her. Beach, behind my house, noon today. Be there." She hung up without waiting for an answer. He'd be there. After a brief silence, Lyle spoke up again.

"Sis? Who's 'she'?" Miss Parker clenched her jaw firmly shut. "Sis? Sis? You're scaring me. Come on. Who is she?" Miss Parker still didn't answer. Lyle finally silenced.

---


Sydney turned from the ocean at the sound of approaching footsteps, crunching in the warm sand. Broots and Sam were walking towards him, and they stopped in front of him. Broots looked characteristically nervous, glancing over his shoulder every few minutes. Sam was silent and rock-solid as usual, his poker face giving nothing away, but his eyes revealing the matching cool interior- one that was almost always (as with this case) accompanied by a deadly 9mm.

"It's five till. She said she would be here?" Sydney asked quietly. Broots nodded, and Sam scanned the area automatically.

"She said she would. I don't know who's going to be with her, or if she's coming alone."

"There." The one syllable from Sam's mouth was already more than Sydney expected to hear, and he followed Sam's extended arm, with his eyes. Miss Parker was walking towards them, from the front of the house, a familiar but long-absent figure following her.

"Miss Parker." Sydney greeted, as she joined them. Lyle hovered nervously behind her, warily eyeing Sam.

"Sydney, Broots, Sam," She nodded to the three men. She raised a finger to them, signaling for a pause, or silence. "Just a second." She strode over to her house, and threw open the back sliding glass door, and stuck her head inside. A muffled, "Jarod, come on out." reached their ears, and all four sets of eyebrows raised behind her.

Miss Parker scanned the darkened room for Jarod, waiting for his tall figure to emerge from the shadows. She wasn't disappointed.

"How'd you know?" He asked, his mouth twisted into what could only be called a pout.

"I've known you for a long time, Jarod. Don't expect less." She snapped back. "Come on, we don't have much time." He followed her out to the small circle of people on the beach. The six people eyed each other for nearly five minutes before Miss Parker spoke up.

"They're moving Emily to Africa tomorrow, for those of you who didn't know." A small gasp came from her twin, and Sydney noticed with unease that he had gone sheet-white. He slowly swallowed, and grabbed Miss Parker's arm.

"She's...she's alive?" Miss Parker nodded, and forced out one small word.

"Yes."

"Oh, God..." Was all Lyle could manage. Miss Parker looked over at him with a flicker of concern, not allowing her true care to come into full light among the other people on the beach.

"We need a plan, and fast."

"I have an idea." Sam spoke up, and it was clear to Sydney that he had gone over whatever the idea was, several times. The rest of the small group looked at him curiously. "The Centre has instructions to send Jarod on the same plane, if possible." He swallowed hard, and looked over at Jarod. "I'm assigned to guard. It's a single guard flight, because of plane capacity limits. And there will be one pilot. I can knock the pilot out easy enough, but I have no idea how to fly. It's sketchy, but I thought it might be easier than trying to get her out of the building."

"You want me to let you capture me!" Jarod exclaimed in disbelief.

"It would only be for a day." Miss Parker pointed out. "Good job, Sam. It may work." Sam nodded, and slipped back into silence.

"I won't-" Jarod started to loudly protest, when he caught Lyle's hopeful eye.

"Please, Jarod? Not for me, I don't deserve it. For Emily. Please do it for Emily." Lyle begged. Jarod glared at the sand. He slowly nodded.

"I'll do it. But if anything goes wrong, I'm holding Sam personally responsible."

"I can live with that." Sam agreed with a sigh.

"Let's do it." Miss Parker nodded decisively. "We need to plan more in detail though. Let's go inside." She started walking to her house, the others striding after her. Lyle dropped behind, and caught Jarod right before they entered the house. He met Jarod's fierce gaze, and gave a weak grin.

"Thanks, Jarod."

"Thank me when this whole mess is over." Jarod growled back, stepping into the house. Lyle looked back out at the ocean, and then followed.

---


Mr. Parker left his office to investigate the loud confusion out in the hall. He flung the doors open to see a site he had been waiting years to see. Miss Parker was stalking towards him in full Parker-glory, eyes like ice, shoulders squared- her thin legs tapping out a sharp tune with her hard shoe heels on the cold floor. Behind her, Sam dragged a subdued and dejected Jarod, the Sweeper's gun held firmly to Jarod's back.

"Angel!" He exclaimed, hurrying towards her.

"Another labrat to ship to Africa." She commented, watching her father carefully, to see his reaction to the fact that she knew about Emily. A flicker of confusion and nothing more. Mr. Parker grinned.

