Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A/N: It's finished! It's finished! You have, in your monitor right now, the LAST CHAPTER OF PORTRAIT! Don't worry...I'm working on a sequel. It's not really over yet, folks.

Portrait of a Killer
10/10
By RRP



Jon Rand roamed the near-empty halls, occasionally passing a few Agents or SWAT members handcuffing someone and leading them out of the building. He held his arm, wincing when someone bumped into him. It was nothing more than a flesh wound, and he had already slipped into a store room to grab some gauze, which he had applied himself.

So, with his arm taped, he had decided to patrol the area, make sure the men didn't get too rough when handling some of the techies and anxious mail clerks, and generally see who was still inside the building. He hadn't seen Lyle yet, or Miss Parker, and that worried him.

No doubt Jarod, who had insisted on being involved, had already found Miss Parker, and was helping her to the plane. They could, for what Rand knew, already be gone. Lyle however, was a different story, so Rand was keeping an eye out for him.

It had been a two-hour fight, the powers that be resisting until the last minute. Rand himself had barely missed an unfriendly bullet. After the two hours of heated fighting, the Centre had given up, and the past three hours had been spent getting doctors and nurses into the infirmaries to take care of the ill, and getting the other assorted people out. Rand's thoughts were interrupted by a cell-phone ringing, and with a jolt, he realized it was his own.

"Rand here." He answered, thankful to be able to use his own name- his real name, again.

"Dad!" A voice exclaimed happily. "How are you? Did you get hurt?"

"Hey, Deb." Rand replied with a smile, stepping aside to let an Agent and a handcuffed man pass. "Yeah, I'm fine. A little brush in the arm, but nothing serious."

"Oh good!" Debbie sighed in relief. "I stopped by about an hour ago to see if you were alright, but I couldn't get anything out of the men outside. But I did pick someone up."

"Lyle?" Rand asked hopefully.

"No. Angelo. They were trying to put him in a car, and he was hysterical. I got him, and brought him home. He's playing go-fish with me."

"Okay. If he gives you any trouble, you have Sydney's number, right?"

"Yep. Come home safely, Dad."

"I will." Rand hung up after he heard a click on the other line, and he sighed, mentally scolding himself for forgetting about Angelo. He heard a yell behind him, and turned to see Agent Lesley Simon waving at him. Simon jogged over, Major Charles and Jack Ryan following.

"Simon. Good to see you in one piece." Simon, a tall man with brown skin and a shaved head, laughed.

"And you, Rand. However chipped. These two wanted to see you."

"Yeah?" Rand turned to Major Charles and Jack Ryan, a grin lingering on his face.

"The plane is ready, as soon as you are. Have you found Lyle or Miss Parker?" It was Major Charles who spoke, and Rand shook his head.

"Have you heard from Jarod? I can't find him either."

"Yes. But not in the past thirty minutes. Which makes me suspicious." Major Charles said with a frown, though his eyes were twinkling. "Patrick's on the plane. He was scaring some of the Agents."

"How so?" Rand asked, genuinely interested. Even Simon leaned forward a bit to hear.

"It seems that when Jarod was walking around on the main level, and outside, Patrick was following him. Jarod would stop to talk to someone, and about thirty seconds after he had gone, Patrick would purposely show up and talk to the same person. I found him trying to convince someone that they hadn't even been introduced. I put him in the plane, and told him to keep an eye on everything."

"Good." Rand chuckled. "Though a source of humor, now's not the best time to distract my guys. You two need something to do, or are you going to take a break?"

"I think I may go take a breather." Major Charles nodded to Rand. He nodded to Simon as well, saying, "I can find my way out of here. One time in this building is enough to remember it forever." Jack Ryan stayed where he was, and cleared his throat before he ventured to say,
"I can stay and help. What can I do, sir?" Simon clapped Ryan on the back.

"Now I like him, Rand. We could use someone like him on our team." Rand nodded with a smile, and said in a serious tone.

"If you want to think about it later, Ryan, just tell me. I can always pull up an opening. Meanwhile, we've got to find Lyle and Parker, not to mention Jarod."

