Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I wrote this story for fun. Don't sue me Blah, blah, blah, blah. The characters aren't mine, blah blah blah, they are characters in The Pretender, owned now by TNT and aired on WB blah blah blah, You know the drill.
Author's note: 1)I don't like saying "So-and-so belongs to me!" because it makes me sound to much like Mr. Rains, but if you would like to.....include Kala in one of your stories, please ask my permission first. 2) DON'T SUE ME!!! 3) I'm only 12, cut me some slack!





It’s Ok To Cry
part 6
By Devil’s Child






Ethan's Place
Small apartment outside Blue Cove

He knew he was lurking to close to the Centre for comfort, but the voices kept telling him someone needed his help. Who, he didn't know. Ethen paced the room, listening intently.

"Agh! Why won't you tell me who it is?" he screamed at the voices. "What?! Miss Parker and Jarod have a what?!" He stopped walking the room, and stood, appalled. "Got to save Kala," he muttered, grabbing his jacket. "Got to save my niece."

****

The Centre
Sim lab
36 hours later

"Come on, Kala, give up." Lyle paced the floor in front of her. I think he's trying to spin the answer's out of you, Kyle thought to her sarcastically.

"Yeah, no kidding." Kala accidently spoke, and Lyle rounded on her.

"What did you say?" He seethed.

"I wasn't talking to you, scumball," she hissed.

"There's no one else to talk to," he proclaimed, hands on hips.

"Ah, unless you hear things. There are demons in the walls that I can hear. Dimwits like you have blocked them out," she answered spookily, toying with him. People in the walls? Kyle asked, chuckling. Hey, it was a spur of the moment decision. Besides, if I'm captive here, can't I at least have a little fun with my tormenters? Kala asked innocently. Why not?

"Demons in the walls?" Lyle threw his head back and laughed evilly. "Since when?"

"Since Allcote came back. You know him, he's the gate keeper of hell. You really should catch up on your studies Lyle, you'll be joining him soon enough." Kala decided to play around with Lyle's brain a bit, and made up stories about Allcote and his gang of deadly men, and how they lived in the walls of The Centre. None of this was true, of course, but who says you can't pretend?

Lyle's face became less and less colorful as Kala made up information to back up her story about Allcote and his goons. Finally, Lyle had enough.

"-and when he gets tired of you, he'll rip your insides out while you're still alive, and feed them to the -"

"Enough!" he roared, his face paler then usual.

"Scared, Lyle? You shouldn't be. Those demons aren't really, unless you believe they are. And what I've described, is nothing worse then what you do." She smiled at him innocently.

"I know, they aren't real.....I'm just tired of your games." He closed in on her, and put his hands on the arms of the chair she was tied to. "Now where is Parker and the baby," he was so close, she could feel his hot, mustard smelling breath on her face.

"Eww!" Kala pulled away and turned up her nose. "Did you eat hot dogs for breakfast so something, cause DAMN your breath stinks!" Lyle pulled away and hissed in her ear,

"This isn't over. I will find out where that child is. And if you won't tell us, we have sweepers hunting everywhere for them."

"You'll never find them. Two people know where they are. And I won't tell you, and neither can he."

Lyle gave her an odd grin. "Who is this, other person you speak of?"

"Not important," she hissed. "Now, if you don't want me to break another bone in your body, take me back to my cell. This...interrogation is finished."

"Fine." He turned toward the door and motioned for the sweepers to come in. They unlocked the cuffs around her wrists and ankles, and removed the blind fold they had placed over her eyes, thinking that way she wouldn't be able to hurt anyone. They shoved her forwards and down the hall. Half way out of the room, Lyle heard her say,

"I know where my own cell is, thank you very much. And- what is up with this place? Does everyone eat mustard for lunch or something. Damn........."

****

5 days later
The Hidden Cabin (again)

Parker had taken a nose dive since the call from Zoe. She wouldn't talk to anyone much about her feelings, once in a while she confided in Sydney, but rarely did that even happen. Jarod didn't even seem to notice. He was to excited about seeing his mother again for the first real time in over 30 years. But Sydney noticed, and it was starting to worry the older man intensely. The only person she would talk to, was the baby. She watched after him the most of all of them. Probably because she's his big sister, Sydney mused. She would feed him, and tell him stories of kings and queens of happy lands. And each story Sydney found a relation to her own life.

"The Princess longed to be free of the castle, but her father was a strong and powerful man, and would not let her go, until she returned the knight to the round table." Each fable had it's own twist. But Kyle Jacob didn't know that, so he just smiled and gurgled happily, as she bounced him up and down on one knee. Sydney wasn't surprised how fast she'd taken to motherhood, she was a natural, just like her mother had been. He even caught her singing him to sleep, walking around the room and rocking him back and fourth.

