Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer in part I
By the way, I apologize in advance for any "copyright infringement" due to the use of certain "chemistry vocabulary words" in this story, but they just begged to be used SOMEWHERE in Jarod's chemistry class. (Just think, Jarod learned something new to add to his list of discoveries from my real-life chemistry class, and he's got my teacher to thank...she knows who she is * grin *). And to think these words somehow ended up in my daily vocabulary. I wonder how that happened? "Shuntah!" * Grin again * I'm just borrowing, honestly (by the way, I hope I spelled them correctly). No "Pooh Bears" intended..."So nice!"

No more rambling; on with the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





What The Future Holds
part 4
By Wandering Spirit






Moore High School
Science Room
May 4, 2002
11:00 AM


"...So when you need to balance the chemical equation and then take the spectator ions out of the equation to get the net ionic equation, and-" Jarod rambled.

"Slow down! Slow down!" a student called.

"Sorry. Am I going to fast?" Jarod inquired. "I apologize."

"So you remove the spectator ions, and then what?" Natalie asked.

"And then it goes, 'shuntah'!" Meredith exclaimed dramatically, sending the entire class into a fit of laughter.

"What? What's so funny?" Jarod wondered.

"And for my next impression..." Meredith continued.

"Mrs. Mitchell always uses the word, 'shuntah', for some odd reason," Natalie explained as she rolled her eyes. "Like, instead of saying, 'the chemicals combine' she says, 'and the chemicals go-"

"Shuntah!" Meredith finished.

"Interesting," Jarod concluded. "And what, exactly, does this, 'shuntah' word of hers mean?"

"Nobody knows," Meredith replied with a shrug.

"Interesting," Jarod repeated.

Suddenly, the classroom door flew open, and in rushed...

"Myra?" Jarod asked.

"Jarod, they're here!" Myra panicked. What had started out as a surprise visit from Substitute Teacher, Myra Seraph had suddenly turned into a nightmare.

"The Centre? Here? Now?" Jarod asked with concern.

"Wait! That gifted school?" Meredith wondered.

"More like a nuthouse," Myra replied. "Jarod, we gotta go."

"Thank your parents for not sending you there," Jarod said to his student as he rushed out the door, only to come face-to-face with...

"Who was going to be sent to the Centre?" Raines asked, accompanied by his ten sweepers who restrained Jarod and Parker.

Meredith's eyes widened in horror when she saw the bald man with sunken eyes enter the room.

"Why are you taking them?" the girl demanded.

My, my. Isn't she the bold one?" another smug voice added as a younger, dark-haired man entered the room.

"Lyle!" Myra spat as two sweepers grabbed a hold of her. Meanwhile, Jarod was struggling to free himself from the grasp of four more sweepers.

"Hold still, Sis. This won't hurt a bit," Lyle said with mock comfort as he revealed a syringe from his coat pocket.

He jabbed the needle into his sister's arm as she uttered a groan of pain.

"Nighty-night," Lyle said as Myra lost consciousness.

"No! Myra, wake up!" Jarod urged. "Raines, what have you done?"

"Let them go!" Meredith ordered, boldly, noting that she was the only student confronting the strange men. The rest of her classmates had shrunken back towards the other side of the room. She looked around her for something to aid her teacher in his escape, finding only a near empty bottle of diluted hydrochloric acid on a nearby shelf. * I can make this work. *

"That governMENTAL agency you were talking about wasn't just make-believe," Jarod replied as a needle entered his arm. "Run, Meredith," he ordered before his body went limp.

There was no way of just running out of the room. She was outnumbered, and Lyle was blocking the door. Instead of running, Meredith reached for the bottle of HCl, unscrewed the nearly open cap (hardly anyone in her class ever followed proper lab procedure, and this was the ONLY time their laziness would come in handy), and trust the contents in the direction of Lyle's face.

"Ahh! Bitch!" Lyle screamed, covering his burning eyes as Meredith knocked him down in the attempt to run out of the room. "Grab her!!"

Before she knew what was happening Meredith felt the cold, clammy hands of the man her teacher had referred to as "Raines" restraining her.

"Let...me...GO!" the teenager ordered as she struggled. * He's stronger than I thought. *

Two other sweepers aided Raines, in restraining the rebellious teen, while another tended to Lyle. The last remaining sweeper administered a tranquilizer to the squirming girl.

Somewhere in town car
God knows what time


Jarod awoke to find himself in the back seat of a Centre town car, cruising down a long stretch of deserted country road at an unearthly speed. His one arm was handcuffed to the door handle to his left, and the other to a sleeping Miss Parker. Jarod waited for his head to stop spinning before he made further observations.

Miss Parker was handcuffed to Jarod and the girl next to her...Meredith. Meredith was cuffed to Parker and the door at her right. She too was unconscious.

I let them down, Jarod thought. I broke a promise, and I let them down.

"Planning your escape?" a voice from the driver's seat inquired. It was Willie, Raines's most loyal sweeper. "Well, we're almost to the Centre, and I doubt you can concentrate on anything since the tranquilizer is still in your system. Still tired, I presume?"

It was true. Jarod felt as though he were going to pass out again. He tried his best to fight the effects of the drugs, but to no avail. His eyes closed; he slept.


The Centre
May 4, 2002
2:00 PM

Broots ran frantically to the Sim Lab where he knew Sydney would be.

"Syd!" Broots called as he burst through the door, calling his colleague's attention away from the set of twins Sydney had been observing.

"They're here! Raines brought Jarod and Miss Parker back!" Broots announced. "Oh man, Syd. What are they going to do to them? To us? We have to do something!"

"Dammit!" Sydney swore, scaring the two young girls who had suddenly been forgotten.

"I know! Raines and Lyle brought them in," Broots continued. Well, Lyle was being led to the Infirmary with a funky stain all around the shoulder of his jacket. Bleach maybe...anyway, they brought this girl in too. Some teenager."

"A person Jarod was trying to help on one of his pretends?" Sydney mused.

"Possibly. Why would they want her though? To pump her for information?"

"Maybe," Sydney replied.

"Syd, this isn't good," Broots said, stating the obvious. "We need a plan, a plan to help them escape again. If I know Raines he's going to take care in closing off every possible exit and have guards watching them 24 : 7," he rambled.

"Yes, Broots."

"But I don't think there's anything we can do to help them."

"I know, Broots."

"And I sure as hell don't want them doing anything to my Debbie."

"Broots! Get a hold of yourself, Man!" Sydney ordered, grabbing the techie by the collar of his brightly colored Hawaiian shirt.

The two men's argument was interrupted by the voice of a third.

"Mr. Broots! Sydney!" Dr. Raines called from the doorway.

The twins simultaneously shuddered and exchanged worried glances.

"Come with me," Raines ordered as a sweeper team stormed the room and lead Miss Parker's colleagues out the door and down the hallway, leaving the two young girls in the Lab alone.

They took the elevator all the way down to SL-26 and were lead to a room labeled,
'Re-education'.



Dun, dun, dun! I know. I'm mean. Sorry to leave you hanging there, but Part 5 is in the works.
Don't worry; be happy! :-D


What do you think? Feedback at CAT2886@aol.com