Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer in part I
Note: Pre-Pretender material from this story is also used in my other (separate) story, Who Controls the Past. I felt that the Pre-Pretender material gave way to an entire story in itself! I encourage you to please read WCTP also, if you end up liking this little "preview."




What The Future Holds
part 3
By Wandering Spirit




Beechwood Hotel
Suburban Philly, PA
May 3, 2002
7:00PM

Jarod awoke from a wonderful dream and noted the woman asleep in his arms. They had stayed in each other's embrace until they had fallen asleep; their minds heavy with thought. Parker stirred in his arms and let out a soft cry.

"No...don't take her...please, no...help, Mamma...No, please...Help me, Jarod...Mamma...I don't know what to do...save my baby," she whispered in distress.

"Par-...Myra, wake up. Myra, wake up," Jarod urged as he placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

"Mmhh?" Miss Parker whimpered as she awoke. She looked at her surroundings and relaxed.

"You all right?" Jarod asked in concern.

"It was just a dream...a horrible dream, but it was just a dream," Miss Parker replied, obviously shaken by the whole ordeal.

"It's over now," Jarod comforted. "They won't find you here. I'll protect you. I won't let anything happen, I promise."

********************************************************************************

The Centre
1970

A young, distraught Miss Parker hurried through the bowels of the Centre, desperately searching for her companion. She instinctively headed toward the direction of the Sim Lab, where she knew he would be at the time of day. She burst through the door to the lab, and Sydney, who had been intently observing Jarod, whirled around to confront the intruder.

"Oh God, Jarod," Miss Parker sobbed.

"Miss Parker, what wrong?" Jarod asked, worried, as he abruptly forgot about the simulation and hurried to his friend.

"Jarod!" Sydney admonished. His expression mellowed, however, when he noticed the look of pain on the young lady's face.

"I need to talk to you," Miss Parker requested, desperately. "Not here though. Somewhere else. Hurry," she spoke rapidly as she pulled Jarod in the direction of the door.

"I'll be back Sydney. Don't worry," Jarod called as he exited the room.

He saw Sydney turn toward the observation camera and say something, his mark accompanied by a frustrated sigh.

Miss Parker slowed down as she approached one of the many hidden alcoves in the building.

"What is it, Miss Parker? Why are you so sad?" Jarod wondered.

"It's Daddy," she explained in a hushed voice. "Jarod, he told me I couldn't see you anymore. He told me that I'd be punished if I even tried to get anywhere near you. He threatened to-...Jarod, I don't wanna leave you. I can't leave you. You're my best friend, and I care about you so much. I wouldn't be able to live without you, Jarod. I can't imagine what my life would be like without you. Jarod, please help me. Think of something. I don't want him to do this. I don't know what to do."

"Shh," Jarod soothed as he pulled his friend close in a warm embrace, allowing her to sob on his shoulder. I won't let anything happen. I promise..."

********************************************************************************

Present
Room 107

"...I promise," Jarod said again.

"Last time you said that..."

"Last time," Jarod began. "We had no control over the situation."

Parker was silent for a moment. Then, looking at him with sad eyes, she said, "In my dream, they took her, Jarod. They took our little girl, and there was nothing anyone could do."

"It was just a dream. That won't happen. I'll protect both of you," Jarod assured her.

"Don't let us down, Jarod. Please don't let us down," she whispered.

********************************************************************************

The Centre
1970

Later that day, after her conversation with Jarod, young Miss Parker sat on the couch in her father's office emotionally exhausted. All she could think about was Jarod. She thought back to a discussion that she had with her mother, about a week before her death.

'Will I ever find someone to love, like you found Daddy?' she had asked her mother.

'I think you will,' her mother had replied.

She thought of that conversation often, especially in light of recent events.

"I've found that someone," Miss Parker whispered to herself. Then the tears came.

"Angel!" her father called as he stepped into the room. "You're a Parker. It's about time you started acting like one. Stop crying. You're a disgrace to the Parker name!"

"Daddy, I want to see Jarod," Miss Parker demanded as she stood up, gathering all the courage she could muster.

