Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I wrote this story for fun. Don't sue me Blah, blah, blah, blah. The characters aren't mine, blah blah blah, they are characters in The Pretender, owned now by TNT and aired on WB blah blah blah, You know the drill.
Author's note: 1)I don't like saying "So-and-so belongs to me!" because it makes me sound to much like Mr. Rains, but if you would like to.....include Kala in one of your stories, please ask my permission first. 2) DON'T SUE ME!!! 3) I'm only 12, cut me some slack!





It’s Ok To Cry
part 7
By Devil’s Child





Things had run smoothly the next few days, Jarod was as carefree as a butterfly, Parker was doing her best to hide her tears, every time he saw him, and succeeded for the most part. She had to make up one lame story that they were tears of 'happiness' for him, and for having her daughter back. Sydney tried to keep everyone calm. He stayed in touch with Broots and Angelo, who were doing fine. He suggested they get away from the Centre as soon as possible, because the Centre might harass them for answers. Broots took the hint and decided to leave very soon, and join them in the cabin. Kala....well Kala did just about everything: kept people and places in check, made sure there were no emotional eruptions, and took care of the baby. But for the most part, she comforted Parker, trying to reassure her that everything would be ok. A week after Jarod's father called, it was time for him to leave. Ethen, Jarod, Parker and Kala climbed out of the cabin on a bright sunny, Monday morning. Sydney stayed to take care of Kyle Jacob, while the rest went to see Jarod off. They hiked back down the long trail to Ben's Inn, where Major Charles, Emily, JJ and Zoe would be waiting. Zoe had demanded that she be able to tag along, arguing that it wasn't safe for her to go home. The Major agreed, knowing that Zoe really wanted to see Jarod. Kala and Ethen were leading the way, closely followed by Jarod and Parker. They walked in silence for almost the whole way, only speaking to change directions. It took them even longer then the first time, because no one but Jarod was looking forward to this. They agreed NOT to tell anyone who Kala really was, but instead pretend she was Miss Parker's daughter, who had been at boarding school.

When they reached the rocky narrow part, they were forced to walk single file, Kala, Ethen, Parker, Jarod, down a steep cliff of gravel. As they neared the end, Kala and Ethen somehow wound up far ahead of Parker and Jarod. Kala called back to them to watch their footing near the end, but they couldn't hear. Parker slipped over a slimy rock and would have fallen all the way down on her back, if it hadn't been for Jarod's strong grip, grasping her shoulder. He stopped and pulled her gently to her feet. They stood staring at each other for a moment, before she muttered a thanks and continued down the hill. Jarod stood transfixed for a moment, then, snapping himself out of his trace and followed her. "Snap out of it," he muttered.

When they reached the Inn, Ben, Charles, JJ and Zoe were all sitting on the steps outside.

Zoe saw them first, and leaping up, ran full speed and plunged head long into Jarod.

"Zoe!" he cried, picking her up and swinging her around in a circle. As they kissed passionately, Kala watched her mother's expression.

When Jarod's feet landed back to earth, he saw the rest of his family. Emily had joined them a few moments ago, and now came rushing over.

"Jarod!" she, like Zoe had, threw herself at him. After all the hugs were given out, everyone went inside. All, that is, except Miss Parker. Kala went to spend as much time with her father before he left, but regretted leaving her mother. But, a few moments later, JJ came outside and sat on the steps beside her.

"I remember you," he said, looking up at the normally strong woman. "You tried to help me escape the Centre," he recalled. She glanced down at him and smiled, but merely nodded her head. "How's you back?" he asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Huh?"

"Your back: from when you were shot." He looked at her strangely wondering why she was so sad.

"Oh, it's fine. Thank you," she added, flashing him another smile. But it to quickly disintegrated into a heartbreaking expression.

"Are you ok?" he asked again, concerned.

She sighed. "I'm sorry," she said honestly. "I just don't feel well," she lied.

JJ looked at her suspiciously. He shook his head. "Uh uh," he said firmly. "That's not it, is it?" He looked at her expectantly.

"It is the truth......it's just half of it," she confessed.

JJ nodded in understanding. "You're gonna miss him, aren't you?" he asked quietly. She looked at him in shock. But JJ just shrugged his shoulders. "It's kinda obvious. Besides I'm a pretender, remember?"

She grinned slightly and nodded. "I remember," she assured him.

They sat in silence for a moment, before JJ leapt up and started running into the house. He paused at the door and hollered, "I'll be right back!" With that, he ran inside.