"I think I've found Lyle." Jack Ryan said, mid-nod. He pointed down the hall to an angry and confused looking Lyle, who was frustrating the Agents trying to handcuff him, by slipping his left hand out of the handcuffs every time they shut the lock. Rand stalked forward, quickly identifying one of the Agents as Japanese-American Micah Daniels.

"Leave him alone." Rand ordered. Lyle looked up in surprise.

"Broots?"

"Rand!" Daniels snapped. "Isn't this-" He was cut off, by Rand.

"I said leave him alone, Daniels."

"But-" Rand put a warning hand on Daniels arm.

"I said leave him alone." Rand growled. Daniels frowned at the floor, and stepped back.

"Whatever, Rand." Rand looked at Daniels, and wordlessly put out a hand. The keys to the handcuffs were slapped in his palm a second later. Simon and Ryan watched from behind, as Rand unlocked the cuffs, and pocketed them.

"Simon, take him to Jarod's plane."

"Sure thing." Simon nodded, confusion written on his face. Rand sighed heavily, and nodded to Ryan.

"Can you give us a minute?" Ryan nodded, and stepped back a couple of feet, turning around so he wasn't facing Rand and Daniels. The other Agents had become scarce when Rand's voice lowered, and Daniels was the only one left. "Daniels," Rand began. "I know what I said, but maybe I was wrong."

"Rand, he murdered people! Lots of people!" Daniels shot back, voice dangerously high-pitched, stressing the word 'murdered'.

"He's got a family, Daniels. Four kids and a wife, who trust him. He's changed, for real. It's been seven years now, and he was never an official case to begin with. The Bureau always drops non-offs after three years."

"But..." Daniels was weakening, but continued to protest.

"Is this about Lissa?" Rand asked, concern appearing among the mix of emotions. Daniels slowly shook his head.

"Kinda, I guess. I know it wasn't him that killed my sister, but...it's hard to watch someone like that walk away."

"I understand, Daniels, I really do, but sometimes giving someone a second shot at life is more important than justice. A little mercy. I believe he's changed, but if he starts looking suspicious, I'll pull him. For now, as long as he's safe, just let him have a family. Live the life we grew up with. Okay?"

"Yeah." Daniels nodded. "I'm sorry I blew up like that..."

"Apology accepted. Take a twenty minute break. I think they've got coffee outside, go grab a cup. If you think you're not going to be able to control yourself, then call it quits for the day. I'd rather be one man short than two men dead. Deb's at my house in 'Cove, and she can make you some coffee there." Rand grinned- it wasn't uncommon knowledge that the young, spiky haired Agent liked Debbie. "I think I trust you enough. Just to be safe, take Jack Ryan here with you."

"That sounds like a good idea." Daniels returned the grin. He turned to Ryan. "Jack Ryan? Like in the-"

"Don't say it." Ryan cut him off.

"I just meant the-"

"Don't say it." Ryan replied, punctuating each word. "Other than that, we should get along. Just don't even say Clancy."

"Gotcha." Daniels nodded, and the two disappeared down the hall. Rand shook his head, and continued on his quest to SL-19. It was time to find Miss Parker.

---


Miss Parker had woken up five hours ago, when all the commotion started. She hadn't been able to go back to sleep since. Her chest didn't hurt too much, but she was afraid that if she sat up, she would blow what little cover she had- if it was still needed. So, bored and impatient, she waited.

It was nearing five and a half hours, when she saw figure slip into the room behind the curtain. The curtain was cautiously pulled back, and Jarod stood before her, an anxious look in his eyes. Her own eyes lit up, and she couldn't figure out why. She had a feeling the game of, 'I run, you catch', was over, and she knew that she felt something for him- she just wasn't sure she was ready to accept that.

"Miss Parker?" He croaked out in a near-whisper.

"Hey, Wonderboy. What took you so long?" She shot back with a smile. He was at her bedside in a flash, and she struggled to sit up. It was harder than she had expected it to be, and Jarod surprised her slightly by sliding some pillows behind her back to make it easier. "Thanks." She murmured. Jarod was fidgeting with something in his pocket, and Miss Parker eyed him suspiciously. "How come I get the feeling you're about to say something that's going to dramatically change my life?"