"I'm afraid that's out of the question."

"But, Daddy...don't you want me to be happy?" Miss Parker inquired.

"I know what's best for my Angel, and your...' relationship' with that...freak, that science experiment of unacceptable!" Mr. Parker growled.

"Mamma would want me to be happy," she protested. " She said so herself. She said that-"

"I don't give a damn about what you mother thinks!" Mr. Parker exploded as he approached his daughter, causing her to shrink back in fear and fall onto the couch. "Your mother is dead! She can't influence you anymore! From now on, you will do as I say, and if you don't obey me you will suffer the consequences!"

"No, Daddy! I'm going to see Jarod!" she protested as she began to stand up.

"How dare you defy me!" Mr. Parker spat as he shoved his daughter back down onto the sofa.

"Let me see him! You can't take me away from him, Daddy! I love him!" Miss Parker screamed as she stood and struck her father across the face.

"Why you little..." Mr. Parker threatened, outraged that his own daughter would strike him.

"Daddy, I'm sorry!" Miss Parker gasped. "I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was doing! Please forgive me!"

"You little bitch! You're just as defiant as your mother!" Mr. Parker growled as he hit her.

Miss Parker collapsed on the couch, facedown, with a grunt.

"Only she was never stupid enough to fight back," he added.

Miss Parker slowly rose, her crystal blue eyes sparkling with hatred and tears of sorrow.

"Mamma wanted me to be with him," Miss Parker declared. "She planned to take up away from here so we could be together and-"

"Your mother was delusional! She had no idea what she was talking about half the time. She was sick, Angel. You shouldn't believe a word she said. It's a bunch of rubbish! All that happily ever after nonsense is never going to happen, Angel. You don't deserve it," Mr. Parker sneered.

"I deserve it a hell of a lot more than you do!" Miss Parker retorted.

She braced herself for the pain.

She felt the rough hands firmly grip her shoulders. She felt a spray of his saliva on her face, inches from his, as he ranted and shook her. She felt her heels lift from the ground as she was thrown across the room.

She felt her head strike the rough edge of the thick glass-top desk.

"Jarod, Mamma...help me," she whimpered

Then she felt numbness before even falling to the floor.

********************************************************************************

Present
T-board
The Centre
Blue Cove, DE
May 3. 2002
8:00 PM

Broots had thought it was all over...how wrong he was. After being interrogated for nearly an hour both he and Sydney had been released. They had been called back to the T-board a few moments later in response to some "new developments" in the search for the runaways. This couldn't be good.

"Mr. Broots, have you made any attempts to locate my daughter after you discovered she was missing?" Dr. Raines inquired.

"Y-y-yes, Sir," Broots replied, earnestly. "Sydney and I were worried, so we decided to trace her cell phone and credit card."

"And did you come up with any clues as to her current whereabouts?" Raines asked.

"W-w-well...only one, Sir," Broots replied.

"Dammit! Broots, you moron!" Sydney swore, using the familiar "Parker-ism" as he paced back and forth in his cell.

"She appears to have m-made a withdrawal from an ATM machine in Blue Cove, but that was hours ago. She could be anywhere by now," Broots explained.

Raines sighed, knowing that he wouldn't get any useful information from the techie.

"I understand your concern, D-doctor Raines," Broots added. "I know that if anything happened to Debbie that I would search high and l-"

"Are you aware, Mr. Broots, that we have had someone reply to a message we have posted online, confirming a sighting of both Jarod and my sister?" Lyle asked, with an amused grin. He liked to make Broots squirm almost as much as his sister did.

Sydney held his breath.

"N-n-no," Broots replied. "Where d-did they say they were?"

"That is, of course, none of your business," Mr. Lyle replied. "I was just wondering if you were surprised at their...carelessness."

"W-why do you want Miss Parker back so badly?" Broots asked. "I mean I understand why you want Jarod. We've been chasing him for years, but Miss Parker could have taken a nice vacation, or-"

"Because!" Lyle snapped. "She...has something that we want."

"Such as?" Broots challenged, surprising himself with his bravery. * Watch it, Broots. *

Lyle laughed.

