Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I wrote this story for fun. Don’t sue me Blah, blah, blah, blah. The characters aren’t mine, blah blah blah, they are characters in The Pretender, owned now by TNT and aired on WB blah blah blah, You know the drill.
Author’s note: 1)I don’t like saying “So-and-so belongs to me!” because it makes me sound to much like Mr. Rains, but if you would like to.....include Kala in one of your stories, please ask my permission first. 2) DON’T SUE ME!!! 3) I’m only 12, cut me some slack!






It’s Ok To Cry
part 4
By Devil’s Child






Ben's Inn,
three hours later.

"Has Kala come back yet?" Jarod asked, placing the last bag by the door.

"I'm right here," she announced, coming in through the back way. "I went for a walk, that's all. She glanced at her mother, who was not looking at her. Yes! Kala thought to herself. Mom is uncomfortable with this mornings discussion. That says something-but what?

"Ok, we'd better get going now, Ben. Thanks for letting us stay." Kala hugged the older man and gave him a peck on the cheek.

"You're welcome, sweetheart. Anytime you want to come visit, go right ahead, and," he lowered his voice and whispered in her ear, "bring those two love-birds." He winked and stood up.

"What was that all about?" Miss Parker asked, following Jarod's gaze.

"Oh, nothing much!" Kala chirped.

"Oh, Jarod!" Ben called. "Come here for a minute!" Jarod set the bag down and followed Ben into the next room. He opened a small jewelry box and took out a small diamond ring. Ben turned and handed the ring to Jarod. "When the time's right, son." He pushed the ring into his hand and left the room, leaving no time for Jarod to reject the gift. He turned the ring over in his hand curiously. When the time's right? He thought, but a yell from the next room broke his train of thought.

"Jarod!" Miss Parker hissed. "I didn't agree to let you come so you could hold us up!" Jarod shoved the ring in a secret pocket in his jacket, and hurried to catch up with Parker and Kala.

****

One hour later
12:09 p.m

Kala dropped her bag at the cliff face, and turned to face the two stunned people.


"If we have to climb that thing, I'm turning around right now," Parker said, as they stared at the large wall of rock.

"Nope. We don't, but...." Kala sighed. "I need to talk to you." She motioned for Miss Parker to come sit on a large rock.

Jarod took the hint and quickly said, "I'm gonna go exploring. Bye!"

Parker sat down next to Kala, wondering what she had to say. "The cabin, is inside the cliff face. There's a trap door, sort of thing to get in. The Centre won't find us there. No one knows it even exists except two people. Do you want this bluntly, or not?" she asked.

"Bluntly."

"Ok. The only two people who know about it, are me and the builder. He's dead." She paused, and took her mothers hand reassuringly. "Who do you know that's a carpenter?"

"Quite a few people actually," Miss Parker frowned.

"Who do you know, that's dead?"

"I thought you said you were gonna put this bluntly?"

"I did. Think about it."

*Flashback*

"Thomas? What are you doing now?" Parker asks, poking her head through the door.

"I'm checking up on a old house I build for a friend, in Maine." He explains, dialing the phone number.

"Hi! This is Thomas! -pause-Yeah, how are you? -pause- Good, listen, I just wanted to see how the cabin was holding up? That kind of environment can be tough. -pause- It is? Oh great! -pause- Really?! Parker and I were thinking about taking a trip this weekend, that would be a perfect place! Thank you so much! -pause- Yeah, why? You know her? -pause- Ok, thanks, Katherine! Bye!"

*End Flashback*

"Tommy....." she whispered. "Tommy-built this house?" she choked on the tears as they threaten to fall down her face.

"Yes, he did. He built it for me, about three years ago. Two years before I saw the news report on TV." Her eyes blazed with anger in remembrance. "He built it for me, as a safe house. And I was going to let Thomas use it for a vacation spot. I liked seeing him whenever I wasn't on the run, or when I had the chance," Kala explained sadly.

"You-and Tommy-were friends?" she asked, almost in dismay.

"Yes, we were close friends. He used to come and hear me sing, every time that he could. I wrote a song, and was going to dedicate it to him, to sing it for him, but he didn't make it till Thursday." She sighed. "You may not want to hear this, but I don't think she's entirely responsible. I can't be sure, but...I don't think Bridget pulled the trigger willingly. I think someone made her do it." Kala confessed.

"What?!" Miss Parker snapped. "She confessed!"

"Yes, she did, but that doesn't make her responsible. Having the baby changed Bridget. And a mild case of amnesia when I slammed her head in the wall didn't hurt either," Kala joked.

"You what?! When?" Miss Parker was astounded.

"It's not important. What is important, is that we find out who ordered the termination of the man you loved and why. I won't stand to let them hurt anymore innocent people." Her eyes lit up again, with so much anger, that it was visible. "And believe me, she may be dead, but I'm gonna find out who is really responsible for Thomas's death. You can count on it."

