Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Six ?! Good heavens, time flies! This one is for my friends who have patiently endured having to decipher my handwritten scrawls thrust at them at the most inopportune moments during the day. Sorry guys, but even I know you can't wait for the next part. Slight alteration in classification. This one is a PG-13 for some mild swearing. Global Wrapps is T, R and c by the Global Wrapps Corporation (ZA) Just think of this as free advertising. Copy it, print it, throw it down the Empire State Building for all I care. Just keep my name and addy on and I'm happy.

Zanna

zannamjs@yahoo.com


Conspiracy 6/?


***Saturday morning Jarod's house***


Debbie crept into Jarod's room. She giggled, her father was still asleep on the couch, snoring in ear-deafening tones. She tiptoed to Jarod's side of the bed and wasn't surprised to see Miss Parker lying half on top of Jarod. She took out the feather that she had found on the beach and lightly ran it over Jarod's face. He twitched. She lightly tickled Miss Parker's ear. Miss Parker tried to slap away the annoyance but ended up hitting Jarod on the nose. He groaned and mumbled something about moving to a monastery. Miss Parker slowly opened one eye and glared at Debbie.


"Morning! " Debbie chirped


"G'way." Miss Parker pulled the covers over her head.


"What time is it ?" Jarod asked, grasping for the bedside clock.


"It's just past seven. Dad's still asleep and I was wondering if you guys won't mind if I go out today ?"


"Debbie, it's seven o'clock on a Saturday morning. You are asking this why ?" Miss Parker spit back.

Jarod tried to pull the covers off Miss Parker which resulted in a whack on the head with the nearest pillow.


"She's got a point Deb." Jarod said and started to tickle Miss Parker's feet in revenge for the pillow. She hit back by grabbing his neck and lightly stroking the soft skin on the base.


"I just wanted to know if it would be, y'know, safe."


Miss Parker pushed Jarod off the bed put he saw it coming and dragged her down with him.



"I've got a solution but I'll only give it to you on one condition."


"What's that ?"


"I take my coffee with cream and two sugars and Miss Parker takes it black with one sugar."


"Oh man !" she groaned and stomped off to the kitchen. As
soon as she stepped out of the room Jarod grabbed the nearest pillow and gave Miss Parker a solid *whack* in the face.


"Why you little ... !" Miss Parker grabbed her own pillow and in a seconds World War 3 broke out.


*** Five Minutes Later ***


"Uncle, I yield !" Miss Parker said and collapsed on the bed. Jarod grinned


"Who is this ... Uncle ?"


"It's just an expression, Jarod."


"Coffee's ready !" Debbie yelled from the kitchen. Jarod and Miss Parker tried to navigate through the living room without waking Broots up. He had said something about an all-night scare-a-thon that he planned to watch and from the looks of it, he did. Empty pizza boxes and used wine glasses littered the floor along with some couch pillows that had somehow found their way inside one of the numerous pizza boxes. Ever since they had moved in, Jarod's house felt more like a home to Miss Parker. It had that lived in feeling, a quality that Miss Parker had tried very hard to incorporate into her own apartment, but compared to this house, she had failed miserably.


The three of them sat together at the kitchen table, content to just sip their coffee.

Miss Parker looked out from the enormous window just above the sink that looked out on to the beach. It looked beautiful as always, and despite her hate for cold water, she promised herself a pre-breakfast swim.


"So ?" Debbie prompted, breaking Miss Parker's train of thought.


"Oh, the solution. Well, it's quite simple actually. Do you remember that I pointed out a couple of flaws in the Pretender project ? One of them is the lack of social interaction with all walks of life. All I ever saw was Sydney, Miss Parker and every now and then, Angelo. If a Pretender can properly grasp the emotions and responses of the general public, he can react more accurately in the simulations"


"What has that to do with me ?" Debbie asked


"I thought it might be nice if Steven could go with you." Jarod smirked.


"Steven ! But he has no fashion sense !" Debbie squeaked.


"So, I'll take him to the shops. What time do you have to be where ?"


"Noon, at the Waterfront in front of Global Wrapps. " she said despairingly.


"Fine, we'll meet you there. Miss Parker, you want to join me in some illegal activities ? "


"Always."


"Bring the party kit with you when you drop off Debbie. Now if you girls will excuse me, I've got to go and play Fashion Police."


*** 11h00***

Broots woke up to an empty house and one helluva hangover.


"Deb ?" he groaned and promptly fell asleep.


*** The Waterfront, Blue Cove, Delaware 12h01


" He's late." Miss Parker glanced at her watch. She was trying to ignore six screaming teenage girls who greeted each other like they haven't seen each other for at least two days. At her side was what Jarod called their 'party kit', everything and anything that you would ever need to break into place that's as well guarded as Fort Knox. What he wanted with it though, was the $64 000 question, but she had a vague enough idea. Two of the girls that Debbie was talking to had brought along their boyfriends and were eagerly showing off their heart's only desire. She lit up a cigarette.



"How many times do I have to tell you that those things are bad for you !" Jarod scolded. Miss Parker put out the cigarette.


"You're late."


"I would've been here sooner but ..." Jarod pointed towards Steven. He was surrounded by female admirers but Debbie had an aura that clearly stated ' look, but don't touch '. Steven had a huge grin on his face as he assimilated the new world in front of him. He was dressed at the height of fashion, hair slicked back with one errant lock dangling in front of his eyes, T-shirt with an insulting message, and baggie boardshorts with the obligatory chain attached. In his one arm, he carried a skateboard that Jarod had taught him to use a scant half hour previously. Jarod beckoned Steven and Debbie over and they came over obligingly.



