Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I wrote this story for fun. Don't sue me Blah, blah, blah, blah. The characters aren't mine, blah blah blah, they are characters in The Pretender, owned now by TNT and aired on WB blah blah blah, You know the drill.
Author's note: 1)I don't like saying "So-and-so belongs to me!" because it makes me sound to much like Mr. Rains, but if you would like to.....include Kala in one of your stories, please ask my permission first. 2) DON'T SUE ME!!! 3) I'm only 12, cut me some slack!







It’s Ok To Cry
part 5
By Devil’s Child





The Centre
SL-25
five hours later

Kala was stiff and her side hurt like hell. She knew she was in the Centre before she even opened her eyes. He had told her.

She opened her eyes to bright lights and bars. "Damn," she muttered.

At least they haven't killed you yet! He reminded her.

"Yeah, good point."

"Talking to yourself?" came a voice from behind the chair. Kala recognized it immediately.

"Lyle," she seethed.

"Impressive, Marissa." he taunted.

"Would you rather I call you Bobby?" she asked sarcastically. He was silent. "Then don't call me Marissa."

"Why not sweet cheeks?" he asked, coming around to the other side of the chair and kneeling down in front of her. He ran a finger across her cheek. She spit in his face.

"Same reason you don't want to be called Bobby or Mr. Bowman," she snarled.

"Alright..Kaylee? Kylie? Oh...Kala." he drawled on the answer, and his eyes gleamed with pure hatred.

"I'm just like my mother, Lyle, so if there's something you want cut to the chase and tell me what it is."

"I want to know where the Baby is," he said impatiently.

Kala snorted. "You'll have to kill me and dish the information out of my head with a melon scooper! Really Lyle you should know me better then that. I'd rather die then tell you anything," she said casually, as though nothing about him was intimidating.

"Oh, you'll give in. Weeks in here will scare the answers out of anybody," Lyle smirked and departed.

Well then, Mr. LYLE.....it looks like you've met your match!

****

A Week Later
Run Down Motel
Sunday, 4:09pm
Outside Maine

Parker, Jarod, Sydney and Kyle Jacob, had fled Delaware, despite Miss Parker's urge to turn around and rescue Kala.

"You'll get yourself and possible others killed!" Jarod tried to reason.

"I don't care, I just want my daughter back!" she was screaming and almost to the point of tears.

"We'll get her back, Miss Parker I promise. But right know we need to keep our wits about us and monitor the Centre's actions. Then we can go back," he said calmly.

"Don't you care about her?" The pain and sadness in her eyes almost killed him.

"Of course I do, you know that. But we're no good to her dead."

That had ended the conversation, and Parker had remained quiet the rest of the way. No smart remarks or put downs.

They had stopped in a run down hotel just outside Maine, and spent many days there. Parker didn't even complain when a rat darted from under the bed to a hole in the wall. Jarod finally gave up and moved them all to a larger, more comfortable room, down the street.

Miss Parker hadn't come out of her room for over five hours. As soon as they checked in, she had picked a room and closed the door. She hadn't been seen since.

"Syd...do you think she'll be ok?" Broots asked quietly, looking nervously around, as if Lyle and his goons would pop out of nowhere, and charge him with being considerate. The tech room was dark, and everyone had gone home. Those who didn't had no concern for any sort of thing like that. He had chosen that time to call Sydney, and see if everyone was alright. Then he heard what happened.

"I don't know, Broots," Sydney answered groggily. "If we don't get Kala back, Miss Parker may not survive. That girl meant everything to her. In the short amount of time she knew Miss Parker, Kala was able to do what none of us have been able to do for the past 20 years. Open up her heart. If Kala doesn't survive...neither will Miss Parker."

"Kala seemed like a pretty tough girl, she'll make it, won't she Syd? Sydney?"

"I hope so Broots." With that, Sydney disconnected the phone and stared at it. "I hope so Broots," he repeated, then put the phone down and sprawled out on the couch hoping to get some sleep.

Jarod came out of the kitchen a few moments later, with some hot tea for his mentor, but he was asleep. Jarod smiled and set the tea down, and covered Sydney with a blanket. He sighed. Parker still hadn't come out of her room, and it was starting to scare him.

Jarod walked over to her door and raised a hesitant hand. Thinking about it for a moment, he finally decided and knocked quietly. No answer. He pushed the door open silently, and saw a curled up figure on the bed. She was facing the open window, with her back to the door. Walking around to the other side he knelt down in front of her. She wasn't asleep, he could tell by the irregular breathing. She took a deep breath and opened her eyes. She knew he was there, and couldn't decide whether she wanted to see him or not. In her hand, was a ruby red charm, surrounded by white diamonds, on a silver chain.

"What's that?" he asked gently, nodding towards the necklace. Parker sat up, and scooted over, making room for him to sit next to her. She knew that Jarod knew perfectly well what it was, and just wanted to take her mind off things. He slid up next to her, and peered down at the charm.

