Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: “The Pretender” and its characters do not belong to me they belong to TNT and NBC and do not belong to me. They are being used without permission. Please don’t sue because I have no money.


Safe
By: 24


Jarod laid in a huddled mass on the concrete floor. He had been here for a while. They had beaten him when he arrived and shoved him into the cell locking the door behind them. He looked up at the cell door wondering if he would ever escape this time. The drainage ditch that he had escaped before was still welded shut, so there was no out for him this time. He looked up and stared at the unblinking eye of the camera. He hated the cameras. Everyday of his life had been recorded. The only time that he didn’t have the cameras on him was when he was in his tiny cell.

He closed his eyes and turned away from the camera. He would have to bide his time and one day they would mess up and then he would make his escape. Then he would make his way back towards Lesley. His lovely Lesley. It would take some time between getting out and then making his way there. He would have to do some pretends to throw the Centre away from checking back to Lesley and then when he got there he would have to do surveillance to make sure that there were no sweepers around. Simming it in his mind he smiled as he thought about being reunited with her again.

The door to the room opened and he quickly got up and faced whoever would be coming through the door. He stepped back as he saw who it was.

“Hello Jarod.”

“Lyle, what are you doing here?”

“Well, I am in charge of you now.” He smiled at him.

“No.”

“Yes, Jarod. We can’t let Sydney near you, or my twit of a sister.”

“She’s the one that caught me not you.”

“I know. She was allowed to leave anyways. She’s gone already. Don’t know where she’s at though.”

Pain filled days and weeks went by for Jarod who had refused time and time again to work for them.

“Jarod, Jarod, when are you going to get it that the Centre owns you. Isn’t that what Damon said after he shot and killed Kenny? The Centre owns you, so get used to it.”

One of the sweepers unlocked the cuffs holding his hands above his head and he fell in a huddle on the floor. He looked as the sweepers and Lyle walked out of the cell and out the door leading to the room. He closed his eyes as they left him alone.

He opened them again when he heard a noise. He looked up at that camera, but the red light was off. He watched as people made his way towards him. He focused on the man who was in the lead. He recognized this man. It was Lesley’s father, Mr. Wilson.

He walked towards the cell, unlocked it and opened the door. The men walked in behind him.

“Jarod, are you alright?”

“I am now.”

He tried to get up, but he was a little weak. Mr. Wilson glanced around and saw his black shirt that they had taken off of him. He put the shirt on after looking at his back and one of the other men picked him up. They dragged him to the vent, but not before Angelo peeked out.

“Angelo. What are you doing here?”

“Goodbye my friend. Safe now. Safe from them. Will have your freedom now.”

He smiled at his friend. “Why don’t you come with us?”

“Can’t.”

Jarod nodded and then reached out for his friend. “I will miss you Angelo. Thank you for helping Kyle and me. Thank you for what you did.”

Angelo smiled a beautiful smile “Your Welcome, Jarod. Go now. Be happy.”

“I will. If you need me you know how to contact me.”

Angelo nodded and went back into the vents disappearing from their sight. Then they to left and sped off in the van that they drove here in. Jarod leaned his head back and sighed. He was free again and that’s what mattered. He watched as the scenery went by and turned his head towards Mr. Wilson who was driving.

“Thank you for getting me out, Mr. Wilson.”

“You’re Welcome Jarod.”

They drove through the day and almost through the night. They finally stopped at a house that was already lit up. They got out of the van and someone helped Jarod out. The door was unlocked and there was a wonderful smell as they walked in. The door to the kitchen opened and a woman stood there with a smile on her face.

“Jarod. Jarod, you’re finally here. They did it.” She saw a bruise on his face, but she didn’t care as she rushed towards him and hugged him.

“Lesley. Oh, my Lesley.” He said as he hugged her back. “I’m so glad to be here.”

“Jarod, tell me all about it. I mean not what happened, but what happened now. They need to know too because they put their lives on the line rescuing you.” She nodded to her father and the other men.

They sat in the living room. Jarod looked around and then back to Lesley and started his woeful tale.

“When I was a child I was stolen from my family and taken to the Centre where I did simulations. You see I am a pretender, a genius who can become anyone that I want to be. When I was younger Miss Parker came into my life. She was my childhood friend. I was introduced to her in an experiment. We were inseparable. She saw her mother supposedly killed right in front of her. It was later when I was on the outside that she was not dead, but gave birth to my and Miss Parker’s brother Ethan. Then she was sent to boarding school and I never saw her again until she was put on the pursuit. When I got older I found out that they were using my work to hurt and kill people and so I escaped. My handler, or mentor Sydney was put on the chase too. Then there’s Broots who’s a computer tech on the hunt. When I was on the outside I helped Miss Parker with the truth’s to her past, I helped Sydney know that he had a son and I’ve helped Broots gain custody of his daughter. I’ve also moved around a lot doing various pretends helping people. I was in isolation my whole life and found many discoveries. I found about ice cream, pez, Twinkies, donuts and other things. I was only fed wheat grass stewed with tomatoes. It was the first year that I escaped when I found out a child that I did a couple of Sims with whose name was Kyle was my brother. It was later that Miss Parker’s twin brother Mr. Lyle killed him. Mr. Lyle was aiming for me and Kyle got in front of me. I donated his heart to a dying child. When I was in the Centre I did a cloning simulation and it was a couple of years when I found my father we found a younger me. It was a surprise to see the boy who’s project name is Gemini. I rescued him, but my father was taken back to the Centre. I took the chairman Mr. Parker and traded him for my father. Miss Parker got shot and I stayed behind while the boy and my father took off in the plane. I have seen my mom, but haven’t yet met her. The first year out I found out that when my parents were in hiding my mom gave birth to a girl whose name is Emily. It was later that I found her when Mr. Lyle pushed her out the window. My father was at the hospital and then the sweepers came. We had to quickly get her out and went to another place.”

“My goodness Jarod. I’m so sorry that that happed to you. Who was that man Angelo?”

“He was also one of our friend. His name was Timmy until Mr. Raines who was Timmy’s handler electro shocked him and made him into Angelo. He’s now an empath. He showed up at a cabin I was staying at because I was trying to find the next child that the Centre was going to take. I concocted a treatment to help Angelo become Timmy. I made the same treatment to help Davy because they did the same thing to him as they did to Angelo. Miss Parker was there and fired her gun and when that happened the owner of the cabins came in knocking Miss Parker away and the vial smashed to the floor. Angelo still had one treatment left and he gave it to Davy. Angelo helped us escaped. I took Davy and placed him in a loving family.”

“Jarod, I think we should tend to your wounds.”

“I’ll do that later.”

“You must be hungry. Why don’t we eat first and then clean you up.”

Jarod ate a big helping of lasagna and then went with Mr. Wilson so he could help with the wounds on his back.

“Thank you Mr. Wilson for everything.”

“Like I said before. You’re Welcome.”