Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Sydney was certain that the grip on his arm was going to leave a bruise, but he said nothing as he was shoved down the corridor and then brusquely into another room. Lyle followed him in, and slammed the door shut behind them, the heaviness of the metal sending a thudding sound all the way through Sydney’s bones. The room was stark, with only a chair in the center of it, bright white lights and a long chain in the ceiling, a fire hose attached to a spigot on the side wall, and a drain in the floor. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to know what types of activities took place here. Sydney turned and faced Lyle, his hands demurely clasped in front of him. He stared at the smaller man, his gaze pitched to intimidate. Lyle smiled at him.

“Really, Sydney, such moxie, I would never have guessed that you could muster this kind of effort. Bravo!”

An elegant eyebrow raised slightly, but the doctor’s lips remained tightly pulled together in a straight and unamused line. Lyle moved forward slightly, and held his arms out, indicating the room.

“Welcome to my own, private playground. I’m sure you’d be very interested in the types of recreation that transpire in here. Perhaps you’d like to find out, first-hand?”

Seeing the scare-tactic for what it was, and determined not to let Lyle rile him, Sydney remained silent, plastering a look of complete non-interest on his face.

“Cat got your tongue, doc?” Lyle approached the chair and put a hand on it. “My sister didn’t really care for her time in here, but then, I guess we can’t really blame her, can we?” He waited for a rise from Sydney, but the psychiatrist managed to keep his bored countenance in tact. “We actually have a lot of flexibility in terms of activities. For example, Miss Parker hung from the chain in the ceiling for the better part of four hours, and played the part of the piņata for my new sweeper, Manny. I’m just not sure we should have used a wooden bat, lead pipes produce much more devastating results, don’t you think?” Lyle thought he saw a slight twinge in Sydney’s eyes, and had to hide his own smile. “After she passed out though, we had to resort to the fire hose, but then, that’s why we have a drain in the floor. But I’ll bet the power of that hose cut into her broken ribs something fierce!”

Sydney’s hands clenched tightly, and he had to call upon every last bit of control at his disposal to keep from ripping Lyle’s face off. For his part, the younger man could see that he was getting to the doctor, and he allowed a slight smile to light his lips as he continued his narrative.

“At first she managed to keep any sounds to herself. You know how stubborn she is, and she simply refused to give me the pleasure of hearing her scream.” He noticed that the doctor’s knuckles were beginning to turn white from wringing his own hands so tightly, and Lyle knew he was close to a breaking point. “It was really an amazing piece of work to witness, Sydney,” Lyle leaned in closer, as if sharing an intimate moment with a close friend, “by the time Manny broke her leg, she let loose with a caterwaul the likes of which you can’t--”

And Sydney had reached the end of his patience. In a swift move, he grabbed Lyle by the throat and rammed him up against the nearest wall with a thud. The doctor’s voice was pointed and dangerous.

“What I can’t believe is that you came from the same DNA as Miss Parker - you’re a pathetic piece of garbage, Lyle, not fit to wipe up the foulest toilet.”

Lyle wheezed from having the air knocked out of him, but eeked out a response. “Funny you should bring up DNA--”

Sydney squeezed hard on Lyle’s trachea and the smaller man rasped for air as the doctor spoke quietly to him. “Don’t you dare speak to me of that, not now, not ever. Nor will you lay so much as a hand either personally or vicariously on Miss Parker, or I’ll do a lot worse than just kill you.” Sydney put yet more pressure on Lyle’s throat, and lowered his timbre yet further, demonstrating his resolve. “I also have every intention of doing what Raines wants, so this little bully session isn’t necessary; however, if you want to walk out of here in the same condition you walked in, Lyle, there is something that I want...”