"My mother gave it to me before she died....as a....congratulations present, for winning some award. I- planed to give it to Kala, when we got back." She nearly choked on her own words, and buried her face in her hands. Jarod used one gentle finger to raise her chin up, and one hand to pull hers away from her face. Tears filled those bright blue eyes, and they looked exactly like the ocean, deep and full of power, yet gentle and scared. "I may not get to do that." The tears she had kept at bay for so many years, now came spilling over the threshold.

Jarod, thinking with his heart first, wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close, rocking her back and forth. She leaned into him and started sobbing uncontrollably, muttering, "I'm so sorry, I'm so so sorry," over and over again.

"Shh, it's ok. It'll be ok. Shhhhhh," Jarod tried to sooth her with comforting words, but the hot tears kept coming, soaking through his shirt. But he didn't mind. All he wanted to do was comfort this woman, who in the past, had done nothing for him, except to accept him for who he was, instead of a science project.

****

The Centre
SL-25

Kala lay on her bed, thinking. She wouldn't eat, she couldn't sleep. All she could think about were her parents. Finally, her inner sense voice demanded her to eat.

You've gotten so skinny, and so pale, your parents won't even recognize you when they come to save you.

That's from lack of sunlight, not food.

He ignored the comment and continued. And believe me they will. If I know my brother as well as I think I do, nothing will stop him from getting you out of here. Unless..... He trailed off. Kala sat bolt upright.

"Unless what!?" she demanded.

Not so loud, Kala!! That hurts.

Sorry. Unless what? She asked again, thinking instead of speaking.

Unless someone else saves you first.

Like who?

But he never had a chance to respond, because Lyle followed by two goons came to 'greet' her.

"Lyle. To what do I own this honor?" she inquired sarcastically.

"I'll ask you again, where have Parker and Jarod taken the baby?" After a week of beating around the bush, Lyle finally gave up and just asked every time he came to see her, which was at least once a day, sometimes more.

Maybe he thinks he'll agitate the answer out of me.

"Ask me tomorrow," she taunted. "Maybe I'll tell you tomorrow."

"I don't have time for games, Miss Kala. My father and the Tower are getting-"he started in a dangerously low voice, but was cut off before he could finish his speech. Kala jumped down off the bunk and faced him. She was less then a head shorter then he was, and her two inch platform shoes and alert stance made her look even older then she was.

"I don't give a damn, about Mr. Parker, or the Tower. If they want results so badly, have them come get them themselves. And if they don't, hopefully the term 'shoot the messenger' will have a more realistic meaning." She glared him down, using the same look her mother and her grandmother gave. He backed out the door, but before he shut it he seethed, "I'm sure my father would be happy to come get results."

"You're father has no time to do anything but lounge around his office and act like king of the world. Besides, what is on measly baby to you-the big cooperation who controls the world?"

Lyle spun on his heel and faced her. "What is he to you? You're the one who went through so much trouble to kidnap him!" he shot back.

"I don't want there to be another assassin running around, murdering people when he feels like it. What's your excuse?" The two played a deadly game of challenging each other's patients.

"He's a pretender. You and the original lab rat have been out to long and won't cooperate. That child has never been outside the walls of the Centre, or my father's house. When we get him back, we'll make sure he never gets out again!" Lyle's low voice would have scared the pants off almost anybody, but Kala had been around people like that before, and they didn't intimidate her quite so easily.

"And what if you never get him back? Going to try again, until you can make another male pretender in secret?" Lyle glared dangerously at her, as if daring her to say it.


"I know your secret Lyle. And before I die, my parents will know the truth about that boy."

"Well you'll die tryn' to tell 'em." Lyle slammed the door and marched off down the hallway, infuriated at this girl's ability to hide her emotions even more so then her mother.

Kala climbed the latter onto the top bunk and looked around the cell. The walls, ceiling, floor were all a different shade of gray. The small desk in the corner was white and the bars on the widows looked like the fangs of a saber tooth in the dark.

Way to go, Kala! His ego will be damaged after that one! What's wrong?

Truthfully? I miss my mom. And Dad. I got to accustom to having someone there for me. I shouldn't have done that.

Kala, you were being human. Besides, you've had all those years with your parents deigned of you, and you should be thankful you even found them in the first place. Also, if it makes you feel any better, I think you're bringing them closer together.

Really?

Yeah. You know, I'm not supposed to do this, but I can show you a little sene from yesterday, between your parents. I think it might help!

The voice disappeared, and an image came floating into her mind, like a lily on water. Her mother was curled up in her fathers arms, and he was rocking her back and forth. She couldn't hear what they were saying, but something he said made her laugh tearfully.

Kala grinned broadly.

Thanks Kyle.

****

Two days later

"Giving in yet, Kala?" Came Lyle's cold hard voice across a speaker.

"Yeah. When people in hell take cold showers and eat steak for dinner," she replied distantly.

She heard Lyle slam the speaker down, and a few moments later he came bursting through the door.

"What game do you think you're playing? I'm at the end of my rope and so are you," he snarled.

