Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first chapter

Chapter 2

Broots couldn’t believe it. He shot Miss Parker. Her body was lying on the floor; face down, in a crumpled mess. He’ll never forget the look on her face right before the bullet hit her. It would haunt him forever.

He could still see her face contorting into all sorts of emotions over those few seconds. There was disbelieve, fear, understanding, and sympathy for him. The last emotion he didn’t deserve. He felt so disgusted with himself, because he knew he took the coward’s way out.

Complete shock was starting to take over his body. He dropped the gun on the floor and fell to his knees. He wanted to go over and help her, but his body wouldn’t let him. Broots felt so much sorrow for the unconscious form lying before him. She didn’t deserve this. Feeling his emotions starting to bubble over, he put his face in his hands, and wept for the friend he just murdered.

XXXXXXXX

Jarod sped through the small town streets, trying to get to Miss Parker in time. He just found out not to long ago that the hit put out on her was moved up twenty-four hours. He tried to reach her by phone, but there was no answer. He called her cell phone, but he couldn’t get a signal, due to the storm raging outside.

He couldn’t believe how fast the rain was coming down. The windshield wipers were going as fast as they could, but the rain still cascaded down the windows like a waterfall. Jarod slammed his hand against the steering wheel, cursing under his breath. If something bad happened to Miss Parker, he would never forgive himself. Looking at the clock on the dashboard, he realized he had twenty minutes left to warn her in time.

With more determination, he stepped on the gas pedal, making the car go faster. He was glad he did that pretend all those years ago, becoming a stuntman. The driving stunts he learned back then were coming in handy for him tonight. Jarod rounded the curves with such ease. A couple of times he fishtailed, but gained control without any problems.

Jarod finally reached the area that Miss Parker lived in. Instead of driving down the street she lived on, he parked his car on the street that was situated behind her house. Parking his car, he gathered up his items and headed towards her house.

He was glad this street wasn’t as populated as Miss Parker’s. It would make it easier for him to go undetected. Jarod slung his backpack over his shoulders and ran across the street to the woods.

Jarod could hear and see the lightening and thunder crackling over him. In some weird way, he felt like Mother Nature was against him on this. Laughing at him through the thunder. Throwing obstacles in his way in the form of this ungodly rain that was coming down.

When Jarod was a safe distance from the road, he crept under a large maple tree, seeking shelter from the rain. He pulled his backpack off his shoulders and opened it. He pulled out a ski mask, night vision goggles, pepper spray, and a handgun. He had no idea what he walking into and needed to be prepared. Jarod put the ski mask on and then slipped on the night vision goggles. He put the pepper spray in his pocket and placed the gun in the back of his waistband. Slipping the backpack back over his shoulders again, he slowly crept up the hill, towards Parker’s house.

When Jarod reached the clearing, he settled down on the ground, looking around for any sweepers. Through the goggles he found two sweepers hidden among the trees, both with sniper rifles in their hands, ready to shoot anything that didn’t belong. He estimated there was a distance of seventy feet between the sweepers. Keeping low to the ground, he made his way towards them.

The first sweeper was no problem. Before he had a chance to react, Jarod picked up a tree branch and smacked him in the head with it, knocking him out. Jarod dragged the sweeper to a tree. Having the sweeper sitting up, Jarod pulled out some rope from his pack and tied the sweeper to the tree. He then placed some tape over his mouth and placed a blindfold over his eyes. Taking the rifle, Jarod set it down away from the sweeper, covering it with leaves. When he was done, Jarod made his way to the next one.

The other sweeper was alerted to his presence, by the twigs he stepped on. The sweeper threw his leg out, taking Jarod’s legs out from underneath him. Jarod tried to get up, but the sweeper was standing over him, pointing his gun at him. The sweeper smirked at him and pulled the trigger.

Jarod closed his eyes preparing for the shot. He heard the gun click, but no bullet came out. “What the hell?” Said the sweeper. Jarod used the distraction to his advantage. Pulling out the pepper spray, he sprayed the contents at the sweeper. The sweeper yelped out when the fiery liquid came in contact with his eyes. Jarod jumped up and punched the sweeper in the face, knocking him out. He then did the same thing as he did with the previous sweeper and tied him to a tree.

