Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: "The Pretender" and its characters do not belong to me they belong to TNT and are being used without permission. Please don't sue because I haveno money.

Author's note: In this story Jarod never escaped, Catherine Parker did die when she gave birth to Ethan. Mr. and Mrs. Clausen never died and Ethan is still with them. Mr. Raines never got the chance to be near Ethan and he does have the inner sense. Also, Gemini was never born. Italic is Catherine Parker talking to Ethan.



Freedom2
By:24



Jarod was in his room inside the Centre getting ready for what he would do everyday, eat, do simulations, eat, Sims again, eat and have free time. He liked to help people doing the work he was doing, he should since he's been doing this kind of work ever since he was brought here.

The door opened allowing the person to enter and bring him his tray. After that he brushed his teeth and waited for Willie and Sam to take him to the lab to begin his day.

As he was ushered inside the elevator that would take him to the sim lab. He was eager to find out what sim he was going to do this time.

*****
Clausen home.

"I have a brother and a sister?"

"Yes, you do little man."

"Who are they and what are their names?"

"Miss Parker is my daughter, my Angel and she is your big sister. She works for the Centre. Jarod is your big brother and was taken from his parents when he was a child because he's special like you are, my son."

"Can he hear voices like I can, Mom?"

"No, little man. He was taken because he's a pretender, a genius who can become anyone he wants to be. He's been in isolation for a long time and never allowed to go outside. You have to go rescue him. He doesn't know that the work that he does is used for. You must go now."

"How will I convince him to come with me? What happens if I get caught?"

"I'm sure that you can think of something. If not I'll help you. I'll be there with you inside the Centre. I won't let you get caught, my son."

"Okay, Mom."

Ethan packed his things, walked to the car, threw his things into it and took off.

*****
Blue Cove, Delaware
Near the Centre.

Ethan wandered into the woods surrounding the Centre; going where his mother told him to go so he could get inside the Centre. Lifting the cover off that exposed a tunnel that lead to inside the Centre.

After it felt like he has been walking forever, his mother told him to stop.

"He's not guarded now, you may go and talk to him. The camera's aren't working either, so they won't see you."

Ethan nodded his head indicating that he had heard her. He kicked the vent cover and landed on the floor startling the man inside.

"Who are you?"

"I'm Ethan."

"Why are you here?"

"To get you out."

"Why would you do that?"

"Because I need to take you out of the Centre. I'm your brother Jarod. I was sent here by Catherine Parker."

"I have a brother? Catherine Parker is dead how can you talk to her?"

"I have a gift called the Inner Sense which means I can talk to dead people."

Jarod looked at Ethan and knew that he was telling the truth of course it helped because of what Angelo can do.

"Why do you want to get me out of here?"

"You do simulations here, right?"

"Yes, I help people."

"I'm sorry to say, but some of your Sims have been used to hurt and kill people."

"Sydney would never allow that."

"He doesn't know."

"Come on Jarod, follow me. We have to hurry."

Jarod glanced at the door and then back at Ethan. "Okay, I'll go with you."

Jarod and Ethan made their way to the outside. Jarod looking around him in awe.

"I'm taking you to my parents house and you can stay there."

"Okay."

They stopped by a clothing store to buy clothes for Jarod because he only had his Centre uniform on. As they drove back to the Clausen's house Jarod looked at all the houses around him. After Ethan parked the car they went inside. There was a note on the table by the door.

Ethan,

We are at The Millers and will be back soon.

Love,
Mom and Dad.

"What do you want to eat?"

"Optional Nutritional Supplement."

"What's that?"

"Wheat grass mixed with tomatoes."

"Sorry, but we don't have that here. Let's see... We have leftover meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and some vegetables."

"What are meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy? What is if leftover from? Is it still good is that why it's leftover?"

Ethan looked at him strangely and smiled at him. "Meatloaf is ground hamburger mixed with onions and other stuff, mashed potatoes are potatoes that have been boiled and then mashed and you put the gravy over them. Yes, it's still good. It was leftover from yesterday."

"Okay. I'll have some."

"Why don't you watch some TV?"

"TV?" Jarod asked curiously

"Yes, I'll show you." Ethan replied after seeing Jarod's confused reaction.

Ethan walked towards the remote and turned on the TV, flipping through the channels so that Jarod could see what was on.

Jarod sat down on the couch and flipped through the channels after Ethan gave him the remote. They ate dinner in front of the TV that night.

"This is very good."

"Do you want ice cream after dinner?"

"Ice Cream?"

"Yes, come on I'll show you."

"There's chocolate chocolate chip ice cream and then there's plain vanilla."