Miss Parker sighed, and stood up. Crossing the trimmed lawn, she stopped in front of an old oak tree, and leaned against it, facing away from the house. She let her mind wander, and didn't hear the door shut, or JJ bridge the space between them.

"Pretty, isn't it?" he asked, indicating to the green hills that spread for miles around. Miss Parker jumped and spun around, but when she saw it was only JJ, she relaxed. "Sorry," he muttered. "Didn't mean to scare you."

"It's fine. I'm used to it." She smiled, then looked inquisitively at a small box he had in his hand. He opened the velvet box and handed her a charm bracelet.

"I found it in an antique store when my Dad and I were looking around. Jarod told me that you liked to dance, so I thought you'd like it. Something to repay your kindness," he blushed.
It was a charm bracelet, with little ballerinas all around, each in a different position.

"Oh, JJ," she whispered. "It's beautiful!" She wrapped her arms around him, pulling him into a warm embrace. And for once in his life, he really felt safe. JJ couldn't understand why Jarod was so hostile when he spoke of her, she was really nice. After letting him go, she slipped the charms over one delicate hand, and fastened it so it wouldn't fall off. She thanked him again, as they made their way back to the Inn. When they got inside, everyone was talking about the plan. Miss Parker didn't really care, but sat down anyway, to be polite. Ben was in the kitchen making tea, and everyone else was gathered around the table, listening. JJ sat down beside Miss Parker, and took her hand gently. She held his hand and winked at him subtly so no one noticed. He grinned.

"Everybody got it?" The Major's voice cut through the silence and everyone's head nodded up and down. Suddenly JJ spoke up.

"Dad?" he asked. All heads turned. "Dad, can I stay here? With Miss Parker?" he shot a glance at the extremely surprised woman, and suppressed a laugh.

"Um, son...this is a once in a life time opportunity. You're gonna meet your mother!" Charles was dumbfounded. He never thought his 'son' would want to miss out on this.

"I know. But...if it's ok, I'd rather stay with Miss Parker and Sydney. They did try to help me escape. I owe being here to them."

"JJ, you don't have to do that. The Major's right, it's a once in a life time chance," Miss Parker told him.

"Yeah, I know. But I'd rather stay with you. Can I?" he asked, now unsure of what her answer would be.

"I-well, if you really want to," she said hesitantly. JJ nodded quickly.

"I'm do," he said firmly.

"JJ, don't you want to meet your mother?" Jarod asked, still rather shocked.

"She's not my mother," he reminded them. "I know she means a lot to you, and Miss Parker means a lot to me. You understand, don't you?" he looked from one stunned person to the next. There was a long pause, before Jarod nodded.

"Yeah, I understand. If you're sure....?"

He smiled at a teary eyed Miss Parker, and replied, "I'm sure."

"OK, then. Jarod, Emily, Zoe and I will go look for Margaret. Right?" Everyone nodded their heads in agreement.

60 minutes later, everyone was ready to go their separate ways. All that was left were goodbyes. JJ hugged his brother, and father, and sister and Zoe, Ethen said goodbye to his half brother and sister, and Ben wished everyone luck. Then came time for Miss Parker and Jarod to say goodbye. Ethen and JJ discreetly shooed everyone out of the room, so they could have some privacy. Zoe, of course, didn't understand what all the fuss was about, but reluctantly followed anyway.

She stood, staring out the great window, her back to Jarod. He came up behind her and placed a hesitant hand on her shoulder.

"I won't bite, you know," she said, turning to face him, a small smile playing on her lips

"I wouldn't but it past you," he answered slyly, smiling.

Her face fell back into it's glum look, and she lowered her head. He used one gently finger to lift her chin up so their eyes met.

"Why the glum look?" he asked, noticing it for the first time.

"You know, as much as I hate to admit it, I will miss you," she confided. Jarod stepped back and clutched a hand to his heart.

"Don't give me a heart attack!" he teased. She rolled her eyes and shook her head, the small smile returning-for a moment anyway. "Hey," he stopped pretending (ironically) and cupped her face in his hands. "It's weird. At one point, I couldn't even come near you without a 9mm in my face. Why the change of mind?"

She placed a smaller hand over his larger one, and gently shook her head. "It wasn't a change of mind, it was a change of heart."

Jarod nodded. "I will come back. I promise." With those last words, he gently kissed her forehead, and left the room. She sank onto the window seat and whispered into the air, "That's what they all said."

****
TBC