When Jarod looked up at Miss Parker’s house the lights went out. Hiding among the shadows, he crept up the back porch steps towards the backdoor. He peered through the window, but the only thing he could see was darkness. Kneeling down by the door, Jarod took the glasscutter out of his bag. Standing back up, Jarod put the suction cup on the window, and made a small circle with the cutter. Being ever so quiet, he pulled the suction cup off, taking the cut glass with it. Putting his hand through the vacated glass, he unlocked the door, letting himself in.

XXXXXXX

After about five minutes, Broots slowly got up. Wiping the tears away with the back of his hand, he headed to the chair he vacated and picked up his baseball cap and put it back on. Walking back across the room, Broots paused by Miss Parker. He knelt down beside her and reached out to her, but quickly brought his hand back up. He couldn’t even bring himself to touch her.

“I’m sorry, Miss Parker,” he whispered softly to her. Broots looked down at his watch and noticed the time; he had to get out of here. Just when he picked up his gun the lights went out. ‘The storm must be getting nasty out there,’ he thought to himself. Turning back around he headed towards the front door.

XXXXXX

With his goggles still on, Jarod carefully walked through the kitchen. The last thing he wanted was to have Miss Parker pointing a gun at him. When Jarod got to the entranceway, he let the wall conceal his body and peeked his head out. He couldn’t believe what he was looking at.

Miss Parker was lying on the floor. No movement was coming from her. Jarod could feel his knees growing weak. “I let her down,” he said in a sad whisper. Jarod was about to walk out when he noticed movement coming from the door. A man came out, and knelt down by Miss Parker. Jarod could feel the anger starting to build in him. He tried to get a good look at the man, but his back was towards him, hiding his face. To make matters worse, his goggles were starting to malfunction. Just before they went off, the goggles allowed Jarod to see the man walk over and pick up a gun. Jarod didn’t know whom this man was, but he was going to pay for what he did.

Taking the goggles off, Jarod went after the man, jumping on his back. Both men fell down on the ground. Before Miss Parker’s assailant could say anything, Jarod sprayed the pepper spray in his eyes. The man screamed out in pain, scrambling over to the wall.

“Oh no you don’t. You’re not getting away that easy!” He shouted at the man. Jarod flipped him over and was about to punch him when lightening flashed in the room. The illumination revealed a face that Jarod was shocked to see.

“You were the hitman,” Jarod said in disbelief.

Broots couldn’t see anything in front of him, but he recognized the voice. It was Jarod. He tried to open his eyes, but they felt like they were on fire. “Jarod, you don’t understand. I had to do it,” he mumbled out sadly.

Jarod grabbed Broots by the collar and brought his face within inches of his own. “How could you do this to her?” He spat out.

“Jarod, please, I have to go.” Broots brought his hands up to Jarod’s, trying to free his shirt from his firm grip. “Oh God, my eyes. Jarod I need some water,” he pleaded.

Jarod reluctantly let go of his shirt, and walked over to Miss Parker. The lightening flashed again, revealing Miss Parker’s body. She looked so peaceful. Jarod was surprised there was no blood around her. Kneeling down beside her, he gently rolled her over on her back. Just when he did this the electricity came back on.

There was a bullet hole in her shirt, but there was no blood. He could feel hope slowly surging through him. He lifted up her shirt to the point where the bullet would have entered her body. The sight before him brought a smile to his face. She did take his advice. Underneath her shirt was a bulletproof vest. The bullet that would have been in her abdomen was lodged in the Kevlar vest.

Jarod checked her pulse, and found that her heart was still beating in her. He let out a sigh of relief. Trying to wake her, he shook her shoulders and gently patted her on the cheeks. “Miss Parker, wake up,” he kept repeating to her.

He looked over at Broots who was still in agony. Jarod still couldn’t get over the fact that Broots was sent to kill Miss Parker. Jarod looked back down at Miss Parker who now seemed to be coming about. He couldn’t stop the smile that came to his face when she opened her eyes.

Rubbing the back of her head she asked, “What the hell is going on?”

To Be Continued...