Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer in part 1




What The Future Holds
part 2
By Wandering Spirit





T-board
The Centre
Blue Cove, DE
May 3, 2002



Broots was in the holding cell, watching through the tiny window as Lyle and Raines questioned Sydney.

"Help us all," Broots murmured with a depressed sigh.

What would happen to Sydney? What about Miss Parker? Was she with Jarod? What about his own fate? And Debbie. God, he'd do anything for Miss Parker...unless the Centre threatened his little girl.

"Tell me, Sydney," Lyle questioned in a superior tone. "When did you last see Sis? What did she say to you?"

Expressionless, Sydney drew in a deep breath before answering.

"Yesterday was the last time I spoke with your sister, Mr. Lyle," he replied, cooly. "We last discussed some possibilities as to why Jarod hasn't communicated with us in so long."

"Yes, we all know that Parker is...an important part of our team when it comes to dealing with Jarod," Lyle responded as he rested his feet on the surface of the T-shaped table and leaned back in his chair. "We wouldn't want to lose her, now would we?"

"No. Most certainly not," Sydney replied.

"Tell me, Syd," Lyle continued. "How many times has Jarod slipped through your fingers in the past five years?"

With a small chuckle, Sydney answered, "Too many times to count, I'm afraid."

"Have you been helping him?" Raines interjected.

"No," Sydney replied without pause.

"Has my daughter been helping him escape?" Raines inquired.

Sydney grimaced. He hated to think that Raines was Miss Parker's father. The poor girl had been betrayed by so many people in her life, including both of the father figures she's know in her lifetime.

"There has been no indication of that, Mr. Raines," Sydney replied.

***

Beechwood Hotel
Room 107
Suburban Philadelphia, PA
May 3, 2002
4:15 PM


Jarod stood in the doorway, numbly staring at Miss Parker. Since when did she use her first name? It did seem rather appropriate, however. No longer was Jarod staring at Miss Parker, the Ice Queen. He was looking into the sad blue eyes of the little girl he had met so many years ago. Even so, he had to be careful around her. It's not that he didn't trust her, rather that he knew his role just as well as she knew hers: she was the predator, and he was the prey. Why was now any different?

"Where's the sweeper team, Miss Parker?" Jarod asked, smugly. "Usually you make more of an entrance."

"Shut up, Rat Boy," Miss Parker replied, defensively. She had wanted to sound like her usual venomous self, but somehow her reply ended up to be...well, a rather pathetic whimper.

Jarod couldn't help but broaden the smirk on his face.

"All right, Parker. You win. Go ahead. Take me back to the Centre," he joked as he held both of his hands out in front of him, ready to be handcuffed.

I shouldn't even have come here, Parker thought attempting to hold back the tears she felt coming.

"I'm not here to take you back to the Centre, Jarod," she answered, honestly, her voice wavering.

"Well what, then?"

"Jarod, I'm never going back there," Miss Parker said.

There was a pause. Jarod's smile broadened as he began to laugh.

"That's a good one, Parker! Really. You almost had me fooled," Jarod laughed. He stopped abruptly when he noticed the hurt expression on her face. "You're really not going back...are you?"

Miss Parker shook her head as she stared down at the floor. She couldn't look at him, for fear of crying.

"Parker, what's going on?"

She finally decided it was safe to look up at him and responded, "I need your help."

"Par-"

She held her hand up to silence him. "Stop this 'Parker' business, Jarod. I don't want to be a Parker any more than you want to go back to Hell. I'm Myra. Plain and simple. Now, I need to talk to you...preferably somewhere more private than this hallway."

Jarod stepped back inside and gestured for her to enter. Miss Parker accepted his offer, stepped inside, and shut the door behind her.

"You look tired," Jarod observed aloud as he looked Parker over.

"Haven't slept in days," Miss Parker replied as she sat down on the edge of the comfortable double bed. "The only sleep I've gotten is when they put me under a few weeks back."

"Put you under? What for? Par-...Myra are you all right?" Jarod inquired with an eyebrow raised as he sat beside her.

"My ulcer was giving me trouble, " she answered simply, as her hand drifted to her abdomen once more. "Let me tell you, the Renewal Wing is not the most settling place to wake up."

"I can't imagine it would be."

Okay, there's your cue. Keep going, Myra! Tell him! Tell him now, her brain screamed.