****

The Hidden Cabin

Kala sat on her bed, reading a book called Kissing Doorknobs. She stopped when she heard her computer beep at her. She set the book down, and opened the urgent e-mail. "From CJ," she said thoughtfully. "Oh, right!" She slapped herself on the head. "Cracker Jacks, Angelo! Dhu!" she muttered to herself, opening the attachment.

Raines: She what!?

Lyle: Sis must have found out she has a daughter, because she's gone! Sweepers searched her house last night. There's not a trace of where she could have went.

Parker: Damn it!

Raines: What is our course of action?

Lyle: We can't let that kid tell Parker what she knows. She'd kill us all if she knew the truth.

Parker: Which truth?

Lyle: Thomas, her mother, everything! If she finds out....Dad, I've seen her pissed, and it's not something I want to see again.

Parker: If she knows that Baby Parker is hers.....if that kid told her I'll strangle her with my own hands!

Lyle: Dad, we need her.

Raines: Not necessarily. Marissa has been out of the Centre too long. She won't cooperate, and neither will Jarod. If we can keep Baby Parker inside the Centre....we'll have the ultimate Pretender EVER.

Lyle: You know Parker, if she wants to get that baby out nothing will stand in her way. Not even you, Dad.

Raines: She's beginning to question the Centre's motives. Just like Catherine did. You saw what happened there.

Parker: Hmmm. That kid can fill my daughters head with lies about the Centre-

Lyle: Only they aren't lies. Sis isn't stupid, Dad. She'll figure it out.

Parker: True.

Raines: So what do we do?

Parker: My daughter is...insufficient to Centre needs. Her, and Jarod. We don't need them anymore, now that we have another child.

Lyle: I still can't believe Bridget was willing to carry around Miss Parker's baby.

Parker: She wasn't. She thought it was her's.

Lyle: Ha! Bitch didn't even know.

Parker: We all know my daughter wouldn't be willing to donate herself to made a prodigy. It had to be done in secret.

Lyle: Dad?

Parker: Hm?

Lyle: Don't you think we should give the kid a name? Baby Parker sounds too...

Parker: Yes, I suppose. You think about it, Lyle. Whatever name you chose.

Lyle and Raines depart, baby starts crying. Mr. Parker hands baby to deaf nurse, and departs.

"Holy shit!" Kala muttered, listening to the audio tape again. "Holy shit!" she repeated. "I knew it. I knew that baby couldn't be Bridget's! Shit."

She closed down the laptop, and stuffed it in a corner, then opened her book again. Five seconds later, Jarod opened the door and poked his head through.

"Can I come in?" Jarod asked. Kala nodded. "What are you reading?" he asked, coming into the room, and sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"Kissing Doorknobs." Kala smiled.

"Why would anyone want to kiss doorknobs?" he asked, confused. Kala laughed.

"She doesn't. It's about a girl with obsessive compulsive behavior, she has to, or she goes mad," Kala explained, showing him the back of the book.

"Ohhh," Jarod scanned the back of the book quickly, and handed it back to her. "You ok?" he asked, after several moments of silence.

"Yeah," she smiled at him, but her gaze was distant. Her smile quickly faded, and she muttered, "Hey, I'm kinda tired -yawn- I'm gonna -yawn- rest for a while, if that's alright with you -yawn-." Jarod laughed.

"Sure thing." He ruffled her hair and departed, closing the door behind him.

Kala, however, had no intention of resting. "Thank God for acting class.." she mumbled, digging out her laptop again, and setting to work. "We have to get him out of there..or there'll be another psycho on the lose...Yes I know you didn't do it on purpose......Ha! Good one...Dirtbag.... "

****

The Hidden Cabin
One Week Later

Kala opted NOT to tell her parents about the little message from Angelo. But instead, had him keep her updated-only her. Angelo reported everything to her-from how many times a day Broots spilled coffee on himself, to how many times a day the baby burped, to how many times Mr. Parker contacted the Triumvirate or the Tower.

Angelo also sent her the times the baby was on guard, and the times he was not. When there was a nurse, or a doctor or someone else. If the baby sneezed, Kala knew about it. After a week, Kala began to discover a pattern. M-W, the blond blind nurse guarded him. Why the hell a blind lady would guard a baby, she didn't know. Maybe she has 20-20 hearing. Kala mused. Wednesday afternoon, through Friday afternoon, the deaf lady guarded him. She must have 20-20 vison. And on weekends, Mr. Parker took the baby home, where he was watched round the clock by a nurse with eyes and ears. How Angelo got all this information, Kala didn't know.

What she did know, was that Sunday afternoon, at 3:00pm sharp, the watches shifted, and everyone had a five minute break. That would be the time to grab baby brother.

"The summery of my life: I have a brother, who doesn't have a name yet, a uncle-Ethen, who not to mention hears voices in his head -then again so do I- is now missing, a flesh-eating-psychotic killer for another uncle, and a- what'd you call him? Right- Dirtbag for a grandfather. How nice. Both my parents are geniuses, and I'm smarter then both of them! Oh, and I have another uncle who's DEAD! And I talk to him..(wink wink) And while we're at it, let's throw in the fact that we're on the run from an organization shrouded in secrecy that wants to kill us! Nice life, eh? Wanna trade?" She asked him, looking skyward. "Didn't think so."