She seemed happy enough, but part of her was missing. The part of her that was locked away somewhere deep in the Centre's sub-levels. He had heard her, every night since Kala had been taken, cry herself to sleep. He wanted to go comfort her, but knew that he couldn't. She would most likely push him away. Kala was the only person who could really get through to her mother.

****

Same day
The Centre
SL-25

Kala! At the sound of her uncle's voice, Kala sat bolt upright in bed. Kala, someone's coming through the air-vents! She scrambled down off her bunk, just as the grate hit the pillow. A man dressed all in black jumped quietly down to the floor. It was night, and his dark clothes couldn't be seen by the cameras.

I'm Ethen, your uncle. Do you remember me? He couldn't communicate any other way, so he tried to send her a telepathic message. Can you even understand me?

Yes, I hear you. I know who you are. What are you doing here? And how did you get through? That grate dead ends at the wall.

No, it doesn't. Well, technically yes, but it goes up. There's another passage. Come with me.

What about them?

The cameras? I looped them. But they can hear, just not see.

Oh. Good thinking.

So Kala and Ethen scrambled through the air vents, turning one way, then another, until she was completely turned around. But Ethen obviously knew what he was doing. I hope.

Are you sure you know what you're do- But she never finished. As soon as she spoke the words, he opened the last grate, and the moon light filled the sky. Kala took a deep breath of fresh air, for the first time in two weeks.

"Come on," he said, speaking regularly now. "Lets get out of here before they realized I looped the cameras." With that, they set off toward the forest, where there was a small black car parked. They climbed in and headed north. "You know where they are, right?" he asked, looking unsure.

"Yes. I know exactly where they are."

****

Hidden Cabin

"What's the matter with you? One minute you're fine and the next you act like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed!" Jarod argued. Parker had been in a bad mood this morning, trampling everyone (Sydney and Jarod) except Kyle.

"Don't you care!? Don't you care about your daughter in the claws of the Centre?!? Aren't you the least bit worried? Or have you totally forgotten!? The search for your mother seems to have taken top priority, instead of saving our daughter!" She rarely used the word 'our' but now she emphasized it.

Jarod was taken aback. "Oh course I care!" he shouted. "I- I- I don't want to talk about this. This is insane. You know I'd give my life for her-"

"Then why don't you show it!" she screeched, angrier then she had been in a long time. "All you talk about, and all you seem to think about is finding your mother. I'm glad you've found her, if there's one person who deserves a real family it's you. But if you're gonna make that more important then saving my daughter then leave."

"She's my daughter to you know!"

"Yes I know that! But maybe, I'd be more convinced if you'd start showing it!" With that, she huffed off to her room second at the end of the hall, and slammed the door. The picture frames along the walls rattles slightly.

"Damn," he muttered, stalking off to his own room.

****

Ethen's Apartment.

"Ethen?"

"Yeah?"

"Would it be safe to email my mom, or call her? I know she's really worried." Kala asked, silently pleading she could.

"Does she have a secure line?" he asked, looking up from his laptop.

"Yeah. I gave her an unmonitored cell phone before we started this escapade," she told him, excitement rising in her.

"Go for it!"

Kala grabbed the phone faster then a speeding bullet, and dialed the number with lighting fast fingers.

Ring
Ring
Ring

"What!?"

Kala didn't speak. "Hello? Who is this?"

"I'm nobody, who are you?" Kala winked at Ethen, who was looking a bit confused.

"I don't have time for games-" Parker's words caught in her throat, as she recalled an earlier conversation she had had with her daughter before this adventure began.

"Kala?" he voice softened and lowered considerably.

"Yeah."

"Oh, my God...baby are you ok?"She was on the verge of tears.

"I'm fine, Mom. I"m with Ethen. We'll be at the cabin in a few days. He knows a short cut: book 20 airline flights to and from different places, rent three different cars at three different stations, and fly straight there," she said happily.

"You don't know how worried I've been!"

"If it's half as scared as I've been, that I'd never see you or Dad again, I know what you feel," Kala said softly. "This line won't be safe for much longer. I'll call you from Ben's house, and see you in a few days. I love you, Mom."

"I love you to, baby." Kala hung up and set the phone down.

"Ethen?" she asked, staring at the phone in her hands. "When can we leave?"

He smiled. "Right now."

****

The Hidden Cabin

She stared at the phone in her hands and choked back sobs. She didn't hear Syd approach, but felt a strong hand on her shoulder.

"Parker, are you alright?" he asked, genuinely concerned.

She turned and smiled so big Sydney was taken aback. "She's ok," she whispered. "My baby girl's ok!" Sydney grinned broadly, and pulled her in a strong embrace.

"That's wonderful, Miss Parker! That's wonderful!"

