Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Erich
by Jonathan Yip




Jarod sat in the bathtub, thinking . He popped a Pez into his mouth and opened the Red files. This was the first time he had looked into them since the explosion in SL-27. He stared at them in shock. His Pez container splashed into the tub.

***

"Syd, are you sure ??" Miss Parker sat up at his news.

"I know it sounds impossible, but there is a Prodigy here at the Centre. Raines himself told me." Sydney looked at the faces of his coworkers. He was skeptical when Raines had broke the news to him. They had another Prodigy imprisoned in the Centre. What else hadn’t he been told about the Centre’s activities ? What else was going on in this place ?

Broots spoke first." Well, what are we supposed to do about it ? I mean, Raines pulled us off Jarod's case, and we’re restricted to non essential parts of the Centre. "

"Our oxygen deprived friend is just yanking our chain. He’s letting us know that Jarod isn’t all-important." Parker lit another cigarette, inhaling deeply.

"You know, you really should stop lighting up. It’s bad for your health." Broots appeared reluctant to bring up this point. "Besides, I’m going to die from all this second-hand smoke."

Parker glared at him." Remind me to send flowers to the funeral."

Sydney smiled at them." His name is Erich. We’re supposed to meet him in ten minutes down in SL-19, so I suggest you get ready."

"Great." Parker groaned. " Like I really want to meet another genius who would love to gloat his vastly superior intelligence. As if Jarod wasn’t bad enough."

" I don’t know. Jarod was always courteous to me." , Broots replied. " I mean, all two times I saw him."

"Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Jarod threaten you ? And didn’t he crush your car while he was escaping ? You gleaned courtesy from that ?", Miss Parker asked.

"Kind of" Broots glanced away from Miss Parker’s unwavering stare. "It was the way he did it."

She turned towards the door. "Let’s go talk to cerebral boy and get it over with."

***
Erich sat in a lotus position in the center of the room, his hands in his lap. His eyes were closed and his shoulder length black hair was tied back in a ponytail. A layer of sweat glistened on his muscular chest. He did not appear to be breathing.

"He looks dead" , Broots commented.

"He’s not dead, you idiot. It’s called meditation." She took a drag on her cigarette.

"Looks dead to me." He melted under her stare. "What ??"

Parker ignored him.

"Syd, isn’t he a little young to be a Prodigy ? He looks several years younger than me. Not to mention the fact that he actually looks human, not like some psycho-nerd like Angelo."

"That’s rather cruel of you, Parker. Angelo could be your brother."

"Oh, God no. I’d rather die than accept that guy into my family tree." Parker stared at the man sitting in the middle of the room. " He hasn’t moved yet."

"I told you he was dead!"

"Shut up. I wonder if he knows we’re here." Parker looked around. " Speaking of here, where’s tube man ?"

" I hope that was affectionate on your part, Parker", Raines rasped. " I’d hate to think you were making fun of another’s infirmities."

"Oh, never. What’s the story with Cain in there ?"

Broots appeared confused.

" A TV show, Broots. I’m sorry. I forgot you only get the cyber-nerd channel ." Parker turned back to Raines.

Syd beat her to it." Why is Erich so much younger than other Prodigies ?"

Raines watched Erich through the glass. "Erich was not an original Prodigy. We bred two Prodigies together to create him. Theoretically, that makes him the smartest person on the planet."

"Theoretically ?" Parker drilled Raines with a look.

" He has not… deigned to be tested. When we bred him, we didn’t realize who his mother was. She was heir apparent to the Tong, the Chinese Mafia, and apparently was not willing to let her son be taken by the Centre. Her… associates came and took Erich back to China. We lost all contact with him until he returned to the Centre to find out who his father was. We have detained him for testing. However, he apparently learned quite a bit from his mother, and can block our tests with the power of his mind. Any time we try to force the issue, we lose a sweeper."

"What ?" Parker and Sydney looked at Raines.

" He also is a master in multiple martial arts . To date, he’s sent twelve of my men to the hospital. He’s quite good. Perhaps you’d like to try, Miss Parker ?"

" Uh-huh. Can we talk to him ?"

"Be my guest. I have to catch a plane.", Raines walked away.