"Good. Maybe the Triumvirate will do something smart for once and finish you off for good. You have more lives then a cat!"

"If I die, so do you."

"Yes, I'm well aware of that, but I'm willing to die if it kills you."

"I'm evil, yes, but why do you hold such a grudge against me? You don't do that to my father."

"You're father didn't torture women. You're father didn't eat their insides. You're father didn't try to come on to my mother, and you're father didn't murder my uncle!" Her voice could have frozen water if their had been any.

"Ah, so that's what this is about. Kyle. I was aiming for Jarod," he declared proudly.

"And if you had killed him you wouldn't be here, you'd probably be in the renewal wing getting reeducated," she hissed.

"And you would have no father." He had done if. Kala locked her gaze with his, and threw all the coldness she had at him. Lyle went hurdling backwards into the wall, and slammed against it, making a large cracking sound when he hit. Lyle looked up at her, stunned. She was still seated on the bed, staring him down with a death glare.

"What- how'd you do that?" he asked, trying to stand on the leg that wasn't broken.

"My inner strength. I'll do it again if I have to," she said coldly, making up every bit she said.

Lyle drew his gun and pointed it at her. "You do that, I kill you," he chuckled evilly.

"You can't kill me. I'm the only one who knows where the baby is. You kill me, you're dead to."

Lyle lowered the gun and glowered at her. "We'll discuss this later." Lyle left the room, hobbling on one leg.

My God!! (Sorry) How did you do that???

I don't know. I just got so angry, when I looked at him I- I didn't even do it on purpose. I was just trying to be intimidating.

Obviously it worked. If you can harness that gift, the Centre won't stand a chance!

****

The Centre
SL-10 Mr. Parker's office
Hour later

"I don't know how she did it, but one minute, I was standing and the next I was thrown against the wall." Lyle confessed.

"What did she call it, her inner strength?" Mr. Parker asked.

"Yes."

"Did she, um hurt you to badly?" he asked, trying to show concern.

"No. Just my leg." Lyle told him.

"Do not let her go Lyle. I'm counting on you."

****

5 miles away from Ben's Inn
24 hours later

Miss Parker seemed to have come out of her trance, and began helping out, snapping back at people who annoyed her (mainly Broots's little phone calls) and fretting about all the little things. But part of her was still missing. She didn't laugh much anymore, or smile. She didn't have the same spark she once had, or the fire in her eyes. Instead of sharp crystal blue, they were dull and dark, unused.

About three weeks after Kala was taken, Jarod received a video phone call that brightened his day.

"Zoe!" He cried happily.

"Hello, Jarod."

"Where- how are you?" It had been a long time since he'd heard from the red headed woman, and was glad to hear her voice again.

"I'm fine. The Major has been really worried about you, are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, um...."Jarod didn't know what to say. Seeing Zoe had made him happy, but for some reason he didn't feel the same about her.

"What's wrong Jarod?" Just then Miss Parker came into view on the screen, and Zoe's face clouded.

"Oh, uh, Zoe, this is Miss Parker. She's an old friend of mine. We've been working together for a while now. Miss Parker, this is Zoe," he grabbed Miss Parker's hand and pulled her closer to the screen.

"Hi," she muttered, not really in the mood to talk to anybody.

"Hi!" Zoe chirped cheerfully. Now that she knew this Parker woman was just a friend she relaxed. A little. Something about Jarod's face was a dead give away. What it was she couldn't figure out.

"Oh, um, The Major wants to talk to you." Zoe moved away from the screen, and Charles moved into it.

"Dad!"

"Hello son, Miss Parker," he acknowledged the woman to the right of the screen. She nodded, not responding back.

"Son, I've good news. We have a possible location...on your mother."

Jarod gasped. "Really? Where? How?" Jarod starting shooting questions before he had time to answer them.

"Son, calm down. I don't want you to get your hopes to high, because it might not be her." But Jarod's head was already in the clouds. Miss Parker squeezed his shoulder, trying to bring him down to earth.

"Oh, alright. Um..What is Zoe still doing with you?" he asked, trying to change the subject. It worked.

"We didn't figure she would be safe going back to her old house."

"We?"

"You're sister, Emily. I picked her up from the church the day before we left town. She's doing much better now. I'll have her call you sometime, she's out right now."

"Oh, ok." Jarod said, disappointed he didn't get to see his sister.

"Don't worry son. We'll all be back together soon." With that, the Major disconnected the line, and Jarod stood up.

He smiled a boyish grin at Miss Parker. "They found my mom," he breathed. "They found my mom." Before she knew what was happening, Jarod enfolded her in a large hug. She closed her eyes and smiled slightly too, wrapping her arms around him.

"That's wonderful, Jarod. That's wonderful." She tried to put as much enthusiasm as she could muster, but for some reason she was sadder then ever. Why she didn't know.

It's because you let yourself care for him, in more then a friendship manner. Now you find out he has a girlfriend. Jerk, one part of her said.

He's entitled! It's not like you've done anything to show you love him!

Well I never said anything about loving him! But....?

****