"What is?" Jarod came in and saw the two rejoicing. Parker immediately pulled away from him and smiled at him.

"Kala ok! She's with Ethen and they'll be here in a few days."

"That's great! How'd she get out?" he asked, glancing from one to the other.


"Ethen," was all she said, before the baby started crying, and she pushed past Jarod and into Kala's room, which they were using as a nursery. She picked the small boy up and held him close rocking him back and fourth, humming a little tune she made up as a child. Kyle stopped crying and looked at her with light brown eyes. He bat them twice, before sticking his thumb in his mouth and falling back asleep.

****

36 hours later.

"Faster Ethen, faster!" They drove up the hill to Ben's Inn, going as fast as the small vehicle would allow. Kala was out of the car before he even stopped it. She raced into the small house and quickly found Ben.

"Ben! Ben!" she cried, hugging the life from the poor man.

"Kala! So good to see you again, sweet heart! Say, have I ever told you how much you look like your mother?" he teased.

"Only every time I see you!" She laughed. "Look, I can't stay long, I need to get back to the camp site, but I wanted to ask you, did you give him the ring?"

"Yes. He's got it. I just hope he realizes it before he screws things up!" he laughed. Me to!

"Yeah, well gotta go! I'm dying to see my mom!" Kala kissed him on the cheek, and ran out to the car, grabbed her bag, and grabbed Ethen, dragging him up the hill.

"Did you call your parents?" he asked.

"No, no need. We'll be there soon enough."

****

30 minutes later.

Kala made it to the cabin in half the time in usually took, by walking super fast, and running on some occasions.

She brushed aside a small patch of ivy, and inserted a key she brought out of a secret pocket at the hem of her pants. Ethen heard a click, and saw her bend down and scrape away more dead leaves and such, and open a trap door.

"Cool," he muttered, climbing in after her. Shutting the door once he was in, they scrambled down the stairs and into the long hallway that lead to another door. Kala glanced at Ethen, and took a deep breath, she turned the knob.

Poking her head inside, Kala saw everything as it was. She crept silently inside, and motioned with a finger to her lips, that Ethen should keep quiet. She stopped when she heard voices coming from her room.

"So you got a call from Kala? Why didn't you let me talk to her?" Jarod asked, a little more then annoyed.

"She said the line wasn't safe anymore." Parker explained.

"Oh. Are you ok? You've been acting.....weird." he inquired.

"I'm fine. Just thinking," she lied.

"That could be dangerous!" Jarod teased.

There was a silence before she asked, "Have you heard anything about your mother yet?"

"Concerned?" he asked, shocked.

"Just curious," she lied again.

"No. I haven't. Dads' supposed to call me, if there's any news. Why the interest?"

She sighed. "I can't be happy for you is that it? There has to be a catch, to me being caring?"

"That's not what I meant, and you know that." he said calmly.

"Yeah, I know. I'm just saying, that if anyone deserves a real family Jarod, it's you. You've done so much for other people, it's time someone repay you." She blushed slightly, and he smiled.

"Thanks Parker." This startled her.

"What?" he asked, in response to her confused look.

"Nothing. It's just you haven't called me that since we were kids." She tilted her head to one side and gave him an inquisitive look.

"Some old habits just resurface." He shrugged his shoulders.

Kala decided it was time to introduce herself, so she knocked on the closed bedroom door, while Ethen watched quietly from a distance.

"Who is it?" Parker called stupidly. It could only be one person- Sydney. Or so she thought after saying that.

"Nobody. Can I come in?"

Parker dropped the towels she was folding, with shaking hands. She slowly turned, to find herself staring face to face with her reflection 15 years younger. Kala dropped her bag and charged towards her mother, practically strangling her in an embrace.

"Kala!" she cried happily. "Oh, my God!" she pushed Kala at arms length, and looked her over. Pushing a stray hair out of her face, she asked, "Are you ok? Did they hurt you?"

"No, Mom I'm fine. Unless you call trying to scare the answers, agitate the answers, and then spin the answers out of me, I'm fine!" she laughed.

Jarod stood quietly, waiting for his turn. He didn't have to wait long. "Dad!" Kala raced at her father, and he scooped her up in a bear hug.

"Hey Kiddo! You ok? God, we were so worried! Don't do that again!" he teased, setting her down on the floor again.

"I'll try," she answered, hugging him again, before returning to her mothers side. "Oh! Ethen, come on in!" she called, and the younger man came through the doors, and was greeted with hugs from everybody. Then Sydney came in and the whole room was filled with laughter, hugs and kisses.

Kyle Jacob suddenly started crying. Parker picked him up and bounced him up and down, smiling at him and laughing. Almost as soon as the young boy was out of his crib, he smiled and giggled happily.

"How'd you do that?" Jarod asked, amazed.