"Umm...because I am?" Jarod replied. "I know this isn't the best time, but I couldn't wait any longer. I nearly died myself when I thought you had died, I beat myself up every day I couldn't save you. I was lost without you, Parker. Lost."

"Just get to the point." She prompted. Jarod whipped a small box out of his pocket, and held it out to her.

"Will you marry me? Please?" He asked, nervously waiting for an answer. Her eyes brimmed with tears, and it was only when he asked that she realized how ready she was.

"Yes. I will." She choked out, as he slipped a diamond cut ring onto her finger. Jarod pulled her into a hug, and she cried- nearly sobbed- into his shoulder. The tears were a mix of joy, relief, and sadness for the years lost. Time that would never be regained. Miss Parker understood that. She understood, and it was partly why she cried, that after all the time passed, she was nearing the age where she would be too old to have children, as was Jarod.

"I love you, Maggie." Jarod whispered. Parker sniffled at the use of her name.

"Jarod, do me a favor." She mumbled into his shoulder.

"Hmm?"

"Just call me Parker for now. It's going to take some time."

"Sure, Parker. Anything you want."

"Let's get out of here, then." Even though she said it, she didn't really want to move right away. She felt safer in Jarod's arms than she had felt for years.

So that's how Jon Rand found them, ten minutes later. He entered the room, and came to a dead stop. He took a step backwards, and cleared his throat.

"Um..I guess I'm interrupting something. I'll just wait outside." Miss Parker sniffled again, and shook her head. She looked at him, and cocked her head inquisitively. Instead of the normal, nervous techie Broots she was used to, she saw a man wearing black slacks, white shirt, and holster complete with guns. His left sleeve was ripped, and there was a bit of blood on it. He also held himself straighter, looked calmer and more in control. Jarod looked as well, and spoke.

"Hey, Rand. I guess we can go. She probably needs some rest, and it's high time we got out of here."

"Rand?" Miss Parker questioned. "What am I missing here?" The man she knew as Broots stepped forward and extended his hand.

"I don't think we've been honestly introduced." Miss Parker was immediately struck by his choice of words. "I'm Special Agent Jon Rand, FBI."

"FBI?" She demanded suddenly. Confusion, anger, and an overwhelming sense of betrayal was growing inside her. He pulled his hand back, and leant over, so he was closer to her face, yet far enough away that it was still modest- just serious and honest.

"I was doing my job, that was all. Yes, there were times when I wished it was simpler, and I was just Broots. Other times, I kept up the game so I could eventually bring this place down. Today, that dream was realized. I don't care what the reports say, what the badge says, what my ID card says- the past ten years have been the most realistic years of my life. There are only a few moments I regret, and none of them have anything to do with you or Sydney. I still care about all of you, and I'm not going to just disappear now. Yes, I was lying, but no, I'm not going to run away. I might have been wrong to lie to you like that, but I didn't have a choice. I hope you can understand that." Miss Parker slowly nodded, but she knew she would need more time to digest all the information.


"Let's take you home." Jarod announced, breaking the silence.

"And where would home be, brave knight?" She asked, smiling up at him. It was then that Rand noticed the ring on her hand, and let out a little gasp that Miss Parker instantly knew could only come from her Broots. The lovable moron was still within.

"Home would be wherever we're together- that is, the Runway house in Maine for now."

"Let's go."

"Can you stand up, or shall I carry you?" Jarod asked, concern etched in his features. Miss Parker debated for a second, then stretched out her arms.

"Carry me. It'll be my first independent step towards co-dependence." Jarod grinned, and obliged. Rand led the way to the elevator, and out of the building to the plane. Miss Parker blushed fiercely when they passed all the Agents and SWAT members, suddenly aware that she was in nothing more than a hospital gown. Jarod seemed to sense her discomfort, and somehow managed to cover her with his jacket.

They boarded the plane, and Jon Rand shut the door after them, but not before informing them of his plans.