"What are we waiting for ? Let’s go."

Broots looked skeptical. " I think I’ll stay out here. It’s um… safer."

"NOW, Broots."

***

Jarod scanned the landscape with his binoculars. According to the GPS this was where the Centre’s Prodigy lab was supposed to be, but there was nothing but mountains and dirt. Maybe in a cave somewhere …yes, there ! He gunned the jeep’s engine. The other Pretenders were here. The Red files spoke of other Prodigies brought here to continue their Pretender training. One of them might know additional information about the Centre’s plans. Jarod had to find them.

The cave was dark and moist. Jarod scrambled over the lip of the cave ,pulled out his flashlight and shone it down the cave in both directions. There was no perceivable end to the tunnels either way. Both stretched beyond the range of the flashlight, identical in almost every way.

"Executive decision" Jarod mumbled. He headed left.

***

He still had not moved a muscle.

"Are you sure he’s not dead ?" Broots stood far in the back of the room, out of range.

"Are you afraid, Broots ? I would have thought you were better than that. Or not."

"His control is excellent from a medical standpoint. It appears as if all metabolic activity has shut down. What did Raines say he trained in ?" Sydney continued his study of Erich as he walked around the Pretender.

"Baldy didn’t. If Raines is right, then who’s brain boy’s father ? And, worse, could he be related to me in any way ?"

"I doubt it. Both Lyle and Angelo are way too young to have been Erich’s father. It must have been an older prodigy before your time."

"Hello? Okay, we’re amazed by your meditative abilities. Now talk to us !" Parker was getting flustered." What can we do, Syd ?"

"I think that he’s testing us. To see if we’re worth talking to."

"All he’s testing right now is my patience. Really, I do have better things to do than stare at him."

"Like figure out who your brother is ?"

Parker’s head snapped around. "Did he just say that?" She stood right in front of him. "What do you know about my brother ? And look at me when I’m talking to you. Didn’t your mother teach you any manners ?"

His eyes opened. Parker stared. Broots tried to leave the room.

"His eyes, Syd. Look at his eyes." Broots tried the door, but couldn’t open it. " Let me out!!"

Erich drilled Miss Parker with his perfectly black eyes. " Before you ask, yes it is all natural. The monks say it indicates death. Whose, I’m not sure yet."

"What do you know about my brother?" Miss Parker leaned right into his face. " Who is he?"

"You help me with my questions, I help you with yours. Find out who my father is, and I’ll tell you who your brother is. Deal ?" Erich closed his eyes. " And close the door behind you."

***

Jarod heard voices from further ahead in the tunnel. He flattened his body against the wet rock face. He strained to make out the words.

" Ian is showing excellent progress. It appears that our breeding program is working. Now, if only we can get the test results from Erich, we can see if the gift holds throughout adulthood. Is there any progress back home ?"

"Unfortunately not. Erich is rather adamant about not being tested. I fear we lost our chance with that one. His mother succeeded in turning him against us."

Raines’ voice! Jarod tried to make out the other’s voice. If only they would turn into the light.

" Does the Triumvirate want the project accelerated ? We can start pulling more DNA, but we really need fresh Prodigies. Crossbreeding will only hurt us. Mutation could begin to occur."

"They are all mutants in the first place. What difference does it make ?"

"More mutation may weaken their powers. Raines, we need more DNA. Have you found any new Prodigies ?"

"Jarod put a hitch in our plans. He is becoming most annoying. Can you spare some Pretenders to track him down ?"

"I could, but is there a point to releasing more Pretenders into the world ? They might just join him."

Jarod collapsed to the floor./ The files were right ! There are other Pretenders trapped here ! Just like me, but being used in a human breeding program to create more Prodigies with even greater powers. I have to put a stop to it all. But how ?/

***

It was night at the Centre. Dimmed lights cast ungodly shadows on the walls and floors. Footsteps fell on the hard floors. Erich sat bolt upright in his bed. Someone was approaching. He leapt out of bed and stood behind the door. It swung open noiselessly. The slim figure stepped in. Erich grabbed the hand and applied a picture perfect wristlock on the subject. The figure swore, then spun in the opposite direction and struck at him. He dodged, then took his assailant to the ground. They grappled for a moment before Erich jumped up off the figure in shock.