She had e-mailed Syd earlier that week, telling him not to worry, that everyone was safe. Almost. She didn't tell him about the authorization that the Centre had to KILL THEM!! Instead she said nothing of it.

"Now's the time to tell Mom and Dad the plan? They don't need to know he's my brother, do they? Nah.....they'll find out soon enough." She asked, not waiting for an answer.

****

The Hidden Cabin,
day 9

Kala was going to tell Parker and Jarod today about the email Angelo had sent, when her email beeped URGENT at her. She quickly opened up the file, and read it four times, before she fell down. She grabbed the side of the bed.

Out of rage, she started cursing quietly. She read it again, and again to make sure she wasn't seeing things.

"Dirtbag!" she hissed. "Damn it! Great! Lets see, how do I explain this?" her thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Kala quickly closed the laptop, and sprawled out on the bed with a magazine. "Come in!" she called innocently.

Miss Parker entered the room, smiling. She seemed to have relaxed slightly since they left the Centre. Instead of her regular attire, she was dressed in tight jeans and a sleeveless sweater.

"Hi!" Kala chirped, as gleefully as possible.

"I heard a thud, are you alright?" she asked with concern, glancing around the room for anything peculiar.

"I'm fine, I just stubbed hit my elbow on the edge of the table." Kala explained. Which wasn't totally a lie. She did hit her elbow, only she smacked it on the chest at the end on the bed, when she fell off in shock.

Parker gave her a knowing smile. "You're hiding something," she stated.

Kala smiled sweetly. "Yep!" she grinned. But inside, she was screaming. What am I supposed to say!? Yeah I just got a letter from Angelo saying that Baby Parker is my brother, not to mention-

"Cough it up." Parker sat down on the edge of the bed next to her, interrupting her thoughts.

Kala raised her eye brows, then got an idea. She leaned over as though to whisper in her, but instead coughed, and ran out of the room squealing.

Parker raced after her, yelling that she should get back here. Jarod had gone out to get some food from Ben's Inn, that he had so kindly had waiting for Jarod. Unfortunately he came back at the wrong time. Just as he opened the door, Parker was running past. Parker, Jarod along with the peanut butter and jelly, went flying to the floor. Kala stopped in the hall, when she noticed her pursuer was no longer perusing. She crept back into the front room and burst into laughter. Jarod was helping an egg covered parker up off the floor. Jarod was stifling a laugh, and Parker was glaring at him. Then she grinned.

"Uh oh..." Jarod's eyes got real big, and he backed up, but was stopped by-THE WALL. "Shit," he muttered, looking around or the best escape route, as Parker advanced on him; he had no where to go.

Without warning, Parker pulled the last egg out from behind her back, and smashed it against Jarod's head. Egg yolk went trickling down Jarod's face, and back. He blinked, and smirked. Now it was Parker's turn to be afraid.

"Oh, shit!" Of, course, she was less subtle about it, and went screaming through the house, Jarod close behind. Kala was on the floor, laughing so her insides hurt. Miss Parker screeched to a halt when she reached the end of the hall, and spun around to see a breathless Jarod.

"Tired, Wonder-Boy?" she taunted.

"Not hardly." He straightened up, and she knew she was staring doom right in the face.

"Jarod......" she warned, but he paid her no heed. He advanced, just as she had done, until she was backed up against the wall. She was pushed between the wall, and Jarod. There was no way out. No one had noticed, but Kala had managed to sneak around the other way, and hide herself in the closet behind Miss Parker. The closet had two doors, one at the end of the hall -behind Parker- and one from Kala's bedroom, that no one knew about but herself, and Thomas.

She watched silently, afraid to breath, as the two adults played a game of tag, this time, with a little twist. Jarod produced a big bottle of water from behind his back.

"You wouldn't......" Parker stared at the water bottle in his hand, as he unscrewed the lid.

"Wanna bet?" He took a big swig and smiled. She relaxed.

"I thought you were gonna...."

"Dump it on you?" he asked, she nodded. "I still am!" He poured the water down her back and she shrieked playfully. She tried to run, but Jarod blocked her way. He pinned her up against the closet doors, and smiled. "Drink?" he asked, handing her the bottle. She tried to grab it out of his hand, but he was to quick.

Now? Kala thought. Not yet.... he said.

Now?

Not yet.......NOW! She pushed the doors open as hard as she could, sending Parker straight into Jarod's arms. They both flew back, and landed on the floor, Miss Parker on top of Jarod. Kala hid in the clothes so they wouldn't see her. She could have been standing right above them, and they wouldn't have saw. Their concentration was totally on one another.