"I've got some things to finish here. I'll be there in a few days, with Deb, Angelo, and Ryan." Jarod nodded, and the door slammed shut. Jarod gave Major Charles and Patrick a thumbs up, and sat down next to Miss Parker as the plane turned around on the runway, and began gaining speed. He looked down at her, and she nodded to a form across the aisle.

Lyle sat, his chair leaned back a bit, his eyes closed.

"The whole thing was hard on him, Jarod." She murmured. Jarod brushed a hair back from her forehead.

"It was hard on everyone. But it's all over now. The Centre is destroyed, and we're safe. He can rest now, and he's got Emily and the kids waiting for him at the house. They have a house and a life to go back to. We've got each other, and Sydney and Angelo. Even Rand, for what that's worth."

"Aric Joel." Miss Parker added, leaning her head on Jarod's shoulder. Just a few months ago, she wouldn't have dared, but now she was engaged to the man, as well as exhausted. "Jarod."

"Yeah?"

"What happened to Sam? I heard someone saying he was dead."

"He's alive, and at the house. He was going to come with us, but AJ wouldn't let him."

"AJ wouldn't?" Miss Parker asked with a smile. Jarod nodded, the disbelief clear in his own eyes.

"Those two are so strange. I've never seen a little kid react to a big guy with a gun, and vice versa, the way those two get along."

"Hmm..." Miss Parker replied, the smile growing even wider. "I can't wait to see everyone."

"Meanwhile, get some sleep." Jarod said softly, running a hand through her hair. "I'm staying right here."

"Good." She murmured. "Good." The plane was a comfortable degree of heat, and Jarod's shoulder was warm, as well as moving up and down with his breathing pattern, and it slowly lulled her into a peaceful sleep.

---


"Ahem." Major Charles stood up, and tapped his glass. Everyone stopped, and looked up. Two tables had been put end to end, and the two now hosted eighteen people. Major Charles cleared his throat, and began.

"The past few years, for some, a lifetime, have been stressful, hard on everyone, as well as nearly killing some. Some we actually went as far as to presume dead. But somehow, we managed to survive. I'd like to give a personal thanks to everyone here, if you don't mind." When the response was strongly affirmative, he started again. "First, to Jarod, Patrick and Emily, for being wonderful children even if we couldn't grow up together. To Sydney, for raising my son when I was unable to. To Lyle, for taking care of my little girl. To Charlie, Maddy, Cat and Spider for being great grandkids, unafraid to open their hearts to a near-stranger, even if he was their grandfather. To AJ, for believing in everyone, and for being perceptive and wise beyond his years, when we needed it most. To Jack Ryan, for being a wonderful young man to talk to, as well as going into a dangerous situation and risking his life for a group of crazy people who he wasn't even able to call family at that point. Please always feel welcome here. To Jon Rand, for accepting a nearly impossible assignment and going beyond and above requirement to save and protect those he grew to care about. To his daughter Debbie, who has wonderful potential as a baby-sitter, as well as backing up her Dad in every decision he made. That takes dedication. To Ben Miller, for being a nearly-unnoticed rock of calm during the storm we've been surviving through, never questioning decisions or being too inquisitive when we needed our space. To Angelo, for saving everyone's life at one time or another. To Sam, for I hear it was his plan that got my Emily out of the Centre, as well as being a great friend to a certain little boy. To Miss Parker, for never failing to bring that light into my son's eyes." Several tears fell during the monologue, and Major Charles himself was wiping away a tear.

Just as he finished, and started to sit down, there was a noise outside, and voice.

"I hope we're not too late. I knew we should have come sooner." Jarod and Miss Parker shot each other looks, and Jarod rushed to open the door. Ethan stood before him, grinning like an idiot, duffel bags in hand.

"Jarod! Hope we're not intruding."

"We?"

"Brought someone you might want to meet." Ethan jerked his head towards a lady coming up the steps. It hit Jarod who she was almost instantly, but he froze- shocked and unable to react.