"Miss Parker ! My apologies."

"Screw you. You broke my wrist."

"Try knocking next time. What are you doing here at.." he glanced at his watch, " two in the morning ?" He carefully examined her wrist.

" I was going to get you out of here. Now I have my reservations. OW !! What the hell are you doing ?!"

"Setting it. Now stop moving. Why should I believe you ?"

" Because you need me. There is only one person who can find out who your father is, and it happens to be the man I’m hunting."

"Jarod ? Isn’t he the first Pretender ?"

"Yes and yes. Now what are you doing ? Get away from my neck."

"Don’t mind me. I’m just going to hit a qi gong point to ease the pain. Hold still."

Parker hit the floor unconscious. "Goodnight Miss Parker." He slung her effortlessly over his shoulder. " Hope you don’t mind if we use your car."

***

Jarod sat on the floor of the cavern. /What to do ? What to do ?/ He got up off the floor and looked around the corner. Raines and the other man were gone. He carefully stepped out into the light. There was nothing between him and the door. He ran over into the shadows next to the door./Whoa !! Didn’t see that ledge./ He opened the door slowly. He slipped in, then slowly shut the door behind him. / What on earth ? / He was in a room with nothing but silver pods. The room seemed to stretch on for hundred’s of meters in every direction. Jarod crossed over to the nearest pod and squeezed in between the pods. It was approximately six feet in length, made of a titanium alloy with a circular viewhole . He looked inside. / Oh my God !!!!!/ In each pod was vast amounts of human tissue. Many pods contained fetuses or young infants, but several had children who were at least seven years old. /What is this place ? What inhuman experiments are they conducting now ?/

***

Miss Parker groaned.

"Good morning. Hope you slept well."

"What- Oh God, it’s you. Where am I?"

"First of all, I am not a deity. And second, you don’t want to know."

"Fine." She checked her pockets. "Got a cigarette ?" She sat up in the middle of the room. "Nice of you to throw a blanket under me. Now, a cigarette ?"

"None on me. And you really should quit. It’s terrible for you."

"Great. First Broots and now you. I really don’t need to be lectured." She stood up and walked around the room. Skins and furs decorated the walls. A giant tiger head adorned the wall over the door.

"Ooh- Who’s your decorator- Daniel Boone ? Is there a bathroom around here ?"

"Out the door, two doors down on the left. Don’t wander too far. I’ve got breakfast ready."

Choosing not to comment, Parker walked out the door and followed his directions. She stepped into the bathroom and was accosted by a foul odor.

"What the … ? Doesn’t anyone clean their bathrooms anymore ? Jeez." She washed up, then drew her gun. No ammo. "Damn him. Have to play his game by his rules." She headed back to the fur room.

" Better ?", he asked. " Here’s some jook. Bon appetite !"

"Jook ?" She poked her spoon through it. "It doesn’t look poisonous. What’s in it, or do I not want to know ?"

"Ancient family recipe. You boil the meat off of a chicken carcass, then cook with rice, onions, and whatever else your heart desires. Soy sauce ?"

"No thanks. Well, I guess you wouldn’t drag me out here to kill me… Hey, this isn’t bad."

"Thanks. My mom taught me to cook. I can fix almost any kind of Chinese cuisine you want."

"I may just take you up on that someday. But, what the hell am I doing here ?"

He put his bowl down. " Well, you’re the one who broke me out last night. You tell me." He slurped some more.

"The only way we’re ever going to find out who your father was will be by asking Jarod. He’ll probably want something in return for your information."

"Like what ?"

"A favor for a favor. Jarod always operates that way. Some information about him for some information about you."

"Okay, how do we find him?"

"You’re supposed to be the genius, so what’s your best guess, brain boy ?"

"That’s brain man. And the reports of my genius are somewhat exaggerated. I’m only 1.548 or so times smarter than Jarod. " He spooned out another bowlful of jook for Parker.

"Thanks. 2 times or 1.5 whatever times, you’re still my best shot of finding Jarod."

"How long have you been chasing him?"

" Over two years now. We’ve been close several times, but still no capture. He’s always one god damned step ahead of us."