Brown eyes stared straight into blue. Neither moved. Kala sneaked from her hiding place, and back around to the front room, so they wouldn't discover her hiding place.
Come on! Kiss her for God's sake! UGH!! Adults! Stupid creatures....no not you...all though it was pretty stupid to jump in front of a bullet!....yeah you saved his life I know...yah thanks.. I hope I'm never that stubborn! Kiss her for-! Oh Jesus!

"For Pete's sake, would you just kiss her so we could move on with our lives?" Kala asked impatiently from the corner. Parker looked up, and saw Kala standing with her arms folded across her chest neatly, tapping one foot on the floor. She looked back at Jarod.

Is he really gonna do it? She thought....

But Jarod was looking up, and to him, Kala was upside down, tapping her foot on the ceiling. He looked back at Parker, who was looking at him. Their gaze met.

"Umm...here." Parker stood up, and offered her hand to Jarod, who excepted. She pulled him up, and once again, there were face to face, inches apart.

Jarod's instinct was to kiss her. Parker's head told her to pull away, and her heart told her to kiss him. She followed her head. "Sorry," she muttered, untangling herself from him, and moving off down the hall.

"UGH!!!!!" Kala cried, stamping off into her bedroom, and slamming the door behind her. "Idiots!" Jarod heard her mumble. "My family is made up of psycho's, genius's and all-around idiots!"

She forgot to mention Baby Parker's rescue.

****

The Hidden Cabin
Next Day,
Saturday

The bright light that filled the dark room, woke Kala from her sleep. She turned over and glanced at the clock. "Nine am on the money," she grumbled, lifting herself out of bed. "Time to tell Mom and Dad about Baby Parker."

She dressed quickly and silently packed a small backpack, with a few weeks worth of clothes. She emerged from the bedroom quietly and walked swiftly down the hall towards the kitchen.

There, she met Jarod and Miss Parker, who were both still in pajamas.

"Where are you going?" Parker asked as she entered the room.


"The correct question would be where are we going, and the answer is back to Blue Cove," Kala said solemnly. Jarod almost spit his coffee all over Parker when he heard the news.

"You've got to be kidding me!" he choked.

"Do I look like I'm kidding?" she asked sarcastically.

"Why are we going back to the Centre?" Miss Parker cut in, giving Jarod no time to answer.

"I never said we were going back to the Centre, I said we were going to Blue Cove. To your Father's house to be precise."

"Why Daddy's house?" Miss Parker asked in shock, while Jarod rolled his eyes and cursed under his breath. He hated that man more then he did Raines.

"Because, that's where m-your brother is." She corrected herself just in time. Parker nor Jarod heard the mistake.

"What about her brother??" Jarod asked, confused.

Kala sighed, clearly frustrated. "We need to get the baby out of the Centre before they create either another Pretender or an assassin. I won't let them do to that baby what they did to all of us. He's the only one who has a chance at a normal life, without the Centre. We need to give him that chance," Kala explained quickly. "So, are you with me, or do I have to do this by myself?"

Parker and Jarod exchanged glances over there now cold cups of coffee. "When do we leave?"

****

After everyone's things were packed, the threesome hiked back down the hill to the Inn. Ben was glad to see them, but sad they were leaving so soon. They rented a car at a nearby dealership, under a different name of course, and began the long drive back to BC.

Jarod took shift about six hours after they left, giving Miss Parker a chance to rest. Kala sat up front, listening to Fat Boy Slim through her headphones and singing softly.

"Funk soul brother, right about now, funk soul brother check it out now, funk soul brother."

Jarod looked at her curiously. "Why does the song only have...four lines?" he inquired.

Kala snorted. "It's pop, Dad. It's supposed to be like that. Haven't you heard of N Sync? Britney Spears? Blink 182? Anything?"

Jarod shook his head. "I've heard of Bloody Love Bones. But not Britney Spears. Who's she?" he asked.

"A really cute, really bad singer-my opinion. Lots of people like her. I think she's a fake," Kala retorted.

"Oh." Jarod nodded his head in understanding. Kala took the compilation CD out of her WALKMAN, and put it in the CD player in the car, and turned the sound down low, so only they could hear it, and it wouldn't wake her mom.

"Hey now, you're an all star, get your game on go play..hey now you're a rock star, get the show on get paid, and all that glitters is gold...."

****

Hidden Cabin
Day 3

Parker sat alone on the couch, a pillow tucked close to her chest. She stared into the flames, as their reflections bounced across her face, illuminating it.

Her focus wasn't on anything or anyone really; her mind wandered. She remembered a time when she was happy, smiled a lot. When she came home, someone was there for her-to be the punching bag, or warm embrace. She remembered a time when, for the first time since her mother died, she was content, when she was loved and could give love. She remembered how good it felt, to have someone to hold, and someone to make all the pain go away.

A tear slid down her cheek, and onto the silk pillow. She glanced up, when she felt a presence next to her. Jarod was standing in the doorway, a sad expression on his face.

He came over and sat next to her. He didn't have to ask what was wrong, they always had a mental connection. He hesitated for a moment, then took her hand, and squeezed it gently, reassuringly. She bit her lip, and tried her hardest to hold back tears. She didn't pull away when Jarod took her hand, like he'd expected her to, instead intertwined her fingers in his, drawing strength from him.