"Who is it?" Miss Parker asked, as everyone at the table stood up at nearly the exact same time, moving towards the door. Ethan stepped past Jarod into the house, and set the bags down. The lady stood in front of Jarod, and looked up into his eyes for a full thirty seconds, before hugging him fiercely. Jarod was still unable to move or speak, and barely remembered to hug her in return.

"Mom..." He croaked. Emily and Major Charles were there in a flash, hugging and kissing, and Ethan strode over and hugged Miss Parker.

"She told me she loves you. She's happy we're finally meeting like this. She's wanted it to be this way for a long time." Ethan told Miss Parker, voice cracking. He didn't need to tell Miss Parker who 'she' was. Tears were flowing down Miss Parker's face, as well as Jarod, Emily, Margaret, Major Charles, and Ethan's. After initial hugs had been exchanged, Patrick hesitantly stepped forward.

"Um..you probably didn't even know I existed...I'm uh, Patrick."

"Gemini!" Margaret gasped. Patrick nodded, lowering his head. Margaret pulled him into a hug as well. "It's good to finally meet you."

"Family happy, now." Angelo said, breaking the wordless silence. "The Centre is gone, the family is whole. They tried to break you, but they failed. They will always fail, for family is always stronger. The evil are gone, and the good have returned. It is safe to return to the light, for the light no longer means danger as it once did. The lies have withered in the heat of the sun, and faded away with the cleansing rain. The moist ground springs forth anew with life. There is no fear, for there is nothing to be afraid of. But it is not over, for there are still lives to live. Do not lose hope, no matter how hard it will be. Do not give up, for it is always worth fighting for." Six jaws dropped in sync, and all eyes were locked on Angelo.

"Angelo?" Debbie spoke first, stepping forward. Angelo looked over at her with tears in his eyes.

"Brief understanding, Little Deb. Gone now." With those words, he turned and fled upstairs. Debbie and Sydney looked at each other for a short second, before following. There was a pause, and then the reunion become noisy again.

"Dinner! It's getting cold!" Charlie cried out after nearly ten minutes of tearful explanations and hugs. Wet eyes were dried, and people sniffled as they returned to the table. Two more chairs were pulled up, and Margaret was given a seat beside Major Charles, and Ethan by Miss Parker.

Jarod looked around the table at the many faces, noting the fact that Angelo, Debbie, and Sydney were still absent. Even as he noticed, Debbie and Sydney came down the stairs. Debbie returned to her seat, and Sydney walked over to Jarod, and whispered in his ear.

"Angelo doesn't want to eat. He's upstairs in his bed, and I think he's asleep."

"Think?"

"He locked the door." Sydney replied with concern filled eyes.

"Hmm..." Jarod frowned, and sighed. "I'll go talk to him."

"Eat first, Jarod. Angelo will be find." Sydney kept him from standing up with a firm hand on his shoulder. Jarod looked around the table to see his mother and father- his family- and he nodded.

"Okay, Sydney." Sydney returned to his seat- neither noticed when Ethan quietly slipped away from the table.

Upstairs, in the small room they had given him, Angelo sat on the bed, staring out the window to the darkening night sky. A soft knock on the door startled him- he thought they had finally gone away. Then, a voice spoke softly,

"Angelo. It's me, Ethan." Angelo crossed the room in a few steps, and opened the door, waving Ethan inside. Once Ethan was in the room, Angelo reshut the door, and locked it once again.

"Yes?" Angelo asked quietly, resuming his seat on the bed. Ethan sat down next to him.

"It can't go on forever, you know. The Centre is gone, and you can tell them. You'll be safe. They'll be safe."

"I know, Ethan. It's just hard. How do I tell them they've been deceived yet again? That all these years, it was no more than a Pretend?"

"An Oscar-Worthy one at that. I think they'll come to understand." Ethan answered. "But you must tell them. She wants you to tell them. She also wants to know how you managed to come up with such a plan at such a young age." Ethan said solemnly. Angelo turned to him with a glint of amusement in his eyes.

"She wants to know? Or do you want to know?"

"We both want to know." Ethan replied with a laugh, his answer keeping him in the safe zone. "We have time. The rest are eating."