"Never forget that you are a Prodigy too. You can get him." He paused. " Where do we start ?"

"Well, I can’t quite waltz into the Centre and grab the records, now can I ?" Parker scooped another bowlful from the pot.

"We can get them over the phone. Do you have Broots’ number ?"

"Yeah. But I don’t think he’ll be willing to stick out his scrawny little neck to retrieve Jarod's records."

"He doesn’t have to. Give me that number. I’ll access his computer and download anything useful." He hunched over his laptop. After a few moments he sat up. "There. Got them."

"No wonder whiz kid was able to stay ahead of us all these years. He could get our files and see how close we were to him. That son of a bitch."

"Yeah, well this son of a bitch is going to help himself to your bank account. Hope you don’t mind."

"Like that’ll stop you. Just leave some money in. Jarod has the rest."

"I think I’m going to like this guy. More jook ?"

***
Jarod moved on from the reproduction lab. /These rooms look like the rooms in SL-27. What are they doing here?/ Jarod entered a room that appeared to be a duplicate of Nugenesis. He picked up a block just like the ones Sydney had tested him with. He could stand it no longer. He flipped open his cell phone and speed-dialed Sydney.

"Hello, this is Sydney."

"Sydney, how can you stand it ?"

"What are you talking about, Jarod?"

"I’m here in the desert. They are breeding us, Sydney. More Prodigies."

"What are you talking about Jarod ? Where are you ?"

"In the Mojave Desert. The Centre has a facility here. They’re breeding the Red files, Sydney. They have pods growing tissue. Babies are being created. With our blood flowing in their veins. Prodigies. When will it stop Sydney ?" Jarod shut the phone. He had to get out of there.

"Broots, what do you know about the desert Centre ?"

"Gee Syd… Just that they do research that is unsafe to do here in Blue Cove. Something about weapons testing. Why ?"

"Our mutual friend just gave me a call. He says that they are doing genetic breeding to create more Pretenders. I think its time to talk to Erich."

***

"What do you mean he’s not here ? Where is he ?"

Raines gave him an infinitely weary look. " He escaped. And apparently took Miss Parker with him."

"What are you planning to do ?"

"I’ve got sweeper teams out there looking for him, but I don’t expect to find him. He’s a security risk to the Centre. Find him Sydney."

***

Jarod lounged in the bathtub, thinking. /Let’s put this together. Prodigies bred to create better Prodigies. A secret lab in the desert. Sydney with no clue, and me without a plan. How am I going to get those others out ?/ The phone interrupted his reverie. He wrapped a towel around himself, then answered it.

"Jarod here."

"This is Sydney. I did a little digging on the desert Centre. Apparently it is used to test weapons and various other things deemed unsafe for our Blue Cove location."

"That’s not what I saw, Sydney. It was unmistakably human tissue. What are you going to do about it ?"

"I can’t do anything, Jarod. I’m trapped here at the Centre. I can’t go outside of my office without being observed."

"What about Broots or Miss Parker ? Can’t they find out anything?"

"Broots is going to be reassigned, and Miss Parker has gone AWOL. We think she was kidnapped by Erich."

"Who ?"

"Oh, I’m sorry. You didn’t get to meet the newest Pretender. He was created my Raines twenty or so years ago. Raines bred two Prodigies to give birth to Erich. Supposedly he’s the most intelligent Prodigy yet. He allegedly took Miss Parker with him in his breakout of the Centre. We are supposed to be out searching for him."

"Maybe I will, too."

"Jarod ?"

"I could use some help with this project, and it looks as if he might be it. Bye, Sydney."

***

"Jarod is where ?" Miss Parker was incredulous.

" He’s in Blue Cove. Apparently he’s been there off and on for the last year. Right under your noses. Literally."

"That son of a bitch. Let’s get him." She strode toward the door. "Come on. Let’s go !"

Erich pulled out his gun. " You’re not going anywhere. I’m too close to let you mess it up. I don’t need a woman on a vendetta messing my chances with Jarod." He held up a pair of handcuffs. "Over there by the bed. Be a nice girl."