He smiled slightly. It was nice to know she trusted him, to some degree. "You now Kala's philosophy- it's ok to cry," he said gently. She nodded. Finally, she let the tears roll down her cheeks, soaking the pillow she had a death-grip on. Parker looked up and stared into his eyes. She bit her lip again, as though making a decision. She made up her mind, and slightly shifted positions, then rested her head on Jarod's shoulder, and sobbed. Jarod wrapped his other arm around her shoulder, and pulled her closer, rocking her slowly back and fourth.

She placed her other hand, the one that wasn't clutching his, on Jarod's chest. His shirt was drenched by salty tears, and her face was red and blotchy. Parker clung to him, as though he were the last life line left. No words were exchanged, but he felt what she felt, her pain and anger. Her cry for help. She needed him, whether she wanted to admit it or not.

Neither saw the figure, smiling from the corner...

****

Hotel- Four days later
Wednesday- noon

Parker awoke slowly from her dream, as though she were reliving it again. She straightened up, and noticed they were no long driving down the deserted hi-way, nor were they in Blue Cove. They were in a large hotel room, both Kala and Jarod hunched over his computer, searching for something.

Kala looked up first, and noticed her Mom was up. "Morning!" she chirped, standing up and stretching. Kala walked over and hugged her mom, and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Dad and I are working on arranging a meeting," Kala said brightly.

"With who?" Parker asked, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Sydney, Broots, Angelo....yeah I think that's it. Besides us," she added.

"Broots?" Miss Parker took her hands away from her face, and stared at her.

"Who else is gonna screw up the cameras? Well, Angelo could, but just our luck, he'll go into one of his empths when we need him," Kala reasoned.

"Oh." Parker closed her eyes for a moment, and when she opened them she was staring into a brown horizon. Jarod's gaze locked with hers and held it for what seemed like forever. Kala said nothing, so not to disturb the silent connection between the two adults. Eventually Parker looked away, but Jarod sat there, his eyes glued to the spot where she had been.

Noticing the uncomfortability between her parents, Kala changed the subject. "Ahem, uh last time it took us...seven days to reach Maine from Blue Cove, and I suspect it will take us just as long this time so at this rate we should be in the lovely Blue Cove Delaware by...... Saturday. That will give us just enough time to get a plan together. Agreed?" Kala asked, glancing from one spaced out parent to the next. "Agreed?" she asked a little louder.

"Oh, yeah! What? Ok," Jarod snapped back to reality first and mumbled an answer, and something under his breath.

"Mom?"

"Yeah." Miss Parker answered, but her look was far off.

Kala groaned and rolled her eyes, then huffed off to her quarters in the adjoining room next door. Slamming the door behind her, Kala made perfectly clear to her parents that she was not impressed.

****

The Centre

Sydney and Broots had tried desperately the past month to: avoid Lyle at all costs, Find out as much possible about Mare Maris Prognatus/Project C-11, and to help out Parker and Jarod. Broots had recently found out they were working together, and though Syd never said it, Broots could tell the old man was overjoyed.

"Syd," Broots came nervously into the room, a bit shaken.

"What's wrong, Broots?" Sydney swivled in his leather chair to get a better look at his college.

"Er- um, well, I decided to run a search on Project C-11 through the mainframe, and I came up with this." Broots handed his friend a brown envelop. Sydney took it cautiously, as though it would catch fire if his grip was to hard. He lay the contests out on his desk, and looked at them suspiciously. Broots could see the wheels turning in his head, and the steam coming out of his ears. Broots had never seen Sydney so angry in his life. It scared him to see his partner and friend in such a rage.

Sydney's eyes clouded. "Broots..." he asked slowly, not removing his eyes from the page. "Did you read this?"

"Um uh, no I uh thought you'd like to have a look at it first," the tech mumbled helplessly.


"Mare Maris Prognatus, is Latin for Sea Born. According to this, Sea Born is a young girl by the name of Marisa. She escaped the Centre six years ago. Before Jarod escaped, by one year. Do you know who Marissa is?" Sydney asked coldly.

"Er um," Broots worked frantically for something in his mind to click. "Um, if um, Marissa-" It clicked. "That can't be right? Miss Parker- she would never allow that would she? I mean- you saw the way she responded to Gemini? Mr. Parker? He, he let them do that? I outta I outta....." Broots couldn't finish; he was thunderstruck with rage, just as Sydney was, as the pieces fell into place in his mind and he realized that without a doubt, that Marissa had to be Miss Parker and Jarod's daughter.

****

"Wait until Miss Parker hears about this! She's gonna be furious!" Broots was pacing around the office five minutes later, trying to blow off some steam. "I mean, she won't let them get away with this will she? Sydney?" The older man had gone considerably pale and now was Broots not only angry, he was scared.

