Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +


Disclaimer: In first chapter.


Chapter 2


Miss Parker backed away from Jarod, quickly getting up. The quick movements sent a wave of dizziness through her. She watched from the corners of her eyes as Jarod and her supposed son, reached out to steady her. Leaning more on the boy, she stared at Jarod with angry eyes. "It amazes me to the lengths you will go to torture me, but this…" she paused, waving her right hand around towards the kids. "…is the ultimate low. I can't believe you would use children in this sick little game of yours." she spat out.


Jarod gave her a bewildered look. "What are you talking about? These children are ours," he stated evenly.


"These are not our children. Well, they're not mine. I think I would remember something like that."


Jarod shook his head sadly at her. Seeing her starting to sway again, he took a step closer. Instead of leaning on him for support, she pushed him away. "Would you stop acting like a child, and let my look at the cut on your head?" he said with frustration.


Seeing the growing tension between her parents, Sarah intervened. "Mom, stop being stubborn and let Dad take a look. Don't have a fight out here on the driveway," she pleaded.


Miss Parker looked from Jarod to the young girl standing beside him. Her brown eyes were begging them to stop fighting. Feeling slightly guilty, she looked back at Jarod. "Fine, have a look. Knock your self out," she replied with a calmer voice.


Letting out a heavy sigh, Jarod took a hesitant step closer. Pushing aside her hair, he examined the cut on her head. "Brandon, run in the house and get me a towel," Jarod said over his shoulder.


"Okay, Dad," replied the red headed boy as he ran up the porch and into the house.


"How bad is it? Should we take her to the hospital?" asked the older boy with concern.


"I don't think she needs any stitches." While still holding her face in his hands, Jarod looked down at Miss Parker. "You should go see a doctor. I'm very worried about your memory loss. You could be suffering from some bout of amnesia."


Miss Parker stepped out of Jarod's grasp, giving him a baffled look. "I'm not suffering from memory loss. I don't have amnesia. I'm perfectly sane."


"God mom! Why do you have to fight him on everything? All he's trying to do is help you," defended Sarah.


"Sarah-"


The young girl put her hand up, letting her Dad know that she wasn't finished. "No Dad, I'm tired of all this. I wish for once you guys would put aside your petty differences, and start acting like adults." With that, Sarah turned on her heels, running towards the house.


Miss Parker gave the girl a perplexed look as she ran into the house. Looking back at Jarod with more seriousness she asked, "What is going on, Jarod?"


He continued to keep his gaze focused on the door. "They say children are the real victims of divorce," he stated sadly.


"Divorce? Are you saying that we're divorced?" she asked with a stunned voice.


Reluctantly turning his head back around he answered, "Well, almost. Another two months we'll be officially divorced."


Miss Parker could see the sadness in his eyes as he said this. What happened for them to be like this? "How long have we been separated?"


"For about six months now," he responded back.


"Oh." Hearing a door slam, she looked up to find Brandon running across the lawn with a towel. Holding it up in his hand he offered it to her with a big grin on his face. She couldn't help but smile back at the boy as she took it from him. "Thank you."


"No problem." Looking between his parents he asked, "Is it alright if I play my video games?"


"Is your homework done?" Miss Parker asked. Wait, where did that come from? she thought. The little boy shook his head up and down vigorously. "Yes, it's okay then."


"Thanks, Mom." Turning to his older brother he asked, "Josh, are you coming?"


"Go ahead. I'll just be a few minutes." Brandon quickly nodded as he ran back into the house. Turning his attention back to his parents Josh said, "You know, it's not too late for you guys to reconsider this divorce. I know you both still love each other. I just don't understand why you can't make it work. You both make everything harder than it has to be."


Jarod looked over at his son who was now already the same height as he was. Giving him a sympathetic look he answered, "Josh, I wish it were that simple, but there are some things that will never change."


Josh shook his head. "Dad, Grandpa Parker will always be a part of our lives. I know you two can find a truce somehow. You two fighting all the time is tearing Mom apart. I wish you both could see that."


Miss Parker didn't know what to say. There were so many questions running through her mind right now. The biggest one was if her father knew where Jarod was, then why wasn't he at the Centre? In fact, why wasn't she at the Centre? Her father would never stand for their marriage. She remained silent as she continued to listen to the conversation between Jarod and Josh.


Jarod put his hands in his jean pockets, as he shuffled on his feet, clearly feeling uncomfortable. "Josh, all I can say is that there is more to it."


Becoming frustrated, Josh took a step closer to his father. "When are you going to start realizing I'm not a child anymore? I'm tired of everyone trying to put on a brave front for us 'kids'. We're not stupid, you know? I just wish…" stopping mid sentence, Josh focused on the figure getting out of a red convertible.


Miss Parker followed his gaze as she watched a red car pull to a stop by the curb. She watched as a petite, red hair lady got out, carrying a book with her. Turning back around, she could see dreadful look in Jarod's eyes. If he wasn't uncomfortable before, he truly was now. Looking over at Josh, she could see the anger building within him as he clenched his fists.


Josh stood right in front of Jarod, only mere inches apart. "I can't believe you. What the hell is she doing her?" he growled out, pointing at the red headed woman.


"Josh, I don't know…"


Josh interrupted. "She has no right being here. No right," he said harshly. "You know what, maybe its better that you leave."


"She's just my lawyer for the divorce. That's it," Jarod said defensively. "What gives you the right to talk to me like that, I'm you're father."


Josh scoffed at Jarod. "Sorry DAD, but you've lost that privilege once you left us. A real man wouldn't abandon his family."


Jarod was about to respond back, but the red hair lady interrupted the little family fathering. "Jarod, when you left my office you forgot this," she said handing him the book.


"Uh, thanks."


"No problem." Turning towards the other two people she commented, "So, this must be your oldest son, Josh." Offering her hand out she said, "Hi I'm Zoe, how do you do?"


Josh looked at her hand in disgust, as if it was the vilest thing he'd ever seen in his life. Ignoring the offered hand he replied crisply, "Fine."


Zoe seemed a bit hurt by Josh's tone as she turned her attention from Josh to Miss Parker. "Hello," she said with a forced smile.


"Hello," Miss Parker replied evenly.


Zoe turned from the duo, looking back at Jarod. "Well, we better get going. We have more things to go over," she said in a hushed whisper.


Jarod looked from Zoe, to his son and soon to be ex-wife. Sensing that staying here would only cause more problems between him and Josh, Jarod let out a heavy sigh as he said gently, "Make sure she sees a doctor."


Putting a protective arm around his mother's shoulders, Josh responded sarcastically, "Don't worry, I wouldn't want you to strain yourself thinking about are little family."


The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Miss Parker had to do something to calm Josh and Jarod down. Walking up to Jarod she said, "Jarod, maybe it's best if you go. I'll be fine."


"Are you sure?"


"Positive."


Jarod looked back at her for a few seconds, before nodding his head. "Listen, call me and let me know how everything went." Letting his gaze fall back on Josh he said, "Young man, the two of us need to have a little talk about manners."


"I'll be counting the days," he said caustically.


Jarod clenched his jaw at the remark, but remain silent. Looking one more time at Miss Parker, he reluctantly turned around, following Zoe out to their cars.


XXXXXX


To Be Continued…