"You…"

"son of a bitch, yeah, yeah, I know. Did your dad or your mom teach you that extensive vocabulary ? No matter. Good bye, Miss Parker. See you in a couple of days. At least I’m not handcuffing your broken wrist ."

***

Jarod sat in the bathtub, thinking. This time the doorbell derailed his train of thought. "Coming" He threw on a bathrobe.

"Who’s there ?"

"Room service."

Jarod opened the door. " I didn’t order any room service. You must have the wrong room."

Erich stepped in. " I don’t think so. Are you Jarod ?"

"Yes. And you are ?"

"Erich."

"Ah, yes. I’ve been waiting for you to get here. What took you so long ?"

"That message you sent me took a while to decode. Now let’s get out of here before Miss Parker escapes."

"How is the lovely Miss Parker ? Last I saw her was a rather explosive meeting."

"Yes, she told me. She also told me your father killed her mother. How does that work out ?"

"I’ve been trying to figure that out myself. I never really knew my father."

"Actually that’s the reason why I’m here. Shall we discuss it over, say, a cappuccino?"

"What’s a cappuccino ?"

"You really do have a lot to learn. I’ll introduce you to one."

"Is it like a Twinkie ?"

***

"Damn him. Where is he ?"

"Right here, Miss Parker. And I brought company."

"Hello, Miss Parker. I’d ask you to try this cappuccino, but I see you’re all tied up at the moment."

"Ha-ha. Uncut me. NOW !!"

" I would have thought you would have been out of these by now." Erich released her. " I must say, I’m disappointed in you."

"I’m so ashamed. How can I ever make it up to you ? Where did you find brain boy ?"

"He was just down the hall. Room 27."

"This is a hotel ?"

"Close. It’s a rundown apartment building."

"Well, is he going to help us ?"

"Us ?"

"Yes, us. Does he know who your father is ?"

Jarod looked up from his cappuccino. " Absolutely no idea whatsoever. But two heads are always better than one."

"Except that there are three heads in this room. Or can you Pretenders not count ?"

"People, people. Can we work together here ? Jarod has some news that might help all of us, Miss Parker. Tell her."

"Your desert Centre is performing human breeding programs specifically designed to create more Prodigies. It’s possible that Erich’s father is registered there. It may also have records about my parents and your brother."

Miss Parker stood up. " When are we going ?"

"We ?"

***

Jarod and Erich looked out on the desert.

"Are you sure it’s out here, Jarod ?"

"It’s in that cave on the mountain face, about 150 meters beyond the entrance. Did you have to bring her ?"

Miss Parker was bound and gagged in the backseat of the Jeep. Erich looked over at her. "What did you expect me to do ? Just leave her? She could escape and screw up our plans. At least this way we can keep an eye on her."

"Are we going to bring her with us into the cave ?"

"I guess."

"Need a knife ?"

"Nope, got one right here." Erich whipped out a small blade from his belt. " Hold still, Parker. Or, on the other hand, why don’t you flail wildly ?" She remained motionless. "That’s better. Now keep quiet."

"Are we there yet, daddy ?"

"What ?!"

"Never mind. Let’s go."

Jarod stepped over. "Ready, kids ?"

"This place gives me the creeps."

Jarod grinned. " Kind of reminiscent of SL-27, isn’t it?"

Erich tossed each of them a flashlight. "Remember, we’re trying to get in and out without a trace. No noise if you can help it. I’ll go first." He jogged silently towards the silver pods.

"After you, Miss Parker."

"Find anything ?"

Erich looked up. "The computer is downloading anything coded with Prodigy … What’s that sound ?"

Jarod spun around. "Sweepers are coming. Let’s move !" He grasped Miss Parker’s arm and began to run towards the exit. "Come on, Erich !!"

"Go on ahead. I’ll download the last of these files and catch up with you later. Go !"

They turned and ran… the wrong way. They fell… off the ledge.

"There he is. Stop him." Raines sent his bodyguards after Erich.

He ran, but there was nowhere to go. A dozen barrels were soon shoved in his face. He surrendered.

***

"This is Sydney"

"I found something you lost. Get out here."

"On my way." Sydney hung up. "Broots, feel like getting some clean desert air?"