"No, Broots," he raised a finger and shaked it in the air, as though telling somebody off. He put his elbow on the table, and his chin in his hand. Broots recognized this to be a sign that he was concentrating. "I think....I think she already knows." Sydney stared up at his college, who was looking completely dumbfounded.

"In the email, it said they had gone to Refuge. That is a place in Maine that Catherine referred to in one of our sessions. Miss Parker, probably would not have remembered that, and Jarod didn't know about it. And...." Sydney began, backing up his story with more evidence. "I can remember it was two days before Marissa escaped, that many of my DSA's that contained my sessions with Catherine Parker went missing. I've never found them."

Broots looked at the man like he was a lunatic. "How-how could you remember that? That was nearly six year ago!" Broots stammered.

"Every part of our waking life, is stored somewhere in our memory. It cannot be removed, just misplaced, or hidden. I remember that day very well, just as I remember the day Catherine faked her death."

"So- so you're saying that this girl might actually be with her?" Broots asked, marveling at Sydney's confidence.

"Them. She's with them," Sydney corrected him.

"Right," muttered Broots.

****

Broots's House
Saturday
4:00

"I'll get it!!" Debbie flew from the couch at the sound of the door bell. Broots closed the magazine he was reading and followed Debbie into the front hall. He couldn't see who was behind the door, but heard squeals of delight, and saw his daughter bouncing up and down. Broots waited for Debbie to lead the quests into the house, and almost lost his balance when Miss Parker walked through his door.

Broots opened his mouth to say something, but he was speechless, so he waved instead. Miss Parker sighed softly and shook her head. Then motioned for the other two people to come in. Following her was almost an exact Miss Parker look alike, only 15 years younger. She had the same bright blue eyes, long legs and black hair. The only differences besides age, was that she dressed casually -tight jeans that flared out at the knees and a tank-top- and her hair was long and straight, instead of short, like Miss Parker's. Broots remained silent, because he was afraid if he spoke it would either be the wrong thing, or he would stammer himself to tears.

The second person was a tall dark hair dark eyed man, who looked just like- "Jarod?" Broots finally spoke, and it didn't even sound like his own voice. Kala and Debbie giggled quietly, turning so he wouldn't see their tears of laughter. Miss Parker tried to force down a smile, but it didn't work.

"Broots, I believe you've met Jarod once or twice, haven't you?" Miss Parker asked sweetly.

"Uh, yeah. O-once or twice," Broots muttered, shoving his hands in his pockets, embarrassed.

"It's alright Broots," Kala said kindly, stepping forward. "He's as harmless as a fly." She shot a glance at Jarod and added, "Unless you get on his bad side, or do anything to hurt 'the weak and abused'. You've never hurt anybody, right Broots?" She winked at her mother, and smirked.

"Broots couldn't do that." It was a new voice. One that belonged to one well known and loved shrink. "The door was open so I let myself in," he explained.

"Sydney!" Jarod was over joyed to see his mentor and friend.

"Jarod, you're looking well," Syd exclaimed, embracing his old pupil. "As are you, Miss Parker. Days' away from work have done you well," he smiled.

But Sydney's smile faded when he saw Kala. Tears sprung to his eyes. "You look just like you're mother," he said quietly. Neither adults could figure out why Sydney was crying. Sure, Kala made him think of Miss Parker, and Miss Parker made him think of Catherine, but he never cried when Miss Parker was there.

"Sydney," she acknowledged quietly, before running into his arms and having the life squeezed out of her my a sixty year old man. Both laughed and cried quiet tears of joy. Jarod and Miss Parker exchanged confused looks.

Kala saw them and smiled bigger then ever. Letting go of Sydney, she said, "Syd didn't tell you, did he?"

"Tell us what?" Jarod asked, glancing again at Miss Parker.

"Sydney, helped me escape the Centre six years ago. He didn't know who I was, so don't hurt him for not telling you. Ever wonder why Sydney was away from work so much a little less then a year before you escaped?" She directed this at Jarod, who was totally dumbfounded.

"I didn't realize she was your daughter, or she would have been with one of you faster then a speeding bullet. I would never take someone this important out of your life willingly, Miss Parker. You know that," he said sternly, answering he unconvinced glare. A few seconds later she backed off, and for the first time everyone acknowledged Angelo, who was standing quietly in a corner.

"Angelo!" Kala cried, enfolding the empath in a large hug. Angelo smiled hugely, feeling all the happy emotions that were coming from her. The joy was so strong, that he perceived no pain.

"I think it's time I tell everyone, everything," Kala said solemnly, trying to bite down a smile. Well, almost everything, she told him sternly

****

Kala explained how she escaped the Centre, with the help of Angelo and Sydney six years ago. She told about her life afterward, living with The Michaels family for many years, and in return for schooling, and food and clothes and ext.., she agreed to take care of the house, take care of their six year old son, Freddy, and help out. She had a part time job, singing at the club, making large amounts of money in tips, and some from the manager. Then, last year she found out who her parents were, by an anonyms tip left in her bag. That's when she started the search. She didn't tell Miss Parker or Jarod right away, because she wanted to make sure they excepted her as a person first, not as their daughter.