"I knew you could do it, Angel." He snapped his fingers at some near-by Sweepers. "Take him to SL-15, room 155." They nodded, and took Jarod from Sam. He turned to Sam next. "It's Sam, isn't it? Notify Dr. Yancy. He'll know what to do." Sam also gave a curt nod, and disappeared down the hall.

"Daddy," Miss Parker stepped up. "We had a deal. I brought Jarod, and the Centre let me go." Mr. Parker met her gaze, and forced a smile.

"So we did. Come into my office for a moment." She hesitated, then followed him. Once inside, he sat at his desk, and she sat across from him. He pulled a file out from his desk, the file full and overflowing with papers and scraps.

"Daddy?" Miss Parker prompted. He sighed, and set the file down on the desk.

"I'm sure after all these years, it's clear that I lied about several things." He painfully met her gaze, and continued. "But I did make a promise, and for once I intend to keep it. I owe it to you. I owe it to your mother." He slid the file over to her, and she accepted it. He stood, and she copied his motions.

"Just like that? I can leave?" She questioned in disbelief. He nodded.

"Just like that, Angel." He placed a gentle kiss on the top of her forehead, then gave her a soft push away from him. "Go on. Get out of here." Miss Parker walked away, head swirling and thoughts spinning. She knew it was too good to be true. She froze as the tattle-tale thought forced it's way into her mind.

He never said anything about AJ.

At the same time, she heard an ominous click behind her. Things seemed to move in slow motion, as she spun around, to be greeted by the sight of her father pointing a gun at her. He pulled the trigger, and a flash of pain lit in her chest, cascading into an unbearable burning fire of agony. The file spilled, and papers flew about the room. As she fell, she just barely caught her father's words,

"I'm sorry Angel. I lied."

---


Sam shook the Pretender, hoping Jarod would wake up. Nothing happened. Jarod shifted in his seat, and nothing more. Sam swore, realizing that the Doctor must have given Jarod a sedative along with his last shots. The Centre usually didn't make the same mistakes twice- it was an attribute they prided themselves on. Sam cursed again for not seeing the probability sooner.

"Jarod, Jarod..." Sam's conscious was telling him to just give up. Jarod was drugged, Emily wouldn't be of any use even if they did wake her, with her current emotional state. Sam himself had no idea how to fly a plane, and to top it all off, he hadn't gotten any word from Miss Parker since they had brought Jarod in. And the rumors floating around the upper sub levels about a near-death in the infirmary hadn't helped a bit.

"Unnghh..." Jarod moaned, and opened his eyes. "Wha?" He mumbled, confirming Sam's fears that the Pretender was drugged.

"You have to fly the plane!"

"Can't. Sedative. You do it." Sam's eyes widened in shock, and he shook his head.

"Me? I don't know how to fly! That's why you're here in the first place!"

"I tell you what to do, you do it, understand?" Jarod ordered, slurring the words. "Help me into the cockpit." Sam obeyed, and Jarod was soon settled in the co-pilot's seat, struggling to stay awake. Sam sat down in the pilot's chair, eyed all the dials, knobs, and switches.

"Turn us thirty seven degrees north." Jarod ordered. Sam picked out the device he guessed to be the compass-thingy (as he cataloged it in his mind) and slowly turned the steering wheel until the 'compass-thingy' was thirty-eight degrees over in the direction he guessed to be north. At least, he hoped the little arrow pointing somewhat left meant north.

He hoped.

---


Lyle drummed his fingers nervously on the armrest of his chair, and waited Sydney to announce the plane's arrival. No word from his sister had made him worried enough, and the anticipation of seeing Emily again had nearly short-wired him.

"They're here." Sydney called out from next to the window, his voice accompanied by the whine of an airplane engine. They watched from the window as the plane took a moderately rough landing, and pulled to a stop at the end of the runway. Several minutes later, Lyle, Broots, and Sydney all neared the plane as the door flew open. Out stepped a shaky, pale Sam.

"Sam?" Sydney asked, before Sam even made it to the ground. "What's wrong?"

"First, Jarod was drugged. I had to land the plane." Sam began. He took a deep breath, and something similar to a shudder caused his usually study frame to tremble. "I just got the news. Miss Parker's...Miss Parker's been shot." A collective gasp came from the group of three.

"How bad?" Broots found his voice first.

"I don't know, but from the wavelengths I hit on the Centre's closed radio, I'd say pretty bad." He looked over to Lyle, and stepped away from the plane's door. "She's pretty out of it, but she's in there."

Lyle was inside the plane before the other three could blink. Sydney shot a look of half-worry to Broots, and Broots gave a small shrug. Sydney climbed inside the plane after Lyle, and saw a sight he never expected to see in his lifetime- the once fearsome Mr. Lyle hugging the sister of the elusive Pretender, holding her to him like a drowning man clung to a life-ring.

