Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Oops ! I realized that in the last couple of chapters I didn't put in a disclaimer. I sincerely apologize and hope that Steve and everybody else at NBC will accept this apology and don't sue me. I also declare that for all chapters past, present and future that the disclaimer is in the first chapter. LET ME REPEAT THAT. THE DISCLAIMER IS IN THE FIRST CHAPTER. Also, this chapter is kinda an apology for the violence in the previous chapter. (Violence, what violence?)


Zanna

zannamjs@yahoo.com


Conspiracy 5/?


*** Parker Residence Blue Cove, Delaware ***


They awoke slowly, each becoming more and more aware of the other's biorhythms. Jarod opened one eye and glanced at the scene in front of him. He should be used to it by now, but waking up with Miss Parker snuggled up in his arms just didn't seem normal. Jarod mentally reviewed what had transpired these last couple of weeks that had led them to sharing a bed. He had found out about her sleeping problems a couple
of weeks ago, when they had to pull an all-nighter at the Centre...


*** One week ago***


They had finished their assignment at about three in the morning and they
were both too tired to drive home, so they decided to sleep at the Centre. Miss Parker took the couch in her office and Jarod took the cot that stood in the Simlab. It wasn't long until he heard a muffled cry from her office. He stormed in, expecting an attack only to see Miss Parker caught in the grip of a terrifying nightmare and she was trying to push away her imaginary assailant.
Tears were streaming down her face and she was trying to choke down her sobs. He made crooning noises and tried to grab her hands before she hurt herself, and then bundled her into his arms. Her first reaction was to stiffen but she gradually relaxed into his arms. He recognized the symptoms of Night Terrors and knew the treatment by heart. He grinned, knowing what Miss Parker would think of it, but it was the only way the two of them would be able to get any sleep.


Keeping her close to him he laid down on the couch, putting her wiry frame in front of him. He neatly molded her body to his but she stiffened again. Pulling a blanket closer he covered them both. Her body warming up, Miss Parker's breathing slowed down and she fell into a deep sleep in a matter of minutes.

That's how Sydney found them the next morning.

During the short time that they had slept Miss Parker had shifted in her sleep and was now facing Jarod, her face buried in his chest. Sydney smiled and righted the blanket that had fallen off. They both stirred but thankfully neither woke up. He closed the door and walked towards the simlab. From the amount of work that was strewn over the table, Sydney gathered that they had worked into the early morning and had decided to sleep at the Centre. The cot in the simlab was ruffled, someone had definitely slept here during the night. But that still didn't explain the two of them together on that couch, indeed it made the mystery even more confusing. He shrugged. It was bound to have happened anyway. For years he had watched the two of them circle each other, almost like two suns. If they came too close to one another, they would rip each other apart. But if there was too much distance they would both float away into the abyss that was life.


The mutual attraction wasn't always there, but somewhere on the chase his Pretender had tamed tigress's heart. Miss Parker didn't want the compliant friend or the knight in white armor. She wanted an equal, someone who could challenge her, but most important of all, she wanted someone who understood her heart and who loved her for what she truly was: an ordinary person who had taken what life had thrown at her and made herself better for it. When Broots arrived, full apologies for being late, Sydney told him that they were in a meeting and could not be disturbed. It was just as well because just after ten Sydney heard a loud thump and a despairing groan from her office that was followed by curse that would have made a sailor blush. Sydney tried to keep the grin from forming and with two cups of coffee precariously balanced in one hand he knocked on the door.


"Go away !"


Miss Parker glared at Jarod. She had awoken first, wondering why she
had this wonderfully warm pillow. Well, at least until she opened her eyes and, in a typical knee-jerk reaction, pushed Jarod off the couch. Sydney ignored her warning and strode into the room with a disgustingly cheerful face. Miss Parker hated morning persons. She glared at Jarod whose back was against the couch. Her eyes clearly stated that he got them into this mess, so he could get them out. Jarod looked sheepishly at Sydney and held his hand out for the coffee.


"Late night ?" Sydney asked handing them their coffee.


"More like an early morning. Thanks, Syd." Jarod held the coffee in mock salute


"Sleep well ?" Sydney asked raising his eyebrow.


*** Present Time***


"Sleep well ?" A voice asked near his ears


"Mph ?"


"I said did you sleep well ?" She was right, Miss Parker was definitely not a morning person.


"Good enough, you ?"


"As well as could be expected." She pushed back the covers.


"No one else would understand this, would they ?" Jarod put his hands behind his neck and stretched.


"You mean our sleeping arrangement? Probably not. But then again, most people don't have the problems that we do or have had the experiences that we had. It shouldn't bother them anyway, besides, Sydney and Debbie are the only people who actually know of this arrangement. You wouldn't be afraid for your reputation would you ? Kick ass Miss Parker is sleeping with a Pretender to keep the Night Demons away."


Miss Parker shook her head.