"Here's a couple of bucks, it's enough Steven, for you and Debbie to
participate in most of the activities. Be back before 10h30 and you might spend the night outside the Centre." Steven's eyes lit up at the last comment and Jarod started shelling out a couple of bucks. Debbie dragged Steven back towards the group and Jarod faced Miss Parker while grabbed the party kit.


"After you, M'lady."


*** The Centre Blue Cove, Delaware. Sub-level 8***


" Jarod, what exactly are we doing ?" Miss Parker whispered


" Only one more to go" he softly grunted in response. They were moving downwards through the airducts and none of Miss Parker's badgering could get him to tell her the plan. They finally stopped at a vent which was connected to one of the holding cells. It looked slightly familiar until it hit her that all the cells in the Centre were identical. Jarod unscrewed the vent and in one fluid movement, slipped into the cell. Without delay, he shut down the security cameras and proceeded to crouch near the bed. Miss Parker joined him two seconds later and saw how he tapped the sides of the bed with a practiced urgency. His hands slid under the bed and he let out a sigh of relief. He carefully drew out a thin blue file and without a word headed back towards the vent. Miss Parker fumed silently beside him. This is why she had to tag along for ? She was a woman of action and damnit! she was going to get some. She pulled out her Centre issue 9mm Smith & Wesson and cocked it into action. Jarod heard the chamber load and rolled his eyes.


"Can you please put that away ?" he grunted and pulled himself into the vent again.


"Give me one good reason."


"One, I don't plan on getting shot anytime soon. Two, I don't want anybody else getting shot. And three, the disabling sequence on the camera will stop working in a couple of seconds, so would please climb in here ?" Miss Parker glanced at the camera. Indeed, the red light on the camera was slowly getting brighter, signifying that the camera was warming up. Her eyes flitted between the door, the vent and Jarod.


"We can argue about this in the vent, let's go !" he said more forcefully.


"Fine !" she snapped back and refused his helping hand. They made it into the vent just in time.


"What was that all about ?" Jarod asked angrily


"I want to know why you don't trust me, I also want to know why I had to tag along for this little excursion. This is stupid Jarod ! I am not going to settle for being the damsel in distress." She hissed


"You ? Damsel in distress ?"


"Don't look so shocked Jarod, because that's the way you've been treating me ever since you walked back into the Centre. You expect me to look pretty and be there when you need some support, but never to give any input. Well, I'm sick of it ! I am going back to my place and I am going to sleep in my bed and I am going to do it all alone !" She turned her back to him and started crawling towards the exit. He grabbed her arm and spun her around.



"This isn't about you anymore ! I thought you had changed from that bitter, spoilt bitch that you were, but it looks to me that some things never change." he almost shouted.


They were both so caught up in their argument that neither noticed Angelo appearing beside them. He had heard movement in the vents and had decided to investigate and had in the process, stumbled into their argument.


"You're a fine one talking Mr. Vengeance 'R' Us ! Did you ever stop and think of all the lives you ruined with your damn quests ? How many families you destroyed ? Well, I've got news for you Saint Jarod, I saw it. I saw it all. I saw how those people had to pick up the pieces that you had left behind after you had finished playing with their lives. Look at yourself first Jarod, before you start judging others !" she spat at him and then disappeared around the corner.


Jarod almost went after her, but a faint sound stopped him. It was Angelo, softly rocking himself and crooning for comfort. All the agitation and hurt and rage was playing havoc with his empathic abilities.


"Oh shit!" Jarod slammed his fist into the wall, trying to relieve some of the rage that he felt, but the only thing that he gained was a sore wrist. Jarod lowered his voice and softly spoke to Angelo in the tone that he usually used on small children and hurt animals.


"I'm sorry Angelo, we both are. Do you want to get out of here ? We have to look over that blue file, remember ?"


No response.


*** Parker residence, Blue Cove, Delaware***


She was shaking all over. Just the task of lighting a cigarette was turning into a trial. It finally lit, and after taking a satisfactory drag, she checked the security system again. It was just a feeling, but over the years she had learned to trust her gut. Someone was watching her. She took a long, satisfying drag and felt the poison enter her lungs. Because that's what it was - a poison. Something to end this miserable life of hers. She was tired of fighting all the time. Fighting with a father who didn't love her, a mother who would haunt her daughter till death, and a human chameleon whose greatest pretend was duping her into loving him. Just the thought of Jarod raised her pulse. Damn him! she thought and flopped in front of the television. She stubbed out her cigarette and quickly lit another one. With every drag she took, she calmed down until something in her apartment reminded her of Jarod and it was back to square one.


"To hell with all of this !" she stormed out of her house and went to the
informal shooting range that stood in her back yard. She imagined the target was Jarod and later it turned into her father and somewhere during the course of the first clip, the target turned into herself. She was shooting herself. With every squeeze of the trigger more tears fell and the more she shook until she had to stop shooting since she couldn't see the target anymore.


He put down the binocs. He never really liked to see a grown woman cry, but whatever demons she had, she had to fight them on her own. He glanced at his watch again. It was getting late and he had to be back in Washington before five.