***

"Erich was hacking into the Centre’s genealogy records. He almost succeeded in retrieving all the records, but he didn’t realize that he is not in the computer."

Erich bored Raines with his eyes. "Who is my father ?"

"Let’s make a deal. You agree to be tested and tell us where Miss Parker is, and I will tell you who your father is."

"I cannot tell you where Miss Parker is. I don’t know." Erich paused. " If you swear to me that you will tell me who my father is, I will let you test me."

"Agreed."

***

"Jarod ? Talk to me." Miss Parker undid his collar. " Talk to me."

" I think my leg is broken, and maybe one of my ribs. What about you ?"

"I rebroke my wrist , but other than that, I’m okay."

"Where are we?"

She looked around. " It looks like we’re about thirty feet below the cave floor. We must have taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque."

"What ?"

"Never mind. Did Erich make it ?"

"I hope so. He’s the only one with the information. Can we get out of here?"

"Not with your leg, we can’t. It’s a tough climb even with gear and working body parts. We’re stuck unless we can get some help."

"Can you make it without me ? Maybe get some help."

"I don’t think so. I’m not leaving without you."

"Thanks for the sentiment, but it doesn’t quite sound like the Miss Parker I know. It’s not practical. Go. Get help."

"Even if it’s Sydney and Broots? I could just call for help, you know. Sweepers would find us in an instant. I could be home tonight."

"Go ahead." He shivered violently. " It might be better for both of us. Look at me. I can’t even help those other Prodigies in there. Maybe it’s time to give up." He shivered again.

"You’re delirious. Just stop talking." She lay down next to him, sharing body heat. "We’ll be fine. Erich will find us."

***

"These test results are absolutely incredible, Sydney. According to this, Erich is not just a Pretender, but he demonstrates other talents that we haven’t even discovered yet. He is the most perfect human being on the planet."

"Yes, Broots, but look at his gene tests. Look really close."

"All I see is a Prodigy strand. What’s so different?"

"That looks very familiar… But where have I seen that ?"

"I don’t know, Syd, but maybe Raines does."

***

"OK, Raines, I was tested. Now who’s my father?"

Raines walked over to where Erich was sitting. " I don’t know who your father is. No one knows."
Erich lunged at Raines’ throat, but four sweepers restrained him. "You lying bastard!! You swore that you would tell me. Is there no honor in you ?"

"Not in the last twenty years. Take him away."

Erich spun into one of the sweepers, loosening his grip. He then delivered a kick to the other’s solar plexus. Raines left the room in a hurry. Erich punched the last guard in the temple, knocking him out. He leapt towards the door, and escaped into the breeding room. He ran for the cave’s entrance.

***

Sydney and Broots entered the cave. " Where is Erich, Raines ?"

Raines sent a glare in Sydney’s direction. "Our most talented friend escaped. Again."

"You’re doing an excellent job of keeping your subjects. What about Miss Parker ?"

"He said that he didn’t know where she was. I believed him."

"Which means she could be anywhere, and with anyone. Did anyone check for signs of Jarod ?"

"Jarod ? Why would he be here ?"

"This place is mentioned in the Red Files. Jarod discovered the experiments you were doing, Raines. My question is why ?"

"That should be obvious. Without Jarod, we have no Centre. All of our experiments were to find more Pretenders. They’re what keep the Centre running."

"So you started breeding Prodigies in hopes of creating more. This will infuriate Erich ."

"What ?"

"Erich will destroy this place to keep the Centre from creating more Prodigy orphans."

"He can’t possibly do it alone."

"But he can with Jarod's help."

"Then we have a problem." Raines walked away.

***

"Jarod, wake up."

He slowly opened his eyes. " Tell me that we’ve been rescued."

"Not yet. You need to eat something. Here."

"A cereal bar? Do I need milk ?"

"No. It’s a huge advancement in cereal technology. No milk and no bowl required."

Jarod munched contentedly. He noticed that her jacket was thrown over him, and she was tucked very close to him. Not that he was complaining.

"Thanks for the nursing, but there’s no reason both of us have to die here. Get out of here."

"I told you I’m not leaving you. Besides, how do I know you aren’t exaggerating your injuries. You might escape while I’m gone."