"Oh, god. Emmy...Oh, god...I'm so sorry, baby. I'm so sorry. I had no idea...oh, god." Lyle's string of apologies and murmurs was riddled with tears and almost unintelligible. Sydney turned from the two, sensing that there was nothing helpful he could do as the present time, and instead walked the length of the small plane, to the man he considered a son.

"Jarod?" He shook the Pretender, until the younger man blinked.

"Huh?" Jarod looked around, confusion clear in his chocolate brown eyes.

"Come on, let's go inside." Sydney tugged gently on Jarod's sleeve, and Jarod sat straight up in a panic, eyes suddenly sharp and suspicious.

"Did we crash? What happened?"

"Sam landed the plane. All of you are fine! I was under the impression that you walked him through it." Sydney replied, the confusion transferring to his eyes. Jarod shook his head.

"I must have fallen asleep!"

"You mean this plane was just landed by a man who's never flown before?" Sydney asked in astonishment, looking quizzically at the Pretender. Jarod nodded sheepishly.

"I'd say he did a pretty damn good job, too."

"I'd say!" Sydney exclaimed in agreement. Sam, unaware of the topic of conversation, poked his head into the cockpit.

"Sydney, a minute?" He requested quietly. Sydney nodded.

"Come on, Jarod. Inside." He ordered, following Sam outside of the plane- pausing for a brief second to watch Lyle silently cradle Emily.

"Sam?" Sydney asked once he was outside. Sam was looking into the sky, and he quickly turned, and looked around before speaking in low tones.

"I just got a call from Joel, another Sweeper. Worked for Miss Parker. Sydney..." Sam trailed off, and ran a hand through his close-cropped hair. "God...Sydney, she's gone. I don't know how else to say it. They lost her this morning, in the infirmary." Sydney leaned against the plane for support, feeling his face drain of color.

He didn't even realize Jarod was in hearing range, until a flash of dark clothing flew past him, and Jarod had tackled Sam. He was on top of the Sweeper, mercilessly pummeling Sam's face and chest. Sydney struggled to pull the Pretender off of the Sweeper, and yelled for Broots without even realizing it. Broots appeared at his side, and barked in an uncharacteriscally firm voice.

"Jarod, cut it out!"

"Jarod, stop!" Sydney added for emphasis. Jarod finally stopped, and backed away before sinking to the pavement, sobbing helplessly. Broots watched from several feet away, face twisted with confusion, as Sydney's arm's encircled the Pretender and they wept together. Sam slowly stood to his feet, and attempted to seep up the steady stream of blood from his nose.

"Sam?" Broots asked in a mere whisper, fearing the very worst. Sam glanced over to Sydney and Jarod, before starting to walk to the house. "Sam?" Broots persisted, louder the second time, following the Sweeper. "Will you tell me what's going on, already? It's a wonder you're not unconscious the way he was hitting you. What happened?"

"He said he'd hold me responsible. We're both just keeping our promises." He motioned to Sydney and Jarod, "They- you- were made for families. I was a Chicago street kid. Death should be a stranger to you people. It's always been one of my closest companions. And it steals again." Sam stopped speaking, and continued towards the house. Broots froze, the meaning of Sam's words hitting him full in the stomach. He looked back over at Sydney and Jarod, and then down at his hands. He wanted to cry. He wanted to forget everything else, and sob. But first he had to pound some sense into these people. His friends. And he hated confrontations. He took at deep breath, and stalked over to Sydney and Jarod.

"This is insane. Completely and utterly insane." Both Jarod and Sydney were shocked out of their sorrow, and looked up at Broots, as the usually nervous man waved his arms in the air. "Come on! Geez, how many times does it have to happen before you realize it's just a game they play? She's not dead. She's too important to them, for some reason. They just want you to think she's dead. Like they did with Lyle, and Ethan, and Mrs. Parker, and Kyle, and Emily! The list goes on and on! Shall I continue?"

Jarod looked over at Sydney and blushed. Sydney couldn't help grinning a bit. Broots was right- it was rather foolish to assume Miss Parker dead just because of one phone call. Jarod sniffled, and stood up.

"I should probably apologize to Sam, nonetheless." He stated awkwardly. Sydney nodded. Broots watched, rather pleased with the outcome of his outburst.

"And someone needs to get Emily inside, and check her out." Sydney added. Jarod gave a heavy sigh, and a plan could almost be seen forming, behind his eyes. Broots noticed, and couldn't help muttering under his breath,

"They say eyes are the window to the soul. In Jarod's case, it's his brain." Jarod caught it, and gave the smaller man a half-cocked grin. A Jarod-ish smirk many were familiar with.