"Okay." Angelo took a deep breath. "I had seen Jarod working on a Pretend three days before It happened. I was grasping ideas and concepts quicker than even they expected, partially due to the fact that I was already a strong empath. I kept everything hidden from them, and managed to trick them into thinking I wasn't as smart as Jarod. After Raines hooked me up to his machine, and flipped the switch, it gave me a slight shock- I overreacted, just to give him a show. After Catherine came in and found me, and Raines renamed me Angelo, I decided to see how long I could keep my Pretend up and running. The days turned into weeks, the weeks into months, and the months into years. It became normal and easy to do, and I not once after the first ten years considered telling them what I could really do."

"That's amazing." Ethan breathed out, looking down at the floor. "All that time..."

"All that time..." Angelo echoed. "You're the only one who ever found me out."

"It was because of her, you know. She told me."

"I guessed that." Angelo returned with a small smile. "Meanwhile, I must go to sleep. To keep up the game, you know."

"I know, my friend. It's all to keep up the game. Good night." Ethan left the room with the whispered words, and Angelo laid down on the bed. After a few minutes, he forced himself to sleep.

---


Miss Parker leaned against the wall, halfway to the bed. Almost there, she told herself resolutely. Only a few more steps. She stepped forward again, and found a warm arm supporting her around the waist. She looked up into Jarod's eyes, and he looked down at her with a slightly scolding expression.

"You overdid it." He stated. "Tomorrow you're staying in bed." He helped her the rest of the way to the bed, and flipped the covers back. Miss Parker slid under them with a grateful sigh, and Jarod tucked the covers under her chin. He sat down on the edge of the bed, and brushed a strand of hair back from her forehead.

"I'm not staying in bed tomorrow, Jarod." She finally spoke, and he shook his head with an impish smirk.

"Oh yes you are."

"No, I'm not."

"Who's ring are you wearing?"

"Mine. You gave it to me." Jarod laughed, and Miss Parker wished he would do so again. His laugh sounded so free- happy. He leaned over and kissed her on the forehead, before standing up to leave. "Where are you going?" She demanded. He turned, with a look of surprise.

"The couch. Where I've been sleeping."

"Stay with me?" Miss Parker asked. Jarod nodded, and walked back to the bed, and around to the other side. He took off his shirt, and tugged off his pants, leaving only his boxers on, and slid into the bed behind her. Jarod seemed to hesitate, then slipped an arm around her waist. Miss Parker leaned into his warmth, and smiled. "Thanks." She whispered.

"Don't think of it." He replied quietly. "This is one of the best days of my life. I've found my Mom, and my family is all together. I'm engaged to the love of my life, and I've got two wonderful brother-in-laws, despite the past of one of them. I've got four great nieces and nephews, a father, and two siblings. Not to mention a half-brother."

"Jarod?"

"Hmm?"

"Do you want to have kids?" Miss Parker nearly feared the answer- afraid that she would be wrong, and his answer would be completely different from what she had always expected it to be.

"Yes. But don't you think we're both getting a little old for that? We could always adopt."

"Yes. We could adopt." She agreed, happy with the answer. It had been what she thought it would be. "I noticed you got a haircut."

"Dad made me cut it off." Jarod replied with a pout.

"Go Major Charles." Miss Parker returned with a smile. "You look sexier with shorter hair."

"Hey! I liked it long!" He answered, attempting to sound hurt, and failing miserably. "But you should sleep now." He placed a kiss on the top of her head, and fell silent.

Soon, the sound of two people, breathing steady and in sync, filled the room.

---


A/N: Thanks for reading! Now click the review button, and you might get the first chapter of the sequel before February 12th! I made 'Margaret' Miss Parker's name as well, for the following reasons:
1. Catherine knew Margaret Charles, right? Why not name her daughter after a friend?
2. If so, it's a good reason for Mr. Parker to insist that everyone call his daughter Miss Parker.
I don't even really like the name, myself. Oh well. Charles is the last name I used because, what else would Major Charles use after a military title except his last name? I've never heard anyone calling Eisenhower, General Dwight.

RRP