"He was feeling left out. All alone in his crib, while we're out here rejoicing. I know what it feels like," she responded, while continuing to bounce the baby boy.

"You know," Sydney spoke up, "I think we all would like to know just how you got out."

And so Kala told the story, of the boring escape, and Allcote with the demons in the walls, of how scared Lyle looked.

"He looked like an albino with brown hair!" she chuckled. Parker laughed, picturing her idiotic, psychotic brother as white as a ghost, even Kyle Jacob gurgled his applause. They all sat in the living room, Kala on the middle of the couch, with Parker and the baby on her lap on one side and Jarod on the other. Sydney and Ethen both sat in arm chairs.

"He actually believed that there were demons in the walls?" Sydney asked, perplexed.

"Yeah. Hey, if I knew as much as what goes around in the Centre as he does, then I might think so to."

"Uhums" and "Good Points" were murmured throughout the room.

Then she told him about the gifts.

"You literally threw him against the wall?" Jarod asked, stunned.

"I don't know how, but suddenly I have two new gifts, I've never been able to do that before, and I've never been able to speak telepathically. I might be able to do it again."

"Not right now," Parker said sternly.

OK, Mom. Kala though. Miss Parker looked stunned.

"Did you do that?" she asked.

Yup. And if you can hear me, you might also be able to speak. It doesn't take a lot of concentration for me, but it might for you. Her voice sounded like an echo, instead of real. It sounded far off and distant, but loud and clear.

Um, yeah, can you hear me?

Kala nodded. "That was cool! Now we know, that no matter how far apart we are, I can talk to all of you. Not everyone will be able to respond, but I've learned in the past few days, that if you concentrate enough on the person, it works real easily. If you have the gift, that is," she added.

****

The Centre
SL-10

"What do you mean, she's not there!?" Mr. Parker boomed at the poor man on the other end of the line.

"I-I'm sorry sir, but when Gilligan went to give her her meal and she wasn't there. The security guards around the control box in the Sim Lab are all unconscious and in the infirmary," he squeaked.

"Tell Lyle to get in here NOW!" he roared.

"Y-yes Sir!" Mr. Parker terminated the call, angry as hell.

"Damn it!" He slammed his fist on the table, as Mr. Lyle walked in. He immediately jumped into excuses.

"I don't know how it happened! We've got sweepers searching the perimeter and area and beyond. We will find her!"

"I don't want excuses, Lyle. I'm reassigning you to a different role. I want you to find Jarod and your sister. Do what you want with them, just make sure they don't get away!" he snarled. Lyle knew better then to argue with his father on this.

He nodded his head and left the office, surprised he had gotten away so easily. He sighed. He would have revenge on all of them: Parker, Jarod and the girl, for making his life a living hell.

****

The Major paced the room. Back, forth. Back, forth. Back, forth.

"Could you stop that?" Asked JJ, who was getting dizzy.

Charles sighed, and sat down on the bed next to the boy. "I'm sorry, JJ. It's just- well, I don't know how to tell Jarod that the lead on his mother was only partly a dead end. It's one or the other, but this is absurd. He seemed so excited."

"Yeah," the boy said softly, taking The Major's larger hand, in his smaller one.

"But, I guess there's no use fretting about it. Just tell him and get it over with." Charles stood, and crossed the small room to his laptop, and started typing.

****

Hidden Cabin

"You have a video phone call!" The computer beeped at the six people sitting on the couch.

Jarod stood up and crossed the room to his laptop, typed a few buttons and suddenly his father appeared on the screen.

"Hello, son," he said, unsure of how to share the news.

"Dad! How are you? And JJ and Zoe and Emily?" he asked, rushing through all the people. Miss Parker flinched at the mention of Zoe. Jarod didn't notice.

"We're all fine. It's about your mother."

"You-you found her?" he asked, breathless.

"Sort of. We've been following her for the past week, and we believe she's somewhere in Germany. That's all we've been able to discover. We're thinking about heading that way, but we didn't want to leave without you. So I'm asking, if you would like to join us?" The Major didn't know what Jarod was doing right now, and was unsure what his answer would be.

"Of course!" He breathed a sigh of relief.

"Good. I'll keep you updated." The screen went black, and Jarod sank back in his seat smiling.

"I'm gonna meet my mother!" he whispered. He was so happy, that when he looked over at the three people on the couch, he didn't notice their sad, angry or disappointed expressions.

"That's great Jarod. That's absolutely great!" Parker whispered, desperately fighting tears.
Kala noticed, and placed a secretive, reassuring hand on her mothers'. Jarod skipped down the hall to his room, ignoring the passing glances between them.

Tears sprang to her eyes, and Kala squeezed her hand gently. "Hey, it's alright. He'll come back," Kala said, hoping to God she was right.

****