"Broots, Emily's pretty small. I think you can manage her. Sydney, you may want to help with Lyle. I don't have the slightest feeling that he's going to give her up any time soon. I'll go talk to Sam." Nods were exchanged, and each set off to his own task.

Jarod entered the house, and glanced around. No one was in immediate site, but a few small spots of blood were making a trail to the house's first floor bathroom. He followed the trail to the closed bathroom door, and knocked lightly.

"Sam?" There was no answer, so he continued. "First, Broots pointed out that Miss Parker's probably not actually dead. The Centre has a thing with keeping dead people alive, if you know what I mean. Secondly, I think I should apologize for jumping you like that." The door's lock clicked, and Jarod stepped back. The door swung open, and Sam stood in the doorway, holding an old washcloth to his nose, a bandage already on one side of his swelling lip.

"Sorry I didn't answer the first time. My teeth were clenched. It's no problem, really. We had a deal, you'd blame me for whatever went wrong. But next time, make sure there are some stiff bandages or butterfly tapes around, before you break my nose." Sam's voice was slightly muffled and altered by the washcloth, and the swollen lip. Jarod blinked.

"You just...um, set your own nose?"

"Yes. You have a problem with that?" Sam questioned, raising an eyebrow. Jarod shook his head, for the first and most likely last time in his life, admiring a Sweeper. Jarod grinned mischievously.

"One favor." Jarod replied.

"What?"

"I just got new couches and carpets and everything, so if you tell Broots, make sure he's already near the toilet." Jarod shrugged towards the stuff in the living room. Sam's eyes twinkled, and the uninjured half of his mouth twisted into a smile.

"Sure thing, Labrat."

"Thanks," Jarod returned quickly, "Broom Man."

---


Jarod stood in the doorframe, pushing his worries about Miss Parker to the back of his mind, as he watched Lyle and Emily sleep. She was on the bed, covered in multiple layers of blankets to keep her warm, and Lyle had fallen asleep holding her hand, next to the twin-bed. He felt strangely free, and it was all because of the dream he had had not twenty minutes ago.

He had been tossing and turning, sleepily restlessly, tormented by nightmares- until there was an unusual calm in the storm of his mind...

A bright light, then he saw Kyle with no other than Thomas Gates. Both of them were laughing about something, almost as if they didn't notice him. Kyle finally looked his direction, and Jarod watched him move closer, still speechless.

"Hey, Big Brother. I've been keeping an eye on you."

"Kyle?" Jarod asked, lower lip trembling in disbelief.

"I want you to do me a favor. A big favor." Kyle continued, watching Jarod carefully. Jarod nodded.

"Anything!"

"I want you to forgive Lyle. For Emily's sake. Forgive him once and for all. Start over, with a clean slate." Jarod's mouth twisted into a small frown, and his eyebrows burrowed.

"But, Kyle!"

"You said 'anything', Jarod." Kyle reminded him gently. Jarod's head dropped, and he nodded.

"Okay. I'll forgive him- for you and for Emily."

"Thanks, Big Bro. I'd hug you, but it's against the rules." He waved, as he backed away, then disappeared. Thomas looked around him, almost as if he were afraid someone was listening, then stepped closer to Jarod.

"She's still alive, Jarod. She's not here yet. Take good care of her for me, okay? She needs you now. Whether she admits it or not, she trusts you. Don't hurt her." And with that, Thomas was gone.


Jarod snapped back to the present with a small start, and found that Lyle was eyeing him. Jarod glanced over at Emily, before taking a seat next to Lyle. He swallowed hard before he spoke.

"Things have happened in the past, and I'm not going to bring up specifics right now. I just want you to know that you're forgiven." Lyle looked up sharply at him, and studied him for several minutes before replying.

"Seriously?"

"Yes." Jarod nodded, meeting Lyle's eyes. "Let's start clean."

"I know you're doing it for her, Jarod. And I can't thank you enough. I know I don't deserve it." Lyle caressed Emily's limp hand as he spoke, and Jarod noticed but said nothing about it.

"You know, I didn't decorate all those extra bedrooms upstairs in baseballs and dolls for the adults. How about we give Ben the directions to this place?" Jarod offered.

"That'd be great. I still feel guilty about leaving him with all five kids like that." Lyle murmured in reply.

"I'll call him. You should probably get some sleep. There's a bed in the next room over." Jarod added, knowing Lyle wouldn't accept but offering anyway.

"No thanks. I think I'll just stay here." Lyle replied softly. "With Emily."