Jarod grabbed her hand and put it on his leg.

She gasped. His femur was broken in three places and was sticking out of his jeans. She moved her hand up to his ribs. Her hands were instantly covered in blood. The left side of this chest was caved in.

"At least four of your ribs are broken. You have to see a doctor immediately." He laughed.

"Give me a mirror." He laughed hysterically. " What’s your diagnosis, doc ? It looks bad, Jarod, but maybe you’d like a second opinion ?"

Miss Parker looked at him. "You’re going into shock. You’re becoming even more annoying than before. It that’s possible."

"We’ll have to do some surgery. But wait ! I can’t do this ! Physician—heal thyself !" Jarod broke down into peals of laughter.

***

"Where are they ?"

Erich stood at the Jeep. Miss Parker and Jarod were nowhere to be found. More importantly, none of the supplies were gone, so they had not even come back to the vehicle.

"Maybe they were captured . I’ve gotta go back." He threw some supplies over his shoulder and headed back to the cliffs.

***

"Syd, what are we going to do ?" Broots appeared extremely nervous. " We have no leads, and no place to start looking."

"I know, Broots. The question is : Who do we look for first ?? If we find Jarod, we might find Erich, or should we find Miss Parker first ?"

"Let’s find Jarod first."

"Why, Broots ?"

"Erich gives me the creeps."

***

Erich was getting the creeps. They were nowhere to be seen. He had searched almost the entire cavern, with no trace of the two Prodigies. / They must have been caught. Which means that I have to go back into the lion’s den./ He headed towards the pod room, but pulled up short. On the floor of the cave lay Jarod's cell phone. He glanced around, then carefully picked it up. There was nothing around. / He must have dropped it while running. / He looked at the phone. It was set on speed dial to a number that he didn’t recognize. He connected.

"Sydney here."

"It’s Erich. Where are they ?"

"Where are who ?"

"Jarod and Miss Parker. Did you capture them ?"

"No, we thought that they might be with you. Where are you ?"

"Nice try, but I’m not going to fall for that. They were with me, but we got separated."
Sydney thought for a while. " Erich, you must find Jarod."

"Why ?"

"Because if you have his phone it means trouble."

"How do you know that I have his phone ?"

"Jarod rigged his phone with a distinctive ring to alert me that it was him. You have to find him. Broots and I are willing to help you."

"Why should I trust you ?"

"Because Jarod did. Will you let us help ?"

"Yes." Erich was silent.

"Where are you ?"

"Behind you."

Broots screamed. Sydney turned.

"Hello, Erich."

"Hello Sydney. Jarod and Miss Parker accompanied me here. We got separated in the pod room. I thought they escaped, but there’s no trace of either of them anywhere."

"You could call them."

They looked at Broots. He shriveled under their scrutiny.

"What ? Miss Parker still has her phone, doesn’t she ?"

"Of course ! But, why hasn’t she called us yet ?"

"I don’t know ,Syd. Maybe she lost it or is injured."

Erich picked up the phone. " Worth a shot."

***

"Jarod, do you hear that ?" Miss Parker sat up.

"Uh…" Jarod groaned. " Sounds like a cell phone."

"Yeah, mine. Now where the hell is it ?" She searched herself. "Maybe it’s here on the ground." She felt along the ground and came up with it.

"Yes ?"

"Hello, Miss Parker"

"Erich ! Thank God ! Where are you ?"

"The question is where are you ?"

"Jarod and I fell off a ledge near the cave’s entrance. We’re about thirty feet down from the floor of the cave."

"Are you two okay ?"

"My wrist is killing me, but Jarod is in serious condition. He has several ribs broken, and his leg is shattered. He needs hospitalization."

"All right, we’re coming."

"We’re coming ?"

"Sydney and Broots are with me."

"Hurry, damn it."

***

"Did you hear that, Jarod ? Syd and Erich are coming to rescue us. Jarod ?"

His head was against the ground, and he appeared to be not breathing.

"Damn it, you can’t die on me now !!"

She shoved her jacket under his head, then started CPR with her one good hand. She blew into his mouth.

"Not quite what I expected for our next kiss, but it’ll have to do."




End of Part I



Email me at : yipmaster@juno.com