"Jarod, there's something else," Miss Parker continued, cautiously.

"I'm listening," Jarod confirmed.

"Jarod, when they put me under...they-...what I mean is-..." she faltered.

"Take your time. You can tell me," Jarod reassured the woman beside him as he took her hand in his own.

"It's really not that simple," Miss Parker said, with a nervous laugh. She was laughing, yet there were unshed tears sparkling in her sad crystal blue eyes.

"Myra, just tell me."

"Jarod, I know family is extremely important to you," she began. "Which is why I've decided to leave the Centre and join you."

"I'm not sure I understand. Parker, did you find my family?" Jarod asked, his excitement growing.

"No, Jarod," Miss Parker shook her head sadly.

"Well, what is it then?"

"There's...another member of your family that-"

"Another family member? What? An uncle? Aunt? Cousin?"

"No, Jarod. Please let me finish," Miss Parker requested. "This is hard enough without you interrupting."

"Myra, did something happen?" Jarod wondered with growing concern.

"As far as I know, your mother, sister, father, even your clone are doing fine," Miss Parker confirmed. "But...when I had my ulcer, apparently they...the Centre...Jarod, I..."

"Just come out and say it," Jarod urged. "What's wrong? Myra, what did they do to you?"

"I'm pregnant, Jarod," Miss Parker finally said.

Jarod sat there dumbfounded.

"I hadn't been feeling quite right after I got discharged from the Renewal Wing, and I had a nagging feeling that the Centre doctors had missed something or had done something to me," Miss Parker explained, slowly. "I had a 'gut feeling' that I was in danger, so I took the liberty of doing some digging through the Centre mainframe. I found some information, and...Jarod, they played God again. They created this baby...using our genetics. I went to the doctor, a real doctor. I had to know for sure...and the reality of the whole thing is that I'm having your child."

Jarod remained silent as he thought about what was just said. He couldn't believe it. He was going to be a father! Yet, this is most definitely not how he wanted things to turn out. The Centre had created this child to use for its own purpose. A mixture of emotions ran through him: joy, sorrow, fear, worry. He was going to be a father...but he knew that his family was in grave danger.

When Jarod didn't respond to the news Miss Parker had been waiting to tell him, she became very concerned.

"Jar?" she asked, using the nickname for him she hadn't used in ages. "Jarod? Are you okay?"

For a moment, he had forgotten that she was sitting there, right in front of him.

"Myra, you know I'll do whatever I can to protect my-...our family," Jarod replied as he wrapped her in a protective embrace.

Miss Parker was so relieved that Jarod was willing to accept her and her unborn child. But then again, how could she have ever thought that he'd reject them? He'd never reject his family.

It was then, sitting there, huddled in Jarod's arms, that it hit her: she would finally have the two things she's ever truly wanted in her life. She'd finally have someone to love, actually two someones. She'd also have a loving family. For the first time in her life she felt as if she was on the right team, the right side of the battle. Maybe she would have the picturesque family that she had always secretly dreamed of.

She said his name as she gazed into his eyes.

"I love you," she told him.

He leaned over and kissed her forehead. "I love you too. I love both of you," he added as his hand came to rest over her abdomen.

***

T-board
The Centre
Blue Cove, DE
May 3, 2002
5:30PM

Sydney breathed a sigh of relief as he was escorted back into the holding cell. He had chosen the answers to their questions carefully. Though he knew they would interpret his responses as testing his loyalty to the Centre, he was testing his loyalty to Jarod and Miss Parker.

I hope you find her, Jarod, Sydney wished silently to himself.

"Mr. Broots!" Lyle called to the nervous computer tech.

Broots and Sydney exchanged glances as the techie walked out of the cell and sat in the chair at the end of the T-board. For the love of God, please don't let me say anything stupid, Broots prayed. For Miss Parker's sake, I'd better not say anything stupid.

"Mr. Broots, we are ready to begin," Lyle announced from the other end of the table...

***

Air Vents
The Centre
Blue Cove, DE
May 3. 2002
Same time...


A pair of watchful eyes glanced about, from Lyle to Broots and back again.

"Broots...scared," the figure said. "Broots scared for daughter...scared for daughter and daughter's daughter!" he whispered in realization. He smiled to himself.

"Daughter...the new Parker legacy begins with you," he quoted as he disappeared into the darkness of the air vents.