Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is in part one and there is some spoiler warnings to heed. . .this takes place in the third season but was inspired by the episode entitled "Until Death do Us Part"




The House That Jarod Built
2/?
by Trish






The news that the doctor gave the two men was devastating. Jarod watched the facial features of the men, and knew. Hell, he had known the minute Cole told him that his back was on fire and that he couldn't feel his legs. Jarod had hoped that he had been wrong but he didn't have to pretend this time. According to Cole's brother, it was Braydon's fault, yet proving it would be difficult. Braydon had connections and deep pockets.

Watching as Thomas and Alex made their way to the trauma room Cole was in, temporarily. He shook his head, clearing his thoughts, letting them return to the events of that afternoon. The heated argument that had started between Thomas Gates and the man, Braydon-"Another accident...Shut you down" echoed in his brain. Heading out of the exit, a plan formulating in his mind, he was oblivious to someone calling out his name. That is until he felt the touch of a hand on his shoulder.

"Hey, Jarod!" The hand and voice were that of Thomas Gates. "Where are you going? I must have called you three times. The why you lit out, it’s like you are a man on a mission?"

"You could say that," Jarod said matter-of-factly.

"Look, I want to say thanks, so does Alex. Can I buy you dinner?" The man smiled and headed for his truck. "Alex is spending the night with Cole and I hate eating alone. I'll stop by in the morning, and then pay Braydon another visit. I need to look at that planking and the handrail. My guess is the wood was full of dry rot."

"And the handrail unlocking?" Jarod asked cautiously, not wanting to seem overly concerned.

"Any number of reasons..." Thomas trailed off as they reached his truck. He unlocked the door for his passenger and made his way to the driver's side. "Pizza?"

"You don't like him, do you?"

"Who?"

"Braydon"

"Is it that obvious? He's a careless and greedy sob. I didn't want Cole to work for him, but I can only hire so many workers. . .jobs are awarded according to bid."

"You're Braydon's competition?"

"I try," Thomas laughed, "but I don't take on a project unless the house speaks to me."

"Speaks to you?" Jarod asked, a confused look on his face.

"Restoring old homes----that's my business, actually it's my life. So when I walk through a house, it has to speak to me. I need to feel a sense of love in it before I'll even consider working on it. Anyone can go in and gut a house, then rebuild, but to really fix it one has to love every knot, every two by four and restore it to what it was. Listen to me, I must sound like an idiot."

"No, actually I find this quite fascinating," Jarod leaned back in the seat, and listened to Thomas talk about carpentry and life in general.




Feedback please : Ractrish@aol.com