Broots hadn't wanted Debbie to hear all the details of The Centre, so he shooed her off to play with the next door neighbor, much to her dislike.

****

"Wow," Broots muttered, shaking his head when she was finished. "That's quiet a life. Question though.. Syd said his DSA's went missing two days before you escaped. Sydney..did you give them to her?" he asked.

"No, he didn't," Kala answered. "I took them, mistaking his office for Mr. Raines. I went looking for a piece of my past, and found Sydney's DSA's."

Kala glanced over at her parents, seeing what their reaction would be. She hid a smile, and gently nudged Sydney in the ribs. He looked up and when he saw what she was pointing to, smiled.

Miss Parker's eyes were closed, and she was leaning against Jarod, using his chest as a pillow. He had unconsciously draped an arm around her, as if he was protecting her. Obviously neither realized it, or it might have been a very tense situation. She wasn't asleep, just listening to Kala's story, nodding in all the right places, smiling laughing, frowning and asking questions.

Both Jarod and Parker noticed the room had gone rather quiet. She opened her eyes and saw that everyone was smiling.

"What?" she asked suspiciously.

"Comfortable, Parker?" Sydney asked gently, tauntingly.

"Yes thanks for asking," she responded, still not understanding the joke. Kala unable to control herself any longer, ran out of the living room and into the kitchen. Bursting with laughter, she had to stuff her fist in her mouth to keep the noise down.
"She didn't even know!" Kala whispered, peering into the living space, without being seen.

"Know what?" Debbie had come back from her friends house, and decided to come in the back way.

"Look!" Kala exclaimed, pointing through the crack between the door and the wall, where Miss Parker and Jarod were curled up on the couch.

Debbie peered into the living room, and started laughing hysterically, just as Kala had done. "Come on!" Debbie managed between giggles. "Lets go up to....my...room!" The two girls scrambled out through the living room and up the stairs as fast as possible. Running into Debbie's room, they slammed the door so hard the coffee table downstairs jumped.

****

"So how do you know my mom?" Kala asked, as she and Debbie sat on her bed, talking.

"When Daddy was out of town one week, I had to stay with Miss Parker. And then another time she picked me up at school, when my daddy was having trouble." Debbie explained.

Damon, Kala thought.

"He wouldn't tell me what though," she said regretfully.

"I'm sure he had his reasons."

"Yeah...I didn't know Miss Parker had a daughter. Until today, I mean. She never said anything about you when I was there. She was kind of mean at first...no offence," she added quickly.

"None taken. My mom...I guess is not used to having anyone but me and Dad in the house. She's not big on strangers...and she's very picky about thing her mother gave her, or her clothes." Thanks for the info, uncle. That was helpful, she silently thanked him for the bits of information regarding Debbie's visit with Miss Parker.

"Yeah. She was really picky about the clothes. But she warmed up in the end, and it was really fun to be with her. I'll never forget the look on Daddy's face when we marched into his work wearing matching outfits. It was even worth the lecture about my stile of clothing on the way home." Debbie laughed, as she remembered all the things her father had said.

"Yeah, Dad's can be over protective."

"So where were you when I was there?" Debbie asked innocently.

I was probably running for my life! "Oh, probably at camp, or on vacation with one of my friends," Kala lied.

"Oh. I still don't understand why she didn't talk about you or your dad. What's his name again?"

"Jarod. And she doesn't talk about us much. She spaces out a lot. That was probably it." Liar! He hissed. Liar liar liar!

Oh, shut up!

****

Broots arranged for one of Debbie's friends to call, and ask her to spend the night. He didn't want her to hear their plan, because he didn't want her in danger. Sofia came and picked her up at eight, and Debbie left, with no suspicions that her father set it up.

After she was gone, Broots, Sydney, Parker and Jarod, all waited for Kala to explain her plan.

"Ok, the littlest Parker- ok, before we get into this we need to give him a name. I'm getting tired of calling him 'Baby Parker' or the 'Littlest Parker'. What do you think we should name him?" she asked, looking around at the adults.

"Um.."

"Uh.."

"How about.."

"What about.."

"Kyle!" Everyone looked up. Angelo was sitting next to Kala, smiling innocently.

"Yeah..I like that," Kala piped in. Oh, how sweet. Thanks Kala, he said, and she could almost taste his tears.

Don't mention it.

"Jarod? Is that ok?" Miss Parker looked expectantly at Jarod, who's eyes had small tears in them. He bit his lip and nodded, he knew his voice would betray him if he spoke.

"Kyle....what should his middle name be?" Miss Parker asked.

"Hm..."

"Uh..."

"Jacob," Kala said suddenly. His middle name should be Jacob." She glanced at Sydney, who was smiling behind tears.

"Kyle Jacob Parker," he whispered.

"I like it," Broots said, startling everyone. Broots never spoke up about such things.

"Well if Mr. Broots likes it, then I guess it works!" Kala laughed, and Broots blushed deep crimson. Soon everyone was laughing though, and the house echoed with sound.

