Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is that I don't own them but I needed them . . . . .picks up were season four ended. . . . Feedback is always appreciated. . . .Thank you for all the feedback on the first part, it's nice to now that my stories are being read. . . . .




Despite, Herself
part 3
Distant Voices
by Trish





Ethan suddenly felt quite exposed out in the open, his keen brown eyes scrutinizing the murky shadows and so he stayed concealed among the rubble of concrete and twisted metal. He saw no sign of threat, but he felt a burgeoning sense of danger-not a simple reaction from seeing the destruction caused by his bomb, but a welling up from within alerted him. The sound of the voices warning him that he had to get to his sister and brother. The hairs on the back of his neck tingled and he saw the shadows move toward her, but there was no sign of his brother.

Ethan sought the calm center, the place without thought, the fount of peace within, and cloaked himself in instinct. He felt the searing pain seep through him. Her pain. He felt what had been done to her, and what lingered. In his empathy, he felt the torment of her life, the anguish of her former self lost. Her eyes closed, he took it into himself. Though he didn't see the events involved, he understood the trail of scars they left on her soul. He hardened his will in order to endure the suffering of it. He stood, a rock, in a torrent of hurt rushing into his soul. He was her rock. Without fully understanding the feelings he was having, he let his instinct guide him. He felt himself soaking up her suffering so that she wouldn't have to endure it, so he could help her, and at the same time he felt an inner warmth flowing outward through his hand on her flesh. Through that hand it seemed he was connected to her spark of life, to her soul.

Ethan felt the pain that had come into him from her begin to dissipate. Only then did he realize he was holding his breath with the agony of it, and let the breath go. The warmth flowing from within him began to fade, too, and at last was gone. Ethan removed his hand, and brushed her dark hair back from her face. Her eyes came open, a dazed, blue-eyed gaze meeting his.

"Ethan," her voice low, her eyes darting toward the door, "How? Did they . . ."

"She guided me," he leaned in closer, " We're to protect each other, that's what she told me."

"Jarod?" her eyes locking with his.

Ethan shook his head. They stared at each other in silence.


TBC?





Feedback please Ractrish@aol.com