"Now, if I told you that, I'd hafta kill you," Lyle replied.

Broots gulped.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Beechwood Hotel
room 107
May 4, 2002
7:00 AM

While Miss Parker, who was physically and emotionally exhausted, had slept the whole night. She awoke expecting to find Jarod lying next to her. She was surprised to find herself alone. There was a note in place of his sleeping form.

Myra,
I've gone to work at the local high school. There are some things I need to take care of.
See you this afternoon.
-J

"Hmm," Miss Parker mused, grinning like the Cheshire Cat. "Should I? Or shouldn't I?...I should," she decided as she got out of bed, quickly regretting her decision as a wave of nausea greeted her.

"Oh, God," she sighed as she raced to the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moore High School
Suburban Philly, PA
May 4, 2002
10:00 AM


"Okay, seeing as how we had a little too much fun with our lab yesterday, I thought it might be a good idea to give the class a quiz on lab procedure and the proper use of lab equipment," Jarod announced as he grabbed a stack of papers off his desk.

"Oh, come on!" Natalie protested. "Mrs. Mitchell would never do this to us."

"You've obviously been sleeping in class then," Meredith retorted. "Mrs. Mitchell has given us plenty of pop quizzes before."

"Meredith, you're NOT helping," Natalie grumbled. "Just because you never need to study for any test, in ANY subject, and still ace all of them doesn't mean you can have pleasure in watching the rest of us suffer."

Meredith smirked. "Yes it does," she replied smugly as she took a test paper and passed the rest of the pile to the student behind her.

Jarod's curiosity was peaked at hearing this exchange.

"Meredith is just lucky, I guess," Jarod replied.

"You kidding?" a student from the back row called out. "She's a genius or something! They pulled her out of class for an IQ test a few weeks back."

"A genius?" Jarod asked, cautiously. "Really..."

Meredith shrugged.

"If your school work is so easy, wouldn't your parents let you skip a grade or send you to another school with a more challenging curriculum?" Jarod asked.

"My parents would rather let me have a 'normal' education," Meredith replied using finger quotations in the appropriate place. "They thought that by integrating me into school with older kids or 'gifted' ones that it would have some horrible effect on my social skills. They say my social life is as equally important as my education."

"Jarod nodded," I guess it is important to know how to communicate with others in the outside world.

"Outside world?" Natalie questioned. "What planet are you from?"

"Earth, of course," Jarod replied, puzzled. * What planet did she think I was from? *

"Like that," Meredith laughed. "They don't want me saying stupid things like that."

Jarod blushed.

"Besides," Meredith continued. "Back when they were looking at gifted programs, they came across this weird place in Delaware..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beachwood Hotel
Room 107
May 4, 2002
10:00 AM

Miss Parker had spent most of the morning developing her new identity: Myra Seraph. She chuckled for a moment. She was no longer a Parker, or a Raines. But somehow having a last name that meant "angel" seemed okay. Sure, it was Mr. Parker's nickname for her, but she still wasn't ready to let go of the fact that she had trusted her father at one point in time, and that back when her mother was alive, her father had seemed so much happier, more kind, somehow. Despite everything that had happened she still wasn't ready to let go of the only man she knew as her father. Plus now, without a doubt, she'd be traveling with Jarod righting wrongs and bringing justice to the world. She would be a guardian angel of sorts. Either way, it seemed appropriate.

Miss Parker, a.k.a. Myra Seraph, had falsified her life from her birth certificate to her job credentials.

Ironic, she thought. All my life I have been living a lie, and I still will be. Now, least I'm making the lie a happier one.

She checked her appearance in the mirror. Nodding with approval at her modest outfit, she stuffed her papers, ID, etc. into her shoulder bag and left the hotel room.

Nodding hello to the clerk in the lobby, who was busy talking on the telephone, Myra walked out of the hotel, and headed to her rental car.

"Yes, the woman just left," the clerk talked into the phone. "You said her name was Parker?"

"That's correct," a voice on the other end of the line wheezed. "My...associates and I should be arriving in about an hour."