****

Kala explained the plan, and everyone's role in it.

She made a chart, so it would be easy to understand.

Sydney: Go to Mr. Dirtbag's house and distract him.

Broots: Loop cameras in Kyle Jacob's room.

Parker, Jarod, Kala: Rescue Kyle Jacob.

Angelo: cause BIG empath destruction in Sim Lab with Raines. Knock down a few sweepers if possible.

Kala left out 'Dirtbag' on Miss Parker's list. She didn't think it was a good idea for her mother to blow her top before the rescue. She'd leave that to when she told her mother that Kyle was her brother.

****

Sunday
2:00pm

"Alright, is everyone ready?" Kala asked the following day, as the group gathered around, ready to start the mission.

"As ready as I'm ever gonna be!" Broots muttered, and everyone laughed, reliving some of the tension.

"Everyone knows what their job is, right?" Everyone nodded, and Angelo cocked his head.

"Ok, here we go."

****

The Centre
2:55pm

"Mr. Raines! Mr. Raines!" Willy ran up, exhausted to his boss.

"What is it, Willy?" he wheezed dramatically.

"Angelo sir. He's throwing a fit. None of the sweepers can contain him! He's already knocked out four of our best men!"

"Keep trying. At least get him back in his cell."

"Yes sir!" Willy ran off down the hall again, with more sweepers in tow. Of course, Mr. Raines orders were easier said then done...

****

Mr. Parker's Manor
2:58pm

Sydney knocked on the door, and almost immediately, a tall blond women came to answer it.

"May I help you sir?" she asked politely.

"Yes, I'm looking for Mr. Parker, is he in today?" Sydney reviewed what he was going to say and almost missed her next words.

"Yes sir, come in. May I have your name please?" She lead him down a long hallway with red carpets and wooden stairs.

"Yes, tell him Dr. Green is here to speak with him."

"Yes sir." she walked off down the hallway, and turned into a small room, shutting the door behind her.

****

Tech room
2:57pm

Broots typed frantically, trying to gain access to Mr. Parker's home security system. After weaseling his way through many access codes, that Jarod had so kindly already gotten the passwords to, he finally reached had permission to mess with the security system.

In only a matter of seconds, Broots had looped the cameras in Mr. 'Dirtbag', as Kala liked to refer to him behind her mother's back, home for ten minutes. Now all he had to do was delete the evidence, sit back and pray.

****

Mr. Dirtbag's Manor
2:59pm

"Ok, here we go," Kala whispered, after gaining access to his home security system, entering the house through the back and creeping through the hallways, Jarod and Parker right behind her. The threesome tiptoed through the manor, up stairs and through the last hallway. They could hear Mr. Dirtbag and Sydney talking downstairs.

"I realize that sir, but I believe we are taking extreme measures to bring Jarod back." Sydney reasoned.

"You sound as if you don't want to bring him home, doctor," Mr. Parker smirked back.

"I want him back Mr. Parker. I just don't want him dead."

Miss Parker could remember Sydney saying the same thing to her a few years ago. Those words meant nothing to her now. She wasn't going to bring him in. She couldn't even if they paid her, or threatened her. They had been through to much now.

"This is it!" She heard Kala hiss through the darkness. She pushed open a door at the end of the hallway, and heard the baby, sleeping peacefully. Kala checked the cameras. Thanks Broots! She thought, inching towards the crib. Kala lifted Kyle out of the crib and handed him to Parker. As they made their way toward the exit, a loud voice coming closer halted them.

"Mr. Parker, I'm sure the baby is fine. He does have nurses taking care of him doesn't he?" Sydney was trying to keep him away from the child's room, but he was convinced he'd heard a thud.

"OH SHIT!" Kala whispered. She closed her eyes tightly, as there was a sudden uproar from the room at the end of the hall.

"Where is he!? Sydney, did you have anything to do with this? Greg! Find them!" he didn't wait for the doctor to respond, before barking orders. "Do NOT let them out of here!"

There was the sound of scurrying feet, as sweepers/guards came running from all corners of the house, looking for the fugitives, guns drawn. Kala looked frantically around. They were everywhere. This guy has a small army in his house!

Kala, go now! You'll never make it if you don't!

"Go!" she cried, shoving her parents forward. Plunging headlong into off guard sweepers, they ran for the exit, knocking down as many as possible. Parker clung to the wailing child, as gunshots sounded all around them. There was a loud thud, when she turned around, her daughter was surrounded by goons.

"Kala!" she screamed. She tried to stop, but Jarod pushed her forward, out the exit and into the car that waited for them, Sydney behind the wheel, having discreetly snuck away during the uproar. They jumped in the car, both unwillingly, and speed off down the road. For an old man Syd could drive like he was 15 and on the run from the cops. Jarod looked back at the quickly fading house and sighed. Miss Parker burst into silent tears, clutching Kyle close to her chest.

"They got her, they got my baby," she whispered, over and over and over again.

****