Jarod looked at both of them and then turned to Ethan after inspecting the ice cream. "Can I have both?"

"Sure, go ahead." Ethan scooped a generous helping into the bowl for Jarod and into his bowl. "Let's go back and watch more TV."

"Okay."

On the couch again Jarod examined the ice cream and then ate it. "It's very good." He said after swallowing it.

"I'm glad that you liked it."

The door unlocked and Mr. and Mrs. Clausen came in.

"Mom, Dad this is my friend Jarod. Jarod this is my mom and dad."

"Hi Jarod. It's good to see you." Mr. Clausen said as he held out his hand. Luckily Sydney had taught him what to do in this situation after he taught him to tie a tie.

"I asked him to stay with us."

"That's fine son."

****
Later that night.

"Ethan, wake up."

"What is it mom?"

"Jarod's having a nightmare. You need to calm him before your parents wake up."

Ethan padded towards the guest room that Jarod was staying in and went in. "Jarod, wake up. It's okay your safe now."

Jarod woke up frightened as he glanced around him and saw Ethan.

"It's okay, Jarod. You are safe now."

Jarod blinked up at Ethan. "I'm sorry that I woke you."

"You didn't wake me, my mom did. She was the one that told me that you were having a nightmare."

"Mrs. Parker?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry that she had to wake you."

"It's okay Jarod. Now go back to sleep."

"Thank you Ethan." Jarod said as Ethan began to leave the room.

"You're welcome, big bro."

Ethan had explained why he didn't want to introduce Jarod as his brother. There would be too many questions, plus he didn't want to hurt them.

Jarod smiled as he heard that term and drifted back to sleep.

****
Next morning
7:00 a.m.

Jarod could smell something good and his stomach was growling. He got dressed and went down the stairs. In the kitchen he found Ethan, Mr. Clausen at the
table and Mrs. Clausen was cooking.

"Come and sit down Jarod. I'm making pancakes, eggs and bacon."

Jarod didn't get the chance to ask what they were because a plate was stuck in front of him. After Ethan told him that he could put syrup on it he began to eat as the others did to. "This is very good, Mrs. Clausen."

She smiled at him "Thank you."

"Do you want some more?"

"Yes, please."

Jarod ate a few more pancakes drenched in maple syrup.

"Mom, Dad we are going for a drive after breakfast."

"Okay."

After Jarod helped with the dishes, they drove around and went to the mall.

"This place is called a mall there are bunches of stores in this building. The stores range to toys, books, clothes, a candy store, video games, videos and sports stuff."

Jarod smiled as the stepped in the mall noticing all the stores around him. "Can we go here?"

"Okay."

Ethan had given him some money to spend and Jarod would pay him back.

They stepped into the candy store "What's this?"

"That is a pez dispenser." Ethan described the dispenser, candy and the rest of the candy.

Walking out the store with candy and of course a pez dispenser and the candy that went in it. The next stop was the toy store.

"What's this?"

"That is play dough." Ethan replied explaining play dough, slinky's, teddy bears and other toys to him.

Lunchtime was upon them, so they went to the food court. "What do you want, Jarod?"

"There are so many things to choose from."

Settling on a hamburger, fries and a soda from McDonalds they took their things over to a table and began eating. "This is good. There are so many things out there that I have yet to discover."

"And discover them you shall."

"I can't believe that the Centre never allowed me to have ice cream, pez or any of this other things. I'm glad to be out of there though. There are other things to experience too like the flowers, the sun, and the moon. You have no idea what it was like to be locked up from all of this."

"Well, you're out now. You have time to discover everything even figures of speech."

Jarod grinned at that. "Yes, that gets me into trouble too."

"You'll learn, Jarod."

After they finished their lunch they went to some more stores and then they drove back home.

Jarod stayed there for a week and then it was time for him to go.

"Thank you so much for getting me out of the Centre. Thank you for the money that you gave me. I'll repay you. I know that place to get the money too. After all they do owe me money for the work that I did for them." Jarod said with a grin.

"Jarod, I want you to know something. Your parents are still alive. The Centre told you that they were dead, but they are not. Also, you have a sister and brother out there too."

"Thank you, Ethan."

They hugged and then Jarod walked towards the taxi and took off.

****
Four days later.

Ethan had just checked the mail and looked at the card that was addressed to him.

Dear Ethan,

Thank you so much for what you did for me. You gave me the greatest gift of all. You gave me the gift of freedom and I'll cherish it always. If you need any help, you know how to contact me.

Love,
Your big bro, Jarod.

In the note was the money that he had lent Jarod and then some.

You're welcome, big bro. Ethan thought as he went into the house and closed the door.

The End.