"It's not the reputation that I'm afraid of Jarod, it's just that if the wrong kind of people found out about they could misinterpret it and try to use it against us."


"For what ?"


"Jarod, I've been in a blackmail situation before. Hell, I even orchestrated a few. Even if we don't mind the information leaking out, these people will find other things to hurt the people closest to you. And right now that little circle consists of you, Debbie, Sydney and Broots. As far as I'm concerned my father and that walking psycho that he refers to as my brother can burn in hell for all I care. But I do care if these people are going my friends, my family." My adopted family she silently added.


Her tirade seemingly over she padded over to the kitchen. Jarod stared after her for a while and then stood up and grabbed her in a bearhug from behind. He softly whispered in her ears with more conviction that she had ever heard in his voice:


"If half the people in the world had a fraction of the love, the compassion that you have for those that are close to you, it would be a much better place. If circumstances were different nothing would have stopped you from showing that love, but they are. I am proud of you, do you hear me ? I am proud of you for giving others every scrap of love that you have. Your mother would've been proud Andy, and nothing, nothing that anyone can say will diminish that love."


*** Cafeteria, James Buchanen High, Blue Cove, Delaware***


"So Debbie, what did you do on Spring Break ?" Valerie asked and plopped her tray on the table. Debbie was so engrossed in her Jello that Valerie had to repeat her question twice.


"Deb ? You okay ?"


"I'm fine, just a little tired. What was the question ?"


"Pass the salt would you ? Thanks. I said, what did you in Break ?"


"Oh, that. Well ..." Debbie thought about how much she could tell
her friend and still not break her promise to Jarod. "... I spent it with my Dad and some of the people that he works with."


"That sounds so boring !" "Well I did mean someone nice ..."


The camera clicked every .5 seconds. Every frame was filled with Debbie telling her best friend about a boy named Steven that worked at her dad's company. He paused when more of her friends joined her. Such beauty, such pure, unaltered beauty. He patted the developed photos in his backpack, as if to assure himself that they were still there. He had to hurry if he wanted to put them in her locker before break ended.


"Morning Mr. Willis." He jumped. He hurriedly put his camera away and turned to the smiling girl in front of him. Meaghan, he thought, one of her friends. He smiled.


*** Broots' apartment, Blue Cove, Delaware***


Jarod slammed the boot shut. Between Broots's, Debbie's and Miss Parker's stuff, his Jeep hardly had enough space for it's two passengers.


"You sure that's it Broots ?"


"Yup. I can't thank you enough Jarod."


"It's okay. Why don't you go back to the Centre and see if you can unearth more of dear friend the Senator."


"If you're sure ..." Broots eyed the baggage wearily. He didn't realize that it was that much.


"Yes, I'm sure. Now scat !"


Broots grinned at Jarod's choice of words and headed off to his old Chevy. Jarod let go of the breath that he hadn't been aware that he was holding. He was glad to have some piece and quiet, since he had a feeling that in the upcoming weeks it would be a scarce commodity. Even though his and Miss Parker's nightmares had subsided, she was still a demanding bed partner. Not in the sexual sense, it was just that she was a restless sleeper. He lightly fingered the latest bruise that Miss Parker had given him the previous night. The deep purple blotch on his shoulder itched like crazy, somewhere during the night she must've hit him with her lethal hands. Company helped to diminish Night Terrors however, it didn't make it disappear. But he was determined. In the future both of them would be able to sleep one night without waking up or hurting someone or having a
nightmare. He climbed into his Jeep and with this new problem on his mind, sped away.


*** Mr. Parker's Office, The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware***


"But Daddy, if you let me explain ..." Mr. Parker held up his finger.


"Not another word Angel. At least my son ..." he put a hand on Lyle's shoulder. "...keeps me involved in his life. The least you could do is tell me what's going on in yours !"


Lyle smirked.


"Yeah Sis, tell our old man what you're up to these days."


Truth be told he was just as curious as his father. Miss Parker sighed. She was down to her last line of defense and she was going to hate herself in the morning but the slide down was going to be fun !


"All right, let's see... I'm involved in a Centre project way above your security levels combined, I stole Angelo from Raines and I'm sleeping with Jarod. Now if that's all I've got work to do."


She stood up, taking in their astonished faces and left without another
word. Only when she was safely out of range did she crack a thin-lipped smile.


"Do you think it's true ?" Mr. Parker demanded from Lyle.


"Do I think what is true ?" Miss Parker had dropped so many bombs he wasn't sure which one the old fart was referring to.

"The part of her having a higher security clearance than the two of us !"

"Of course." Lyle murmured, trying to picture Jarod and Miss Parker together. He succeeded only too well and could feel the blush crawling up his neck.


"If that's all ..." Lyle began, heading towards the exit. He really hated family conferences.


"Oh and Bobby ? Try to find out if it's true about her and Jarod." Lyle smiled, he was going to enjoy this.